1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the bottom third of the roster, keep in mind, ....long

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by my 2 cents, Apr 30, 2020.

1. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Someone made a good point about the RB's cut and asked a question that is a good question about which backs may be kept........keep this in mind......this team now has a vision and they have a core and they most importantly have a QB that they are going to build around...so that clues you in on who they may keep at the bottom of the roster...

Also this team is zeroed in on what they value, character, position flexibility, upside on the bottom third of the roster, work ethic, ST's value, team and position fit as opposed to individual talent level....etc.....

1. their third down back that they are going to keep WILL be able to block first, catch second and if he offers value on ST's or ion the run game great but he WILL step up and protect his QB....that guy is in my mind most obviously Laird.

2. Watch who Tua develops a connection with in TC if they have one and when it happens. If there is some obvious misconnections then that guy will be on the bubble. Two guys that have some reputation that might be worth watching are, Hurns has notoriously dropped balls inside his catch radius and Tua is known for getting balls inside a catch radius very accurately. Wilson is known to have big YAC when he gets balls in space but has some of the same drop issues inside his body, although not like Hurns on balls that get in on his hands....a guy that may excel is Grant who can accelerate and has good inside hands and a small catch radius that does not get to some balls in space, that might not be as big of deal with Tua. If someone like a Matt Cole or Malcom Perry offers big help on ST's and connects with Tua they could surprise and I would not be shocked to see Hurns being left off the roster if someone emerges.

3. ST's......core ST's is obviously a priority for this team....picking a LS in the draft...wow type move.......they made Matt Cole who's best position is gunner a priority. Cole could also provide you the added benefit of return man value, and some potential at slot or even boundary. Merritt is another guy that has less experience and disability but ST's is also his path to a roster spot. Other guys that are right there on the bottom of the roster that might make a mark on ST's's and have some upside still are Chris Myarick, Calvin Munson, Bryan Sterk, Trent Harris, and Chandler Cox.

4. Position flexibility.......some guys that have that either the ability to drop down from DE to DT or stand up at OLB, inside/outside guys at LB, ....bottom third guys like Malcom Perry, Trent Harris, Raekwon McMillian, Ken Webster, Michael Dieter, Adrian Colbert, and a couple the rookie FA's come to mind like Donnell Stanley, Jonathan Hubbard and Tyshuan Render.

5. It might be time...some guys might be nearing the end of their Miami playing days as the team becomes more talented and is molded more into the image if Flores......guys that don't fit the above categories or some of them.....Durham Smythe, Chandler Cox, Taco Charlton, Charles Harris, Cordorea Tankersly and yes Allen Hurns are names I would not be shocked to see go....I think Albert Wilson gets another shot...but I "predict" one of the under the radar WR's Jennings, Perry, Cole or Merritt make the active 53.

Just stuff to look for if we ever get to watch football again.

The Guy, firedan, KeyFin and 2 others like this.
  2. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Token Gay Dolfan

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    I agree with a lot of this but I do not think Chandler Cox needs to sweat yet. This team wants a full back and wants to smash mouth identity to protect its quarterback. Unless they get a better full back I think he’s here for a while.

3. Etrius24

Etrius24 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 4, 2020
    The dolphins brought in a couple of lesser signings over the offseason guys that are absolute special teams monsters... The special teams play is going to be a lot of fun to watch this season.

The picks like Perry and the undrafted players like Merritt These guys will really make their presence known on special teams if they make the football club.