1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Christian Thread

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by The Rev, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

Great news, thanks be to God. Now all of you get some rest!

The Rev likes this.
  2. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Praise God.
    I'm with the Pastor, you guys try to rest and relax now.
    She's probably so happy she can't rest. I would be.:pointlol:

3. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    That's fantastic news Raul. His blessing is upon her and your whole family.

4. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Great news brother, God is great.

5. The Rev

The Rev Totus Tuus Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box Club Member

My apologies for not being around as much. Church, family, work, and school have been keeping me very busy. But, I think of you all often and pray for your intentions and blessings in your life. Please do the same for me.

As Kev posted a song once that has become one of my favorites since then: "My redeemer is faithful and true"

GB

PMZQ and Ohiophinphan like this.
  6. Ohiophinphan

You have been missed!

PMZQ and The Rev like this.
  7. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Well stick around more now Raul :up:

8. The Rev

New Thought

I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while here so here I go. The gospel for yesterday's mass was as follows:

I figured we could give our thought on the reading. Sort of like a bible study (but not really) and that way we could provide some insight to each other on the reading that we might have overlooked before and help each other grow in the faith.
    We always have Pastor Keith with us to guide us "back into the fold" if our ideas are not where they should be.

With that said, I have two comments and a question about this reading.

1- The idea of bringing the paralytic through the roof was spoken about in church yesterday as the clutter and distractions we put in front of Jesus. We need to find a way to get to Jesus in our lives even if the world seems to be blocking access to him. We MUST find a way to get to HIM.

2-The four men who carried the paralytic through the roof represent all of us in our faith. We have the power to carry people to Jesus so that He may heal them. We might also provide the only access to Jesus through our witness and spiritual walk. We must always be vigilant in helping someone out.

3.- A questions for Keith, though. When Jesus states about which is easier,to forgive or heal...what did He mean by this? Did He mean that He can show His power in the healing or there would be no way to check if He had actually the power to forgive sins since that only came from God?

Thoughts? :wink2:

GB

mullingan, PMZQ and Ohiophinphan like this.
  9. Ohiophinphan

I love this text (more as to why later) We celebrated yesterday as Transfiguration Sunday (last Sunday before Lent) and thus don't read it this year.

There was an old rabbinic, rhetorical position that remains enshrined in the writings of Judiasm. If you are able to do the harder of two tasks, it is assumed you can do the easier task. In sports analogies, if you can clear 6 feet in a high jump they will assume you can clear five feet.

Which is easier to say? To SAY it is "your sins are forgiven", right? No one can see that. By healing the man, which is the more difficult to say, we are told that Jesus is then the "God" that the scribes said is the only one who can forgive sins. He can do the easier!

It is a proof for the doubters.

Now let me digress about this text.

My first wife was a polio survivor. When she died my daughter asked that this text be the Gospel reading for her service. It helped remind us that in the resurection we are all restored in Christ.

After she died we discovered there was an additional insurance policy from her job that none of us knew about. Seems they changed carriers during her disability period and by law you can't drop her life insurance while on disability so she got the new policy and the old one! It was a windfall that my daughter and I didn't expect. After tithing it we decided to use the remainder for a trip to the Holy land through my daughter's seminary for the two of us.

The professor who led the tour would read a text from scripture at the sites we visited that pertained to the things we were looking at.

We arrived at Capernaum and went to the synagoge where Jesus spoke and healed the man with the unclean spirit and then proceeded to Peter's Mother-in-law's home. It has been well excavated and there is now a large Roman Catholic Church built over the site. The building is built on stilts so you can see through the plexiglass floor to the actual first century site below. There is first century grafiti on the walls so scholars are quite sure they have the exact spot.

The prof kept talking about Peter's Mother in law so I expected him the read that text when suddenly he read instead the text from yesterday, the lowering of the paralytic through the roof to be healed by Jesus. I gripped my daughter's shoulders and realized her Mother was there with us.

This isn't exactly the Bible study you were asking about so thank you for allowing me to digress. I would be honored to answer any further questions you might pose.

God's blessings to all of you.

10. emeraldfin

emeraldfin All I've got is insane

Dec 12, 2007
    Carlow, Ireland
    Quick question guys.

Over the past couple of years my faith in Christianity has pretty much disappered. Even though I study Christian theology and Biblical texts in college, I have pretty much gone to the stage where I will never re-kindle Christian faith. I kind of want to be apart of an organised religion but I just cant see it happening.

What I want to ask you guys is do you ever have times where you question your faith and if you have chosen the right one? If so how did you pull yourselves back from the brink?

Not here to debate guys just interested to here what you have to say. Cheers in advance.

cnc66, mullingan, Ducken and 2 others like this.
  11. Ohiophinphan

I am not sure exactly which direction you wish to go but I'll start and if you want to continue, fine.

Have I ever been tested or felt down, even abandoned? Sure! The loss of both parents and then watching my wife die slowly of cancer? The thoughts crept in.

Ultimately though, I realized that what Christianity offers which is different than other relious sytems is the idea that God comes to us instead of us attaining to God. Islam has its five pillars one aspires to. Hinduism, Taoism, Judiasm, all call upon the individual to do something to attain unto God. Christianity says we can not do that and thus Christ came to us and the Holy Spirit remains with us. That "knowledge" given to me in faith that God loves me and comes to me has kept me in the game even in the most difficult of times. It is very freeing to get oneself out of the way.

Does that answer what you are looking for enough to keep the discussion moving?

dolphindebby, cnc66, Ducken and 3 others like this.
  12. emeraldfin

Dec 12, 2007
    Carlow, Ireland

Let me say first off I'm deeply sorry to here that about your wife and family.

I see what you mean there, but let me ask you (and I dont know if this is a stupid question) but what makes you feel that God is there with you? During those tough times what is that makes you believe that God is there with you during them?

cnc66, Ducken, The Rev and 1 other person like this.
  13. Ohiophinphan

Thank you very much. I have been blessed with the love of another woman whom I adore. I feel richly and doubly blessed,

Not a stupid question at all. I suppose the best answer is that I have always presumed the existence of a god. While science has given me the "hows" the deeper "why" questions have from a very early age pointed me to a divine being.

I was raised a Lutheran Christian and certainly began my search through those lenses but I did search a fair amount before coming back to my roots and have tried to keep an open mind throughout my study.

Your question is tough for me to answer because it is asking me "how am I aware of my heart or brain or any other part of me". God has manifested Himself to me in people around me, in the intersection of circumstances, and even, on occasion, in the "wee small voice" which speaks to my brain. I know the agnostic or atheist would say that it a rationalizing delusion and they would be correct in that I have no more proof other than an internal knowledge yet it is there and has remained in some way throughout my life.

cnc66, emeraldfin, Ducken and 2 others like this.
  14. Ducken

Ducken Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware

That is an awesome question. Being relatively new to my new walk with God, I can understand how it seems like He is not with us at times. For me I am going through some rough time with work right now (who is not) but just when it seems like God has abandoned me when I need him the most, darned if I don't come into contact with someone that needs a job done, or most recent I have picked up sever part time shifts with a couple different fire departments as a EMT. Just dumb luck??? Maybe the 1st time, but time after time after time?? No it has to be of something out of my control.

And maybe this is just another way of God working in my life to help someone else, but the past few weeks we have been going over the book of Esther where God works behind the scenes. Here is a link to our church web page so you can listen to Pastor Andy talk about just this. http://htcde.podcastpeople.com/

And keep in mind just because we have given our lives to the Lord it does not mean we are not going to have troubles and hardships. It means we don't have to go through them alone, God promised us that and God has never failed to keep his promise.

Hope that helps.

15. emeraldfin

Dec 12, 2007
    Carlow, Ireland
    Thanks for the replys guys much appreciated. My final question I have and it has been probably the most detremental to my faith in Christianity, is how do you respond to the so called "evidence" that suggests there is no God from non believers? Also how do you react to the question marks surrounding Christian teaching on sexual and moral ethics? Is there times were you question the Bible or the teachings of Christianity?

That last question for me is where I really encourtered questions over my believe in Christianity and church teachings.

Ducken, cnc66 and Ohiophinphan like this.
  16. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine

Hello my friend, I know I have not been part of your questions but would like to express myself. You ask about so called evidence that God does not exist, though many atheist would agree with you, there is also evidence that God does indeed exist. But beyond that faith is the gas that powers our engine, there is a time where you learn to walk by faith and not by sight. I personally do not question the bible nor its teachings, though I admit I am a sinner who falls short of God's glory. Yes the bible speaks about sexuality, but also speaks against lying, stealing, and murder. These are all basic moral ethics that I would assume you would agree we need to have to keep a civilized world. I would also recommend that you stop trying to pursue a religion and pursue God instead. Try looking for a relationship with the Lord. I like others on this board have had my fare shake of hard ache. Just alone in the last 26 months I have had 14 friends of familes die, and the doctors have told me my my brother has only two more weeks to live. If I didn't have God I would be a horrible mess right now.

17. Ohiophinphan

First of all I doubt this is your FINAL question! :wink2: We keep asking them all our lives.

How do you prove love exists? It is unseeable and ultimately unknowable what someone else thinks or feels, right? To prove love one looks at the results. If another's actions produce sufficent evidence then one can "see" love. It is the same for God. One sees God in God's loving actions and that is the "proof" that God exists. I need no more and recognize that for many unbelievers it will never be enough.

Not everyone who believes in Christ gets it all right.

I am not just talking about saint and sinner, but what does the Bible say about x, y, or z. I struggle with issues of sexuality, greed, love of neighbor all the time. Living your faith is never simply like living within the law. Once fully codified the law is black and white. But when one is called to "love one's neighbor as oneself" then you have to struggle with each situation to answer what that means knowing sometimes you will get it wrong!

One of the reasons I returned to my Lutheran roots was the question of saint and sinner. While most Christians would now agree with the idea to some degree it is at the heart of the Lutheran understanding of Christianity.

Simul eustis est peccator

It means while we are saints, that is forgiven believers, we never stop being sinners, that is people who wish to excercise our own will instead of submitting to God's will. I find that a great explanation of my life and the world around me.

I do not have to please God, I am already loved by God and thus live my life in gratitude for that love.

Hope all this helps.

18. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Great discussion on God and great questions Emerald - I'd like to jump in and share some of my thoughts on some of this:

1) I struggle often with faith. It's a continual challenge. If I didn't struggle - it wouldn't be faith, it would be "certainty." But, I am reminded of the man who said to Jesus- "I do believe, help my unbelief!" I feel that way quite often. For me, most of the time it's a life experience or disappointment that causes my faith to struggle.

2) Personally speaking, the reason I believe God is with me is not from experience. I don't think we can know from personal experience alone that God is with us. Solomon said, "All things are in the hand of God, man does not know whether it will be love or hatred, anything awaits him." I can't always see the good in some experience - but accept it. The principle reason I believe God is with me is based on a faith in Jesus as the Son of God based on the evidence I've studied; that comes primarily from the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. If I did not believe in the historical reality of that, I would surely give up my faith (as Paul says, "If Christ is not raised, we are of all men most to be pitied ... (and) our faith is in vain" - 1 Cor. 15). The historical reliability of the resurrection of Christ (and the evidence I've seen on this) puts the crucifixion in a different light and it is the crucifixion that reminds me that God loves me - "God demonstrates his own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for the ungodly" (Romans 5:8).

The apostle Paul's life as a Christian was one of great sacrifice, heartache and difficulty (1 Cor. 4:7-11; 2 Cor. 4) and yet he kept his faith b/c he knew that what happened hear was not the end of the world - there was more to life, in other words, than this life alone (as he noted in Phil. 1 - "for me to live is Christ and to die is gain."). But, even Paul, at times, was depressed - note:

"For we do not want you to be unaware, brethren, of our affliction which came to us in Asia, that we were burdened excessively, beyond our strength, so that we despaired even of life; indeed, we had the sentence of death within ourselves so that we would not trust in ourselves, but in God who raises the dead..." (2 Cor. 1:8-9)

As N.T. Wright notes, this term for despair was sometimes used to describe what we might call a kind of "depression." I certainly experience that, at times. And, there are losses I've experienced (I watched my parents have some horrific fights, even physical abuse, when I was 7-8 years old; they divorced and then my dad died when I was eleven; and my sister died of AIDS about 10 years ago). Even beyond that there are personal struggles I've had with temptation and just dealing with particular trials. But, I continually try to go back and ask, "Is all this stuff really true? Or, am I wasting my time?" Every time I have done that I have found the reasons for my faith to be sufficient.

I would recommend a very interesting book that probably aligns with my approach to faith as well as any - and it's not a kneejerk book but seriously deals with difficult questions in a very humble way - The Reason For God, by Tim Keller. It has helped me with my own faith - among many others; I've also been greatly helped by the writings of C.S. Lewis (I feel like he has been a long lost friend, I've read so much of him) and N.T. Wright.

God bless ...

emeraldfin, Ohiophinphan and Ducken like this.
  19. emeraldfin

Dec 12, 2007
    Carlow, Ireland
    Let me say again guys thanks very much for the response. From reading your replys I understand that the questions I have asked may have brought up some darker moments in your lives and I do apologise for that.

Noticed some interesting stuff when I was going through it so once I read them again I will have a more educated response.

20. The Rev

You are welcome anytime, brother.

Please make yourself comfortable and ask as many questions as you need to. We love the conversation and fellowship. :wink2:

emeraldfin and Ohiophinphan like this.
  21. Ohiophinphan

I look forward to your response.

On my part, no need to apologize for bringing up "darker moments". While they were painful at the time, in this context they also remind me of my connection to God in a very powerful way and that is something I like to remember!

22. Ducken

Ducken Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware
    So true, and what is funny about our "darker" moments is we here on earth are the only ones that remembers them. The Blood of Jesus has washed us clean in the eyes of God.

23. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Hi

Just had to come and tell you I got to see MercyMe in person last Sat., Feb 21. They came to Columbus, GA for a youth rally. We just went to see them on Sat night and skipped the rally.
    They blessed everyone there with their music and talk.
    They really came across as very spiritual and are not just in the business for fame. Their testimony is beautiful. They talked to the kids there etc.
    I have always loved their music, but after seeing them and hearing them in person, I saw that they are a very special group of guys.
    The Lord truly blessed them with voices and words to share.
    They sang old and new songs. When they sang "I can only imagine", you should have seen the kids with raised hands and worshiping.
    I like all their music, but some of it really reduces me to tears, it is so beautifully written and sung.
    If you ever get the chance to see them, I would highly recommend it.

SCall13, The Rev, PMZQ and 2 others like this.
  24. Ohiophinphan

Contemparary Christian music doesn't speak much to me, wrong generation I guess, but I am constatnly amazed at its power especially with young people. Glad you had a great time Deb!

25. Ohiophinphan

Hey friends, I have a prayer request for this morning. My daughter is being voted on by a Lutheran Church in Richmond, VA for a call as associate pastor. Please keep the process in your prayers! Thanks.

26. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I know they are called comtemporary, but, I've compared the words to old gospel music and the message is the same. MercyMe's music is not hard rock sounding, it's very soothing and fills me with the Spirit. They bring me to tears alot because of the Spirit within them.
    I don't enjoy the loud, hard, sounding music at all. I like to be able to understand the words. :up: But, like you, seeing those kids respond in the manner they did was a true blessing to me.

It's so good to be back, I sure missed you Pastor.

Ohiophinphan likes this.
  27. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Sister Debby that is just awesome, you have once again been blessed.

Here is a video using "I can only imagine"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FS5GYvg6uU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FS5GYvg6uU[/ame]

28. Ohiophinphan

Good to have you back!

dolphindebby likes this.
  29. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I am truly blessed in so many ways Kev.
    With the cd's you sent, Joyce Meyer and my Bible, I am finally achieving some of that peace Jesus said He would leave us. It is wonderful and I'll continue to strive for it daily.

Thanks for posting the video.:yes:

The Rev likes this.
  30. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    This is great and amazing. Praise Him !

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMF_24cQqT0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMF_24cQqT0[/ame]

dolphindebby likes this.
  31. The Rev

Just heard some news this weekend that might make Debby a little happy.

Mercy Me is redoing "I Can Only Imagine" with an orchestral background.

Can't wait to hear it! :wink2:

By the way, in case I have not said it enough my friends....

Let us be blessed today. Let everyone we meet know whom we will serve this day simply by our actions and our love.

"Preach the word at every moment...use words only when necessary"
    St. Francis of Assisi

GB

Ohiophinphan, PMZQ and dolphindebby like this.
  32. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Wonderful news Rev. I love those guys. "I can only imagine" :yes: how beautiful it will sound.

Yes, let us be blessed and Praise the Lord with all our being!

Ohiophinphan, PMZQ and The Rev like this.
  33. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

My Dear Friends and Loved ones,

for those of you who may be surprised by this, Tuesday night I took Jacqui to the ER at Wellington Regional Hospital with severe pain and vomiting. She spent 2-1/2 days going through many tests, x-rays, MRI's, Ultrasound, you name it. Finally today at 1pm they operated on her, it was a serious operation, which her surgeon warned me before hand she might not have made it through, he felt there was a chance she could die from what they had to do and her condition.

Her operation took over 4 hours. Jacqui is very, very sick. An infected gall stone just smaller than a tennis ball ate it's way through her gall bladder and into her stomach, and was blocking the exit. They removed it and 2/3 of her gall bladder but there is still a great deal of infection and they couldn't even take all the gall bladder because it has grown attached to her liver and if they took out that part of the gall bladder she could lose her liver.

She is in serious condition and will likely be in the hospital for two or more weeks with another operation possibly required in a week or so. Her stomach lining is so infected they fear it could leak and say that could kill her if it happens. I am sorry to be so blunt and graphic but feel it is only fair to give you all the whole truth.

I just left her because she needs to sleep, I can hardly stop crying and was so upset as soon as I got to the parking lot threw up all over the parking garage at the hospital.

I ask you all for your prayers and Jacqui has asked that nobody visit or call her for a couple days, she will let me know when it is OK for people to visit or call. She has her cell with her but is going to keep it turned off for a couple days.

I will post more updates when I know more info worth passing on. This is the biggest challenge of Jacui's life, the surgeon said he has removed over 2,000 gall bladders and never seen anything like this before.

We are putting our faith in God and trusting Him to get her and us through this. Our daughter Lacey doesn't show her feelings well, but I know she is very upset, as am I. So please also ask God to help Lacey and me keep it together through this as well.

Thank you and God bless you all,

Mark

The Rev and Ohiophinphan like this.
  34. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    As I told you in your other post, my thoughts, love and prayers are with you and Jacui.
    Hold fast phins.
    We're here for you.

PhinsRock likes this.
  35. Ohiophinphan

All of you remain in my prayers. I have a longer message in the Lux but the sentiments are just as strong!

PhinsRock likes this.
  36. The Rev

Prayers to you and the mrs brother. God Bless.

PhinsRock likes this.
  37. PhinsRock

Thank you so much everyone for your loving thoughts and prayers. here is an update: The surgery took 5 hours, they removed 2/3 of her Gall Bladder, a gall stone that was infected and the size of a tennis ball. It ate its way through her gall bladder and through the wall of her stomach, then lodged at the outlet of her tummy. She almost died in surgery, but made it. She is getting stronger every day, still in much pain, has tubes coming out of her and going into her everywhere. 3 tubes are just for removing bile and infection puss.

The bile duct of what's left of her Gall Bladder is leaking bile, there is a tube and bulb drawing it out with vacuum, but if that doesn't heal in the next 30 days, she will have to have more surgery, this time at Miami University by a specialist surgeon. She will be in the hospital 2 more weeks, then maybe sent home to recover more, they don't want to go back in to repair the bile duct leak until her body has had at LEAST a month to heal from the first, very extensive surgery.

We do not foresee any more complications, but need to pray this leak is repaired either naturally or by God. Another surgery would really be bad and would mean she would be off work for almost three months, or more. we are in financial difficulty already, and now with losing her income, and all the copay's for the hospital, surgeons, et al, things are going to be tough around here.

I have been a basket case deep inside, this has been more emotionally draining than anything I've ever been through in my life. But I must remain strong for Jacqui and our daughter Lacey, and at my new job which I just started two weeks ago yesterday. It is a commission job so things are going to be very tough, I fully expect to lose this house, but figure we can stall foreclosure for 6 months with the right lawyer.

Again, THANK YOU ALL, for your kind words and for your prayers. You are all an awesome family, which is what I so dearly love most about this site. god bless and keep you all.

Mark/PhinsRock

Ohiophinphan likes this.
  38. Ohiophinphan

Thanks for the update. Y'all remain in my prayers!

PhinsRock likes this.
  39. PhinsRock

Great news about my wife: her condition has been remarkable the last 3 days, on Tuesday they did an upper G.I. and felt it looked good enough to remove the tube from her nose/throat/into her stomach. Yesterday they actually gave her food to eat through her mouth instead of intravenously. Even though it was all liquid (jello, soup broth, tea), it was the first time she had actually takend anything in through her mouth in 15 days.

Also the GB Bile duct leak has slowed dramatically, which means it is far less likely she will require a 2nd operation to fix that in another 6 weeks.

And the surgeon told her yesterday she might come home this Friday!

God has really been at work in my wife, all the prayers have worked folks, but then in this thread we all knew they would, didn't we? We are so grateful to you all for your loving sentiments and prayers. God bless you all!

The Rev, cnc66, njfinfan and 2 others like this.
  40. Ohiophinphan

Wonderful, wonderful news

PhinsRock and cnc66 like this.