1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official 2012 Boston Red Sox Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Ray Finkle, Feb 17, 2012.

1. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Can u imagine if the Tigers had V-Mart......?

2. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Oh I know but how the September 2011 ended and the start of this season so far, it's starting to get funny now. This must be how Met fans felt like the past couple of years.

3. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I'm interested in seeing who or what the media is going to blame for the bad start. Can't blame the beer anymore, that's gone from the clubhouse. Can't blame Francona or Theo....

Cabrera and Fielder scare the crap out of me, but the rest of the lineup is a bit overrated after this weekend. Except for Lester, Padilla and Morales, none of the Sox pitchers had anything going for them. It's easy to hit a 91 mph straight fastball if you're a major league hitter. Don't get me wrong the Tigers are good and will run away from the Central but they're not going to be scoring 10 runs each night or scoring 1000 runs like some writers are starting to predict.

4. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Cabrera is just straight flith.....you cant get a pitch by that guy....reminds me of Manny, when he was in his prime...

5. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah absolutely. I think Cabrera is the best hitter in baseball right now. He's absolutely scary. I would just hit him in the butt everytime he came to the plate.

finyank13 likes this.
  6. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Agreed he is the best, we were talking about it the other day.....

What do you think happens in the CP role? You think Bard is going in? I think they will let it ride for the month of April, and see where it lands...

7. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I have a hard time panicking over 3 games or roughly 1.85% of the season. So no if the plan was for Bard to be a SP, you leave him in that role until he shows he can't handle it. Plus Bard wasn't exactly a shut down RPer last September too, who knows how he reacts to being a full time closer. I personally think he's more valuable in the role he had as a set up man as the closer as he pitched more important innings than Papelbon did the last 3 years and was the better pitcher. But you don't move Bard now, it would be the worst decision to make. Especially because it's not like our SPers not named Lester have been lights out. The way Beckett and Buchholz pitched this weekend who's the closer is a moot point.

Remember last year the Cardinals opened the season with Ryan Franklin as the closer and Miguel Batista as the set up man. By April Franklin was retired and Batista was in Triple A for the Mets I believe and the Cards ended up winning the WS.

I'm just going to chalk this up as a really bad weekend. If Aceves is the "closer" than I give him the next shot and see what happens. But ultimately I think Padilla will end up being the closer until Bailey comes back with Melcancon as the set up guy and Aceves as the swing man. Of course sometimes you just get lucky and get a random no name guy fill in as an effective closer (Aardsma for Seattle a few years ago or Leo Nunez for Florida for example). But I think what Valentine is going to do is give Aceves one more shot and if he doesn't lock it down try the next guy until someone fits. Basically throw crap against the wall and see what fits but panicking and moving Bard now would be the worst move.

8. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Red Sox win! YES! YES! YES!

9. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Si! Si! Si!

For some unknown reason Boston has always been my second favorite team. So yep.

10. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    i watched the game as a yankee fan to a red sox fan congrats you guys have gone through alot in the first 3 games, aceves looked good in the closer role tonight

11. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    He scares me having that 9th inning role but then again anyone would except for Rivera. I'm just happy the team showed some heart last night and fought back.

12. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I watch Doubrant last night after the gym.....I like the kid, should be a good one.....I know it is one start, but I like the way he battles.....

Will he turn out to be Lester who knows...

13. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I'd be shocked if he turned into one of the best LHP in baseball like Lester is but he should be a serviceble 4th/5th starter, which would be a huge lift and help for this team that had question marks in those spots coming into the year.

I thought Doubront pitched pretty well last night, obviously would have liked to see him go at least 6 but if he can give the team 5 innings of 2 run ball every 5th game I'd sign up for it everytime out.

Tonight really should be interesting with Bard going. I'm happy the team got a W last night because if they didn't and Bard pitched poorly you know everyone would be screaming for Bard going back to the pen.

14. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Come on....first its said CC is not an ACE in the game and not worth the contract extension, etc, but now this reaction for a total noob becoming like Lester after one game????

I would have to bust a gut over the "team" compiled and "contracts" handed out, or not handed out, I wager.....too funny!:up:

15. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Where did I say he will become like Lester?? I said "will he" and "who knows" obviously meaning, I was questioning if he can do it for a couple of years as Lester has.......

16. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    The box score obviously won't say it but Bard pitched pretty well tonight, and actually pitched better than Doubront did last night. Of course seeing 8 hits and 5 ERs in 5 innings won't say that but he allowed 6 ground ball hits and only 1 hit was actually hit hard. He just got BABIP to death. He definitely got tried in the 6th but I'm pretty encouraged after his start.

And of course Bobby Valentine going to the 13th best pen arm in a 2 run game with runners on didn't make a whole lot of sense either.

17. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    He needs to shut his cell phone off lol...

18. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    :lol: (franchise owner near Fenway - marketing to the masses)
    [​IMG]

finyank13 likes this.
  19. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    :lol:..In light of his recent ****** remark, they would probably boo him....

20. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    First Obama-bashing now this!! Luke Scott is my hero!!.....Here comes Fink with the...he shouldnt say that, my stats say he cant hit the ball out of the infield......

I actually agree, for the outsiders here who have never been, Fenway is a dump....Like Scott said it is nice to watch ball in an old park, but as far as everything else....awful...it isnt enjoyable to sit in the right field seats with your head turned to the left all game....

Fink you one of the arrogant ones? Yeah yeah I know pot calling the kettle black....

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7809515/fenway-park-dump

21. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Carl Crawford put his rehab from wrist surgery on hold to have his sore left elbow examined by doctors in Boston earlier this week and Tim Britton of the Providence Journal reports that he’s been diagnosed with a strain that will push back his rehab timetable “for at least a week.” Crawford revealed that he’s been dealing with elbow soreness for several weeks and had to delay his return to game action because of it, calling the whole situation “frustrating.”

As for when he might actually be ready to rejoin the Red Sox’s lineup … it’ll be a while. Bobby Valentine told Britton that “we’re not putting a timetable on it yet” and has previously said that Crawford would need around 50 at-bats in the minors or extended spring training before potentially coming off the disabled list.

22. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Oh I've said it numerous times that Fenway is a dump and they should build a new one exactly the same as the old one with the exact field dementions and everything. But just have 45 to 50k seats total and all the updates the newer ballparks have now.

And no I'm not an arrogant fan. I'm actually pretty boring to watch a game with at the ballpark as I usually just sit there and take everything in and just try to enjoy myself and watch certain aspects of the game you don't get to see on TV (like watching how the infielders set up before the pitch is thrown, stuff like that). I don't think I ever yelled at opposing players before, I mean what's the point?

BigDogsHunt and finyank13 like this.
  23. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    And yes I guess Lackey isn't as dumb as he looks or sounds. It was extremely smart of him to stay home today. Although I would hope fans would at least have respected the fact he pitched hurt last year (and possibly the year before too).

24. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    me too, I don't yell, clap, anything....I am the poker face of baseball fan....

you havent been to fenway park (or any stadium for that matter) until you have peed in the tubs they had *** cheek to *** cheek with some drunkard....

Come t think of it they still have those tubs?

25. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Nope, they haven't had them in like 15 years but Wrigley Field still does!

finyank13 likes this.
  26. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Hey, I have been to the new AZ DBack stadium and they have those troughs (in the club section too - so its not just for the masses) thus its not just because its old....LOL!

I have been to Fenway and I loved the experience and the stadium itself...but did have a HUGE Column just to my right that obscured some of the 1st base dugout). LOL...too funny.

finyank13 likes this.
  27. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I've pretty much sat in every section of Fenway Park (minus the newer RF Roof seats) so I feel your pain. When I went to Opening Day in 2004, I sat in RF grandstands and couldn't see the catcher or home plate ump, could barely see RHHs. It was just awful and not fun.

I personally hate having to sit anywhere past the 1st base bag to CF as the angles, columns and distance from the field just stinks.

28. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Dang, any news on Ellsbury right shoulder??? Didnt look good the way all the weight landed on it.....

29. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    seems to early to tell...

30. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Monster? I have never been....

31. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    You have to find the video footage of Kelly Shoppach's first CAREER stolen base (bot 6th)....LOL....cant stop laughing...hahahaha...that slide, priceless!

32. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    although it could be nothing this picture looks terrible.....reminds me of Jeter on the opener I think in 2003....

[​IMG]

33. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

Is it David Ortiz-esque?

34. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    What happened to Price? 3IP, left after 83 pitches?

35. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    That was a bad day for Yanks fans for sure.....but all that weight directly on the weaker shoulder joint....not good.
    [​IMG]

36. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    It may be a whole new category...:lol::lol::lol:
    [​IMG]

finyank13 and Ray Finkle like this.
  37. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah saw a game there in 2004, Lackey vs. Schilling. Manny hit 2 home runs off of Lackey, even Dave Roberts hit a HR.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS200408310.shtml

Highlight of the day was during batting practice while Troy Glaus and Vlad Guerrero were putting on an absolute show in batting practice, one of them hit a ground ball to Bartolo Colon in LF, Colon went to field the ball and it went right between his legs. The guy next to me yelled, "Hey Colon I bet if it was a cheeseburger you would have picked it up". All of the Angel pitchers in the OF that heard started to laugh and even Colon himself turned around while laughing and waved to the guy. Good times.

Sitting in the Monster is really different and unique experience. I'd love to sit there once a season but I never get season tickets up there. But it is fun to see the game from that high up and that close. But it's scary as hell up there during batting practice. I'm shocked no one has gotten killed from a line drive.

finyank13 likes this.
  38. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    The Red Sox offense was just too much for him! It felt good hitting the crap out of the Rays pitchers today (well to be fair it was only the 3rd and 8th inning). Hopefully they saved some hits for tomorrow.

And I'm worried as all hell for Jacoby and his shoulder.

39. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

Dude how the hell is he safe!?

40. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

He had a MRI at Mass General....waiting on the results..