1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Beer Thread 2010

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by NJFINSFAN1, Sep 10, 2010.

Tags:
  1. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Okay, I'm bringing back an oldie but a goodie

I'm sitting here in NJ drinking one of my favorite beers

Lagunitas IPA :drink:

What are your favorites?

DeDolfan and Vengeful Odin like this.
  2. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Heineken
    Beck's
    Fat Tire Amber Ale
    Yuengling Traditional Lager
    Legend Imperial Brown Ale
    Bud Light

3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    My beer has no name-brand.

I hunt and kill my own beer, ladies.

J/k. I don't drink beer.

But when I do, I prefer XX.

Phinatic425, Fin D, 305 and 1 other person like this.
  4. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    Drinkin Sam Adams Octoberfest right now

Boik14 and maynard like this.
  5. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

Now your talking!!!:up: Love Fat Tire!

Phinperor likes this.
  6. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    LOVE this thread.

My favorite all time beer is obviously and undoubtedly Yuengling.
    However, I also like: Bohemia, Sam Summer, Victory (all brews), and a Heineken is good for a hot summer day.

That said, we're enjoying our homebrew wheat beer with a twist of lemon out of the keg right now :)

7. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    NewEra I hate your avatar...just so you know :pity:

305 likes this.
  8. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Yuengling
    Guinness
    Golden Monkey

Homebrew is far and away the best

9. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Amstel light. Heineken light. Or, a beer I tried at a Renaissance fair and loved it Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat. Tis yummy.

10. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    Yuengling Traditional Lager. I grew up 20 minutes from the Brewery.
    Blue Moon.
    Sam Adam's Summer Ale.

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    St.Paulis.

12. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    My all-time favorite:
    [​IMG]

Another favorite:
    [​IMG]

Both now defunct, although Redhook still releases DB once in a while, just not with Starbucks.

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  13. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    i love just about every kind of beer. sometimes i crave an Old Rasputin Imperial Stout and other days im happy with a miller lite, etc (though rarely)

i love mix packs. a really surprising and quite cheap mix pack is made by michelob. they have 4 different kinds and are all actually pretty decent. all around 12 bucks

sam adams mix 12 packs are a must for each season in my fridge

im not sure how widespread it is, but Magic Hat is a great outfit. its from vermont, but has recently made its way down to florida. their mix packs are excellent

NaboCane likes this.
  14. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Bunch of local san diego stuff, but names won't help unless you live here lol.

Hoegarden
    Leffe
    Anchor steam
    Negro modelo, and modelo especiale when I'm feeling summer'ish.

Don't like heineken or corona but drink it because that's what people buy, and I'm always into some good free beer (as long as it's not domestic cheapies, yeah I'm a snob).

maynard likes this.
  15. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Love Anchor Steam and Negra...ever had Anchor's small beer? Not bad.

maynard likes this.
  16. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    No, but been meaning to give it a drink. Hmmm, time to go hit up the beer market

17. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Don't expect too much. After all, it's made with leftover wort from another batch. Just nice and interesting.

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Hear me out. Don't stop reading after the next sentence.

There's a chain store called World Market. It is a lot like a...sigh...Pier 1. However, they do have a decent selection of wine and microbrews. And you can buy the beer by six pack or make your own mix and match six pack.

They also have interesting food and spices from around the world. It was also the only place I could find Tommyknocker Root Beer for awhile.

jdang307 likes this.
  19. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Magic Hat Hex.

maynard likes this.
  20. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
  21. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I'll keep that brand in mind, I do prefer Magic Hat #9 to Hex though.

I am floored I was able to find a Magic Hat variety pack at Publix

You hunt Beerfalo?

22. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Newcastle Brown Ale
    Bass
    Yuengling
    Dos Equis Amber
    Presidente
    Bavaria Light
    Imperial

DeDolfan likes this.
  23. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    World market is bomb for exotic beers, wine food products and other stuff. If there is one, you have to go there. it's the one place I can consistently get stuff like Leffe

Fin D likes this.
  24. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Sam Adams Okterfest is a gift from the beer gods.
    Cherry Wheat, regular Sam, and Summer Ale are a close 2nd third and fourth.
    Blue Moon round out the top five for me.

Some other favorites:
    Bass
    Heineken
    Killians
    Stella

25. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    sounds great man. i wouldnt mind seeing one of those down here. while you are picking out your new shower curtain, ill be mixing a 6 pack

Fin D likes this.
  26. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    I accidentally left this off my list...'tis good :up:

[​IMG]

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  27. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    :tantrum:

I knew I shouldn't try to be helpful.:lol:

maynard likes this.
  28. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Any IPA or Double IPA's. Sam always raves about Pliny the Elder, which is Beer Advocate's #2 Beer in the World. Unfortunately, the don't sell it within a 1000 miles of Florida, so I'm outta luck until he ships me some.

But, my short list:

Newcastle
    Dogfish Head
    Sea Dog Winter Ale
    Sea Dog Blue Paw
    Xingu (Brazilian Black Beer, A Swarzbier)
    Magic Hat #9
    Surly Bender
    Surly Furious
    Blue Moon

29. Fishweiser

Fishweiser New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Somebody had me try a beer called Pacifico that I really liked. I usually dont stray to much from your standard miller light of bud light kinda beer. I really liked this one though. I think its kind of along the lines of a corona or modelo light. Very smooth, easy drinking beer with a refreshing taste. Good stuff!!

30. Fishweiser

Fishweiser New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Ill throw my worst beer out there too:

Brewster Beer

Me and a buddy were looking for something different, and ran across Brewster at a beer and liquer store. It seemed like a cool name, had a cool label so we had to buy it.....we get out in the car, and in perfect synchronization, we crack one open, take a sip, looked at each other rolled down the window and spit it out!!...It was like we completly mirrored each other. It was one of those kinda things where you would have had to be there I guess, but we still crack up about that. I even saved a bottle of it to remind me of the worst tasting beer in the world!! LOL!!

31. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Gimme Budweiser on ice and I am happy. That is the Budweiser that has alcohol in it, the one brewed in Quebec. :)

32. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Ok old thread, I know, but it was either revive this one, or start a new one.

I tried the Yuengling ... and don't get the hype. I've never seen it before anywhere I went, and finally I see it when I head to DC for a conference. Excited to try it I finally did, and it's ok I guess. I mean, I'm not one of those snobby hoppy bitter drinkers, I can toss back the dark or the light beers (not lite neers) but the Yuengling ain't doing it for me. I think I just find it a bit flat, lacking in depth. You get this initial taste that I was hoping would develop and then it doesn't. Almost like a little more complex then a mass domestic.

Again, it isn't bad, and I wouldn't turn it down like I would a bud, or coors etc., but I guess it was just too hyped for me.

33. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Its pretty good IMO. I prefer St. Paulis though.

34. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Tomorrow I'm actually homebrewing with a friend and we're going to be doing a micro-tasting (likely just us and our wives). I was stoked to find some just-released rarities at the local beer store, including Ovila, a collaboration between Sierra Nevada and an actual monastery in Belgium, as well as La Folie, New Belgium's (relatively) famous sour brown. I'm also busting out a 2008 vintage of Boulevard's Imperial Stout, and a pair of Goose Island's reserve series, Matilda and Fleur, (Goose Island mainly because we are planning to lament their recent sale to industry giant InBev - you know them as Anheiser Busch).

Since it is going to be close to 90 degrees tomorrow I'm also bringing over a pair of Anchor Classics - the Liberty Ale and the Steam Beer, which I've just had again for the first time in ages, and had forgotten just how good they were. We're also going to be trying Boulevard's Boss Tom Golden Bock, which is a Maibock that's crisp and refreshing. Anchor Steam is sessionable, at 4.9% ABV, while the other two check in at right around 6.0% ABV, which isn't bad either.

As far as what I "usually" drink, well that can vary wildly. I like to think of myself as a bit of a beer nerd, which means I'm usually not drinking the same thing twice. In recent years I've gone from the überhoppy (think Pliny the Elder, Stone Ruination, etc.) and back. These days I find myself enjoying a really nicely well crafted Pale Ale, like Sierra Nevada's, Boulevard's, or even Flying Monkey. But for me trying to pick my favorite beer is like trying to pick my favorite child. Pretty much impossible.

Dol-Fan Dupree, Boik14 and NaboCane like this.
  35. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Yuengling is (sorry guys) just a step above Bud and Coors IMO ... it's not bad, by any stretch of the imagination, but it's also not really ground breaking. I've had it but you're right, it's certainly not earth-shattering.

It really depends on what you're looking for. If you're not into craft beer all that much (you mention not liking bitter beers), then you might try Samuel Adams Noble Pils (it's a seasonal out right now) or Victory Prima Pils. Both are going to be in the Pilsner style, which is what Bud, Coors, and Miller are all based on ... the difference is they don't use adjuncts and don't rely on marketing speak to sell themselves. So they actually taste kind of good. Another one you could try is Sierra Nevada Glissade, which is a Helles Bock (similar to a Pils), and should be pretty nice as well.

36. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Sammy Adams Summer Ale, Regular, Oktoberfest, Winter lager. I. used to drink the Sammy Adams light which is one of the best light beers you will ever taste.

Boik14 likes this.
  37. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    No, I can, and have, and still do, drink the bitter hoppy beers. I just mentioned that I'm not one of those snobs, you know the type, that sneer at anything else. I can enjoy all types of beers, the super hoppy all the way down to the lighter beers. I used to be one, but not so much anymore. I'm in San Diego, so I have microbrews up the yin yang within miles around me, and many nice restaurants that will only feature crafts. Some that can't be bought anywhere but here (Pizza Port ... some of the best crafted beers around). I'm no longer the beer "nerd" I used to be though.

38. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    If you ever come to San Diego, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza_Port Their beer is fantastic. And lets just say the patrons at the Solana Beach location are mmmmm mmmmm goood ;) Healthy ladies around there :) Haven't been to the other two locations however. The Solana location is a few blocks from my parent's house. Pizza is meh (did I mention I am a food snob too) but the beer makes it worth it

39. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Pizza Port always wins medals at GABF ... one of the highlights for me last year was checking out the different selections that they had on tap. I can imagine the scenery in SoCal ...

I need to make another trip out to California. Russian River, Stone, Sierra Nevada, Lost Abbey, the Bruery, AleSmith ... the list goes on and on with amazing craft brewers in California. Though I do have pretty good access to the Denver market, which isn't bad in it's own right.

jdang307 likes this.
  40. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    The lawyer that is aka The Beer Guru!

jdang307 likes this.