1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The dollar

Discussion in 'Economics and Financials' started by my 2 cents, Aug 6, 2009.

Tags:
  1. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    padre31 likes this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Tick tock My.02, we are in a sort of bizarro world were the more successful the Fed is at monetizing (via the bailed out banks BTW) the worse the dollar's position becomes.

What's your view on the relationship between the dollar losing value and Gold rising in value?

Coincidence?

3. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    :lol:....yeah coincidence.....

Personally I am trying to stay as whole as possible until the housing market bottoms as I think it will fall further sooner rather than later and then grab some cheap real estate for rentals so I can mirror inflation with at least some of my "savings".

Gold is in ..... probably tomorrow for me personally. I am also thinking of getting totally out of the equities market...maybe a little bit in the green tech companies, but not much...maybe some other currencies short term but again not much.....it is tough finding the right mix to mirror future inflation long term and moderate current risk.....lots of moving things around.....

Again when the real estate falls thru the floor again I will take advantage......but I also may be moving off shore so US real estate might prove too tough to manage......

Lots of decisions for me personally...what about you?

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is a bundle of info my.02.

Real Estate is of course out of the question for my finances (layoffs are a reality that cannot be hidden from) and investing in foreign currency is beyond experience.

I do expect a dollar crash, I'm not willing to dump the nest egg into hedges, but itz coming..

5. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Yeah that is my concern...keeping them occupied....that and managing them.

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    :lol:

Rentin' ain't easy.

As an aside, I knew the whole "second mortgage" deal was going to collapse, back in the *cough* college days...I read several books on real estate investing, and one author was very aggressive with what he called "cash cranks" wherein second and third mortgages were taken out on properties that were sold below market prices.

I happened to have a chat with my Accounting Prof and he looked at me with a mixture of pity shock and explained why that would not turn out very well..

As for the dollar, someone is propping it up, I watch the gold/dollar ratio like a hawk, and when it begins to really plummet, it manages to pull itself out of it's decline and gain .0245 or something, but each time, the small climb back up is not sustained, the next day it drops again..a bit lower..then is slightly propped back up.

Eh, since utilities are on the endangered species list, there are few, solid, inflation hedges in the market.