1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The most important aspect a coach should have

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by testtubetimmy, Dec 7, 2007.

1. testtubetimmy

testtubetimmy New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    I'm interested in hearing from everyone what they think the most important aspect a coach in the NFL should have. Then, if you so care to, ask yourself if Cam has that particular trait. This isn't meant to take sides on if Cam should stay or go. Try to stay neutral and see if Cam has or does not have what you want in a coach.

I believe the most important aspect a coach should have is the ability to inspire confidence in his players. If your players are willing to run through a wall for you, they're willing to play harder through the fourth quarter and not give up.

Shula had that. A lot of times, Czonka would say he didn't get along with "the old man", but he respected the hell out of him and would do anything for the guy. That's something they can't teach.

So far, I don't see that trait in Cameron.

2. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    That's a story that two old men tell each other. The fact is that Czonka ran hard because that is who he was. Players without that characteristic should not be on your team.

A head Coach is an organizer. If he can't organize a staff and motivate them to work overtime to achieve - he's not a head coach.

A head coach is a decision maker. If he's not a good judge of character he will have a team full of rotten apples. Rotten apples are players who will not "run through the brick wall". Rotten apples spoil the whole batch. If he's willing to sell his sould for talent - he's not a head coach.

A head coach is a planner. If he cannot be decisive on a game plan and a practice plan, he's not a head coach. A head coach has convictions that he will not leave on the table.

A head coach is a motivator. If he cannot motivate his players to play hard then he is not worth his salt. We would love to think that all it took was to yell, scream, cuss, and fuss to motivate players to play. That makes for good TV but that ain't motivation. If a player needs motivation all he would have to do is open a bible before a game. I've found motivation in that book. I've read it to teams before games too. Things that are REAL motivate grown men. Yelling "Kordell, I know you hear me" from the sideline are not. Referencing a grown man "she" in a press conference is not motivation.

I don't know if Cam Cameron has any of these traits. I have never shared a locker room with him.

3. testtubetimmy

testtubetimmy New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    You don't know if that's a story old men tell eachother. In fact, the book that anecdote came from was Always on the Run, published in 1973. Larry was hardly old then.

Most head coaches leave the personel decisions to the GM, or are forced to at least. I agree head coaches must be a great judge of character, but I don't think its the most important with the way GM's work in today's NFL. They need to be able to take whatever rotten apples are supplied to them and at least salvage the bunch into a team that can win.

I agree with your final point, in fact, I'd go so far as saying its integral to getting your team to "run through walls for you". Motivation. Grown men don't respond to yelling anymore. I think the hardest challenge is finding a way to motivate a group of guys who think more about signing bonuses than championships.

All in all, though I may disagree with some of your points, they are all valid. Thanks for your input.

4. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Competence.

5. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    That makes for good message board fodder.

6. Betters75

Betters75 New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Zod, great post but. A organizer, decision maker, motivator, planner, plus being involved with personel, drafts, game day decissions ect. I could go on....

I'm just a fan, not really an expert on how NFL teams are run?

I think Cam is a great X's an O's guy, but a little to much on his plate right now, hence 0-12. I hope he learns from being a rookie coach and turns this mess around!

He better be on a short leesh or he should be fired! No more excuses!!!!

Zod, good stuff by the way.

7. Texphinphan

Texphinphan Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    good/great players, some luck when it comes to injuries

8. Waldop

Waldop New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Miramar, FL
    :thumbup1:
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

I couldn't agree more!!

9. testtubetimmy

testtubetimmy New Member

Nov 29, 2007

Really? Do you think the best aspect a coach can have is his personel? That truly coaching doesn't play any role whatsoever in having a winning season?

I think Bill Belichick, Don Shula, Bill Parcells, Bill Cowher and the late, but great Bill Walsh would probably have something to say about that. As would every coach in America.

Its one thing to have good players. But how do those players become better? How does Tom Brady go from late round pick to Superbowl Champ? How do mediocre players become overrated? And most importantly, how do you get a cancer like Randy Moss to be a team player.

Every player has the ability to underachieve. It's the coaches job to keep them playing at 100% for 60 minutes.

10. Texphinphan

Texphinphan Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    Just having a little fun. However, I do absolutely believe that at the nfl level talent and luck are very important. This is such an obvious statement I feel silly typing it.

11. I think to be an effective coach in the NFL you need to know how to win games with what you have. Yes I know that sounds moronically oversimplified but it's the truth. Every coach is faced with different circumstances and obsticles to overcome.

Generally speaking:

1: Solid game plans that match up effectivly against your opponets game plans

2: The ability to adjust your game plan on the fly when your opponet has outplanned you or is out performing you

3: The ability to get your players to understand and be capable of executing your game plans

4: the ability to motivate your players enough to out execute thier opponets

There is no one way to acomplish those 4 things. Sometimes its a matter of perfect discipline other times its a matter of out talenting the other team. Sometimes its a matter of exploiting missmatches and out play calling them

I think there ia a basic minium level of all these skills combined to be competive in the NFL and then to be considered a great coach you must go above and beyond that minium into the exceptional catagory to be a HOF guy.

12. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

Players don't quit on a coach they respect. Given the comments in the media, (IMO) not a whole lotta respect in that lockerroom.