The most important offseason
39 replies
Gentleman young and old, we are going into the most important offseason in rescent phins history, there are many questions, but the most important in my opinion is the QB, we are not going to be a great team without a great QB, but he must be in place this year so three years from now we are not saying the same thing
"I want to buy the groceries" Bill Parcells
Beck is not the answer, we need top seed QB.
"DeeperImage wrote:
Beck is not the answer, we need top seed QB.
your not even going to give Beck a Chance yea he made Rookie mistakes but all QBs do Payton manning didnt have a great Rookie year and he seems to be a pretty good QB
"Aqua4Ever04 wrote:
It amazes me how people can consider a player's career over after just 4 flippin' starts. I don't even know what to say to it.
Are you kidding? Miami fans keep the wolves well fed...:lol:
Beck deserves a chance with our full offense on the field with our starters like Ronnie and Ted Ginn and LBooker and see what he can do for us.
And not in wind storms, nor rice paddy fields, nor with a gimpy Oline and Te's who couldn't keep a hot dog wrapper out of the backfield..
"Aqua4Ever04 wrote:
If you ever notice, every single time someone claims "Beck isn't the answer" (and that seems to be the same thing they say every time) they NEVER support that argument. It's one line and done, no evidence, no support, no reasoning.
GridIronKing34 is amazing.
Support? Evidence? It's overrated!
Oh.. and before l2g goes on a deleting tyrant by taking away my O/T post... I better speak a bit on the issue. :lol:
It's a very important offseason because we're basically "redoing" the ground work Cameron/Mueller set. I know they didn't set much, but being we're going to be in a different offense I'm assuming, players might not work out. Hopefully we stick to the Coryell offense because it seems to suit Beck, but Parcells tends to overrule my decisions... I tell him he's full of himself, but he never listens to me!
Well, it hasn't gotten "bad" yet, wait until the Draft starts moving closer, I hope none of John Beck's family logs on....bad things man...real bad things....
He's a good prospect, if people bag on him because of his age, they should keep in mind evne if it takes 2 or 3 yrs for him to become a top flight NFL Qb, he will be 31, and he hasn't taken the punishment a normal 31 yr old Qb has taken.
One thing that I do not understand about the way we do things in Miami is the desire to throw away value in the form of draft picks, he was a 2nd rdr, let's see what we have?
"padre31 wrote:
Well, it hasn't gotten "bad" yet, wait until the Draft starts moving closer, I hope none of John Beck's family logs on....bad things man...real bad things....
He's a good prospect, if people bag on him because of his age, they should keep in mind evne if it takes 2 or 3 yrs for him to become a top flight NFL Qb, he will be 31, and he hasn't taken the punishment a normal 31 yr old Qb has taken.
One thing that I do not understand about the way we do things in Miami is the desire to throw away value in the form of draft picks, he was a 2nd rdr, let's see what we have?
Because we're use to throwing away 2nd round picks... AJ Feeley... Daunte Culpepper... Heck why not waste another one on John Beck, forget him! Just cut him or trade him to San Diego!
Or maybe it's because we're impatient. I really don't know. :lol:
"GridIronKing34 wrote:
GridIronKing34 is amazing.
Support? Evidence? It's overrated!
Oh.. and before l2g goes on a deleting tyrant by taking away my O/T post... I better speak a bit on the issue. :lol:
It's a very important offseason because we're basically "redoing" the ground work Cameron/Mueller set. I know they didn't set much, but being we're going to be in a different offense I'm assuming, players might not work out. Hopefully we stick to the Coryell offense because it seems to suit Beck, but Parcells tends to overrule my decisions... I tell him he's full of himself, but he never listens to me!
:offtopic: :ban:

I love you Mom, you are the greatest woman that I've ever known.
"GridIronKing34 wrote:
Because we're use to throwing away 2nd round picks... AJ Feeley... Daunte Culpepper... Heck why not waste another one on John Beck, forget him! Just cut him or trade him to San Diego!
Or maybe it's because we're impatient. I really don't know. :lol:
I say we lash him to Matt Roth and throw them both overboard at the same time.
Hey, it will save time and a whole herd of insipid threads...ones with the "B" word..over and over and over...
Bonedoc is right though our entire franchise is starting back at -0-, there are maybe 8 players on our roster that could start for other teams..and 8 is generous...
This is the first time in our history we have the #1 overall, I really do not want another #1 pick for another 40 yrs.
"like2god wrote:
:offtopic: :ban:
:stupid: :tongue2:
"padre31 wrote:
I say we lash him to Matt Roth and throw them both overboard at the same time.
Hey, it will save time and a whole herd of insipid threads...ones with the "B" word..over and over and over...
At least they stopped using the words "Ronnie", "Brown", "Is", "A", and "Bust" in the same sentence.
"GridIronKing34 wrote:
:stupid: :tongue2:
Don't talk about padre31 that way. :lol:
As for the thread topic, give Beck a chance. The kid has only played in 5 games and people are already writing him off and calling for Anderson who has AJ Feeley written all over him. Let stop trading away valuable draft picks for other teams QB's. That is the same mindset that got us into this mess in the first place.
Give Beck a chance

I love you Mom, you are the greatest woman that I've ever known.
"like2god wrote:
Don't talk about padre31 that way. :lol:
As for the thread topic, give Beck a chance. The kid has only played in 5 games and people are already writing him off and calling for Anderson who has AJ Feeley written all over him. Let stop trading away valuable draft picks for other teams QB's. That is the same mindset that got us into this mess in the first place.
Give Beck a chance
I've been called worse....:lol:
Who knows? Anderson is an interesting idea, it would also save us the bother of paying 60 million for a player who has never taken a snap in an NFL game and we need a Qb..badly.
But what good is signing Anderson if he ends up a laying on the field like a pancake with a bad Oline? And if we improve our Oline, why do we need Anderson in the first place as we will be running the ball next year anyway?
A question I always ask is "If Anderson was coming out in the draft this year, would you pick him at #1 overall"?
"padre31 wrote:
I've been called worse....:lol:
Who knows? Anderson is an interesting idea, it would also save us the bother of paying 60 million for a player who has never taken a snap in an NFL game and we need a Qb..badly.
I think Anderson would want an extension and a pretty hefty raise from his current salary. Not worth it in terms of dollars or draft picks for a guy that had one decent season. JMO
But what good is signing Anderson if he ends up a laying on the field like a pancake with a bad Oline? And if we improve our Oline, why do we need Anderson in the first place as we will be running the ball next year anyway?
A question I always ask is "If Anderson was coming out in the draft this year, would you pick him at #1 overall"?
Ughh, I already had that conversation in another thread.
http://www.celtkin.com/forums/showpost.php?p=52689&postcount=124
Hindsight is 20/20 and you can't use what you know now about a player to compare him to an untested rookie class, it's an unfair comparison.
I think that Ireland was quoted as saying that the Cowboys were very high on Beck before the draft last year, so I expect him to get every chance to win the job next year while a quality vet like Pennington is brought in as insurance. We've got to learn to be patient and develop our own young players instead of always looking for the quick fix. We're not going to be a playoff team next year anyway, so we can afford to be patient with Beck.

I love you Mom, you are the greatest woman that I've ever known.
We need to give John Beck some time to develop as a QB. I think we should build around Beck and see if the kid can get any better with some weapons.
"like2god wrote:
I think Anderson would want an extension and a pretty hefty raise from his current salary. Not worth it in terms of dollars or draft picks for a guy that had one decent season. JMO
Ughh, I already had that conversation in another thread.
http://www.celtkin.com/forums/showpost.php?p=52689&postcount=124Hindsight is 20/20 and you can't use what you know now about a player to compare him to an untested rookie class, it's an unfair comparison.
I think that Ireland was quoted as saying that the Cowboys were very high on Beck before the draft last year, so I expect him to get every chance to win the job next year while a quality vet like Pennington is brought in as insurance. We've got to learn to be patient and develop our own young players instead of always looking for the quick fix. We're not going to be a playoff team next year anyway, so we can afford to be patient with Beck.
Pennington? Noodle arm? I hope not that would just be too much to stomach.
I think Beck could be the guy. Put any good qb in a game, especially in his rookie season, and watch him flounder. We've gone over and over again the first starts by the greats of the game (Manning, etc.). Now, put rookie Manning on possibly the worst team in twenty years and there is little to no possible success.
Beck kind of reminds me of Romo; similar size, release, and so on. Heck even age (Romo will be 28 before the season starts next year). Even this year, with the team the Cowboys have, Romo had some terrible games including a 6 turnover one against the Bills. Now imagine Romo, this year without Ronnie Brown, no TO or real #1 for that matter, and a line that seems to fold every time he's in the game. He'd have a bunch of those games. No QB can succeed under these conditions. Especially when we had an undisciplined team who didn't even want to listen to their head coach.
Nobody knows how Beck will turn out, either way. But, it's unfair to think he's done already. He deserves a shot, at least. Considering Ireland even had him high on his lists, and any other time we talk about Ireland we consider him the "draft guru" and expect him to pick out 8 stud rookies yearly, it's only fair that we take into consideration that he thought highly of him only one year ago. Maybe Lee can even help change his low release point like he helped Romo. We have heard over and over that Beck loves to practice and learn, so there's a chance...and here's to hoping!
"Linus wrote:
I think Beck could be the guy. Put any good qb in a game, especially in his rookie season, and watch him flounder. We've gone over and over again the first starts by the greats of the game (Manning, etc.). Now, put rookie Manning on possibly the worst team in twenty years and there is little to no possible success.
Beck kind of reminds me of Romo; similar size, release, and so on. Heck even age (Romo will be 28 before the season starts next year). Even this year, with the team the Cowboys have, Romo had some terrible games including a 6 turnover one against the Bills. Now imagine Romo, this year without Ronnie Brown, no TO or real #1 for that matter, and a line that seems to fold every time he's in the game. He'd have a bunch of those games. No QB can succeed under these conditions. Especially when we had an undisciplined team who didn't even want to listen to their head coach.
Nobody knows how Beck will turn out, either way. But, it's unfair to think he's done already. He deserves a shot, at least. Considering Ireland even had him high on his lists, and any other time we talk about Ireland we consider him the "draft guru" and expect him to pick out 8 stud rookies yearly, it's only fair that we take into consideration that he thought highly of him only one year ago. Maybe Lee can even help change his low release point like he helped Romo. We have heard over and over that Beck loves to practice and learn, so there's a chance...and here's to hoping!
Agree completely. :up:
"phinfan0202 wrote:
Pennington? Noodle arm? I hope not that would just be too much to stomach.
He might not have a rocket arm and there is a history of injuries, but the guy just knows how to make plays. How many times has he made the Phins look bad? Besides, there isn't much out there to choose from, having Penny as a backup isn't that bad of an idea. We could do much worse IMO.

I love you Mom, you are the greatest woman that I've ever known.
Hindsight is 20/20 and you can't use what you know now about a player to compare him to an untested rookie class, it's an unfair comparison.
Not from a value standpoint, D Anderson was let go by Baltimore for a reason, put a 1,000 yd rusher behind him, a all pro LT to protect him and and 2 #1 picks to throw to and now he is worht the #1 pick in the draft?
No way, if we were further back, like #28 or something, then maybe, but straight up the #1 overall, the first pick in the 3rd rd and a boatload of money?
Naah.
"like2god wrote:
He might not have a rocket arm and there is a history of injuries, but the guy just knows how to make plays. How many times has he made the Phins look bad? Besides, there isn't much out there to choose from, having Penny as a backup isn't that bad of an idea. We could do much worse IMO.
Yeah, we might actually beat the Jets if we take him and his 7-1 record against us... :001_rolleyes:
"padre31 wrote:
Not from a value standpoint, D Anderson was let go by Baltimore for a reason, put a 1,000 yd rusher behind him, a all pro LT to protect him and and 2 #1 picks to throw to and now he is worht the #1 pick in the draft?
No way, if we were further back, like #28 or something, then maybe, but straight up the #1 overall, the first pick in the 3rd rd and a boatload of money?
Naah.
I don't want Anderson at all, I think it's foolish to trade for a QB before we know what Beck is capable of. I wouldn't trade for a guy based off of one decent season in which he had the 1,000 yards rusher, the excellent blindside protection and the 2 #1 receivers, especially knowing that we don't currently have that type of talent. I think he would turn into another AJ Feely in Miami.

I love you Mom, you are the greatest woman that I've ever known.
Pennington's arm was like Fiedlers' BEFORE the injury to his shoulder. Pennington now has an absolute noodle arm. He looks like he throws lobs when the pass is only 20 yards. It's sad as hell.
Football is the ONLY sport
Just as it is impossible to gauge how good or bad Beck will be in his entire career off of this one year, the same can be said for Anderson.
We can't judge any qb's off of one lone year, whether it be bad, good, or great. Anderson could be the next great quarterback or he could be the next AJ Feely for us. At the same time, the same can be said about Beck. So, why waste tons of money and picks, when there is a chance that we have our "next" qb sitting there on the bench with a headset on.
Another way to look at it is to see that Beck was pressured and sacked before he even finished dropping back a lot of times. The quickest release on earth couldn't have gotten him out of a lot of those situations. Then Cam had no confidence in him, the line caved on him, and he didn't have many options to go to. This all leads to extreme rookie jitters, as if he wasn't nervous enough. His first couple games were soggy, terrible days, so they weren't even real NFL speed. Then he finally got a real taste of the "NFL speed" when he played in nice weather in Miami and we remember what happened then. I sort of see that as his first "real" game where we had a semi-normal gameplan. Then he played for two seconds the next week, and he was pulled instantly (albeit on a bad play).
I just think he deserves a little more time. People were all saying Ronnie was a bust too; not many are saying that anymore.