1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The genius that is Mike Patton [music]

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by texasPHINSfan, Apr 2, 2008.

1. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    This is Mr. Bungle. An old band that i found the CD of as i was rummaging thorugh my old music...

i forgot just how all over the place this stuff is. like the music or not, you have to admit the sheer inventive-ness of the music and how crazy it is. This is just one song on the album... it was originally titled "Travolta", but they had to change it for obvious reasons. :)

the video isn't too special, but its more about the music, which is phenomenal. :up:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbBwFdKDaKw[/media]

Pagan - thoughts? :P

2. JCowScot

JCowScot So funky the dead dance

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    I liked his stuff going all the way back to Faith No More. The guy's pretty amazing, creatively. A bit of an egotistical jerk from what I've read, but that's no different from Axl Rose, right? :lol: Like Zeppelin, he was very much influenced by Middle Eastern melodies and rhythms. When you mix that with Peppers-esque punk-funk and later atmospheric, grunge and harder rock, it can get kinda (like you said) all over the place. Definitely one of my faves back in the mid-late 90's.

3. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Mr. Bungle ROCKS! I love Mike Patton. To this day I believe that "King for a Day...Fool for a Lifetime" and "Album of the Year" by Faith No More are two of the most underrated records in the history of the genre.

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  4. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    I too liked his work with Faith No More, however, I don't really care for his other efforts like Mr. Bungle, Fantomas, and his brief stint with DEP. I know I'm missing a few other projects he's been involved with as well.

5. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    I've also heard he's a pompous ***, but there's no denying his talent. One of the most unique voices in rock.

6. JCowScot

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    Except for that period where he and Keidis from the Chili Peppers were going at it...:lol:

7. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I never got "Fantomas". I saw them at a club in Vancouver. 1 1/2 hours of noise....LOL!

8. JCowScot

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    It's good for when you're not in your 'right mind.' :wink2: :wharf: Reminds me of some of the jazz guys I used to hang out with that would listen to 2-4 hrs of 'random sounds'. VERY avante-garde. VERY stoned.:yes:

9. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    One of my favorite songs as a kid.

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wr5gdrj6bZQ[/media]

Always loved the dog. :lol:

Phinperor likes this.
  10. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    i love that track G.... :up:

yeah Patton is a weird dude for sure.... could be a complete and utterly pompous ***, i don't know but i'll take your guys word for it. definitely some SERIOUS talent though.... My favorite FNM album was Angeldust. It's important to note that i was never really a "big" FNM fan by any stretch... but i appreciate the talent there and from some of his side projects. Never heard fantomas, but i'll take your guys word for it :up:

11. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    The Real Thing was just a great album, brings back alot of memories. Love the War Pigs cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhIMf61NeB8

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008