1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Malcolm Kelly saga continues

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 11, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-6-63/The-Malcolm-Kelly-saga-continues.html

It hasn't been a good week for Oklahoma wide receiver Malcolm Kelly, but at least it's getting more bizarre. On Wednesday, he basically accused the OU strength and conditioning staff of trying to sabotage his workout. Kelly apparently wanted to run on Astroturf, but he was forced to run on FieldTurf.

Now, he's apologizing for his rant on a Tyler, Texas radio station. The guy interviewing him is David Smoak, a longtime Friend of Hashmarks. On Sunday, Kelly will hold yet another workout in Atlanta under the direction of former Green Bay Packers wide receiver Boyd Dowler. But here's the catch: No NFL scouts will be allowed in the building. Dowler, who's in the Packers Hall of Fame, will send video and information from the workout to all 32 NFL teams and various media outlets.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  2. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    NFL | M. Kelly willing to run for teams
    Fri, 11 Apr 2008 07:47:09 -0700

KFFL has learned that Oklahoma WR Malcolm Kelly currently has no private workouts scheduled with NFL teams, but he is willing to run again if any team wishes to see him do so again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cowboys | Team to meet with M. Kelly
    Fri, 11 Apr 2008 07:45:38 -0700

KFFL has learned that Oklahoma WR Malcolm Kelly will meet with the Dallas Cowboys next week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Redskins | Team to meet with M. Kelly
    Fri, 11 Apr 2008 07:43:05 -0700

KFFL has learned that Oklahoma WR Malcolm Kelly will meet with the Washington Redskins next week.

49ers | Team to meet with M. Kelly
    Fri, 11 Apr 2008 07:41:19 -0700

KFFL has learned that Oklahoma WR Malcolm Kelly will meet with the San Francisco 49ers next week.

Steelers | Team to meet with M. Kelly
    Fri, 11 Apr 2008 07:37:57 -0700

KFFL has learned that Oklahoma WR Malcolm Kelly will meet with the Pittsburgh Steelers Friday, April 11.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

3. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    UPDATE
    Updating a previous item, the agent for Oklahoma WR Malcolm Kelly says his client will run on Astroturf for pro scouts on April 16.

The idea of Kelly restricting anyone from watching him workout was strange to say the least. Astroturf is not an NFL playing surface anymore, however, so even if he runs in the 4.4s we doubt it will help his stock whatsoever.
    Source: Profootballtalk.com
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_NFL.aspx

4. gcd960

gcd960 Junior Member

Mar 26, 2008
    i wonder if the scouts are getting as tired of this routine as i am. This guy is spiraling.

5. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I think he is the top WR in the draft. If he is there at 2B I would take him.

6. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    He would be a good fit for Washington imo. Wonder if the Bills are still interested heh.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I have read that the Bills are interested in him. I think hes a good player and they need an impact receiver but I would hate to see him go there. Also, many people have said that Washington likes Devin Thomas a lot.

I agree that he is top wide receiver. 2B though? I think he will go possibly mid first round, early second.

8. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Probably go early second now. He is taking a Sidney Rice route which in that case let it be 2A. But if Mayo, or Conner is that at 32 I would rather get one of those guys.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I wouldn't be surprised if Bills take him at 11. I think if he runs a 4.5 forty in his re-workout, he could go to Barfallo. Do you think Connor will be there? Because I think he is gone at 31 to Giants. They just lost Kawika Mitchell and they need a replacement. As for Mayo, I have read reports on ESPN that San Fran could take him but I dont think they do. They take Sweed or Hardy imo.

10. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I would take him if he drops to us at #32. Speed is nice, but Jerry Rice only ran a 4.7 40 and we all know what he did when it mattered. Malcolm Kelly has great hands.

11. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I think Mayo and Conner are gone before us. Conner to San Fran and Mayo to the Giants. There might be 1 WR taken in round 1.

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
  13. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Malcolm Kelly’s Attitude Is Worse Than His 40 Time

When N.F.L. coaches and scouts descend on college campuses to watch prospects in “pro day” workouts, they measure how tall and how heavy and how fast and how strong they are.

But they also want to get a feel for how well the players interact with coaches. So for Oklahoma wide receiver Malcolm Kelly, who worked out at his school’s pro day on Wednesday, his sub-par 40-yard dash time won’t hurt him nearly as much as the way he handled himself.

Kelly’s 40 time really was sub-par: NFL.com reports that he clocked in at 4.75 seconds and 4.68 seconds. Those are very slow times for a wide receiver.

But slow times aren’t a deal breaker. Ryan Wilson at FanHouse notes that in 2004 Larry Fitzgerald ran a 4.63 and Michael Clayton ran a 4.67. Fitzgerald was chosen with the third pick in the draft and Clayton with the 15th.

What will undoubtedly be a deal breaker for many N.F.L. teams is that Kelly reportedly yelled at Oklahoma strength and conditioning coach Jerry Schmidt after his workout, and then told Jake Trotter of The Oklahoman and other members of the media that his slow times were not his fault, but the fault of the coaching and medical staffs at Oklahoma:

“Certain people have tried to hold me down, and they know who they are,” Kelly said. “I wouldn’t say the whole OU coaching staff, but certain people, I would say that.”

After hearing those comments, and others in which Kelly suggested that his thigh injury worsened because Oklahoma’s trainers misdiagnosed it, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops felt the need to stick up for his program, insisting that Kelly was treated properly.

In N.F.L. circles, Stoops is one of the most respected college coaches, and if Kelly thinks a verbal back-and-forth with Stoops two weeks before the draft is the way to endear himself to N.F.L. teams, he’s in for an unpleasant surprise on draft day. Kelly likely dropped out of the first round on Wednesday, and not because of his 40 time.

http://www.nytimes.com/

alen1 likes this.
  14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I hear it now ........ (crowd chanting)....Baby T.O baby T.O baby T.O.........