1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**The Official 2012-13 NBA Thread**

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Muck, Jul 11, 2012.

1. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Great game.

Much more fun to watch than the Indiana series where the whole thing was about the refs and their whims.

2. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Can this team get a sweep for once?

3. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Great series? Come on Miami can't lose the home games. Now we have to win possible 2 in San Antonio , as the series is 2-3-2

4. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Good game.
    Great shot by Parker.

Also, what did HEAT do in game 1 of 06' and '12 compared to '11?
    They lost game 1 and went on to win the championship.
    Ain't mad.

5. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Yup, Not Scurred at all.

6. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

They need to drive to the basket more in the 4th quarters.

That was a far easier game to take in than the entire Indy series. The Spurs are not to be taken lightly. They play ball, not thug ball...

The Rev likes this.
  7. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    You lost game one at home and it changes nothing?? Alllllllrighty then!

Boik14 and Firesole like this.
  8. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Took about six minutes to realize this series was going to be infinitely more entertaining than the last one. Just crisp, execution-heavy basketball from two veteran, championship franchises. Really good tempo.

Not at all panicked, but can't help but feel we let one get away. We had that in our hands and took half the fourth quarter off offensively. That was essentially the difference. Otherwise it was a complete game on both ends from both teams.

Must give the Spurs credit. They had a 10-day layoff and you wouldn't have known it, save for Duncan's early struggles with his shot.

Section126 likes this.
  9. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I'm still confident. The Spurs didn't do anything that we didn't have an answer for, we just didn't execute in the 4th and got sloppy. Fatigue may have had something to do with it.

No dread. Indy posed problems that the Heat really couldn't solve. SA doesn't. We just need to execute.

10. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Yep, keep disrespecting the Spurs. Clearly last night was a fluke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    This is nothing new. Every series we hear about how the Heat are in trouble.

12. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Hater mad!
    Hater smash!

Why heat fans no scured?

13. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Sure, 3 more losses and you can get your sweep :)

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I see what you did there.

Oh those knicks fans

Sent from my phone using Fapatalk 2

Boik14 likes this.
  15. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    it really doesn't. what if they had lost game 2? (they were not gonna go 2-0 at home)

16. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Anyway..my recap on Heatfreak is right on.

This game is on Lebron, asking out to start the 4th? forcing Spo to play a lineup he has never played before? Then bricking his midrange shots?

Spurs had 4 TO's and won by 4, with Parker, Duncan and Manu playing well. I am cool with that. The advantages that were there at the start of the series are still there.

The Heat will beat this team whenever Lebron feels like beating it. He has to feel it though.

17. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    No matter how you slice it, losing game one is a big deal. You've lost home court advantage and have some serious pressure to win Sunday.

Not saying Miami will lose the series, but to act as if losing game one is somehow standard is just laughable to me.

Boik14 likes this.
  18. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Lebron can't continue to do it all by himself, Wade and Bosh have to contribute like All Stars not like role players. The next time one of those two outperform Lebron in a playoff game it will be the first time this year.

19. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    The Heat has lost game 1 of a series three times before in the big three era and gone on to win all three series. So yeah..it is now somewhat standard for this team. They were gonna lose one of the first two games. That was a given.

Pressure? Good. They actually play their best when faced with pressure.

BTW, Somebody just has to remind Chris Bosh that he has killed San Antonio/Tim Duncan his whole career. (23.0ppg 9.5 rebs 60%FG) The dude has post Roy Hibbert traumatic stress disorder.

20. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Agree.

well...he can do it by himself..if those other two are merely "good".

Wade was good for 3 quarters. Bosh was good for 1. That is not enough, especially when Bosh is a disaster int he 4th and Wade looked like he was gonna pass out from fatigue in the 4th.

21. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
  22. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I agree with rodman that im sick of people comparing Lebron to MJ. The rules were a lot more lenient then. In MJ's era it was literally no blood no foul. Its not Lebrons fault, but I just dont see it. But hey Oscar Robertson once laughed at the notion that MJ was better then him even after MJ won all his chips. Its difficult to compare across generations but MJ in his prime 》Lebron so far.

23. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Losing game 1 after playing 7 against the Pacers, while the Spurs had 10 days rest should not be a big deal. The Heat have lost 3 game 1s, and each of those times ended up winning the series 4-1.

And this team has been in situations with a lot more pressure. This is like a 3 on a pressure scale of 10.

24. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    The comparisons are pretty ridiculous. Could you imagine Jordan defending the best player on the opposing team? Could you even imagine him guarding a PF? No chance.

I'm not sure how the physicality argument favors Jordan? LeBron is the size of Karl Malone! He 's bigger than Charles Barkley. Look at the guys that defended Jordan, they were all 60+lbs. lighter than LeBron is. Jordan feasted on weaklings like Reggie Miller, Clyde Drexler, Jon Starks, etc.

The reality is that LeBron is much more physically advanced. Its just a matter of evolution.

eltos_lightfoot and Stitches like this.
  25. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Everything is really starting to pile up in LeBron's favor against MJ.

Better defender at this point, better outside shooter, much better passer, much better rebounder. Really the only thing Jordan has in his favor is that he was a better pure scorer.

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  26. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I think you may have flipped. Drexler and Starks were weaklings? Really? Jordan once mentioned Starks as one of the toughest players he played against and credited Starks with bringing out the best in him because of the competitive drive Starks had. 60lbs lighter then Lebron? What planet are you on? Lebron weighs 250-260 and Drexler played at 222.
    http://www.nba.com/history/players/drexler_summary.html

Jordan wouldnt need to guard Lebron anyway, that would be Rodmans responsibility. But Lebron couldnt stick Jordan either. Youre forgetting 2 major things...Jordan was a lion and the court was his jungle. Lebron doesnt treat it that way. He shows it in spurts like G7 last year vs the Celtics but Jordan did it all the time. And secondly, Jordan would go to any length to win...from playing with a 103 fever vs Utah to changing his game once Phil Jackson came along.

You forget how Jordan prevented an entire generation of Hall of Fame players from winning: Ewing, Malone, Stockton, Payton (until he joined the Heat), Barkely, Drexler, Miller, Wilkins...etc. You cant say that about Lebron.

Even Spoelstra says you cant compare the two because the game is different now: http://nba.si.com/2013/06/06/lebron-james-michael-jordan-comparison-erik-spoelstra-nba-finals/

You act like Jordan wouldnt have just averaged 40 instead of 30. I hated watching my team lose to Jordan every year. I wanted them to win but deep down you knew there was no chance. Ive never felt that way about Lebron. Lebron is great, hes just not Jordan great.

Jordan didnt need to handpick his team either. Jordan took the hand that was dealt him and made it work. And until proven otherwise its still 6-1. There is no comparison right now and there wont be unless Lebron goes on a MAJOR roll of winning championships.

27. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Better shooter? Seriously? Better defender? Dont know about that. And Jordan was a better scorer because Phil asked him to be. Because his team needed him to be. Had he a Dwayne Wade to defer to in that role he may have had more assists and concentrated more on other areas of the game. But he didnt. Jordan had to be the scorer because Pippen was more of a passer and deferred to MJ in those situations.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  28. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Jon Starks is 190lbs. Jordan considered him to be a tough cefender. Jordan also considered Mitch Richmond a tough defender. Thats making my case. Jordan didn't have to face the athletes LeBron has to. Could you imagine Craig Ehlo guarding Lebron?

You're essentially saying that because Michael Jordan had a certain personality, that makes him better. Scowling on the court doesn't mean jack. And there is no way Jordan could physically matchup against LeBron.

You can't say that about Jordan. Jordan didn't prevent anything single-handedly. The Chicago Bulls did. The team that had multiple hall-of-famers, and the best coach of his era.

Jordan didn't need to pick his team. Someone else picked it for him! Jordan didn't make it work. He failed over and over and over until he had Phil Jackson. Why did he retire for a second time? Because he knew he couldn't win more rings without Phil Jackson. LeBron with no help made it farther than Michael with no help.

All that Jordan has to fall back on are the championships his team won.

29. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    The numbers support LeBron being a better shooter. And he absolutely is a better defender. Not only can he completely eliminate guys like Derrick Rose, he can also guard every position on the court. And Jordan never showed an inclination to be a passer. He was a great scorer for sure, but he wasn't a great passer. LeBron James once made Mo Williams an all-star.

30. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Jordan was a great player...but the farther we get removed from his career...the more Bull**** gets spread about him.

it's hilarious.

You know what's funny? Jordan was Carmelo Anthony till Pippen got there.

31. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I would rather have Lebron the MJ. I do believe he has surpassed him as a player, honestly. Doesn't have a better career because MJ is undefeated in the Finals but one on one I would rather have Lebron.

32. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

So what you're saying is... Carmelo will eventually lead the Knicks to dynasty.

Boik14, Section126 and Fin-Omenal like this.
  33. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009

Robert Horry is also undefeated. Adam Morrison as well.

34. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    You know what I meant. As far as all time greats go.

35. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Don't rag on Eddy Curry

36. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Pretty much, once Chris Pippen arrives.

Boik14 likes this.
  37. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Basketball in the 90's was way different as Boik said. You could even put 2 hands on the offensive player.

That being said I still think Lebron would've been great in that era aswell, he right now can do more on a basketball court than Jordan could. But the things Jordan did were incredible.

Honestly, I'm one of those guys who puts Magic on par with Jordan....so until I feel like Lebron passes Magic I can't say he's the GOAT.

Remember Magic was an incredible all around player, and the only player in NBA history to score 50 points or more at all 5 positions. And he passed better than maybe anyone who ever stepped on the floor.

Boik14 likes this.
  38. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    The difference was starks actually was a good defender. He made all defensive 2nd team in 1993. Richmond as great a player as he was never did that. Way to deflect though.

Im saying that Jordans personality put him over the top. He had a drive that Lebron doesnt have. Lebron's drive is about legacy and money. Jordan's drive was about being the GOAT and money.

Nothing is done single handedly so maybe that was the wrong terminology but he was the best player on the team that prevented those players from winning. That team had 1 other HOFER, and 1 borderline HOFER (Rodman). Lebron has one of the top 10 players of his era (Wade...like MJ did with Pip) and one of the top 2 C's in the game (which is a luxury MJ never had) who also happens to be a top 20 player in the league in Bosh.

MJ wasnt in his 9th year before his first chip. Lebron had to hand pick his team, MJ simply had to change his game a little and wait for his teammates to hit their stride. Also Jordan had to beat Riley's Knicks and only a coach as good as Phil could have helped him in that.

And all Lebron has is a bunch of commercials and hype. And hopefully a 2nd Finals loss.

Jordan never eliminated players? Isiah, Dumars, Price, Starks, Miller, etc? I dont understand where this inclination that Jordan wasnt a passer came from....In 1989, when Jordan was probably at the height of his physical powers he recorded 10 triple-doubles in 11 games. He averaged 34 points, 11 rebounds and 11 assists on 51 percent shooting during that barrage. Sure he had 27 for career but when he needed to he could absolutely pass. He was asked to be a scorer and deferred to Pippen as the primary ball handler.

Also you act like being an amazing scorer is peanuts when in fact thats probably the single most important single stat to be great at. Just remember that Wade did something Lebron never did and carried his team to a championship by being what? A dominant scorer. Thanks.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  39. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    How do you know what each player wants??? Who says Lebron doesn't want to be the GOAT?