1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

~The OFFICIAL 2010 NBA Playoffs Thread~

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by GISH, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Or a phantom Pass Interference penalty that basically decides a game.

That is why I giggle when people say the regular season in the NBA doesn't matter.

If you win enough games...you get home court/home cooking.

The Lakers won this game 7 when they won more games than the Celtics in the regular season.

2. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    I have always been equal to the NFL/NBA with NCAA Football very, very close. I follow all three like the bible, but there's probably a slight bump in favor of the NFL.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    You have to be really bad to be worse.

But, it isn't. The refs don't control a game the way the refs in the NBA do.

4. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Aside from the Patriots I agree.

There is no such thing as a fairly called sport, or league for that matter... but the NBA is really bad and has gotten worse by the year.

Anonymous likes this.
  5. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    That makes two of us.

Unfortunately, the Panthers blow.

6. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    "Holding...Number 77...offense"

(Now go sit down *******s..I just killed your drive.)

3rd and long....

"Illegal contact....5 yards..automatic first down."

(LOL, you thought you were getting off the field didn;t you...)

"Pass Interference...first down.."

(How do you like that 47 yard penalty in a tied game?...bet you thought I wouldn't call that huh?)

7. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Come on man, do they really control it the way the refs do?

8. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    I am apologizing to you all in advance if/when Pat Riley surrounds Wade with a Championship supporting cast.

That is all I have left to say about officiating, being totally fair and unbiased. :lol:

9. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I dont think one is worse than the other. I think it all depends on the situation. After 9/11, clearly the PATRIOTS were going to be the favored team. A team that was downright awful in the early Bellichick years and then Bledsoe goes down and some unknown QB that looked like he came right out of an MTV show, and all of a sudden he's the best thing since sliced bread. Then the team gets all kinds of lucky breaks and suddenly they're America's Team and blah blah blah. The Patriots are the only team that clearly has the NFL and possibly the US Government's back. Theyre the only team in the history of sports that has entire rulebooks rewritten for them. Sucks for us being in the same division as them. :(

10. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    I don't get the point of this. You just named 3 penalties in football.

11. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Does anyone think KG is going to retire?

12. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Of course they do.

Jake Long is right at the point where he will be allowed to hold on every play and be on the fast track to the hall of fame.

Darrelle Revis is already at the point where he can grab and interfere on every play and never get called.

13. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    That are often bull**** when they get called.

14. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    I don't think so. Not quite yet. I think he'll give it another go next year. But now is the first time in his career where he will start to question it. "I need some time to think" may pop up this offseason. Oh hai, Ed Reed.

15. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    They just asked Kobe what this championship means to him...

"I've got one more than Shaq. Now you can take that one to the bank."

Owned.

Anonymous likes this.
  16. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    LOL..."Star Treatment"

Do you guys know that Champ Bailey went almost 3 seasons without...WITHOUT a Pass Interference penalty?

That Michael Irvin was not called for offensive pass interference for the first 5 years of his career? and only got called for it twice in the three super bowl seasons?

17. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Funny, did you re-up your NBA season tickets yet Sect?

18. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    I remember the FIRST THING Dwyane Wade said after winning the 06 Finals:

"I can't believe I missed them free throws."

Kobe Bryant should be thanking his teammates like hell right now, and the Boston Celtics as well. Too much acknowledgment from the media of how great he is for me.

19. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    So this was a 1 game series? How about the other 6 games?

I doubt you're a Kobe Bryant fan, you just added that so you don't seem like you have a bias. And Dwyane Wade is better than Kobe? You're kidding me right? Only a teenager could say something like that and it shows you're knowledge of basketball is limited to the boxscore and nothing else. I don't want to get in an argument with you or anything like that, I just want you to validate your opinion that Wade is better than Kobe.

Kobe never had an all-around, Hall of Famer defender (Scottie Pippen). Nor did Kobe have anyone having a rebound avg of 15/game (Dennis Rodman), or a player shooting 50% beyond the 3-pt line (Steve Kerr), or a solid 13pts/10rbd (Horace Grant) just to name a few.

Jordan was winning in 90-93, retired from basketball, came back, and then won again from 95-98. If you really are 21 years old, that would mean you were born around 1989/1990, which means you were around just being born when MJ was in his prime and when MJ returned from baseball and went on another 3-peat, you were now around the age of about 5 years old. My point is you only know Jordan's play through highlights yet make bold statements as if you watched and understood the game of basketball and watched MJ's competition, teammates, his mistakes and such which doesn't seem likely. Not to mention the fact that you cry about Kobe's star treatment yet never mention the treatment Jordan received PROVES your knowledge of MJ is strictly through Nike commercials. Don't form an opinion without substance. Anyone on these boards that watch Jordan played in his prime and understood the game KNOW the "star treatment" Kobe is receiving is microscopic compared to what Jordan received.

Jordan without Hall of Famer Scottie Pippen (5 seasons):

.430 winning %
    3 playoff appearances (swept twice)
    Never advanced past 1st round
    1 Career playoff game victory and 9 Losses
    0 MVPs
    0 Finals MVP
    0 Championships
    0 Defensive Player of the Year
    0 NBA All Defensive Team

Kobe without Future Hall or Famer Shaq (6 seasons):

.650 winning %
    3 consecutive Finals appearances
    1 Reg season MVP
    2 Finals MVP
    2 Championship
    2 NBA Scoring titles

20. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I don;t own NBA season tickets.

I have a guy that gives me tickets every once and a while...and my buddy has a few seats and I go every once and a while.

I buy ALL the playoff games though. But I don;t own them.

But I will say this...the experience at the Triple A puts the Sun Life Stadium experience to shame.

padre31 likes this.
  21. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Well, superstars get the calls in every league... I honestly don't even think that's a flaw... even in the NBA where possessions are more individually driven. That's just the way it is. In a sense, you can say that it's earned.

My problem is when Team A starts getting all the calls from PG to C, and Team B does not.

22. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    I honestly did not read this post, and was personally asked by a moderator not to respond to any of your posts.

23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Tee hee, when was the last time such a call was made in the 4th qtr in the SB on a game winning drive attempt?

Or how about a hold that meant each and every subsequent holding call meant a Field Goal could be attempted..oh, that's right...:D

Right, so call defensive holding, meanwhile there is thos pesky other 58 minutes to deal with...

NBA is Pro Wrestling dressed up Sect.

24. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    I'm calling it now, Heat/Lakers 2011 NBA finals.

25. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    You cant tell me soccer isn't rigged either, the refs have alot of control too. Free kicks, red cards, yellow cards, ethnic bias, location bias, ect. You wonder why there's so many riots.

26. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Funny...the Best teams always seem to win in the NBA...while in the NFL you have this crazy randomness all the time.

Zeke0123 and Boik14 like this.
  27. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    But the refs don't control it like the way they do it in the NBA, sect. Down the stretch, the Lakers will get the calls over the other team in the Finals. It doesn't work like that in the NFL.

28. Thunderbolt89

Thunderbolt89 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Would love to see that. Great game and as a Laker fan can't wait to buy a championship shirt. Hope for a three peat next year but back to back champs is good enough.

29. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    This is why Id rather bring Haslem back. :up:

30. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    I still can't believe Ray Allen didn't follow up any of his horrible shooting nights with coming out performances after that Game 2.

31. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    BTW Wade just Twittered this:

32. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    And this is the way it will always be. Over the past two decades the majority of the teams that won the crown were one seeds. The majority of the teams in the finals were 1 or 2 seeds. The Celtics were an anomaly in that regard. Its a sport driven by talent and ultimately the best team usually wins and you'll find it to be no coincidence that they usually have the most talent. It always has been and always will be a talent driven league.

Here it is in black and white for you, the champions over the last 20 years and count the all stars and hall of famers. You wont find any teams going on miracle runs, it just doesnt happen. There may have been a 3 seed or a 4 seed here and there and I think one year there was a 5 seed but theyre few and far between....

6 bulls teams: Jordan/Pippen/Rodman/Harper, Jordan/Pippen/Grant
    5 LAL teams: Kobe/Shaq, Kobe/Gasol/Odom/Artest
    4 Spurs teams: Duncan/Robinson/Elliot, Duncan/Robinson/Parker/Ginobli
    2 Rockets teams: Hakeem (who was arguably the best player without Jordan around for those two years)
    1 Heat team: Wade/Shaq
    1 Piston team: Sheed/Billups/Hamilton/Prince/Wallace (all stars either that year or the next..arguably the one team without a huge star which explains the shortness of their run)
    1 Celtics team: KG/Allen/Garnett/Rondo

Like I said...tons of stars many of which were the best in the game at that time. Elite talent wins in this league. Always has. Go back to Bill Russell, Bob Cousy...pick an era it wont matter. If its not the single best player in the game winning the championship you'll find just about every team has 2-3 all stars or hall of famers.

krypto and Section126 like this.
  33. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le5aIqn_MfE"]YouTube- I Love L.A-Randy Newman Music Video[/ame]

Suck it Haters. I hope you choke on it and swallow it dry.

Finsanity and Zeke0123 like this.
  34. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

You guys hear the rumor that Rasheed tried to force himself into the refs office and was kicked out of the arena? Supposedly he was on the team bus in his uniform. :lol:

No word on whether or not the missing patch of hair made it back onto the team bus though.

Anonymous, Boik14 and MikeHoncho like this.
  35. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm..now why would that be?

How about-in the NBA, the "stars" and favorite teams get the calls and additional scoring chances, in the NFL the officials simply call penalties?

Randomness is also known as "may the best team win".

36. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Not only that, but its usually big market teams that make it to the finals. You'll never see Milwaulkee or Oklahoma City in the Finals.

37. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    Congrats to any Lakers fans out there!

38. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    Tough loss. The free throw disparity was interesting (to say the least), but that's why you fight for home court throughout the regular season. I can't complain about the officiating because you're not going to get the calls in any potential Game 7 on the road.

Credit the Laker defense though, they were phenomenal down the stretch.

It really does suck losing to that organization. Their roster is littered with loathsome s*itbags who deserve nothing but misery. (Now I feel better)

I'm hoping the Sox take out this frustration on the other team from LaLa-land this weekend. Show no friggen mercy.

Seriously though, good game and good series. Its been a fun ride in this thread throughout the playoffs -- especially after the Magic fans stopped their whining (only kidding, kinda). :lol:

39. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    You had to open your mouth prior to Game 7 and predict a Celtics loss. Forget the officiating or lack of offense, that was the real death knell.

Section126 likes this.
  40. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    And Pao Gasol is a top-10 player in the NBA right now, and on his way to becoming a HOF.

Boik14 likes this.