The Badger Hunt Continues - Day 3 - Van Ginkel

33 replies

GalantGalantForum VeteranOP
Apr 27, 2019, 03:20 PM


"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)

GalantGalantForum Veteran
Apr 27, 2019, 03:21 PM


"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)

GalantGalantForum Veteran
Apr 27, 2019, 03:26 PM

Barry Jackson isn't happy...


"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)

WIWilkimaniaForum Veteran
Apr 27, 2019, 03:27 PM

Feels like the point of these picks isn't necessarily who is the BPA but who are the most versatile players that Flores can use in a number of ways.

Surfs Up 99Surfs Up 99Forum Veteran
Apr 27, 2019, 03:35 PM

Seems to me that our local beat writers are still a little hungover from their combative experience with our last HC. I am not sure what people expect. We have only had a chance to draft 3 guys and trade for 1. We had needs at QB, DT, OG, and LB, too. Sheesh!

Leadership isn't getting people to line up behind you; it is getting them to join you.

Sometimes the journey is as important as the destination.

The little things matter. Winning starts by not beating ourselves.

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Team Tua.

Miami Dolphins Homer!

HIhitman8Forum Veteran
Apr 27, 2019, 03:37 PM

"Wilkimania wrote:

Feels like the point of these picks isn't necessarily who is the BPA but who are the most versatile players that Flores can use in a number of ways.

Coachable my ass, this was a dumb pick, Charles Omenihu, Joe Jackson, Jordan Brailford and Ross Pierschbacher are a heck of a lot better picks than van ginkell and they will run through walls as well.

HIhitman8Forum Veteran
Apr 27, 2019, 03:39 PM

"Surfs Up 99 wrote:

Seems to me that our local beat writers are still a little hungover from their combative experience with our last HC. I am not sure what people expect. We have only had a chance to draft 3 guys and trade for 1. We had needs at QB, DT, OG, and LB, too. Sheesh!

People expect better actual picks. We reached with both our 3rd and 5th rounders. Both Dieter and Van ginkell went a round or two earlier than they should have thanks to our knuckleheaded FO. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

HIhitman8Forum Veteran
Apr 27, 2019, 03:42 PM

"Surfs Up 99 wrote:

Seems to me that our local beat writers are still a little hungover from their combative experience with our last HC. I am not sure what people expect. We have only had a chance to draft 3 guys and trade for 1. We had needs at QB, DT, OG, and LB, too. Sheesh!

Jordan Brailford edge, Michael Jackson CB miami, Ross Pierschbacher C Alabama, Brett Rypien QB Boise State, DeAndre Walker Edge Georgia, Isaiah Prince OT Ohio State, emanuel Hall WR, Darius Slayton WR auburn, mitch Hyatt OT clemson, Ryan Bates G Penn State, Joe Jackson DE Miami,

All these guys were available in the 5th and we passed for van ginkell who should actually have been a 7th rounder. #dolphinssuckatdrafting

GalantGalantForum Veteran
Apr 27, 2019, 03:43 PM


"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)

Surfs Up 99Surfs Up 99Forum Veteran
Apr 27, 2019, 03:45 PM

"hitman8 wrote:

People expect better actual picks. We reached with both our 3rd and 5th rounders. Both Dieter and Van ginkell went a round or two earlier than they should have thanks to our knuckleheaded FO. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

You could be right. I don't know, but I do know that draft day is not the day to properly evaluate a pick. Let's give these guys time and see what the plan is and how they develop. Don't worry. If they turn out to be hot garbage, I will be the first one in line to complain about that. I want our team to have success as much as you do and anyone else around here.

Leadership isn't getting people to line up behind you; it is getting them to join you.

Sometimes the journey is as important as the destination.

The little things matter. Winning starts by not beating ourselves.

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Team Tua.

Miami Dolphins Homer!

GalantGalantForum Veteran
Apr 27, 2019, 04:17 PM


"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)

AGAGuyNamedAlexForum Veteran
Apr 27, 2019, 04:48 PM

"hitman8 wrote:

People expect better actual picks. We reached with both our 3rd and 5th rounders. Both Dieter and Van ginkell went a round or two earlier than they should have thanks to our knuckleheaded FO. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

This is so ridiculous because you have no idea where these guys go if we dont draft them.

Do you have access to any teams board let alone everyones?

You're just placing your own analysis on him and acting like it's a consensus among the NFL.

Surfs Up 99Surfs Up 99Forum Veteran
Apr 27, 2019, 04:56 PM

You know what's weird about the Patriot's draft picks is that I seem to remember a lot of times people will not initially be ecstatic about a pick, but after a year or so when the guy starts producing at a solid level then then people are all over it. I would love it if that is the case with us. What I hope for the most is that any guy we draft fits our criteria of being smart, tough, loves football, and are team first (not, me first) players. If we can do that, I think we are well on our way to rebuilding this thing. It's not going to happen overnight, and that is all I can hang my hat on at the moment, but I am encouraged.

Leadership isn't getting people to line up behind you; it is getting them to join you.

Sometimes the journey is as important as the destination.

The little things matter. Winning starts by not beating ourselves.

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Team Tua.

Miami Dolphins Homer!

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Apr 27, 2019, 04:58 PM

"Surfs Up 99 wrote:

You know what's weird about the Patriot's draft picks is that I seem to remember a lot of times people will not initially be ecstatic about a pick, but after a year or so when the guy starts producing at a solid level then then people are all over it. I would love it if that is the case with us. What I hope for the most is that any guy we draft fits our criteria of being smart, tough, loves football, and are team first (not, me first) players. If we can do that, I think we are well on our way to rebuilding this thing. It's not going to happen overnight, and that is all I can hang my hat on at the moment, but I am encouraged.

That's every player we've drafted thus far this year and Rosen actually.

HIhitman8Forum Veteran
Apr 27, 2019, 05:03 PM

"AGuyNamedAlex wrote:

This is so ridiculous because you have no idea where these guys go if we dont draft them.

Do you have access to any teams board let alone everyones?

You're just placing your own analysis on him and acting like it's a consensus among the NFL.

I have access to almost every major board on every draft and scout site, plus my own analysis, van ginkell was not projected to go in the fifth on any board anywhere. He was a a 7th rounder at best.

HIhitman8Forum Veteran
Apr 28, 2019, 11:55 AM

Still can't believe we had Charles Omenihu on the board in the fifth and passed to overdraft van ginkell.

AGAGuyNamedAlexForum Veteran
Apr 28, 2019, 02:29 PM

"hitman8 wrote:

I have access to almost every major board on every draft and scout site, plus my own analysis, van ginkell was not projected to go in the fifth on any board anywhere. He was a a 7th rounder at best.

You realize all those sites are basically the equivalent of tabloid trash right? A bunch of opinions of people who dont really matter.

Unless you can point to an NFL draft board you camt determine where a player would have went. It's all opinion really.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Apr 28, 2019, 04:20 PM

If this guy increases his strength, I think he can be great!

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

HIhitman8Forum Veteran
Apr 28, 2019, 05:09 PM

"AGuyNamedAlex wrote:

You realize all those sites are basically the equivalent of tabloid trash right? A bunch of opinions of people who dont really matter.

Unless you can point to an NFL draft board you camt determine where a player would have went. It's all opinion really.

Some of the better sites have a pretty good track record of evaluating talent. Game film, workout numbers and personal histories are public information anyone can analyze and get a good feel for how good a prospect is. The tape doesn't lie you can tell by watching game tape and strength of competition how good pretty much any prospect is. The only information non pro scouts don't have total access to are things like individual interviews and medicals.

HIhitman8Forum Veteran
Apr 28, 2019, 05:13 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

If this guy increases his strength, I think he can be great!

He has a lot of work to do, strength wise and also learning how to use his hands and rush the passer more effectively. Almost all his sacks came on stunts where he went pretty much unblocked. He is good at timing stunts and navigating to the quarterback. But whenever anybody gets their hands on him he is done.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Apr 28, 2019, 05:15 PM

"hitman8 wrote:

He has a lot of work to do, strength wise and also learning how to use his hands and rush the passer more effectively. Almost all his sacks came on stunts where he went pretty much unblocked. He is good at timing stunts and navigating to the quarterback. But whenever anybody gets their hands on him he is done.

That is why they drafted him. He is good at exactly what they want him to do.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

HIhitman8Forum Veteran
Apr 28, 2019, 05:18 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

That is why they drafted him. He is good at exactly what they want him to do.

Sure, but the thing is we could have waited to the sixth or 7th round and still got him. We passed up some better talent in the fifth to reach for him there.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Apr 28, 2019, 05:19 PM

"hitman8 wrote:

Sure, but the thing is we could have waited to the sixth or 7th round and still got him. We past up some Bette talent in the fifth to reach for him there.

The first thing you said, we do not know. Players are drafted at different spots compared to what we think all the time.

The second thing you said, we will know in the future.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporter
Apr 28, 2019, 08:15 PM

Van Ginkel IMO is an attempt to find and develop a Jamie Collins type player- a guy who can play ILB on most reps but rolls down to play OLB in some sub packages. For most teams, you've got a bit of an odd duck like Kyle Van Noy was with Detroit. For teams like the Dolphins it's a great find if the guy develops. Wisconsin has a habit of producing players who aren't for everyone, but they're right up the alley of a certain handful of teams running certain defensive fronts.

Consider what's going on with the Browns and Joe Schobert right now:

The guy came out of college playing the same Wisconsin OLB position as Van Ginkel, and managed to turn into a Pro Bowl player in Gregg Williams defense which values some of those kind of traits. However, now that Steve Wilks has taken over in a traditional 4-3 Over front, Schobert is on the outs- he's not quite the refined, sideline to sideline linebacker, and he's not big enough to do what defensive ends are asked to do in the front.

IMO, there's a handful of teams that are going be called up the Browns on Schobert if he's really available, and 80% of the league couldn't give a rats ass.

SceetoSceetoForum Veteran
Apr 28, 2019, 09:12 PM

I hope he works out just so after he makes a good tackle or sack we can say that the player just got Van Ginkeled.

.....sorry