1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The back end of the defense

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by pumpdogs, Dec 21, 2009.

1. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    The back end of the defense is a major problem.I know we are starting 2 rookies corners but you would think they would be getting better by now.
    I have never seen in all my years of watchng the phins so many big plays given up.Vince young was just playing pitch and catch on his 3 td tosses making it look way to easy.
    The safeties always seem to be not in the picture or 3 steps behind.Is it the scheme or personel?

2. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    With Renaldo Hill in place of Gibril Wilson, this team is 10-4 right now. I truly believe this

Gibril Wilson is never anywhere to be found on the deep ball. EVER.

And I've expressed this before, but more and more every week I have serious doubts about Sean Smith being a successful CB in this league. I hope I'm wrong.

But in defense of Smith and Davis, they almost never have any help over the top. It's amazing. I never see any safety help

3. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I agree with you there. They need more help in the safety area. Chris Clemons anyone??

Crappy Tipper likes this.
  4. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    While I didn't get to see this, I have to respectfully disagree with that comment.

I saw maybe the first half of the game, and I remember seeing Gibril Wilson being the only one with the speed to chase down, and catch a receiver that broke past everyone else.

Yes he's caused some issues, but in the last few weeks he has been much better.

Either way, I see other reasons as to why we're not 10-4 like you said, and they most certainly don't rely on one single player.

5. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Having the speed to chase down a receiver and playing the pass well enough that he doesn't catch the ball in the first place are two completely different things. I know which I would prefer, though.

eric, krypto and MikeHoncho like this.
  6. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Ask the steelers if that one player changes that defence.
    Ireland dropped the ball on this signing because now we have 2 strong safeties that can tackle but not cover.Every game we have given up at least 1 big play a game and that is why we our 7-7.
    Justin gage toasted us for 2 scores wait until andre johnson comes too town next week.

7. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    You want to improve this defense dramatically

trade up and get Eric Berry and move Davis to strong safety with Will Allen taking over for Davis at corner back

Have Smith and Jones fight over the other starting cornerback position

8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Gibril Wilson is a strong safety. He is truly lost when it comes to giving help over the top. The sad part is that, it doesn't seem as if he'll improve when he calls out his teammates after a play that was clearly his fault.

9. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Exactly!

so big deal. He lets a guy catch a 45 yard pass and chases him down to make a tackle completing a 60 yard play.

A good safety is there to break these passes up.

I'm not saying break every pass up, but my god, we give up more deep passes than any Miami team I've ever watched.

It makes me miss those bend but don't break defenses that gave up a ton of yards but at least prevented these long TDs. We don't bend at all. We go from straight to break with no bend in between and the Safeties are primarily to blame for this. First and foremost being Gibril Wilson.

10. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

I’m not sure if it’s the scheme or the personnel either. I do know however, when both safeties are the two top tacklers on a team, it’s not a good sign. Dan Fouts commented during the Titan game that he had never heard of such a thing.

I think the real problem is a bit a closer to the line of scrimmage.

11. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I personally think it's the ILBs at least one has to be replaced so that we're a stronger run stopping unit. I think we stand a solid chance against Houston because of their lack of a significant running game.

12. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    How do you know he was calling anyone out on any such occasion? Can you read lips or do you have a transcript of these discussions? Perhaps he is just venting about the play in general not what a teammate did or did not to.

13. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    what we need to fix the defense is LBs, LBs, LBs ... our ILBs are woeful, and our OLBs are not as good as they are projected to be ..... JT and JP while playing valiantly at times, are not the answer going into next season.

better ILB play covers the TE and keeps us from getting killed over the middle, OLB puts consistent pressure on the QB, and can seal the corner against the run and screens. Our current lot is not doing this .....

Smith does need some serious work .... and we do need a FS .... but those are less important than LBs, LBs, LBs .....

smahtaz and mroz like this.
  14. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I will not argue we need lbs but that is not the reason we lost this game.The corners and safeties gave up the big plays not the lbs.

15. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area

the fact that Chris Clemons has not made ot on the field as a full time starter ahead of Wilson says a lot about where he is right now. Could be that they are grooming him for next season...

16. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    as I have said before... made the reason the safeties are not getting deep is because they are asked to support the run. "I feel" the coaching staff knows the ILB's are the weakness of the team and the use the safeties to make up for it.

The risk is that you leave two rookie CB hanging in the wind. :no:

17. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I agree that Berry would imporve the defense because the guy is a ball hawk. However, Davis is a CB not a SS. For that matter, I believe Berry is a SS himself. We already have 2 SS starting for us. We need a FS in the worst way.