1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

****The Official 2014-15 NBA Thread****

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by schmolioot, Jul 7, 2014.

1. finsfandan

finsfandan Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/three-pointers-attempted-per-game

Two more per game. I'm providing links for you to fact check what I'm saying each time I say it. You should do the same.

I chose #13 because that's pretty much around the league average and the difference is not much.

Funny how you want to multiply 2 by 82 to make it seem significant. That's like saying if you multiply the extra 100 calories you ate each day by 365 days, that's significant.

2. finsfandan

Dec 14, 2014
    The margin of threes attempted per game between the two is nearly 6 per game. The Rockets were put together by Morey, the analyst parading himself as a GM.

Goes to show you analytics isn't squat without a fundamental understanding of basketball.

Is that the trend you believe teams should follow? They're in the second round, sure, getting blown out and giving up over 120 ppg. I guess if that's your goal, go for it.

3. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    As a New Orleans Pelicans season ticket holder, I endorse the firing of Monty Williams. Terrible Xs and Os dude.

Do I want Thibs? Who's the best coach out there that can actually, you know, coach during games?

4. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Guys, I'm still just super bummed about the Kevin Love injury. Can't shake it.

5. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Feel the same way about La'el Collins signing with the Cowboys.

SICK, Boik14 and PhiNomina like this.
  6. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Mark Jackson would be a strong fit. I think he could elevate Tyreke Evans game more then any other coach. Holiday at PG and Evans as a combo guard next to him. Get a SF who can shoot, start Asik at C and Davis at PF and you're in business.

7. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Pretty sure Mark Jackson got fired in Golden State for the same reasons Monty got fired: good motivators who can't coach on gameday.

8. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Morey also went after Chris Bosh and correctly went after Ariza instead of keeping Parsons in the end. Both good moves. He was unlucky. That team is incomplete.

The trend teams should follow is the same one that the last 4 champions and the last 8 participants in the Finals followed, which tends to agree with me instead of you. For that matter..I posted the Laker three peat numbers and they are what they are. That was 15 years ago. I then posted the numbers for Phil Jackson's last two titles...they also are what they are.

Don't be so stubborn.

9. finsfandan

Dec 14, 2014
    You and I finally agree on something. Ariza gives tremendous value compared to Parsons. Bosh could've stretched the floor for Harden and Howard.

I'm not opposed to taking threes, I just don't believe it's the most important factor or one of the most important factors.

Let's agree to disagree on that one. I don't wish to argue anymore and I apologize if I got snippy.

Section126 likes this.
  10. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Well we agree on that. It is not the most important factor. That would be in order.....Off. Eff., Def. Eff., Def. Reb. Rate..and then............

11. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Unless Kyrie gets close to 100% the Cavs will only be EC champs. No way they keep up with a GS or LAC without Love and Irving.

With a healthy Kyrie?? They are even money IMO to beat whomever comes out of the West.

12. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Fatigue is hitting the Clippers hard right now... they've been playing every other day since April 22... would have been good for them to finish this series out early and wait on GS/Memphis.

13. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Are you insane? Have you seen these Cavs play thus far in these playoffs? They will be lucky to win ONE game vs. ANY WC team.

Boik14 likes this.
  14. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    BTW, The Hawks are a slight Fav vs. the Cavs Fin-O.

15. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm going to guess someone else has taken control of the head coaching duties in the Rockets. McHale couldn't possibly have thought of starting Smith and Dwight together..... finally an idea that isn't as dumb as hack Jordan all game.

16. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Ehh the Wiz have a better shot. The two best teams in the East are Cle n Chi....barring injury the winner of this series is headed to the ECF.

17. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Uh..it is a virtual guarantee that either team will be in the ECF's. Unless there is a plane crash or two.

Chicago is nowhere near being one of the best two teams in the East. Especially not in this injured state.

There was a reason that Atlanta won 60 games.

18. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I'm sane and I'd rather build a team that will make Lebron their playoff ***** for the next few years. Like schmo said he acts like the finals are a birthright every year. He needs a few more buttkickings to humble him a bit more.

19. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    The hawks stand a better chance vs the cavs especially with wall hurt. And if they're smart they'll play a small backcourt with Schroeder and Teague so they have two excellent defenders there at all times to take on Kyrie. Schroeder IMO is on the verge of really breaking loose and becoming a big time pg.

Section126 likes this.
  20. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Whoops, finals.

Are you kidding me? This Bulls team actually have 2 consistent scorers unlike the Bulls teams of the past. I think what you WANT to see is two bad teams playing bad basketball. What really is happening is the best two teams in the East are simply evenly matched (with Love out) and our pushing eachother to the limit.

This Bulls team is better than those Pacers teams who were about the only real threat to Miami a couple years ago. Why? Because they aren't offensively inept like those Pacers teams.

21. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Your LeBron hatred withstanding, it sure is fun watching JR and Shumpert rise to the occasion and propel this Cavs team likely to the finals.

Boik14 likes this.
  22. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    If Wall was healthy that series would probably be over already. I think Cleveland is getting to the Finals and I could see them beating the Clippers or Warriors but I would agree that both of them should be favored. Lebron is still the best player in the game despite the hate here.

23. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    It wasn't happening in NY for Iman and JRs contract needed to go anyway.

24. PhiNomina

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    If the Cavs win this series I like their odds against the Wiz or Hawks. The Wiz for sure. No idea what to think of Atlanta - they seem to have lost whatever made them so dominant in the regular season.

But yeah their odds vs a WC team aren't good. Golden State would run them off the floor. I think they could give the Clips or Grizz a decent series. They'd have to pray it was some crazy Dallas vs Miami in 2010 situation where it was just the absolute right match-up and they play the series of their lives.

25. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Right, but I still root for them to do well.

26. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    You are not watching the same Bulls team. The reason those Pacer teams were Offensively inept is because Miami made them that way. Those teams also happened to be #1 in the NBA on Def. These Bulls? Not so much.

This series has been a rock fight. Terrible brick city basketball. Watch a WC game..... then this garbage.

Boik14 likes this.
  27. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Lebron is the best player in the world, when he wants to be. He doesn't want to be that player anymore.

In fact..he almost blew that game last night because he wanted to go back to his Hero Ball BS.

From Synergy (Via Haberstroh):

1st half: 24 pts on 10-12 FG. Only 1 ISO.
    2nd half: 14 pts on 4-12 FG. 8 ISOs.

Boik14 likes this.
  28. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Lebron James is a god. Zero turnovers, fantastic defense...the dude remains a few notches above ANYONE else in the game.

Cmon Heat fan, where are those Lebron memes that flooded this thread the past 3-4 years?? I know they are out there somewhere.

29. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

I'm not shocked you feel that way on all accounts. Just disagree. Ecspecially when I see the Pacers ranked 23rd and 23rd in the NBA in scoring those 2 seasons. Must've played the Heat all 82 games or sumpin.

30. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    He's the best player more than likely 4 times out of 7, that gives his team a great chance at a title. He doesn't have 2 great HOF players beside him anymore. He has one great player and that guy looks hurt. Honestly its been amazing what Lebron has done with that team this year. People forget that the team was picking #1 overall the year before he got there and now they are looking like a Finals team with Irving a bunch of guys and Lebron? He's amazing, I am a Wiz fan, I don't root for Lebron or the Cavs but he's the second best player I've ever watched play, he's that good.
    How many ISOs did Jordan get in games? I mean 9 seems low to me lol.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  31. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    They also ranked #1 in Def. and higher than that #23 in Off. Eff...but why hurt your narrative?

32. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I don't disagree with any of that. But he has changed. Not for the better either. Numbers show that.

Boik14 and PhiNomina like this.
  33. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Synergy backs up my opinion of last night. The game should not nearly have been as close as it was. I was furious at the iso-offense late in the game. It isn't that ISO bothers me, but dribbling the ball for 20 secs with no movement, and jacking up a three or long two is not my idea of good basketball.

Boik14 and Section126 like this.
  34. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    With 9th best odds (and the team played almost .500 ball after the cancer that was Bynum got traded).

It's hardly the same team as last year either, so he isn't dragging the #30 team up into title contention. Only 4 players from last year's team remain, I think only 5 remained at the start of the season (that counts Varejao who is made of very expensive glass). I'm not trying to say Lebron isn't amazing, but this is a better team than others he has had in Cleveland that went deep in the playoffs.

35. PhiNomina

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    It was astounding to watch LeBron shoot the Bulls back into that game.

LeBron (or at least both version of Cleveland LeBron) is incredible in his ability to put up stat lines that are impossible to argue with while still doing a lot of things that can lose you games.

And I don't mean to sound negative - he's incredible. But the Cavs will go a few minutes moving the ball and finding good looks and blowing teams out - and then suddenly LeBron decides it's time for him to pour in 10 more points no matter how many shots that takes. It's been crazy to watch all season. It's like he hits a point where he needs the spotlight on him and is just going to shoot for better or worse.

Section126 likes this.
  36. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    It's not like I haven't been saying these Bulls were fraudulent. Didn't I pick the Cavs to go to the Finals? Fine..Love got hurt..so it opens it up for Chicago right?. So what..Pau got Hurt..evens out. Bulls have ZERO excuses. They are not now, not ever..better than ANY LeBron James team....in Cleveland or Miami.

Chicago has Joakim Noah who is playing like he is betting on the Cavs. Rose is hurt. They got Jimmy Butler and Mike F'N Dunleavy.

Hey..maybe Chicago pulls out game 6...but they need Pau to have ANY chance to win this series, and even then, LeBron is not losing in a game 7 at home. Period.

Atlanta can make for an interesting series. Basketball bettors are telegraphing the next round.

37. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Who cares? My point was they were a BAD scoring team, you claimed it was not that they were bad, but the Heat made them look bad. I provided you with evidence they were bad for about 3 straight years...worse when playing Miami ofcourse, but sucky in general.

38. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Wow..

39. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Stop watching the highlights. What he did last night? That was damn near every night in Miami. He has been very hit or miss in Cleveland this year. In fact, he has been terrible all playoffs till last night, and he was pretty bad in the second half at that.

When he plays structured? NOBODY can touch him. When he doesn't? He ALLOWS everybody else to keep up with him.

PhiNomina and Stitches like this.
  40. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Must be a coincidence that all of a sudden you spew more negativity about Lebron's game....I'm sure if he had not left the Heat (which equaled not even a playoff appearance) you wouldn't have such a negative outlook on him every chance you get.

Some of you do a terrible job at hiding your bitterness, like you didn't ride his jock strap the past 4 seasons or anything.