1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The official 2010 world cup soccer thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by finyank13, May 21, 2010.

1. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Yeah, have watched the women's team get hit in the boob...they are men too by this logic.:tongue2:

The "real Football" and Baseball players are waiting for their red and yellow cards following similar incidents during their games. Please save it....its clear to many this fact is what limits the sport of sock her and needs to be cleaned up once and for all.

2. giovafin

giovafin Rossonero

Mar 25, 2008
    Yeah, Spain deserved it.The Dutch were playing a High-Risk game with all that yellows on their defense and Holland had their opportunities but didn't capitalize so... Congratz to EspaƱa.

Bpk and adamprez2003 like this.
  3. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    with a kick to the chest? no. Rye-diculious.

4. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    The falling is the same thing they do in basketball. Last I checked football had penalties as well. Trying to prove you are a man by not liking soccer and calling the people women, is pretty petty bro.

5. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    [​IMG]
    :wink2:

6. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    ok?

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  7. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Basketball has it own version for sure. Notice I didnt reference it.

Frankly, trying to prove you are man by flopping to have a ref determine the "intensity of the penalty" is the joke. All sports have rules and consequences, however, "the variable" of this one is sad...this World Cup has shown its flaws. They can fix it and make it better clearly.

Just saying....Sock Her is Sock Her until they agree to fix its limitations.

8. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Red Card for Spelling....its the equivalent of the flail and call...I thought it was an ingenious use of the CARD system for no logical and consistent reason - hence fits in with sock her crowd.

:shifty:

9. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    And again proving you have huevos by just disavowing any physicality of the game is pretty ridiculous.

10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    OT:
    [​IMG]

EPIC Security WIN

11. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    One could say the same for your logic in this case. You sure you aren't a soccer fan?

12. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Honestly, I always enjoy the World Cup and I do accept its flaws....I do agree with others that want to look at this game and wish it wasnt as transparent as it was with the constant flopping and whining (especially when ZERO contact has a occured) to bait the ref. That takes alot away from it. And when compared to the impact and what it equates to in Soccer vs. Basketball its not close since the # of points in BB vs. the PK often in Soccer for a well timed and placed flop is often the biggest difference.

I accept its part of it...but I will always know why its limited to American macho appeal. Its flaws are what makes it lacking in the mind of Americans and their blood and guts mentality.

I enjoy it but find it lacking all at the same time. Thats all.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  13. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    There's no point in arguing with someone about the physicality of soccer who compares it to.........

.....baseball? WTF? Ignorance indeed!

14. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I like my soccer like I like my women...thus...they are equal.:lol:

15. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    I agree with this. I don't like the consistent flopping and whining, however, I don't think it has any bearing on how tough a sport soccer is.

I think americans need to get over themselves. Theres no reason to constantly need to prove you are tough, first of all and second the sport you watch has nothing to do with how tough you are.

16. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    If you want to misinterpret or take out of context the comparison go for it....it was a comparison of "cleat-sports" and contact....you obviously have never broken up a double play, dove for a ball in the outfield with an oncoming infielder or crashed into a fellow outfielder, or watched the home plate collision, etc, etc, etc. Its all relative and accurate for measuring inadvertent cleat contact.

17. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    ? evry four years?

18. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    says the guy who's heritage celebrates bull fighting :tongue2:

BigDogsHunt and unluckyluciano like this.
  19. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Yeah maybe thats why I am so opposed to it. I grew up around the constant need/desire to prove how tough you are. Gets on my nerves to be honest.

20. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Well it has a bearing...that's the eyes that watch it and try to enjoy it, or want to fall in love with it, but see the warts and compare it to other sports and it doesn't stack up for them.

Americans need to get over themselves? Never...greatest is greatest for a reason. Wannabees or pretenders are just that.

Actually, its not a need to prove you are tough....that's not even close to it....its about never proving that you are actually a wimp - thats what americans frowns on...you dont have to prove you are tough...you have to avoid being a p***y while puffing your chestout like you are tough!

Seriously, thats the flaw.

21. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Exactly, I let them take the stage and pretend they own it....yes! It lasts less then a month at least.:lol::hi5:

adamprez2003 likes this.
  22. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I actually like the sport. of course i tend to see steak and hamburgers. evil bulls. how dare they not be a juicy steak on my plate

23. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Congratulations to Spain. They have a fabulous squad and they deserve it.

But this might have been the worst match of the entire world cup.

Bpk likes this.
  24. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    If americans can support baseball after the black sox and the nba after the ref corruption, america can take a little flopping :lol: It has nothing to do with the warts of the game or flaws and everything to do with america just not being number one in it. If america was number one in it you bet your *** there would be a lot more interest in it. Don't believe me look at the progression soccer has made in recent years.

America is great because of reasons other then what sport they watch. One has nothing to do with the other.
    And not every player, not even the majority do what you describe.

25. emeraldfin

emeraldfin All I've got is insane

Dec 12, 2007
    Carlow, Ireland
    High risk???

I would call it brutality.

Weak referring ruined footballs biggest event.

26. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    We can agree to disagree...not sure the relevance at all about being #1....based on Baseball we have not won any of the World Baseball Classics to date, and not fared well in Olympics thats its been in and out of the rotation - thats fine, yet its top 4 in American interest....haven't won World Hockey or latest Olympics even, yet still the same love and interest....haven't won every Basketball world, pan-am, or Olympic games, etc, etc. Lack of competition for American Football is that sports problem for measuring it against others while keeping America's interests, etc.

So I just dont think it really has anything to do with #1.

Others here have voiced their legit concerns from their perspective of the game of Soccer. Jokingly the concept of Sock Her fits with what this World Cup displayed.

So while we can agree to disagree, its not a lone-voice thing. SOCCER has problems in garnering the interest and attention of Americans...and there is a mindset that acknowledges that the World loves it...and the response is "not surprised by that - let the rest of the world have it!", its a fact and its not really about whether the Men's team is #1 or not. Hasnt really changed the impact from Women's perspective their their #1 ranking and Olympic or World Cup wins has it?

Its the sport thing, and I can see how many say its the "wimpyness of the athletes in their regular and consistent actions that turn them off". It doesnt mean Soccer players are wimpy, it means their actions are. I can see that easily as a turn off to the viewing audience wanting to like it. I enjoy it for what it is, but want it to improve.

P.S. America is great for so many reasons, sports is way down on the list.

27. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    well the good thing about the outcome is Spain won with a beautiful style even though they werent allowed to display it fully this world cup. Since teams tend to emulate winners it should swing the fulcrum back to playing with skill. If the Dutch had won with that style can you imagine how many teams would try to emulate them? It would have ruined soccer

emeraldfin and MikeHoncho like this.
  28. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i dont think its the wimpiness but rather the difficulty of scoring which is inherent in the sport. Its the same problem Hockey has. Its why basketball is so popular IMO. From my perspective basketball is the most boring sport out of the top four yet its probably surpassed baseball in popularity. Its all about the casual fan and casual fans cant be bothered by nuance. they just want to see scoring. Its why football keeps changing the rules to favor offense to the detriment of the sport. For that dip**** who cant even name his team's QB

29. emeraldfin

Dec 12, 2007
    Carlow, Ireland
    I agree that at least we had the right outcome with a Spanish win, but for someone who loves football that was just awful. The Netherlands have some very talented players on that team and could have went out and played with style and flair instead of trying to injure their opponents and play negative football.

I am so pissed to see someone like Van Bommel not only be allowed play tonight (should have been sent off against Uruguay and Brazil) but for that **** to have stayed on the pitch for 120 minutes is just insane. The ref was awful tonight, he was weak and allowed the Dutch ruin footballs biggest spectacle.

30. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Netherlands got away with a lot of **** not just in this game but in others. Im actually glad they finally got called on it.

Bpk and emeraldfin like this.
  31. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    That's part of it.....sure Football or Baseball or Hockey can have a 1-0 game....but we also know they can (even Hockey) have big scores....maybe its the lack of consistent chance for high upside to really garner the fans and get the juices flowing??

But combine lack of scoring with wimpyness and its not a good mix is it?

32. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Women's soccer for a long time was very popular. Everyone knew mia hamm, not very many knew players on the US team it wasn't till they got usurped recently, that it kind of slowed down.
    Look at gymnastics. It has become pretty huge in the olympics with a good fan base to where they can air the college competition on ESPN. I think it has everything to do with being top in it. I don't mind saying soccer has problems as it certainly does, I mind saying its not macho enough and that is the primary reason it hasn't become big in the US.

Firesole likes this.
  33. emeraldfin

Dec 12, 2007
    Carlow, Ireland
    I dont mind teams being physical and getting in the faces of the opposition,but the Dutch went totally over the top tonight and in the last few games.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtXZ_14FfQw"]YouTube- De Jong Kick To The Chest On Alonso Yellow Card Spain Vs Netherlands World Cup Final[/ame]

Honestly how the **** can someone only be yellowed for that?????????

Bpk and Firesole like this.
  34. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Like I said above.....perhaps its partly because of it. It is part of it....not the only thing...but part.

But combine lack of scoring with wimpyness factor and its not a good mix is it? Again, doesnt mean the players are wimps...its about actions! May not be what anyone wants to hear or accept, but there is that element that is a turn off for some it seems.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  35. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Yeah. That's the "Power Ranger" play I was referring to earlier. Wow. It seems to get worse and worse with each viewing.

emeraldfin likes this.
  36. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    Should have been a straight red, no doubt. Only thing I can think about is that it happened so early in the game...ref probably didn't want that on his head. But still...that was BAD and you HAVE to call that.

emeraldfin and adamprez2003 like this.
  37. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I think its because its the Final. If you give Spain a one man advantage, the game is over. some of those fouls came early in the game. if you make the dutch play a man down 15 minutes into the game that becomes the story and you still get an underwhelming result. the time to have gone after the Dutch was earlier in the tournament. They were fouling left and right in earlier rounds

emeraldfin and Bpk like this.
  38. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    I don't mind saying its not fast enough for americans. Baseball is looked down on for that reason, but keep in mind, how many people say baseball is wimpy when you and I both would agree it is nowhere near wimpy. Which is my point I think it goes from I just don't have an interest in the sport to some excuse having to be made for not liking the sport in this case the flopping. :wink2:

39. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    [​IMG]

Good thing they checked the guy out.

Might have been bleeding from the inside of his chest...

Bpk, unluckyluciano and adamprez2003 like this.
  40. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    :lol: