1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The climate of disastrous consensus

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by jdang307, May 20, 2009.

1. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,,25348271-11949,00.html

This guy makes some serious statements. He claims the data shows cooling since 1998! And we might say, what a quack, but he is quite accomplished, Australia's top guy.

I wish the article would have substantiated his claim of lower temps. I know I've seen some articles pointing out that temps have dropped the past two years. But 1998?

But he likens some global warmers and environmentalists to rabid creationists!

EDIT: These scientists say the exact same thing.
    http://www.cato.org/special/climatechange/alternate_version.html

2. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    he's skewing the data.. somewhere, we went through this already. I'll look around and try and find it..

3. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    That would be good, because I couldn't find it. For every report, there is another saying it's skewed. For both sides.

I mean, this isn't one guy, but also those 100 who signed the letter to Obama.

I just dont' know which side to believe anymore ...

4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Which is why its just better to err on the side of caution. Is it really so bad to have less smog and polluted waters?

TJamesW_Phinfan and sking29 like this.
  5. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I think the better question is is there something to counter the carbon dioxide left in the earth and if not, where does the carbon dioxide go so that there is no effect................

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Why is that a better question?

7. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    because its one I think those opposed to global warming can't really answer. In other words they poke holes in the global warming theory but I have to see anyone answer where the carbon dioxide goes so that it is not a problem, or show at least a way that the earth would counter the effects of carbon dioxide in our atmosphere. Water vapors is about all I've seen on that subject.

sking29 and Fin D like this.
  8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I see. Great point.

I'm about to get beat up over this but...

It seems to me there is a correlation between those that blast global warming and those that blast evolution. They are generally the same people. Not all, but generally. These people, have a distrust of science, maybe there's not a complete understanding of the scientific method or they found science boring while growing up, I don't know, but there does seem to me a correlation.

Which is why, I say, err on the side of caution as an argument. What's it really going to hurt if we got more environmentally conscious anyway?

9. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Such as promote corn ethanol which probably caused more pollution?

The politicians that are promoting this are doing it not for the good of the earth.

I'd love a cleaner earth, it's just prudent. I'd like less habitat destruction.

10. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Would you say that about the 100 scientists who signed that letter to Obama?

11. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    how many are really in the business of weather.. if they aren't then I question the strength of their cosign.

keep in mind.. 1998 was the hottest year EVER.. so it stands to reason that comparing everything to 1998 is skewing the facts.

sking29 and Fin D like this.
  12. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Please don't mistake what I'm about to say here. Making the earth a better and cleaner place is a most worthy goal I only question the priorty we are giving it in relation to all of our other problems at this point in time.

The Earth isn't going away anytime soon as compared to the very real fact that if we don't get our Money house in order, and quickly, we won't be around to worry about global warming, polar bears, wolves, or anything else for that matter.

It would seem to me the most pressing goal would be to become solvent first and then we could better tackle global warming, don't you think?:wink2:

like2god likes this.
  13. Zach13

Zach13 Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Miami
    There has been slight cooling since 1998.

There was warming from 1970 - 1998 and there has been cooling since.

14. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    In my experience its not the same group at all. Evolution has a great deal of evidence to back it up and the counter is primarily faith based (ie. belief without evidence). Global warming is the opposite. There really is no getting around the fact that most of the dire global warming predictions were very wrong. Clearly the computer models were based on faulty assumptions. Despite that many people still believe without question. I think the best that can be said is that there is considerable evidence that the Earth has experienced many climactic changes over time and that evidence of our effect on it is inconclusive.

As for erring on the side of caution, which side is caution? I've seen science make things worse sometimes too. When Eugenics was the consensus scientific opinion we were sterilizing people to protect the human race. That was seen as erring on the side of caution as well.

Sure, it makes sense to limit pollution but that involves a balance. We could probably cut down on a lot of pollution by banning all cars but there would be negative affects on jobs and production. The line isn't between pro-pollution and anti-pollution but rather the debate is where to force/encourage change and what costs are acceptable.

gafinfan and like2god like this.
  15. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Maybe you're right. It has been my experience though, that they are joined together, and even along party lines as well. That's not to say it is a definite, but I've certainly seen a trend at the very least.

Well, that isn't a particularly valid argument. Sure science has made mistakes, that doesn't mean all conclusions should be considered up in the air. For example, when we dump toxic waste into a lake, its bad for the lake.

Of course it takes a balance. Few would argue to get rid of all cars. Certainly none that I've seen on this forum anyway. So, you're essentially stating the obvious relative to your audience. Right now however, there's no balance at all, and the scale is tipped all the over to the other side.

16. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The trend I've seen is that both creationist and global warming environmentalist have a high percentage of extremists among their numbers.

They shouldn't be followed on blind faith either. Eugenics was questioned less than global warming has been and it had fewer obvious errors.

Whenever somebody is on one side they think it's all tipped to the other side. IMO Kyoto and other agreements were all tipped too far to the environmentalist side.

17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I was trying to avoid just coming out and saying it, but very often conservatives, don't agree with global warming or think evolution happened. Not all conservatives, but ALMOST always are the people against these things, are conservative. (Not all crustaceans are crabs, but all crabs are crustaceans.)

Blind faith isn't accurate. Blind faith implies no data. Well to continue the example, we have very specific data that shows dumping 111 Trichloroethane into lakes kills all the wildlife and fauna of that lake and makes its water unusable. Its a fact and it doesn't need to be constantly questioned. Following your logic, there's no such thing as a fact.

Well, all our cars still run on gas, companies still pollute, LA is still covered in smog, etc.

18. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO that's inaccurate. That kind of thinking is fueled by the media and the 2 - party system. When you talk to most people without using party rhetoric you find that people aren't that different. Most fall in the middle or are moderate, but the parties get defined by the extremists on both ends.

That's not the same as saying global warming is caused by man. That's been accepted on faith despite contradicting evidence and predictions that are repeatedly inaccurate. I see it as too similar to the religious nut saying the world will end tomorrow. After enough tomorrows pass, you'd think more people would question some of the assumptions those predictions were based on.

The pendulum swings refer to policy changes. We have things we need to fix but there's a cost to incorporating that change. I used the extreme of banning all cars to illustrate that extreme policy swings can cause undesirable damage. The same is true for less extreme measures. The question is where to draw the line between benefit and cost.

19. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I've seen other explanations, one being that higher carbon levels lead to an increase in plant growth.