The Bacon Thread

53 replies

gunn34gunn34New Member
Oct 28, 2016, 04:23 PM

When I was a kid, I used to only eat bacon if it was still wiggly. Not I have to have it cooked all the way. Doesn't have to break, but well done. I prefer Hickory Smoked bacon above all others and the thicker the better. I always cook mine in the oven. It saves on the grease smell and mess.

BpkBpkLuxury Box
Oct 28, 2016, 06:56 PM

"Paul 13 wrote:

BPK, and anyone else in the LA area... might find this place interesting... I've only read about it.. bit of a drive for me... Bacon Bar...

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-bacon-bar-orange-county-20160421-story.html

http://www.saintmarcusa.com/

You've done mankind a great service by sharing this! Great bacon menu!

BpkBpkLuxury Box
Oct 28, 2016, 06:57 PM

"gunn34 wrote:

When I was a kid, I used to only eat bacon if it was still wiggly. Not I have to have it cooked all the way. Doesn't have to break, but well done. I prefer Hickory Smoked bacon above all others and the thicker the better. I always cook mine in the oven. It saves on the grease smell and mess.

Everything about this post is bacon. 100/100 Bacon Score.

CRAZYFACECRAZYFACEForum Veteran
Nov 1, 2016, 06:36 AM

"Bpk wrote:

Everything about this post is bacon. 100/100 Bacon Score.

Sorry guys you have no idea about bacon. The stuff which you laughingly refer to as "bacon" as the type we would use for covering things with.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=back+bacon+rashers&rlz=1C1AOHY_enGB708GB708&espv=2&biw=800&bih=481&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi85dmprYfQAhUkDsAKHQuTDwoQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=SWkiGudvoaYsuM%3A

This is bacon. :lol:

FasanoPaisanoFasanoPaisanoSupporter
Nov 1, 2016, 07:16 AM

"CRAZYFACE wrote:

Sorry guys you have no idea about bacon. The stuff which you laughingly refer to as "bacon" as the type we would use for covering things with.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=back+bacon+rashers&rlz=1C1AOHY_enGB708GB708&espv=2&biw=800&bih=481&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi85dmprYfQAhUkDsAKHQuTDwoQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=SWkiGudvoaYsuM%3A

This is bacon. :lol:

I know you're referring to U.K., but I travel to Ireland for work a fair bit, and what they call bacon we would call ham here. That stuff you linked to looks similar...like a cross between US bacon and Irish bacon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Nov 1, 2016, 11:33 AM

I enjoy bacon best when there's a nice mix of the meaty and fatty parts. When that ratio is off and it's all meaty parts (like in some of those pics from the UK) I find it's too much like ham. (Don't even get me started about the Canadians!). And frankly, ham doesn't taste as good as bacon.

BpkBpkLuxury Box
Nov 1, 2016, 12:52 PM

"CRAZYFACE wrote:

Sorry guys you have no idea about bacon. The stuff which you laughingly refer to as "bacon" as the type we would use for covering things with.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=back+bacon+rashers&rlz=1C1AOHY_enGB708GB708&espv=2&biw=800&bih=481&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi85dmprYfQAhUkDsAKHQuTDwoQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=SWkiGudvoaYsuM%3A

This is bacon. :lol:

That's good stuff! You know, I may have to include my homeland's peameal Canadian Bacon as exhibit B!


As a kid I discovered this tastes amazing with the extra plum sauce packets left over from chinese food takeout.

BpkBpkLuxury Box
Nov 1, 2016, 12:53 PM

"rafael wrote:

I enjoy bacon best when there's a nice mix of the meaty and fatty parts. When that ratio is off and it's all meaty parts (like in some of those pics from the UK) I find it's too much like ham. (Don't even get me started about the Canadians!). And frankly, ham doesn't taste as good as bacon.

Aha! I hadn't even read this yet when I posted my Canadian Ham -- er, I mean Bacon, pics!

BpkBpkLuxury Box
Nov 1, 2016, 12:59 PM

I've been researching and found these so far...

Surry bacon
http://www.edwardsvaham.com/category/bacon
About this item
All bacon is not created equal! Made from rare Six-Spotted Berkshire hogs pasture-raised on family farms, Surry Farms' Berkshire bacon proves how a little fat in the right places can produce a noticeably superior flavor. They dry cure Berkshire pork bellies by hand with natural



Mangalitsa Bacon by Mosefund FarmMangalitsa, an heirloom breed of pig once reserved for Austrian royalty, beckons back to a time when hogs were valued for their rich, flavorful fat. Unfortunately, this heritage hog was on the verge of disappearing, as people looked for leaner hogs in sacrifice of flavor. But thanks to the work of grass-roots breeder associations, this hog is coming back! If you're a bacon connoisseur, Mangalitsa Bacon will change your life. This thick, fatty bacon is not for those looking for bland, lean cuts of supermarket fodder. Rich in the "good" fat and high in Omega 3 fatty acids, Mangalitsa fat is mostly monounsaturated and this bacon is full of it! This bacon comes from hogs that are allowed to live outdoors on Mosefund Farm in NJ, on the edge of the Pocono forest. Rich, smoky, meaty and thick cut to showcase the fat, meat flavor and texture, we recommend not cooking this bacon too crisp, lest you lose out on all that makes this bacon coveted.





And...
Bacon Cook Off Assortment
http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/search.aspx?qry=baconTry a sampling of the country’s best bacon! We’ve selected a range of thick and thin sliced bacon, going from lightly smoked and sweet to hearty and salty. If you’re a bacon aficionado, this assortment is a great way to try some of America’s finest swine. This Bacon Cook-Off includes:

Uncured Nitrite-Free Bacon by Nodines: Slow smoked with hickory and maple hardwoods for an old-fashioned taste. (16 oz)
Hickory Smoked Virginia Bacon: A genuine, hickory-smoked bacon that fills your kitchen with the enticing aroma of real country cooking. (12 oz)
Broadbent's Kentucky Bacon: Broadbent old-fashioned country smoked bacon has been made the same way for the last 100 years. Working out of their smoke house in Kentucky, every slab is hand rubbed with dry cure ingredients, then slow smoked for an unforgettable flavor that has been loved for generations. (14 oz)
Vermont Maple Cured and Cob Smoked Bacon: A combination of mellow, smooth smoke and relatively low salt allows the flavor of the real Vermont maple syrup to shine through. (12 oz)
Southern Rind-On Bacon by Striplings: For those that like a little extra crunch with their bacon, try Stripling's Rind on Bacon! (16 oz)

BpkBpkLuxury Box
Nov 1, 2016, 01:09 PM

Had this one at a farm-style restaurant in LA and it was very good

Black Pig Bacon
http://www.blackpigmeatco.com/12-packs-black-pig-bacon-in-one-shipment/

...also, it's amazing to me how many pig breeds there are, like the next one...

Heritage Foods USA
https://store.heritagefoodsusa.com/signature-bacon-sliced-three-1lb-packs-red-wattle-or-duroc-p82.aspx

Signature Bacon Sliced
Red Wattle or Duroc

Our signature bacon is extremely balanced and easy to enjoy with every meal, from breakfast to midnight snack — a true classic! Produced in a maple sugar cure and sourced from our pasture-raised rare breed pigs, this sweet bacon is sure to become a fixture in your fridge and has been a top seller for over 10 years. Enjoy in BLTs, with eggs or pasta and as a stand-alone snack.

Paradise Locker Meats has won numerous competitions for their cure recipe. Try this bacon at famous shops like Cafe Rouge in Berkeley, CA and City Bakery in NY! This is some of the best bacon we've ever tried. Our breeds include Berkshire, Red Wattle, Duroc, Gloucestershire Old Spot, Large Black, and Tamworth. Each heritage breed boasts its own flavor profile, and we encourage you to try them all. Check our website often as we cycle in different breeds of bacon throughout the year. Or try our Bacon Sampler, which includes bacon from America's greatest curemasters!

Heritage USA
https://store.heritagefoodsusa.com/bacon-sampler-55lb-total-six-packs-of-americas-best-bacons-p1586.aspx

Bacon Sampler
Bacon is one of Heritage Foods USA's top sellers and for good reason! Who doesn't love bacon. This package is a bacon lover's dream and reflects the flavors of America's greatest curemasters. Each bacon variety pack provides the chance to taste the difference between curing styles as well as different breeds of pig. This package changes frequently, so be sure to check back and try them all. Bacon is also available individually by calling us at (718) 389-0985.

Your package will include one pack each from these fine curemasters:

Our Signature Bacon, Trimble, MO:
Our bacon comes from our Heritage pigs– Berkshire, Red Wattle, Tamworth, Gloucestershire Old Spot, Large Black, Mulefoot and Duroc– and is cured by Paradise Locker Meats in Trimble, Missouri using their award winning maple sugar cure. This family recipe creates some of the best bacon we've ever tried and is great for all the recipes you already love.

S. Wallace Edwards & Sons Smoked Berkshire Bacon, Surry, VA:
S. Wallace Edwards & Sons, Inc. is a third generation curing business. Salt and sugar cured and then hickory smoked for 18 hours, Edwards produces a bacon that is second to none, while supporting small family farms through Heritage Foods USA.

Benton's Hickory Smoked Country Bacon, Madisonville, TN:
In a small wooden shack in Tennessee, curemaster Allan Benton painstakingly smokes his bacon in a time-honored Southern tradition using an old-fashioned wood stove. This is a strong bacon that is not to be taken lightly.

Broadbent Smoked Bacon, Kuttawa, KY:
Broadbent old-fashioned country smoked bacon has been made the same way for the last 100 years. Every slab is hand rubbed with dry cure ingredients, then slow smoked for an unforgettable flavor that has been loved for generations. Their country bacon is salt cured and will be salty in nature.

Pepper-Crusted Bacon, Trimble, MO:
Our signature bacon, with pepper. This is a perfect pick for those who like a little spice in their life.

Fantasma's Finest Jowl Bacon, Trimble, MO:
Jowl bacon is exactly like other bacon, but some say even more delicious because it comes from the jowl rather than the belly. The Fantasma family at Paradise Locker Meats uses their maple sugar cure on our heritage jowls for outstanding results.

BpkBpkLuxury Box
Nov 1, 2016, 01:10 PM

OMG

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Nov 1, 2016, 08:42 PM

I love both ham and bacon. I actually had ham for lunch and dinner yesterday. But for me, they're very different meats from the same animal. And sausage is great also. Basically, pigs are just awesome food.

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Nov 1, 2016, 10:55 PM

Lol, I'm ready to eat this thread! :blushing:

BpkBpkLuxury Box
Nov 2, 2016, 12:31 AM

"Boik14 wrote:

Lol, I'm ready to eat this thread! :blushing:

That's because... Bacon Is The Only.

Claymore95Claymore95Supporter
Nov 2, 2016, 10:33 AM

"Bpk wrote:

OMG

That stuff's amazing. Have it almost all the time on burgers when I make them.

Claymore95Claymore95Supporter
Nov 2, 2016, 10:39 AM

"CRAZYFACE wrote:

Sorry guys you have no idea about bacon. The stuff which you laughingly refer to as "bacon" as the type we would use for covering things with.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=back+bacon+rashers&rlz=1C1AOHY_enGB708GB708&espv=2&biw=800&bih=481&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi85dmprYfQAhUkDsAKHQuTDwoQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=SWkiGudvoaYsuM%3A

This is bacon. :lol:

That's back bacon, whereas what I think gets called bacon in the US is what we would call streaky bacon here.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=streaky+bacon&biw=1600&bih=770&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiou5_npYrQAhWEAsAKHRHwAb8Q_AUIBigB

It's all bacon though, and it's all good...no matter what it gets called wherever. :up:

BpkBpkLuxury Box
Nov 2, 2016, 12:01 PM

"Claymore95 wrote:

That's back bacon, whereas what I think gets called bacon in the US is what we would call streaky bacon here.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=streaky+bacon&biw=1600&bih=770&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiou5_npYrQAhWEAsAKHRHwAb8Q_AUIBigB

It's all bacon though, and it's all good...no matter what it gets called wherever. :up:

Made me think of Will Ferrell in Old School.

BpkBpkLuxury Box
Dec 1, 2016, 10:14 PM

I am starving for some bacon, man.

Bacon chopped up and added to anything would be perfect right now.

And if you've never tried bacon on a pizza, TRY IT.

BpkBpkLuxury Box
Dec 2, 2016, 11:51 AM

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Dec 2, 2016, 04:06 PM

BTW I finally tried that duck bacon and I disagree with the characterization that it is "not bacon" or something more akin to turkey bacon. While my all-time favorites have been great thick slices of pork bacon, duck bacon was close and better than most regular pork bacon you see in the grocery. And the duck fat that came off of that bacon while cooking was heavenly. The description that came to mind was food of the gods.

Ronnie BassRonnie BassLuxury Box
Dec 2, 2016, 04:17 PM

I had pork belly at a Portuguese restaurant the other night, the only way I can describe it is it's the filet mignon of bacon.

It was better than sex.

MrtreeMrtreeForum Veteran
Dec 2, 2016, 04:24 PM

"Ronnie Bass wrote:

I had pork belly at a Portuguese restaurant the other night, the only way I can describe it is it's the filet mignon of bacon.

It was better than sex.

Pork belly done right is pure magic.

Ronnie BassRonnie BassLuxury Box
Dec 2, 2016, 04:30 PM

"Mrtree wrote:

Pork belly done right is pure magic.

It was, o couldn't fucking believe how good it was.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Dec 2, 2016, 08:21 PM

"Bpk wrote:

I am starving for some bacon, man.

Bacon chopped up and added to anything would be perfect right now.

And if you've never tried bacon on a pizza, TRY IT.

Unless someone is a vegetarian, how could you not try bacon on pizza??? Its just down the pecking order from pepperroni! Or is that just me, lol.

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Dec 2, 2016, 08:57 PM

I once gave this vegetarian I knew one of those car air fresheners with bacon scent. I told her that it just might be the "cure" for her vegetarianism. LOL