1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Combine Thread..

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by djphinfan, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    I don't know, I think to trade up, unless the price is really low (4th rounder or less) it'd have to be for someone who would be a difference maker right away. That to me would be someone like Leonard Williams, Kevin White, maybe Amari Cooper. Trae Waynes looks good, but I don't think he's in that category.

If it's between trading up for Waynes and staying put, I'd rather stay put and wait for someone to fall to us at 14. At the very least we'll slightly reach on a mid round player, but won't sacrifice an early pick in the process.

And isn't Finnegan retiring?

2. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I can't see Waynes lasting to 14 now. Not a strong CB class this year so I would give up our 3 to move up for him.

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Finnegan says he either plays for the Dolphins or retires. He may change his mind though. He wants to play another year with Miami but he thinks they'll cut him because he's pretty aware of the business end of things.

Sometimes draft picks are a little overrated. Which is something I think Tannenbaum would probably point out. If you're pretty sure that Trae Waynes is good in your system and fills a big need, giving up a 3rd rounder isn't that big a deal.

Lest we forget that the 3rd round is the kind of round where you're LUCKY if you pick up an Olivier Vernon, who is just sort of "decent" and who may not be asked back when his contract expires.

If you're super duper lucky you get a Brandon Brooks, T.Y. Hilton or Dwayne Allen. Otherwise the more realistic upside is getting guys like Akiem Hicks, Olivier Vernon, Sean Spence, Dwight Bentley, Bernard Pierce, Mohamed Sanu or Trumaine Johnson...all guys that play, but are just sort of up-and-down. And the downside is significant as it's more likely than not you end up with a Michael Egnew or T.J. Graham or someone like that.

Not even gonna consider Russell Wilson as that's probably a once in a generation lucky pick similar to Tom Brady in the 6th.

ssmiami and Rocket2981 like this.
  4. Canad-phin

Canad-phin Active Member

Oct 17, 2012
    To be honest, I have no worries about a trade up. I'd rather get the guy I want whoever that maybe for the cost of a lower draft pick. LIke CK pointed out, the averages of a 3rd rounder lasting into their second contract on your team are fairly low. Obviously I'd rather give up the 4th to move up a few spots to get who we want then the third but if I'm completely sold and a guy like Cooper starts dropping down to 7-8 area maybe we can sneak up and get him. I think Cooper, White, Parker, Shelton and Waynes are all great picks for us. If I look at who else will probably get drafted ahead of us, you have 2 QBs, Leonard, probably 2 DEs if not 3 (Fowler, Ray, Beasley), Maybe 2-3 linemen(Peat, Collins, Schreff) If I'm right on the high end that 9 players with 5 on the wish list. Chances one of them fall to us??? And it being the right position? I think that's why I trade up.

5. MiamiDolphin618

MiamiDolphin618 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Two corners whom I really like for our D would be Jacoby Glenn and Steven Nelson. Jacoby Glenn is about as cinderella fit for off-man as you can find…fits like a glove IMO.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  6. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Trae Waynes. I. Love. His. Speed. 4.31 is fast. Also, at just over 6' and 186 Trae Waynes and does 19 reps in the bench. Wow. Guy is slight but is obviously getting his butt in the weight room. They mention that he is an aggressive tackler, but like CK said can be handsy after 5 yards.

I like Jalen Collins a lot too, kind of raw w/ only 10 starts, but have to love the size and pretty good speed too at 4.48.

7. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
  8. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'm inclined to say the same about corner. IDK, I think the talent at corner in R2 might just be better than WR.

9. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I love Oregon CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu. His injury means he won't be much help this year, but I think he could be a stud. In my fantasy draft (well, one of many), we'd get him in the third (after Gordon, RB and Smith, WR).

jim1 likes this.
  10. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Fisher played left tackle as a senior and did a very good job. He looks more natural on the left side to me.

Fin4Ever and jim1 like this.
  11. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I have two favorite guards in this draft. If we go for that position I hope it's one of these two. Jamil Douglas or Shaq Mason.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  12. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Robert Myers, Quadzilla:

There have been some outstanding showings at this year's NFL Combine in Indianapolis, but perhaps none as novel and curious as the statement one prospect made with his tree-trunk sized legs.

Robert Myers, a 6-foot-5, 310 pound offensive lineman from Tennessee State, could not seem to find a pair of shorts that covered his massive quads. His athletic shorts rode up his thighs and and appear to be evidence that Myers has never missed a leg day in his life.

- See more at: http://yahoo.thepostgame.com/blog/t...rs-nfl-combine-quadzilla#sthash.JRzvG1HO.dpuf

13. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Looking at the safeties:

Wow Chris Hackett ran a 4.81? And second worst vertical so far 32"?

Durrell Eskridge has the worst vertical 31"??? At 6'3?

Cody Prewitt only 11 reps? Shocked.

Eric Rowe had a great day, near the top of every metric at the Combine. I really like him as a safety convert (he played it for three years). He may have moved into the third or fourth now. 6'1 and athletic. How well did he do? So far, his ranking amongst the safeties are: #1 3 cone, #1 20-yard shuttle, #5 60-yard shuttle, #2 vertical, #3 broad jump, #2 40-yard dash, #5 reps.

Justin cox also tested well today, though I don't know if I see it translate on tape. I'm curious for other opinions on him. A 4.36 forty is impressive though.

Kurtis Drummond didn't really hurt or help himself, hes a possible steal in the fourth.

Isaiah Campbell and Clayton Geathers are two strong dudes, 23 and 22 reps. Like them both.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  14. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Well, nobody smart has ever accused this safety class of being good.

As I said before there's not many guys to love here. Couple guys to like. The kind that you see if you can pick up in the final rounds or maybe UDFA.

15. keithjackson

Dec 1, 2007
    I have never seen a class so strong in the seventh round or as UDFA as this safety class.

Kind of a weird superlative.

That said, you should be able to nab a Hackett, Eskridge, Drummond, Campbell, Geathers, Sample or Holliman in the fifth, which provides good value.

16. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    DGB climbing

WR Just as most of us thought this group is very deep and talented. I think as many as 6 guys who weren’t in Indy will get drafted, as well as the vast majority of the guys who were in town for the event. Don’t think this group was elite and really fast? 11 of the fastest 15 players, per 40-times, were from the WR group. Of the 44 WR at the Combine 39 of them ran their 40’s. 19 of the 39 broke the 4.50/40 mark. That is a pretty fast group. 6 WR had Verts of 40″+, 7 guys had hand spreads in excess of 10″. Just throwing some numbers at you, which is what the Combine is all about. I’ll put the draftable WR number at 40 right now. This group is well above average. I see 5 sure fire 1st Rounders here in COOPER, GREEN-BECKHAM, PARKER, STRONG & KEVIN WHITE. My projected over/under for WR draftees from this group is 39, with another 6 from the non-Combine list.

http://gbnreport.com/combine-blog/

Fin4Ever and 77FinFan like this.
  17. ET7

ET7 New Member

Jan 7, 2010
    The more I watch strong the more I'm thinking DGB or move up for cooper. I just don't see any seperstion or YAC or breakaway scores or even runs by him. I just see him destroy DB on jump balls with extremely tight coverage. He reminds me of D Thomas build without the breakaway. Kind of like an Oronde Gadsden in terms of hands but not much when it comes to speed for YAC or seperstion. And don't mention his 40 time because the tape doesn't show that speed like you see with cooper white or even DGB.

If there is tape of these concerns someone direct me to it because what I do have doesnt show any of that.

18. keithjackson

Dec 1, 2007
    David Johnson may have had the best Combine of any RB. He placed in the top five in the forty, bench, vertical, broad jump and cone drill.

He could be the second RB taken at this point.

(Time to go watch some more of his film.)