1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The dreaded 3 QB rule!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RickyNeverInhaled, May 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I know we've discussed this already and in my mind we came to a conclusion that this rule wouldn't affect us, but in light of what i just came across online, we are either wrong or Tony Sparano doesn't know what he's talking about!

check out this aquavision video of Tony Sparano's press briefing on 5-1-09. fast forward it to the 10:45 mark and you will hear someone ask him about the 3 QB rule, he talks about it for a couple of minutes and it seems like there is something to be worried about, unless Sparano's wrong. No offense, but i take Sparano's word over anyone else's word in this forum! lol.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite/aquavision/aquavision.asp?category=1&mediaid=42435

2. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    for some reason, the link plays the cameron wake interview. just scroll down and click on tony sparano press briefing 5-1-09

3. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    It's really not that big of a dilemma. You list White as a RB or WR or whatever...list him as the back up Punter. It doesn't matter.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  4. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Sparano was asked about playing Pat White at another position and he quickly said he wasn't interested. He clearly stated that he is a QB. if you click on the link i provided you can hear it for yourself on the tony sparano press briefing from 5-1-09

Bpk likes this.
  5. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    yes I've heard all that. It doesn't mean you can't list him as a WR (or whatever). Can we agree that he won't be the starting QB this year? ...that he will come in during the wildcat option? Similar to what Ronnie Brown did last season, right?
    So again.....it doesn't matter what you call him. He's not going to be our starting QB this year. His primary (maybe only) function this year will be to take snaps out of the wildcat package; passing or running.....right? So why does it matter what position he's listed as playing?
    Ronnie Brown didn't have to be listed as a QB/RB did he? Yet it was within the rules for him to take snaps from the center, right? Same with Pat White.

6. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Ronnie Brown isn't listed as a QB so he is irrelevant in this argument. If Pat White is listed at another position this won't be a problem, but that's not gonna happen unless Tony Sparano is lying b/c he said he will be listed as a QB. Sparano said the 3 QB rule will affect his decision making. the example that he brought up was if pat white was the 2nd QB and something happened to pennington, if he brought henne (the 3rd QB in this hypothesis) in the game, than he couldn't use pat white or pennington if pennington is able to come back in the game.

when we discussed this in the other thread, the majority (including myself) came to the conclusion that the emergency QB title was optional, but after hearing Tony Sparano talk about it, i've come to the conclusion that we're either wrong about that or Sparano doesn't really know the rule like he thinks he does.

7. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I'm sure the NFL would have something to say about a player who clearly never practiced as a WR, and was not on the official roster as a WR being suddenly called one just to bend roster rules.

RickyNeverInhaled likes this.
  8. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

He says he wouldn't like to see Pat White at any other position than QB over the next few months. He never says anything past that. The season is still a few months away.

9. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Slow down...
    first of all don't get hung up on "WR". Myself I said WR or whatever. How about running back? And I would think it's safe to assume that if White is listed as something other than QB then he would also practice at that position.
    Although you are aware that you can designate any player as a ball carrier as long as you inform the Refs?

10. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    was stated by Sparano that the subject had been discussed prior to drafting WildCatPat. I can only assume they came up with adequate solutions to the QB NFL delimma.
    Basically, sounds like Henne will be the #3 on the bench @ game time.

11. TreyTime

TreyTime New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    I already said this in the other thread, I guess nobody listened. You can have three active QBs, the problem is you have to make someone else inactive. Any position, doesn't matter. Most teams USUALLY have the third QB inactive. The Dolphins are in a unusual situation.

Here's what they do:

Have Pat active as a QB, the third QB. Make the fifth WR inactive. Because if there is ever a five wide package, Pat will more than likely be that fifth reciever anyways. Did everyone get that this time?

12. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    This has been said repeatedly, and people still aren't paying attention to it. It's really amazing.

late again likes this.
  13. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ah, I had thought the "3rd qb rule" more or less allowed a team to carry an "extra" Qb who can be activated during the game, but didn't count against the dressed out roster.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  14. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    UUUGGG

You can have three active QB's, no rule against that!

late again likes this.
  15. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Pretty simple rule to follow. Sparano knows it

I do believe we will keep the 3rd QB inactive though as we need all the special teams help we can get. This would mean the difference of someone like London playing.

So the question is

a) keep Henne as #3 inactive and have him come in if Penny gets hurt, which lets you dress London
    b)have all 3 qb active and London does not dress

I go for a) based on 2 points

1. If we want Henne to play in garbage time he can still do that as he can play in the 4th quarter if he is #3 inactive

2. The only time Henne would come in is if Penny gets hurt. So if Penny is hurt and has to miss a series you play White. If he is injured and can't come back you play Henne. The only down side is that White can not come back in now

The only problem with my theory is if Penny is having a rough year and they are thinking of benching him. So if we go to game 5,6 and Penny is struggling then you go to plan b)

RickyNeverInhaled likes this.
  16. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    my problem is this: why doesn't Sparano know this? I'm sure he's surrounded by people that know NFL rules like the back of thier hand. So who's wrong, Sparano or you?

17. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    i think its amazing that people think they know more about football and/or NFL rules than an NFL Head Coach (Tony Sparano). Of course he could be wrong, he is human, but i seriously doubt it. I take Sparano's side over anyone in this forum, until someone proves other wise.

Does anyone have a link to prove their theory? LOL

18. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Coaches don't know everything. Hall of Fame Coach Joe Gibbs of the Washington Redskins called two timeouts in a row to ice the opposing team's kicker....he didn't know there would be a penalty for this, and the opposing team had a much shorter FG attempt as a result. If you think I am making this up, read on:

http://www.sunjournal.com/story/241605-3/Sports/Redskins_Gibbs_under_scrutiny/

19. TreyTime

TreyTime New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    And Donovan McNabb and Andy Reid didn't know there were ties in the NFL.

late again likes this.
  20. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    yeah but it's not just Sparano.

Sparano said that they discussed this rule a lot before they drafted Pat White. I would have to assume that "they" means him, Bill Parcells, and Jeff Ireland.

21. DeDolfan

DeDolfan Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach
    Sporano also said that unless he sees something different, then Pat is a QB. Not a statment of fact tho. iMO, they'll run him in different ways other than QB during camps, minis, etc and if he proves to be able to do it, he'll likely be carried at another position and we'll go with just 2 "QBs". Keep in mind that it doesn't make sense to spend 2nd rnd picks on players who will not play, ie the 3rd QB.

22. DeDolfan

DeDolfan Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach
    Why should the league care? It's not like we'd have an infair advantage over the other teams. They would be free to do the same thing. just like the salary cap's "intention" was cicumvented by the signing bonuses, etc. Each team could do the same thing if they chose to.

late again likes this.
  23. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

He wasn't wrong in his statement...it has to be figured out which direction they want to go with the QB position...whether to chance using Henne as the #3 inactive QB or keeping White and Henne active and making someone else 'inactive'...in that case, we would lose having the 'extra' guy active since that has to be a QB and cannot be any other position. I think they want to see what kind of a QB White is before they make that determination....it's simply a choice they'll have to make come the start of the season, regarding how much they'll use White in the WC formation versus the ability to have one extra active player...there is no rule that says you have to designate a 3rd inactive QB, they have the choice...that's what has to be determined based on what White does for the offense strictly based on him being a QB, not a WC guy...

Either way, they'll be 45 active players on Sundays...whether one of those is Henne (assuming he's the #3 QB) or whether Henne is the 46th player (inactive and the 3rd QB, in which his entering the game would immediately inactivate (is that a word ?/) Penny and White, again assuming he's listed as the #2 qB) is the real question...they have time to figure out what they want to do with it anyways...

Mile High Fin likes this.