1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Best Course this Offseason

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Lots of talk and questions that will continue for several weeks. Should they keep the same group (even, say, sans Dan Henning) for continuity? Should they go after a big name like Cowher (who also has connections with Peterson, one of Ross' advisors)?

In my view here is what I think would be the best organizational course:

Fire Sparano and the offensive coaching staff. Hire Mike Nolan as the head coach. Then, look at replacing the OC with some QB' coaches or other offensive coaches that have worked on successful offenses (or perhaps an offensive mind who has been let go). Second to that would be firing Sparano and going with Cowher - but I won't discuss that in this space. Here's more details and reasons:

1) I can't see keeping Sparano - good guy as he is - as a good thing, long term and here's why:

The problem with Sparano, imo, is that he is about playing it safe. He does this on the field and with the players he keeps and/or starts. He wants players who don't make mistakes but then that may mean putting guys on the field who cannot dominate an opponent. So, he keeps John Jerry on the bench (preventing him from growing as a player) but has a guy like McQuistan (with zero upside and not a big physical, bruising player) in there. Sorry but this guy, while he doesn't make huge mistakes is not going to create the culture on the line that you want. He is a journeyman. So is Berger. Even in keeping personnel, he releases an Anthony Armstrong and keeps the guys who aren't going to make big plays down field (Bess and Hartline). Not that they are bad players but they are not explosive players.

With Sparano you have a team that is sure to get a FG but very unlikely to get a TD. It's not just Henning. Tony has the ability to say, "We want to be aggressive when we get into their territory - start calling plays that go for the jugular." But the offense does not. Instead, they shut down at the 30 and get conservative, not wanting to miss a FG opportunity. But, FG's will get you fired in this league and ruin attendance. As well as keeping a team from becoming a 12-4 playoff team. His philosophy was fine in 1970; not so fine today.

The additional problem - on the personnel level - is that if you keep Sparano, he has one year max to make a winner (no one can abide another season like this). But, he can't afford to throw a guy with big upside in there and develop him if the player is prone to making more mistakes or giving up bad plays. Thus, he'll go with the mediocre guy who doesn't make mistakes over the guy who can make a crushing block or 80 yard gain. As a result the team will be mired in mediocrity again.

2) Keeping Nolan. He's done a great job with the defense - which is talented and young. But, keeping the continuity on the defensive side is a key, imo. We want the same system and approach. Nolan as the Head Coach can do that (just as Belichick does on both offense and defense with his team). I don't see any way Nolan stays as DC with Sparano in as a lame duck and opportunities that will abound this off-season. Plus, if Nolan stayed and we got hit with some tough injuries and the D didn't perform next year, then he's not nearly the hot commodity he is right now having elevated the Dolphins D from 22 to 4.

- It is possible that Nolan could stay on as DC with a new coach (say Cowher) if their philosophies mixed and we gave Nolan a huge deal. But, I think the odds are long on that.

3) If we hire Nolan as the Head Coach - then we both keep the D in tact, philosophy wise (this D can be even better - especially if they add a young, physical ILB to go next to Dansby - in the years to come). The next step is to revamp the offensive staff. I would look for coaches who have experience in an effective pro offense and in coaching the QB position. Here's a few candidates:

a) Gary Kubiak. With Houston continuing to lose, they are very likely to look elsewhere as Kubiak has been there for a while. But, he's done a good job with Schaub and has a fairly explosive offense. He is sure to jump on as an OC as soon as he's fired. I think he'd be ideal in developing the QB position here in Miami. I don't see him coming here if Sparano is coach. But, I can see him coming under a new regime.

b) James Urban. Eagles QB coach. He is an up and comer at age 35 and has really been exposed to the Eagles offense for several years (here's a quote):

The Eagles have had a very good offensive attack - even with, imo, an inconsistent McNabb - and their QB's do quite well. It is in the West Coast genealogical tree - wouldn't that be refreshing for Miami?

This guy might actually be my #1 choice.

c) John Ramsdell - QB coach, Chargers. He was with the Rams between 95 & 2005 and with Turner since 2007. He knows this offense and passing attack - a very balanced system that can be physically running the ball and get after it in the passing game. He's still fairly young, in his early 50's, and would bring a good mind to the game.

d) Joe Lombardi - QB coach, Saints. Comes from another offensive attack that is diverse and formidable. Obviously it helps having Drew Brees. But, He has been with Payton for 4 seasons and I having a guy like Brees probably helps him as well. Probably too young (only 29) but still there's some real potential in this guy.

(I once entertained the thought of Josh McDaniels - whom I think is a good offensive mind and has done some great things with Kyle Orton; I wasn't too worried about the Brandon Marshall stuff but then I remembered the bad connection with Nolan - so that is pretty much a 0.0001% chance).

What I think is important is to get a offensive coordinator who has a good pedigree and a fresh mind (not an old-stuck-in-his-ways Henning-type), and who knows how to work with QB's. This is not just for Chad Henne's sake, but should the Dolphins go with a QB in the draft, that would be critical to developing him as well.

There is no doubt that the QB position, due in part to so many rule changes and sophistication in the game, has increased in its importance to the success of teams in the NFL. That's why I like these guys as possible replacement OC's.

Personnel wise - I want to keep Ireland on as GM. He's made some mistakes that have hurt the team - no doubt. But, I think he could continue to grow; and I think he would add continuity to the team.

For a while I've been down on the QBs in the draft that would be potentially available mid 1st round. But, if we did go with a Cam Newton - I think it depends on how he scores intellectually in part b/c of the sophistication of a pro attack - that the competition would actually make Henne a better QB. It's amazing how drafting a QB can make the incumbent that much better: e.g., Brees at San Diego when they drafted Rivers.

In later rounds and free agency I think the priorities are - RB (maybe 2); speed at WR; an ILB (to replace Crowder - whom I think has to go); and the OL. I see two linemen, maybe three (Incognito), as sure keepers (Long & Jerry).

... Bottom line, I think Ross has to work fast as soon as the season is over. He has to really have some ideas in place already. One challenge is the NFL diversity rules - he will have to take the time to look for minority candidates (perhaps a Rivera interview). I'm not at all opposed to hiring a Rivera or any minority candidate; but I also think that it's obvious who the top coaching candidates are out there and, except for perhaps Leslie Frazier or Rivera - the minority candidates are not at the forefront.

In my view, with Nolan, we have arguably the top head coaching candidate available. He had a rough time at a dysfunctional organization in San Francisco but coaches often learn a lot from that situation. And, he had a bum deal at Denver - but he's still young yet with good experience under a number of coaches and a number of teams. I think he's primed to be a very successful head coach.

The team also has been exposed to him (primarily the defense) and has seen his success. That would be a big positive. I can't see a better situation than that for Miami moving forward in the next three years than Nolan at head coach.

2. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Nolan is a great DC. I don't think he is a great head coach.

The fact that singletary, who is a buffoon in terms of game management but a great motivator, came in and immediately got the 49ers playing better, is a testament to that Nolan may simply not be the "leader of men" that is necessary in a ehad coach

ChrisKo likes this.
  3. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    IF....we hire Nolan as HC......would we have any shot at Hiring Harbaugh from Stanford as OC?????

4. Dolphinsfan69

Dolphinsfan69 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    No way Harbaugh leaves a head coaching job at Stanford for an offensive coordinator position with the Miami Dolphins. If Harbaugh leaves Stanford, it's likely for Michigan job or a head coaching opportunity in the NFL.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  5. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I agree. Nolan is a much better defensive coordinator than a head coach. I would not be happy with the owner if he fired Sparano and then turned around and promoted Nolan. If Ross wants to get rid of Sparano. He needs to bring in a coach with a track record of being successful as a head coach. Either Cowher or Gruden would be a definite ungrade over Sparano. Also, even though he has not been an NFL headcoach. I wouldn't mind Ross hiring Jim Harbaugh for the job if he decides that he doesn't want to hire Cowher or Gruden. Rumor has it that Ross is enamored with Gruden. So it would not surprise me in the least if, "Chucky", isn't making his faces on the Dolphins sideline next year. If Gruden is the headcoach. I certainly hope that he can convince Nolan to remain as the teams
    DC.

6. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    OP is pretty much exactly how i have been feeling. thank you for providing the details on the "who" for offensive staff. i think you need a young guy thats been learning from the best. it doesnt get any better than andy reid

7. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    How could you leave Gruden off that list?

Best case scenario, in my mind Nolan as DC/Asst. HC with a hefty pay raise and Gruden runs the offense as HC. In that scenario, I would be ok with keeping Ireland as GM. That way more continuity on the good things, bring in a guy to really jazz up the offense, has a ring, demands player respect and is very young.

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  8. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Great write up! Having said that, I don't agree with your overall opinion which seems to be -

Mike Nolan (already failed as a head coach) > Bill Cowher (superbowl winning head coach)

9. Killer B's

Killer B's Junior Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Cincinnati
    Thanks and you make some good points. I like how innovative Nolan is I just don't know about his management abilities and did not follow the 49er situation much. I was under the impression if Cowher came in he would want control over personnel which scares me a lot. I guess it would depend on who had the better connections to bringing in good OC and DC (whether experienced or up and coming). That has been a concern of mine with Sparano because it seemed like Parcell's had to talk Henning into coming out of retirement because we had no other decent options. Same with DC Pasqualoni (sp?). Now I believe the mess of our organization in 2007 made many shy away because they knew it was probably a three-and-done opportunity when they knew the job required 4-5 years to clean up the depleated mess.

Nolan: I like the continuity aspect because I am tired continually starting over.
    Sparano: I'm not sure a lame-duck with 1 year left on his contract is a good thing.
    Cowher: If he came in as HC only then I could probably live with that as well because we may have a shot to keep Nolan for another year. Or at the very least Cowher will continue with the 3-4. And hopefully has some good connections from 15 years with the Steelers.
    Gruden: No way for several reasons. 1) I don't believe he is a 3-4 guy and that is how our defense is built. Otherwise it would be a few years re-tooling the D. 2) He is only good it seems for about 2-3 seasons and then he loses the players. 3) He only seems to be able to win when someone else has built the team and has the foundation in place ala TB-Dungy. Not sure if this is fair since he did get the best out of the offense vs. Dungy and they had to give up 2 future first rounders to get Gruden. But regardless, they won the SB the first year, his teams sucked the next two years and he was gone after year 3. 4) I got the impression in the end a lot of his players felt he was dishonest and lied directly to them.

Ireland: I'd rather he stay in place because while not the greatest he has been much better than anything we've had in years/decades and IMO above average.

10. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't see Ross paying Parcells $4M, Sparano's salary, plus the salary to a new HC next season, considering we might not even have a season.

11. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    The television money comes in regardless.

And there will be a season. That is 100%. If the player's union follows through on decertification there will be football as usual.

12. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    That doesn't mean Ross wouldn't be paying someone to do nothing.

100%? What type of odds would you give me on a bet? 1000:1?

13. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    well for me, living in the tampa area, i have heard enough stories about the guy berating his players, his dog houses and hatred for all his QBs

14. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    He'll be paying Sparano to do nothing if there is no football. I'm sure us season ticket holders will have to pay for tickets that never get used.

And while I won't bet, I think the odds are very close to 100% that there is football at some point. There is no way the sides allow an entire season to get wiped out. And if the union decetifies, there will be football. They have already voted to decertify if necessary.

15. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    I would love to keep Nolan as DC. He's done a great job, but we are seriously talent laden on the defensive side of the ball, so I think we're likely to have a top defense no matter who ends up as coordinator.

16. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I would not mess with Nolan. Keep him up in the booth calling the defense. No need to bring him down on the field and give him more responsibilities in a position he has not blossomed in up to this point.

17. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    hard to imagine he would survive a new regime, imo

18. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    thats a good point. but you would also have to consider lack of revenue for fan apathy. bringing back a guy that wins a single home game is a hard sell for tickets and other revenue streams

19. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Very well thought out post!

I especially agree with the draft a Qb part

20. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    If that is the case be prepared for far more losing seasons.

21. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    That can be fixed though very quickly by a few wins. I wouldn't put too much stock into that. In fact I like the fact Sparano's teams are never afraid of going on the road and home wins tend to come along.

22. Auburn

Auburn New Member

Dec 13, 2010
    #1) Draft Cam Newton, definitely. It will create excitement and force the teams to defend both the run and the pass from the QB.

#2) Sign Vicent Jackson, he is a deep threat that is now in his prime. No idea why SD jerked him around. Imagine Cam with his legs also having the options to throw to Bess, Marshall and VJACK!!!

#3) Bring back Ronnie Brown, he is 28 but he has a few good years left I think.

#4) Sign Michael Bush from Oakland, they have McFadden going bonkers and Bush could be sweet with Brown!

You do that and the team looks a lot better than it did in 2010.

23. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    The last I checked. Ross is worth well on a Billion dollars. With television revenues and season ticket sales. Ross can easily afford Parcells salary, plus the salaries of Sparano and any new coach he decides to hire. The millions it will cost him to pay off Parcells and Sparano, and maybe even Ireland may seem like a lot of money to most of us. For someone like Ross. A few million here and there is like a few dollars for the rest of us. I have no doubt Ross is willing to pay whatever is necessary to bring in a staff to turn this team around.

24. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    If Ross is going to keep Sparano/Ireland he ought to come out and say so and give them extensions. Having them come back as lame ducks is a recipie for disaster and if he committed now, there'd be a better chance for Sparano to keep the team in line the last two weeks and maybe coax a win out of them.

If 7-9 vs 9-7 makes a difference in ross's mind then that's all I need to know about him as an owner and am ready to declare we will never win a SB under his stewardship

Da 'Fins likes this.
  25. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    There have been reports throughout the season that Sparano has told Henning to be more aggressive. I really don't think Sparano is the problem. After all, we do have an aggressive defense.

I'd keep Sparano but only if he can see that the majority of the offensive coaching staff needs to go. If he is willing to bring in at the least a new OC and QB coach then he is doing what needs to be done.

26. Frayser

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Head Coach - Jon Gruden
    Offensive Coordinator - John Ramsdell (known for developing young QBs)
    QB Coach - Scot Loeffler (Henne's old position coach from Michigan who will be available from Florida . . . idea from Mike B)

That's a coaching staff designed to get the most out of Chad Henne. As for player acquisitions, I think you target the following:

RB - Though subject to change, I am firmly aboard the Mark Ingram bandwagon at present. Sign Ricky back for a year if he thinks he's up for it. I'm also intrigued to see if Kory Sheets can bring some explosiveness to our RBs. While DeAngelo Williams is tempting, I'm concerned that he'll be overpaid considering his injury history. My first thoughts are that he's a bit of a gamble on a position we probably cannot afford to gamble on.

TE - We need a guy that scares defenses at this position and that can move Fasano to the #2 spot, where he is more suited. I still wonder whether the Bears would be willing to unload Greg Olsen. He's shown the same flashes of brilliance but is still struggling to find his place in a Mike Martz offense that just doesn't feature the TE that much. Either way, it should be elementary at this point that we desperately need to upgrade here. We're constantly getting killed by opposing TEs who are all much better than Fasano will ever be.

C - I think our guard play will improve if we can bring in a mauler at center. Haven't even started looking at guys coming out yet, but I feel like this is probably the best position on the line if we are looking for most bang for the buck. Not only is it a position that can be substantially upgraded over what we have, but it makes the line, as a whole, better. Look at Maurice Pouncey up in Pittsburgh.

27. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I'm not sure why we would want to bring in Henne's college coach. All Henne did after playing QB football at Michigan for four years was get the entire coaching staff fired. Also if you look at how badly the QB at Florida played this past season. I have no idea why you would want to hire the coach who did such a lousy job at Florida. If Gruden does get the job. I also doubt very seriously if Gruden would be interested in having Henne as his long term answer at the QB position. I think one of Gruden's first moves would be to try and find an upgrade to Henne.

28. Frayser

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    For a guy that did such a lousy job according to you last season, Loeffler sure does seem in high demand, with his name being linked to a number of available positions. Jeff Driskel, the #1 recruit in the country, is said to love the guy and likely choosing Florida because of him. So yes, I feel like he could be a positive addition. We'd also have a tremendous QB coach as our offensive coordinator in Ramsdell.

He can try to find an upgrade to Henne all he wants. I'm just not sure what is going to be available. The whole idea behind my plan was to bring in guys who can coach up a young QB. Do that and correct the other problems on offense, and I think we'd see a different Chad Henne.

29. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Personally I could care less how many jobs Loeffler's name has been attached too. If Henne is a product of his coaching ability. He obviously is not that great a coach. I also watched almost all the Florida games this year. I saw no improvement from Brantley at QB as the year went along. In fact, I thought he played better earlier in the year than he did at the end of the year. As far as Loeffler being a great coach goes. Dan Henning has been coaching for almost 40 years in the NFL. He has worked for many different organizations. Now most people want to get rid of him because they think he is a lousy coach.
    This may be. I certainly will not defend him after this season. All I do know is that Loeffler doesn't sound like the type of coach that will help the Dolphin organization get to the next level. If he is so well thought of on the college level. That is where he should stay. Perhaps he can help another school develop another Henne or Brantley. Their QB skills may be okay for the college level. As far as the professional level. Not even close.

30. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I realize Nolan was not successful as a head coach (marginally so one year). But he took over at a time when the 49er franchise was a mess (coming off the Debartolo fiasco).

And, the fact that he failed once doesn't mean he won't be successful elsewhere. Good coaches learn from their mistakes and grow.

Really we only need one example: Bill Belichick - very good DC; failed as head coach; returns to be very good DC; succeeds as head coach.

There's no way to say Nolan is a failure as a head coach but a good DC from that one stint, imo.

I'm not a Gruden fan as a coach; like him as an announcer.

I am on board with Ingram at RB if we didn't go QB.

The other option I would add here - especially if we went with Philly's QB coach as the OC - is to sign McNabb to an incentive laden contract. Odds are good he'll be let go by the 'Skins. I have never been a fan of McNabb. But, this is his worst season ever in a new system and bad karma all the way around - and he's still as good as Chad Henne has been. But, I would be good with McNabb as a stop gap; trade Henne; and draft a QB to develop.

I will be elated to totally eat these words; but I don't see Henne as anything but a journeyman QB who at best would string together a few good games. But, he will never, ever, imo, be able to lead a team to the SB (unless he improves significantly and he has the 2000 Raven defense & running game reincarnated). Even then, questionable. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I simply do not see him showing the mental skills or savvy on the field to do it.

31. Killer B's

Killer B's Junior Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Cincinnati
    A couple of these Gruden QBs are probably still available: Brad Johnson, Brian Griese, Luke McCown, Jeff Garcia, Bruce Gradkowski, Tim Rattay or Chris Simms.

32. Frayser

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Doesn't sound? What exactly are you hearing? You seem to have a strong opinion about the guy. Got anything other than one supposedly bad season the year after Tebow left?

I still do not understand this "Dan Henning has been around, therefore he is infallible" argument. Coaches don't always just ride off into the sunset or die with a headset on. Sometimes they're forced out because they've lost the edge, for whatever reason. That's just a fact of life. And, if it's a fact, it kinda renders the whole point moot.

33. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    No, Jim is either going to be a head coach or stay at Stanford

34. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Anybody know if Jason Spitz is going to be a free agent this off-season. He's got good size, smart, strong guy that can play C. I think he could certainly start and be the right guy to take on NTs. David Baas is another candidate but he has plenty of injuries.

35. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Why do you believe this? My expectation is that Sparano, if kept, would would use the same strategy to fix the offense that he used to fix the defense this past offseason. Namely, he would look for the best OC candidate out there and give him the reins. IMO that could well be Kubiak. I agree that he is likely to be good at developing QBs. I also think that Schaub and Henne have similar play styles.

Frayser likes this.