1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best article to date on this mess. Impartial...and well worth consideration.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by vt_dolfan, Nov 8, 2013.

1. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    That's why it is done though, because if you lack the mental toughness to handle the ribbing, then you lack the mental toughness to play this game at this level.

2. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Don't forget to give someone access to your account so they can edit posts and delete posts to make things look worse

Fin D likes this.
  3. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiM2U9AiQRM

Nick Saban's quote from that.

"As you well known, young players need to develop the kind of MENTAL TOUGHNESS and ATTITUDE the need to be professionals, so we are trying to help them with that to."

Pauly, WADR, what you just saw in that clip would be a great example of something that DOES NOT go on routinely in a typical workplace, and if it did, it would be considered over the top.

That's not the case in the NFL. What you saw goes on daily in the NFL. It is considered the norm.

What happened to Jonathan Martin in that locker room is the norm in the NFL. It's not even close to Cam Cleeland getting his orbital bone broken when he got hit by a sock full of coins when running the gauntlet as a rookie with the Saints.

cuchulainn likes this.
  4. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    KB21,

I'm a chef now, what that video shows is very tame compared to what I went through during my apprenticeship. I certainly don't see any cast iron saute pans growing wings. I've had head chefs go all Gordon Ramsey on me, but the one place I walked out on it wasn't because of the tantrums or offensiveness it was a place where the owner was an alcoholic and you'd be doing your job and then get bollocked repeatedly and randomly no matter how good or bad your performance was. In that kitchen you were either part of the owner's in group or you were a potential target.

Part of the point I'm making is that the law doesn't make exceptions for workplaces. Whether it is the NFL, the police, firefighting, cheffing, lumberjacks, or whatever industry thinks that they are special and the law doesn't apply to them the law thinks otherwise. The only workplace that has an exception to the normal workplace relations laws is the armed forces.

5. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I guess for me a key question is are we saying Martin's behavior, which fits in Pauly's pattern of victim behavior, is due in fact to poor treatment, bullying, abuse, etc., or due to the pressures of not performing, not meeting the high expectations that are a part of his and his families life, and actually rather than progressing but actually regressing in terms of his NFL goals. And maybe he doesn't really like football even though he is big and strong and good at it and can make a lot of money at it.

Pauly likes this.
  6. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Perfect summation.

7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The way that Martin played last year, he should of known that he was in store for some toughening up, he was horrible, now I understand Cognito lacks couth and maturity, but without malicious intent, does he really think that we as a team, deserves what he's accusing us of?.. Now if more stuff comes out that it wasn't the old fashioned variety, and it got downright evil, malicious and physical, then I'll revisit my position.

the 23rd and Fin D like this.