1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Dark Knight Spoiler thread. Don't come in if you haven't seen the movie.

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by BuckeyeKing, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    I tend to agree (not the Nicholson part though) as there are many, many gerat actors out there that could probably fill the void. But if I was an actor there is no way I'd put myself in that situation to try and fill Ledger's absence. I think it would be a no win situation no matter how great of an acting youb you put forth.

2. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    If the execs do to Batman what Sony did to Spider-Man, I'll flip.

3. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I do think we could see Raz in the next one. You're so right about Neeson. The thing with "Begins" is he made the character comforting and menacing at the same time for me, it was weird. Not an easy trick to pull off.

4. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Sure actors would want the role. Anybody whose confident in their craft would, but that doesn't mean they'd do it as well. Ledger set the bar high. Bringing in another actor to fill the role immediately would be frowned upon by most, as you have seen in this thread. Hollywood won't want to fight the negative buzz unless they are very sure that the new actor could live up to it. So, odds are that other than (at most) a small cameo, we won't see Joker back in this incarnation of Batman.

5. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    yeah i caught that too.
    The movie was awesome.

couple things i didnt like
    -Batmans voice. Someone get him a throat lozenger
    -Batman bending the gun?? Didnt know he had super-strength
    -The boat scenes. "lets take a vote, and hand out pencils and paper" :no:
    and the fact the guy holding the detenator just stood there surrounded by criminals. I dont know i'd atleast leave the room. Top deck, bottom of the boat or something.

Other than that Ledger was AWESOME(already knew that from the trailers).
    So was everyone elses acting. Dont think 2 face is dead like others mentioned.

6. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Yup, and the Hostages dressed as Clowns with Duct Tape holding guns clearly visible though glass windows, and Snipers with scopes and binoculars couldn't tell or see the duct tape???

Again, I liked it but for these reasons above, especially the whole ferry boat silliness was why I liked "Begins" much more than "TDK".

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  7. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    The Ferry boat part was crucial to the movie, it showed that the Joker was alone and that people's will hadnt been crushed yet. It was a great scene.

Frumundah Finnatic and FinSane like this.
  8. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008

if you watch the movie again, you'll notice Batman used a tool to give him that strength. The same tool he was using to pry into the van that Scarecrow was driving.

vmarcilfan75 likes this.
  9. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    For me, it wasnt the message behind the scene it was the way it was acted and carried out. I agree, the message was critical, but the acting blew for me.

I will take your word for it.

vmarcilfan75 likes this.
  10. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Because if the new joker isn't as good as Ledger than its a big let down.

11. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Also wanted to add you can hear his glove activate when that happens.

12. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    The voice thing seems really obvious to me, he has to disguise his voice. He's Bruce Wayne, people actually know him, he's famous. He has to disguise his voice, I'm not sure why anyone is having trouble with this. Its not like he's Peter Parker, hes one of the most famous people in Gotham. Not only does it work to scare villains but its also to help conceal his identity. It would be idiotic for him and Bruce Wayne to have the same voice.

13. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Yeah, too funny. No one is concerned that you can easily identify him based on his mouth and chin, and how a criminal never harms him or causes injury to his face, there, but they worry about why his voice is deeper and suspend the likelihood that his suit is able to morph or modify his voice for protection purposes.

hahahaahahahaha.....critiquing movies is funny.

P.S. reminds me of the Dane Cook comedy skit about previews and critiquing movies, etc.

14. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    It was probably the only non-depressing or violent scene in the movie.

I know if Catwoman is in it, they'd probably try to use her as a "rebound" gal. Someone Bruce tries to use as a quick fixer-upper romantically and emotionally.

15. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    I agree with both. If Nolan directs, and his brother writes, they'll use whatever villain serves the story. But after having The Joker and killing Two-Face, they'll need a Penguin, Riddler, or Catwoman involved.

Regan21286 likes this.
  16. ILPhinFan88

ILPhinFan88 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nolan had said he would never have the Penguin in his movie.

17. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Two-Face is not dead.

Also I believe they will have the Riddler.

My guess the Riddler will be a detective face off type of a movie.

18. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Tons of villains to choose from: Joker, Riddler, Clayface, Mr. Freeze, Bane, Two-Face, Raz Al-Ghoul, Scarecrow, etc. I hope they stay away from the Penguin.

19. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Well, we know Arnold won't be playing Mr. Freeze. Too busy signing my diploma. :lol:

20. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    Two-Face is dead. They can cheat and bring him back, but he wasn't breathing, they had a funeral, and they barely hinted otherwise. They didn't leave us hanging at the end of the movie that Gordon was dead.

I would be really disappointed in Nolan if he pulled that kind of nonsense. I never saw Rachel's body ripped into a million pieces, should I assume she is still alive too?

21. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    If she mysteriously becomes Catwoman, I will lose complete faith in the franchise on more ways than one. :lol:

22. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    al-Ghoul was used in "Begins".

Penguin would be a good choice, if Gotham erupts in complete chaos, he could run for mayor(remember in the comics he was not like the DeVito Penguin, hes more a man than mutant) and probably launch a massive campaign against Batman. I know people have said Nolan wouldnt use Penguin, but that doesnt mean he was telling the truth. Bale said there wouldnt be a Robin, but theres always a good chance that could happen too.

I would like Patrick Stewart as Mr. Freeze, that would awesome

Riddler is highly likely to be the next villain. Theres a few good choices of actors to play him(even a no-namer would work).

Personally, I would like to see a popular supervillian team up with a lesser villain, like Firefly, Zsasaz, Clayface, Amygdala, Killer Croc, Cornelius Stirk(would be pretty scary), or even a pushover like the Cavalier.

As long as they dont use the Ventriloquist. :no:

23. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Yea, I think Bale needs to work on his batman voice. Although, the best Batman voice to me remains the guy who did the voice on The Animated Series. Thats how I imagine Batman's voice to be.

24. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Killer Croc is seen in Batman: Gotham Knight, which is the straight-to-DVD animated prequel to Dark Knight.

25. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    The taking votes part was stupid, but the scene was still great, the real peak of the movie IMO. I think it was pretty funny when the "Deebo"(Friday reference) threw the detonator out the window.

26. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Yea but I think he could still be used in live-action movies. Also, most people arent going to see Gotham Knight, so its still possible.

27. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Here's my take on the whole Two Face debate:

Harvey Dent is dead. Two Face is still alive.

The funeral at the end of the movie was for Harvey, not for Two Face.

BigDogsHunt and BuckeyeKing like this.
  28. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Yea. I saw begins, is there a law against using a villain twice? I would be really disappointed if they used the Penguin, I can't stand him, he's the cheesiest batman villain. Patrick Stewart as Mr. Freeze would be pretty cool. Its a shame about Ledger, I think this Batman and Joker could easily entertain us for another movie.

29. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I guess that could be true but I think that would be really cheesy. The guy killed some cops and I just can't see them covering up his death and letting him come back like that. He was great in this movie, but it would be hard to pull off another one without it being cheesy. Now that said, I'd be in the theatre the day this came out. :up:

30. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    you didn't pay attention to the movie that well....they foreshadowed that part very well earlier when batman was holding the mobster of the ledge at the same height and the mobster said " are you kidding I wouldn't die from this height" and batman said "im counting on it" and he breaks his leg.......(i know someone mentioned this before'dupree' maybe?)

ironically dent fell from the same height....batman not onlt lived as well (i know he has armour) but he wasn't even fazed by the fall.....i don't think we've seen the last of 2face at all.....

31. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    It could be possible Dent landed head or back first. That would likely kill someone as opposed to landing on one's feet.

32. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    He is not dead as it would just totally ruin the character of batman that he created.

33. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    And where exactly is your information that he's alive that you so confidently express?

34. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I don't know anymore than you do.....but with the wide array of villians who "could" be in 3......why would they kill off such an important villian in the 2nd movie....before he even got started, and frankly.....why kill him so anti-climatically??

just my opinion, but no way 2 face is dead.......

35. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Riddler and Catwoman are most likely the next two villians. I wouldnt surprised if they added a third, maybe returning two-face.

36. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I think it's nebulous as to whether he's alive or dead and it can go either way. But Dupree's been saying it like it's total fact. That's what gets me.

37. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Just saw The Dark Knight, Holy ****. I'm floored. That was epic. That word is thrown around far to often, but TDK deserves it. The storyline was so perfectly woven together.

Where is the love for Bale? Used up after BB? He is such a great Batman/Bruce Wayne. "do you think I need to go to the hospital?" :lol: He plays the Yuppie playboy and real BW to perfection. He is the definitive Batman as much as Ledger is the Joker.

As for Ledger. Amazing performance. Is it Oscar worthy? Eh, I'd say no, but to each there own. That aside, in context to TDK, he blew me away. It's so funny to see all the love he's getting around the net when considering how many people were pissed when Mr. Brokeback Mountain was first announced as the Joker (I know I was apprehensive, but gave Nolan the benefit of the doubt). I can't say enough great things about this performance.

As someone said, even Ledger would have a hard time topping his own performance. The storyline in which the character was used was also perfect. Nolan and team hit a homerun in all aspects of the character/plot.

Eckhart was great too. As far as a sequel goes, NO. Two Face can't offer anymore then he did. He is to unrealistic for Nolan's Batman to have any further plot. Two face accomplished all he needed to. It was a revenge story. It was quick, complete, and absolutely perfect as is. Leave it it be.

As for the sequel... Where do you go from here? There will be no Joker IMO (which sucks out loud). Not because Ledger can't be replaced, but out of loyalty/respect. The good news is the makeup covers the face. Any actor chosen will look like the Joker. So if WB has any brains they'll get another great actor and force the director to use him.

I also think Nolan is done too. He can't replicate TDK, especially without the Joker, the best of the best villains. All the other Villains in the BM universe are not worthy of carrying a film. Catwomen? No... Just no. Poison Ivy? No... Penguin? Thank god CN said hell no.

The best Villain left is The Riddler, which I think ONLY Nolan can pull off right. A real serial killer type. However it may end up to much like a SAW movie if done wrong.

I've gotta see this in Imax!

Edit: I forgot to mention my one criticism. I hated the Ferry sequence. The Joker was right to believe one ship would blow up the other. I hated that both ships were willing to die. I would bet my life that 100/100 times if that experiment was carried out, one ship would strike a death blow. Didn't ruin anything for me, but it was less believable then a man fighting crime dressed as a Batman.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
    DevilFin13 and His'nBeatYour'n like this.
  38. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    I paid plenty of attention to the film, and films in general, and you don't foreshadow a twist or gimmick like bringing people back from the dead unless you know you'll be able to pay it off. Nolan and his writing team aren't signed for a 3rd film, if they were filming back to back sequels like the Matrix or Lord of The Rings, I'd lend the theory more credence.

Or if this was a TV series I'd completely agree with the suggestion that he is still alive. I'm thinking 24 and Lost pull this trick. But they don't pull that crap in movies, and certainly not on purpose.

Gordon and Batman would certainly know as they stood over Two-Face whether he was dead or alive, concealing that from the audience doesn't serve any purpose.

And if there was a line at any point after Two-Face died that suggested he was still alive, I'd agree. There is no reason they couldn't have revealed he was still alive in this film, and every reason to think that bringing him back even after killing him, declaring him dead and holding a funeral would be cheap.

If Nolan is involved in the 3rd installment, there will be no Two-Face. But I wouldn't put it past Hollywood to hire someone else and come up with the suggestion that Two-Face actually didn't die, even though he clearly did.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
    Clark Kent likes this.
  39. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I co-sign this. Not only would it be cheap, but downright stupid. He is dead dead dead! These movies are based on comics where death is relative but this franchise will not pull that **** (Nolan for sure won't).

As I stated before, TF is too unrealistic for Nolans Batman. Nolan pulled it off in such a way that made perfect sense. Temporary insanity due to the loss of a loved one. As a result he gets revenge on those who wronged him, and accomplished his goals. There's nothing left for him.

It would be redundant and unrealistic to continue with (a dead) Two Face.

40. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    I feel the same way. Especially about Nolan and the Joker returning. Even if Ledger could come back I just cant see it being as good a second time. What more could they do, that would leave us with a feeling of, "we've seen this before"? So if that's true with Ledger, how could any other actor even think or trying again so soon?

And Nolan has set the bar very high. The pressure to even match this movie will be insane. I can see him walking away, in which case this franchise will suffer immensely.

I think they can make another, and make it good. I just dont know if they can recapture this magic. I'd rather see them stop now then produce a Spiderman 3. I have faith in Nolan, he's given us no reason to doubt him tbh, but he has a lot of work to do to match this.

Clark Kent likes this.