1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**The Official 2008-09 New York Knicks Thread**

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Boik14, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Experience the misery of losing 55 games again! For 82 games you too can watch Marbury sulk while Jerome James and Eddy Curry wobble up and down the floor. :no:

Just lose baby. We need high draft picks and expiring contracts. :tantrum:

2008-09 predictions:
    Record: 25-57
    PPG: 103
    PPGA: 110
    Leading Scorer: Zach Randolph (19.5)
    Leading Rebounder: David Lee (11.5) - this should be one bright spot
    Leading Passer: Duhon (7.0 APG)
    Leading Shot Blocker: No one, we havent blocked a shot in 3 years, dead last 2 of those years.
    Most Underserving Training Camp Cut: Patrick Ewing Jr. - I mean really, at least the kid tries. Thats more then you could ever say about Jerome James who isnt even trying to get in playing shape!
    Estimated Date of First Marbury Blow Up: November 5th.
    Date Eddy Curry Drops Under 275: Depends how much D'Antoni makes him run. Im guessing January 1 after he parties on New Years and upchucks a child or two he ate on Halloween. :pity:

Things I am looking foward to seeing:
    Nate Robinson cement himself as a less volitile Allen Iverson. In a contract year, finally given a 30 minute a game role, I suspect he could challenge Randolph and Crawford for the team lead in points. Im praying they resign this kid and pair him with a tall PG who can defend. He can fill it up and hes learned to be unselfish.
    Wilson Chandler: Mike D'Antoni compared him to Shawn Marion. I will wet myself if he becomes that good. There are encouraging signs.
    Chris Duhon: Havent seen a good passing PG since Rod Strickland and Mark Jackson were traded and Derek Harper retired.
    Zach Randolph: While its a given he will be gone by the "Summer of '10", I am anxious to see if he can change his game enough to where the Knicks can get something of value for him. Ditto for Crawford. 1st round draft picks and/or young players preferably.

Well Knick fans, lets weep together as we dream of the Ewing years gone by. Share the Misery! :up:

2. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    As I type this, I have to say Im in shock. They look like a team out there up 18 at the 6 minute left mark. 27 assists...they havent had 27 assists over 2 games under Isiah a lot of nights.

3. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    who is their coach now?

EDIT: Is it Mike D'Antoni?

EDIT 2: yes, yes it is.

4. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Hey, maybe they are like the rays and become a great team this year

5. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Did they almost blow it?

6. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    ya they tried hard. They had a flashback to the way they played last season from the 6 minute mark to the end of the game. :shifty:

7. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    D'Antoni is a huge upgrade over Isiah Thomas. Did he try to kill himself last week with sleeping pills? I think it will be the Celtics and Sixers battling it out for the division, but my Sixers looked crappy in their opener.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  8. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Thats more like the Knicks we know and cant stand. Lose by 116-87 to Philly on 32% shooting.

Two good things did happen tonight though:
    1. Rookie Danillo Gallinari scored the first 2 of many NBA points to come.
    2. Stephon Marbury recorded his 2nd straight DNP. D'Antoni stated after that Marbury wont be dressing for the foreseeable future. +1 for Coach D. :)

9. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Thats more like the Knicks we know and cant stand. Lose by 116-87 to Philly on 32% shooting.

Two good things did happen tonight though:
    1. Rookie Danillo Gallinari scored the first 2 of many NBA points to come.
    2. Stephon Marbury recorded his 2nd straight DNP. D'Antoni stated after that Marbury wont be dressing for the foreseeable future. +1 for Coach D. :)

10. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    I hate Jamal Crawford when he plays Miami. He's just a different player against us for whatever reason.

I know the real you, Jamal. You're not that good. :wink2:

11. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Sixers looking really good. :lol:

12. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Theres a reason we call him Jamal Crawful on some nights....other nights we call him Chuckford cause he'll just be chucking bricks from everywhere. :lol:

Hes just a very hot/cold player in all seriousness. Very inconsistent streak shooter and there are nights he can be all or nothing. Hes a much better player when he takes it to the hoop and takes less 3's. Guess you guys have just been on the wrong end of that.

13. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Hey nice win tonight over the bobcats. 25 and 13 for z-bo...nate robinson went nuts in the 2nd quarter for 24. Can we start this guy full time yet?

14. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    First time the knicks are 4-2 since 2000. Ill bet no one thought they would be 4-2 at this point, myself included.

Damn, I feel like the Indians fan in the movie major league. Im happy when they win even though I want them to lose since they have such a shortage of interior defense and seem like such a mismatched bunch.

15. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    The knicks fall to 6-4 tonight vs Dallas in OT. Crushing loss. they had every chance to pt this team away but allowed Dallas to score the last 7 of regulation and the first 8 of OT. They looked tired and sluggish at the end of the game. Worst game of the week for Crawford (who was Crawful tonight) and Nate Robinson. Chandler and Nate were bothered by fouls all night, and Chandler drew the ridiculous problem of covering Dirk. Dont feel too bad kid, youre not the first to allow 39 to Dirk.

Hats off to the 2 Knicks who played very well....Zach Randolph (27 and 18 on 50% shooting) and Chris Duhon (16 and 12 dimes). Randolph has I believe 5 or 6 straight games with a double double and is hustling for loose balls the way he never did in the past. And Duhon is looking like the Mad Scientist is trying to replicate Steve Nash. He's not quite there yet but hes getting better each game.

16. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Al Harrington traded to the Knicks for the expiring contract of Malik Rose: WALSH CUTS A DEAL FOR AN OLD FAVORITE - New York Post

Good move by Donnie on a buy low candidate. Harringtons contract ends after next year and could still have further value. Never has a player looked more out of place then Malik Rose in an up tempo offense.

17. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
  18. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
  19. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Clippers nearing trade for Knicks' Randolph - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

20. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    Interesting. I kind of like Tim Thomas for some odd reason, and Mobley has playing alright lately. But the Clippers needed someone who can score, and this clears some room for Ricky Davis and Eric Gordon to play more I assume. I wonder what the rotation will be with Kaman/Randolph/Camby?

21. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Atlanta
    Credit to Donnie Walsh to clearing a ton of cap room and still getting Harrington who should work well with D'Antoni. They now have enough cap room to offer 2 max contracts, and all rookies and vet. min players. A combo or Lebron, Wade, Bosh, or Amare would be sick...

22. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    The Knicks automatically will be a better team just having D'Antonio.
    These trades are genious.
    Filling Role Spots AND clearing cap room.

Now if Starburry will just retire, the Knicks could be the Most Improved Team....

23. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I thought Thomas was an unsung player for them as well. A big SF/PF who can provide long range shooting to open things up for post players like Kaman and Camby. Mobley was a solid 2 on a team where there's not much to choose from.

I've been wondering that as well. But I also wonder if Davis can even work well with Randolph. Baron's a good passer but I doubt he can split the ball in two for the both of them. Davis hasn't shot well though and I gotta wonder if Dunleavy's not happy with him, which could mean Gordon gets an edge.

24. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    so i had a friend of mine make a bet for this weeks games and i did a parlay and i added the redskins who's number was 227, well they gave me 527, which was Knicks for tonight +4...Good thing was i caught it in time and had it fixed, and lucky i did because now i still got a chance to win my parlay

25. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    27m in cap space was cleared today for 2010. A great day in Knicks history and the start to a true rebuild.

Next up:
    Goodbye to steps 21.9m at years end
    Goodbye to Malik Rose's 7.5m at years end
    Lee and Nate Robinson are optional resigns who may get dealt.
    Goodbye to Duhon (5.5), Harrington, Mobley, and Tim Thomas at the end of 09.

Only tough contracts left to dump are Curry and Jerome James albatross butt. Jeffries is probably moveable at 5.5 if they choose to.

Lebron and Bosh in 2010 please. Then resign Duhon who has played solid so far.

I agree on all counts. I love D'antoni already. He won me over with his handling of steph. He offered Steph a chance to play a solid 35 minutes tonight and Steph threw it back in his face and said "no, you should play the young guys" because Steph didnt like that the only time he can suit up is when hes asked. Well sucks for Steph but D'Antoni is the man. :knucks:

I wonder if Tim Thomas still thinks Kenyon Martin is a fugazy?

I think what you will see with LAC is something like:
    PG: Davis
    SG: Gordon
    SF: Davis
    PF: Randolph
    C: Kaman
    6th man: Camby (who is familar with the 6th man role from his days in NY whe he came off the bench on occasion)

Not bad. Gordon should present a good shooting threat and Randolph will help make up some of the low post scoring that was lost with brand. I truly think Randolph was coming around and in a winning environment finally, he could flourish. There is upside to that in that Randolph is already one of the top talents in the league and if the light ever goes on and theres players around him he could be a very nice player. Just my 2 cents. :hi5:

DonShula84 likes this.
  26. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    I cant see Ricky Davis or Gordon starting over Thornton tbh, I assume you just forgot about him? I'm pleased with the trade though, and think Randolph could be just the Clippers offense needed. We'll see how it works out, but I'm optimistic for now. They had to do something.

I think the starting 5 will be

PG: Davis
    SG: Davis
    SF: Thornton
    PF: Randolph
    C: Kaman

6th man Camby

Hopefully Gordon can push Ricky Davis for minutes at SG, but I guess I could see him starting over Ricky Davis and bringing Ricky in off the bench.

Boik14 likes this.
  27. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    No way Thornton hits the bench. I think you could see Davis at the SG position since it allows the team to play bigger and more experienced. Plus, Dunleavy's not a big fan of starting rookies unless he has to. And I think against teams with a good PF/C combo, you'd see Camby more for defensive purposes.

28. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Ya I forgot about Thorton, not used to having to remember so many good players on the Clippers. :lol:

Gordon looked excellent last night, 25 points despite missing part of the game with an ankle sprain.

As for the new look NYK...they were down by 20-25 much of the game vs cleveland tonight before losing 119-101. It wasnt really that close. No rebounding whatsoever even with Lee in there. Thats one area they will miss Zach.

Still have to find a way to dump Curry (11m) and Jefferies (6.7m). If we can do that the only players under contract for the summer of 10 would be Wilson Chandler, Danilo Gallinari, and their 09 1st rounder which combine for under 10 million on whats projected to be a 64 million dollar cap. Just lose baby, get another stud in the lottery. And then sign Lebron....pretty good articles: King James can get crown jewels with Knicks deal -- Newsday.com
    Madison Square Garden fans must make LeBron James feel at home -- Newsday.com

29. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I don't get ESPN's love fest with the possibility of LeBron going to the Knicks in 2010....he could get struck by lightning sometime in the next 18 months or die of something else......are the Knicks going to just write off the next two years? :lol:

What if LeBron, Shaq, and the other free agents don't want to play for the Knicks? It is just like the NY media assuming CC is heading to the Yankees cuz they have the most money.....CC is a West coast guy and I think he is going to give NY the middle finger. :yes: Guys want to go where they can win a ring, just as much as going somewhere for $$$.

The biggest problem with the NBA is you have clowns like Marbury with gauranteed 20+ million dollar contracts...so he is just laughing all the way to the bank knowing he is going to get his money whether he plays or not. He basically can tell D'Antoni, Walsh, Dolan to kiss his rear end and he still will get his money. That's why I have lost a lot of intrest in the NBA....nothing but overpaid crybabies. :pity:

30. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    22 assists Duhon!

31. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Per Rotoworld:

Cuttino Mobley underwent tests for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy on Thursday, to determine what the extent of his heart problem is.
    This condition has been linked to the deaths of Reggie Lewis, Hank Gathers, and Kevin Duckworth. It was also reported that four of his prior teams were aware of the condition, believed to be an enlarged heart, and had him sign a waiver to play. The condition is believed to be more serious this time, though, and all signs are pointing to Mobley hanging it up.
    Source: New York Post

32. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    That's pretty serious. Turiaf had that and he needed surgery for it. I guess things do go worse for you guys. Mobley was a blue chip guy for the Clippers and I wish him well.