1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Bureau of Land Management announced this week that it is considering euthanizing

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by calphin, Jul 2, 2008.

1. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

If the Bureau of Land Management is so worried about the "overpopulation" of the wild horses in their corrals, why don't they separate them? Is it so hard to figure out that if you keep mares and stallions separated, they can't breed? Another option is to sterilize them, or part of them, anyway. Also, catch the colts and foals and break them, and then sell them. This is just a prime example of bureaucratic BS!! Call and write your congressmen. If enough noise is made, maybe this won't happen.

After surviving the ice age, the industrial revolution and the slaughterhouse, America's wild horse population is facing a new threat: the U.S. government. The Bureau of Land Management announced this week that it is considering euthanizing wild horses to curb the population on the range and in federal holding facilities. There are an estimated 33,000 wild horses living in 10 Western states, and another 30,000 living in government corrals.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/144279?GT1=43002

2. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Horses barely give birth once a year .....how can there be a population problem?

Watch..there will be a european company step in to buy the "meat".

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
    calphin and azfinfanmang like this.
  3. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    ummm, the Spaniards introduced the horses you are talking about.. well after the last ice age.

opfinistic, calphin and azfinfanmang like this.
  4. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Pretty sure he is talking about horses in General Marty. Of course they had to survive the Ice Age just months before the Spaniards brought them over in thier Cruisliners :tongue2:

calphin likes this.
  5. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I was raised with horses and I still love them.
    Why can't they find GOOD homes for them and not kill them. They could research families etc. that would like to own one.
    The gov. should quit getting in our private lives. :angry:

sgtphin and calphin like this.
  6. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    basically they are saying "We're too lazy to find a real solution so we're just going to kill some off." Genious.

AbideN703 likes this.
  7. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Yeah well, adopting a horse is a bit different than say.....a kitten or something.

Quite honestly I can see how it really is a problem.

Back home in the Jemez Mountains (Santa Fe National Forrest in general) elk were getting to be a nuisance due to overpopulation. In fact, the grazing damage incurred caused several mudslides come rainy season due to the fact that the grass the elk fed on was in large what kept the country side from flowing into the Rio Grande.
    The Govt did step in, and it was as simple as doubling the amount of Elk Tags given out in the following elk hunting season....of course, that is not an option with wild horses, so I can honestly see how it has become an issue.

Of course the Govt knows how over-population occurs, but the Govt is also not in attendance at all the Horsey- No-tell motels where conception is taking place :wink2:

8. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Deer in the northeast, now THATS overpopulation. Strict hunting rules and lack of natural predators led to their population exploding. Now they are a real pain in the ***, menacing cars, getting into yards and gardens and causing property damage.

Not saying horses are gonna do this, just that overpopulation is real. Gotta be a better solution than just euthanizing a load of them though.

9. tazman

tazman Back at the Desk

May 15, 2008
    You can give me a pair of those horses. I'll let them graze in my backyard and won't have to mow grass anymore. There in I will save spending money on gas for my mower and won't polute the air when my mower is running. Win Win situation for me and the horses and the air we breathe.

dolphindebby likes this.
  10. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    About half of these horses are corraled Kenny.

What I find a bit disturbing is Stillman's reasoning:

11. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    Sure sounds like it to me. :no: