1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**The Official 2012-13 NBA Thread**

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Muck, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Mainge

Mainge Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    What story can you tell better?

2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Coaching and veteran leadership of SA makes them the toughest matchup remaining. They play D and can score...Indiana won't average 90 ppg this series.

Boik14 likes this.
  3. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    You're eliminating the human factor when you use only numbers IMO. Numbers are a guide and very handy tool but at the end of the day they don't tell you which team is currently hot, individual matchups, injuries, history between teams etc. Indiana is a dirty team at times, I could see them banging on Wade and worsening that knee. Memphis on the other hand while physical...I can't see them taking ridiculous cheap shots and their big men are an easier matchup for ours IMO than Hibbert if he comes to play.

I also tend to think team numbers matter less in the NBA where only a handful of games count and the talent level between the top and bottom half of teams is dramatic.

4. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    How pissed is David Stern right now? Three small market teams and the Heat. You can bet he was rooting hard for Lakers-Heat in the Finals after a Knicks-Heat ECF.

Statistics are a measurement of human activity.

5. Mainge

Mainge Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Well, no. I'm not using only numbers. Using only stats to form your opinions is just as bad as dismissing statistics completely.

I understand what you're saying about outliers that can happen in a short series but the fact remains that the 82 game sample size has greater predicting value than the smaller sample size of the playoffs.

San Antonio worries me because they move move the ball so well. Good ball movement probably gives us more trouble on defense than anything else. And they're right behind Indiana in defense.

Alex44 likes this.
  6. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I think we actually agree on this more than we think, we're just not agreeing on the teams. I agree with the method though, and I agree dismissing numbers would be really foolish as well.

Only reason SA doesn't scare me is that I'm not sure they can handle our athleticism and quick close outs on the ball. Aside from Duncan I'm not sure there is anyone Lebron can't shut down, and if Wade is healthy enough he adds another great perimeter defender with athleticism.

Teams aside...Wades knee scares me most. He wont hurt it MORE barring a cheap shot, but will it hold up enough is the question.

7. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    You definitely have that twisted. Why did the Heat go 1-3 vs the Knicks? Because the Knicks spread the floor and knocked down a bunch of 3's. The spurs will do the same with a better PG and a better big man. They are your biggest threat left. Memphis is Indiana with some scoring options. You will wreck indiana because they cannot score and Miami can. Much as I hate the Heat you have 3 guys who can legitimately carry an offense on any given night. If youre playing from in front of Indy, watch how hard they struggle to score.

Stern sure has a funny way of showing it after the officiating in that series.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  8. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    We were 1-2 against Indiana as well. Not sure record is a good indication of matchup in this case. I agree they lack the ability to score, I worry about second chance points with them. Bosh needs to really dedicate to hitting the boards.

9. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Heat in 5. Indy can't score, and they get their one win from the reliable home court officiating.

10. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I do take solace in the fact we are a better team than last season and they are worse. The knee doesn't bother you at all though Section?

11. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Now that its the playoffs Im sure your stars will pull down enough rebounds. And you have something the Knicks dont really have...a conventional lineup.

Alex44 likes this.
  12. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I can't stand Indiana, I can't stand the breaks they are allowed,I can't stand Roy Hibbert's flopping ***. A 7'2 guy falling on the floor 6-7 times a game?? Just stop it.

Only way this series is close to competitive is if The Indiana home officials start calling fouls on Lebron at will.

Agree, Heat in 5.

Boik14 likes this.
  13. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    I got trolled lol

14. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    nope.

15. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Oh..and I re-watch games that are interesting.

I watched Saturday night at a bar, so I was a bit inebriated to give a proper analysis.

Here is what I saw:

A) a lot of Knick fouls were legitimate. But so were Pacer fouls. One team got "watched" closer.
    B) Melo was spectacular, till he wasn't. You can not rely on ONE guy as your fourth quarter closer, because you are at his mercy based on efficiency on whether you win or lose. Ask Laker fans and Kobe Bryant.
    C) Hibbert flops a bit much. He hit the deck at least 7 times for no reason.
    D) Watching the game..it was obvious to any Heat fan that the Pacers were/are the "easier" matchup.
    E) I think there were moments of poor officiating that quiet possibly cost the Knicks the game.

Final analysis....The Knicks got HOSED.

BUT.....There is always a BUT..

I said it was a lock the Knicks win the series if it goes 7....BUT you cannot say .."They stole the series from us".

There was no excuse for Game 1. That is why you lost. You win that one..you are not in a position to get hosed.

Boik14, Ozzy and Fin-Omenal like this.
  16. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    re-sell market tanking.

On Friday..Game 1..average ticket...$550...Lower bowl....$325

Now? Average ticket $431..Lower Bowl $244..

finyank13 likes this.
  17. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    It is understandable though, none of these match-ups are worth it....

New York I believe people would have paid to see....

18. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    The NBA is extremely lucky the Heat is around, or the ratings and the ticket market would be in the dumps. Outside of the Heat has there been a less inspiring final four in recent memory?

Could you imagine the ratings for an Indy-Memphis finals?

finyank13 likes this.
  19. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I know a lot of Heat Season Ticket holders are pissed off, because they were gonna sell Game 2 in order to pay for the finals.

Think about it.

You got two seats in the 300 sec. You could have gotten EASY..$550 each (vs. Knicks). SO that's $1,100.

Finals face value, 300 sec. is $225. x 4 games = $900. So you would have gotten at least 1 ticket paid for, and well on the way for the other one. (and yes, the Heat make you pay for all 4 games, and give you a credit for next year for tickets you don't use)

finyank13 and schmolioot like this.
  20. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I think that's a fair cliff notes version of the series section. I would add two things....
    The Knicks coaching did them no favors. Woodson was so clearly overmatched it was almost comical. He never really made the adjustments necessary to turn the series around until it was too late. His misuse of Copeland was terrible. He's not a game changer but he can provide offense and spacing which the nyk struggled with early on in the series.

Secondly, its clear Amare wasn't healthy because woodson didn't really use him. If he was healthy then why didn't woods on use him? If he wasn't healthy why was he in uniform? Nyk were streaking along late in the year and as soon as he's rumored to come back this teams roles and rotations vet messed up. Either the coach or medical staff should be held accountable. Not sure amare needs to be bought out yet at 2years and 46M left but he or Tyson Must go. You can have two huge contracts on your books that don't function together.

21. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    You're stuck with Amare. You already used your amnesty and nobody is trading for that contract. I can't even imagine a Charlotte type team would be interested in a pure salary dump move like that, even if they just gave a 2nd round pick.

The Knicks are what they are for the next two years, with some nibbling around the edges possible. but 'Melo/Chandler.Felton is your Big 3 whether you like it or not

22. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    The Knicks would have been a much more entertaining series, from a pure basketball enjoyment perspective. The Indy/Bulls style is just not appealing even if it is relatively effective for them. Memphis is the same way.

Watching these teams, you start to understand why people hated those 90's Riley teams.

23. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Personally I prefer the games to be close. Indy and Memphis would do a better job of that than San Antonio or NYK IMO.

24. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    We are stuck with the salary cap hit for Amare, no dancing around that. But if fitting him in to the rotation is going to be a problem there is an option of straight cutting him, absorbing the cap hit and using the roster spot for a player who wont disrupt the continuity. Amare hasnt been intentionally disruptive; he hasnt complained about his role publicly, hasnt been in trouble but hes routinely getting injured makes it difficult on a team to get used to their roles. Thats what i was getting at.

Chandler on the hand is VERY trade-able. He played this series with strep throat apparently (just read that today) in addition to the neck injury hes deal with since april. Hes a DPOY and had a 2nd string all D team last year (as DPOY...Marc Gasol had the same thing this year...they gotta fix that) and a 1st team all Defensive this year. Hes got a lot of value around the NBA. telling you now...DO NOT be surprised if hes moved for Paul or someone of that caliber. Its not if....its when.

I can live with Felton but somewhere they need more playmakers.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  25. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    If any of you guys want 10% off at the NBAstore.com enter this code.

GbcNTjDX4Xed

That is all. Has to be on 50 or more dollars.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  26. DJvendetta

DJvendetta New Member

Mar 13, 2013
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Guys no offense, but Hibbert doesn't flop much. He is the most awkward "athlete" I've seen in a while. It's not hard to knock him off balance when he is trying to gain position, its sad....but it happens.

iman shumpert, omg this guy tried flopping every two seconds. How does he not hurt his neck vertebrae with all that bs movement lol

The heat have plenty of floppers as well. Well LeBron and Chalmers are pretty bad, but hey he'll get superstar calls with or without the flopping. I mean its understandable, he is impossible to stop anyways so you can't win either way lol

27. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I will say Raymond Felton complains like a middle school kid. He's also the ONLY guy on the team who wasn't afraid to take it to the hoop either though. Knicks talk flooded the radio today, a lot of stuff that made sense...but even more that didnt. NY needs a PF or C who can score, wich is sad when your paying a 6'10 scorer 20+ M.

More should be made about Woodson being replaced. I for one would love to bring back Jeff Van Gundy.

Boik14 likes this.
  28. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Draft lottery tonight.

Anyone want to bet that the Sacramento Kings will "miraculously" get the 1st pick? They're in 6th position right now.

#1 fan and Boik14 like this.
  29. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    So freaking mad Ricky Ledo went into the draft instead of staying at PC.......they are picking him to go late 1st early 2nd.....

30. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Heat don't currently have a pick but I wouldn't be shocked to see them buy a late pick. Just for fun, I'd love to see the Heat somehow finagle Shane Larkin or Tim Hardaway, Jr.

The Rev likes this.
  31. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I prefer Jeff Van Gundy to not coach, I enjoy his commentary. I'm sure he will get back into coaching soon enough though.

32. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Glen Grunwald is supposed to be on Stephen A Smith show around 130...it'll probably be on ESPN New York later.

Agree on JVG over Woodson. I loved JVG when he was here. No play defense, no playing time. Simple as that. PLus who can forget the way he micro-managed every possession during the run to the finals as the 8 seed and ran baseline screen after baseline screen for Houston and Sprewell who just lit it up. One of the best coaching jobs I saw in the time Ive been watching the NBA.

Also, its speculation but I hope NYK doesnt use the stretch provision on Tyson, Kidd or Camby. Only contracts signed under the new CBA are eligible for it so it cant be used on Amare but stretching out cap hits over 5 years jus mortgages your future. Worst idea ever for idiot teams...i.e. Dolan-led Knicks.

Larkin is moving up draft boards after his 44 inch vertical was the 2nd highest ever at the NBA combine. Some obscure flameout had the highest at like 45.5 inches 10-12 years ago.

You might have a shot at Timmy but its going to have to be an early 20's pick imo. I doubt he even slides that far but thats the earliest. I like him for the Knicks as well and I think he may end up a better NBA player then his teammate Trey Burke. I like his size for the 2 guard spot, hes a natural shooter and the fact he can handle the ball a little.

Another name I like for the Knicks at 24 is Tony Mitchell who is a 6'8" SF/PF tweener who probably would have been a lottery pick last year. Stock slipped a little this year after his stats dropped. But his stats dropped because teams focused on him and his teammates couldnt pick it up.

33. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I want the Spurs to beat Memphis just so I can watch Skip Bayless squirm in his chair after the Heat beat them.

34. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    As for the Heat buying a pick....

I think that is a very real possibility.

They have devoted an unusual amount of resources to scouting the Big Ten this year. For whatever reason. Riley also personally saw 5 Tourney games.

schmolioot likes this.
  35. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Keep those babymamas in check yo.....

36. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    I wouldn't mind seeing Reggie Bullock somehow land with the Heat. He's similar to Mike Miller with his style of play. He also had a good year shooting the 3 ball.

37. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/...diana-pacers-eastern-conference-finals-052113

You knew it had to happen. Nobody else was willing to step up with a Heat hating "I'll pick the Pacers" column, so enter Jason "The Fat Man" Whitlock. I suggest you read the whole thing to appreciate it's true stupidity. Since Whitlock doesn't really believe what he's peddling, and can't come up with any legitimate reasons to cricize the Heat, he goes after Spo. And compares LeBron to Peyton Manning and suggests it is bad thing. Seriously.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  38. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    [​IMG]

This pic was taken on Sunday, after practice.

After practice.

Yep....he's leaving this place....LOL

39. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    This line qualifies the whole article as what it is.

Thats like when someone says "Not to be racist but" and you know you are about to hear some trash.

40. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    :party:

PhiNomina likes this.