1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 2010/2011 MLB Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Ray Finkle, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
  2. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    RF, read the presser I posted it is in there, also Balt offered 4/48.....he held out literally for top dollar....2 more million...

3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I mean why even bother they had to know they werent getting him on a 2 year deal....I give Martinex credit in that he was pretty clear in what he wanted, but realistic...unlike Jeter who says he wants 6 freaking years!!

4. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Thats just it....top dollar was White Sox with 3yr $48M.....

5. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Giants Re-Sign Aubrey Huff

By Tim Dierkes [November 23 at 10:50am CST]
    The Giants re-signed first baseman Aubrey Huff to a two-year, $22MM deal today. The contract includes a club option for 2013. Huff, 34 next month, hit .290/.385/.506 in 668 plate appearances for the World Champion Giants in a resurgent season.
    The Giants inked Huff to a one-year, $3MM deal in January of this year, which turned out to be one of that offseason's top bargains. Given Huff's age, defensive abilities, and struggles in 2009, plus the robust free agent market for first basemen, the new commitment comes with plenty of risk at $11MM per year. Huff hired Ed Hayes as his agent a few weeks ago, clearly a smart move.
    Four of five MLBTR writers polled on November 10th predicted Huff would re-sign with the Giants.
    Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports was first to report Huff's agreement today.

6. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I really have no fear or worries about Captain, Mo, or Andy even.....

Yanks FO is playing it perfectly for now.....Mo will be 2yr deal @ $15M each....Jeter will be 4yr deal (some how 4th worked in) @$15M (or closer to that then $20M)....and Andy will come back for 1 yr ($8M to 12M range).

Expected Rotation:

1) CC
    2) Hughes
    3) C. Lee
    4) AJ give him confidence and feed against other 4's
    5) Andy with lots of days off and rest etc

7. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Rivera I think will get between 17-20 million, he has all the bargining position, the Yankees have none.....they will cave on Jeter too and give him 4 years...I dont go a day over 3 for him...

8. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    It's part of the negotiating process. You don't offer your best deal so you start with a figure you know he must likely won't accept and work from there. If the Sox started with a 3 or 4 year offer Martinez could then request 5 or 6 years to try and get to the middle.

And I don't blame Martinez or anyone else for going for the top dollar. It's their job, they work hard for it, they earned it. Good for him, I wish him the best except when he plays the Sox.

9. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    Yanks playing Hardball with Jeter-

I love it!

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5843151&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Also per KenDavidoff: Andy Pettitte is leaning toward a 2011 return to the #Yankees, according to an industry source.

10. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Nicest thing Vazquez could have done....I was thinking of posting this in Yanks thread, but frankly I dont want this bum's name to be mentioned ever again within spitting distance of that team ever again!

11. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Yeah, Cashman has big ones....he is playing it right so far...but close to the line...do not want to see him cross it by getting to cocky.

12. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    BREAKING NEWS:

www.espn.com

13. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
  14. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Dodgers have reached a deal with free agent Jon Garland.

No word yet on the length or total value of the deal. Many thought the Dodgers would be handcuffed this winter by the McCourts' divorce, but they locked up Ted Lilly soon after the end of the season and have now made an aggressive move for one of the top third tier starters on the market. Garland posted a 3.47 ERA and 1.32 WHIP in 33 starts this past year with a career-high 6.12 K/9. He will serve as Los Angeles' fourth or fifth starter next season.

http://twitter.com/dylanohernandez/status/8251994305208320

15. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Damn there goes one of my dreams where the Sox trade Matsuzaka for Ethier or Kemp. Oh well here's hoping for the next one of Matsuzaka for Choo & Masterson.

finyank13 likes this.
  16. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    The contract between the Marlins and Javier Vazquez is worth $7 million and includes a full no-trade clause, according to FoxSports.com's Ken Rosenthal. Physical is scheduled to finalize.

17. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    If Vazquez is healthy I like the deal for the Marlins. Obviously Vazquez has shown he can pitch in the NL and will fare well in that big ball park at home. If he pitches well the Marlins could get a nice pick for him if/when he leaves the following year or if the team is out of the playoff race they could 'hopefully' trade him although that NTC will make it tough as is his market will be most likely limited to NL teams.

But like I always say there's never anything wrong with a 1 year deal, especially for a pitcher.

18. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

I like L.A.'s starting pitching staff with Kershaw and Billingsley on the front end. Kuroda, Lilly and Garland make up a strong back end rotation imo. Their bullpen is awful right now and will have to rely on who they alreayd have, as well as hoping that someone comes out of spring training.

They are in desperate need of a big bat in their lineup too. Ethier and Kemp are good, but they perform way better when they aren't being asked to carry the team offensively. I am not sure who they can get though. Maybe Adam Dunn? I love Loney's glove at first base, but he isn't turning into the John Olerud type batter I thought he would. Maybe you ship Loney off with a prospect to get a solid relief pitcher, stick Adma Dunn at first and make Russell Martin your new left fielder. Of course, that leaves a hole behind the plate, but one could argue that that was happening with Martin being there anyways.

19. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Do the Dodgers have the money to sign someone like Adam Dunn right now with the divorce going on?

Also I think it's more likely the Dodgers non-tender Russell Martin who's been regressing for the past 3 years now. Him on the open market right now would probably get a minor league deal with an invite to ST. So sticking him in LF would be a big mistake. You could live with a strong defensive catcher that's a light hitter but not a corner OFer.

20. Samphin

I seriously doubt that Martin would only garner a a minor league deal if non-tendered. I tend to agree with you about having a defensive minded catcher with a light bat vs. a light hitting left fielder, but I am not sure what options L.A. has. I suppose, if all else fails, you stick with Martin for another year and look for a better option on the trade market. As of right now, it looks like Jay Gibbons is their best bet for left field...which is awful.

As for the money to get Adam Dunn, its a valid concern as well. I was surprised they spent the money they did to get Garland, Lilly and Kuroda. I am not sure if that is an indicator that they have more money to play with...or if they are now tapped out. From the osund of things, Colletti isn't done. He has expressed a need to sign another bat. There has also been talk of moving Casey Blake back to left field, but then you have a whole at third base and you traded your best prospect in Blake DeWitt to fill that hole.

Basically, outside of the starting rotation and center/left field and shortstop, the Dodgers have a ton of question marks. A solid power hitting bat somewhere in the lineup would cure a lot of ills though. For my sake, I hope they do it, but I am not optimistic.

21. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Juan Uribe's new three-year deal with the Dodgers will be worth $21 million.

22. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Well the Dodgers just signed Juan Uribe for 3 years 21 million so that's a start no?

Anyway I can't see how Martin doesn't get non-tendered. He made 5 million last year and there's no way the Dodgers (or any team for that matter) would give him that much coming off of 2 years on the decline and a bad injury last year. Due to how bad teams need catching perhaps he'd get a MLB deal but I can't see him getting much money. Either way putting him in the OF would be a mistake.

I just wish they were able to sell or put more money into the team. It's good for baseball when a team like the Dodgers are good.

23. Samphin

Juan Uribe doesn't do a whole lot for me in terms of feeling secure about the second bae position. He is cashing in on a weak free agent class and winning a second ring. But still, it answers a couple of questions with his signing. He plays second, Casey Blake most likely stays at third and James Loney stays at first. They just have to figure out their catching situation, and left field and their starting lineup is probably set. The bullpen and bench need work, but I assume a combo of minor leaguers and veteran minimum free agents will fill out the majority of those places.

1B: James Loney
    2B: Juan Uribe
    SS: Rafael Furcal
    3B: Casey Blake
    C: ??? (most likely Russell Martin)
    LF: ??? (Xavier Paul/Jay Gibbons)
    CF: Matt Kemp
    RF: Andre Ethier
    SP: Clayton Kershaw
    SP: Chad Billingsley
    SP: Hiroki Kuroda
    SP: Ted Lilly
    SP: Jon Garland

Not exactly murderer's row, but a very good starting pitching lineup and at least a few quality bats in that lineup. Defensively they are pretty good. They need a power source though. Right now, I would be surprised to see anyone of the starters break 100 RBI unles Kemp finally puts it all together.

24. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    that and you have a curse as a manager.....love the guy but....

25. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    If the pitching is there that line up is good enough to win the NL West as none of the other teams' line ups as strong either. It all comes down to the pitching. I can't see how San Diego or Arizona will be good this year, you just have to figure out a way to beat out the Giants and Rockies.

26. Samphin

I am willing to give Mattingley a chance. As long as he doesn't do the double trip to the mound snafu agian or any other boneheaded type moves, I will be fine with it. I haven't looked, but I assume the same coaching staff is returning, so he will have people like Larry Bowa to lean on for advice in certain situations. I really don't think the team is going to make or break because of Donnie Baseball.

They need to stay healthy and, from the looks of things, hope for a ocuple of career years from a couple of folks in order to get back to the promised land. Not exactly a recipe for success with your new manager.

The more I look into them though, I really think that Martin will be gone, along with Theriot. Furcal and Blake are in their last guaranteed year so I expect their numbers to com off the books. Loney is being dnagled out there are trade bait, but I honestly don't know if they can get a decent return for him. It might be best to keep the defensive minded 26 year old as opposed to getting a bullpen arm.

The main problem of course, is that the minor leagues are fairly dry outside of a couple of okay prospects. After shipping off solid major leaguers for years (Cody Ross, Shane Victorino, Jayson Werth, etc.) or promoting them to the main roster (Martin, Loney, Kemp), they haven't really got much else right now. Not unles sJamie Hoffmann or Xavier Paul pan out as outfielders.

27. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    According to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Rangers have signed catcher Yorvit Torrealba to a two-year contract.

28. Samphin

Good signing if it comes cheap. He was one of the options I was hoping the Dodgers would explore.

29. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    According to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram the Rangers have signed catcher Yorvit Torrealba to a two-year, $6.25 million contract.

Not a bad gamble.

30. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    The Mets are close to a deal with Chris Young, who would have fit in perfectly with their 2009 team. CitiField will definitely help him out and IF he can stay healthy it's a good move. Hopefully it's just a 1 year deal, low salary.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  31. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    So he signs for under 10 million, and Lee wants 20 plus....

Rockies Reach Agreement With Jorge De La Rosa

By Tim Dierkes [November 30 at 8:12am CST]
    The free agent market for starting pitching continues to thin out quickly, as lefty Jorge de la Rosa has reached an agreement to re-sign with the Rockies. De La Rosa agreed to a three-year, $32MM deal. The pitcher maintained flexibility by securing a player option on the third year, while the Rockies added a fourth year club option at $11MM. Today is a huge day for the Colorado franchise, as they're also nearing a six-year extension with shortstop Troy Tulowitzki. Both players are represented by TWC Sports.

32. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I like what the Dodgers are doing, they have a good core of young players, and experience clutch veteran now, a solid starting pitching staff, top 5 closer.....Unlike that idoit Torre, Mattingly is a baseball mind, he isnt gointg to blow up the bullpens arms, he holds players accountable....I love the guy, being a Yankee fan, he just has bad luck for some reason...there wasnt one person I wanted to see more than Mattingly besides Marino win a championship, and they do it the year after he retires...if he didnt get all those injuries the guy would have went in the HOF on roller skates...he played 1st base with a right handed glove.....very rare this days....

33. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Today is the deadline for those offered arbitration to accept or decline. Some already have done so (guys like Trevor Hoffman) and others have already signed free agent deals, mooting the issue (Victor Martinez). That leaves 12 type-A free agents and 11 type-B free agents who need to make up their minds before midnight.

The type As: Grant Balfour, Adrian Beltre, Carl Crawford, Scott Downs, Adam Dunn, Frank Francisco, Jason Frasor, Paul Konerko, Cliff Lee, Carl Pavano, Rafael Soriano and Jayson Werth.
    The type-Bs: Randy Choate, Jesse Crain, Pedro Feliciano, Brad Hawpe, Aaron Heilman, Orlando Hudson, Adam LaRoche, Felipe Lopez, Miguel Olivo, J.J. Putz and Chad Qualls.

34. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    That Tulo deal makes zero sense.

By the way congrats to the Colorado Rockies for being the only team not named the Yankees for giving out 3 seperate contracts over 100 million dollars.

35. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    but but the Yankees are the only team in baseball that do such a thing...

36. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Exactly. You won't hear anyone screaming about the Rockies spending money.

finyank13 likes this.
  37. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
  38. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
  39. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Hell nah! :lol:

[​IMG]

40. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    According to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes, the Giants have agreed to a one-year, $6.5 million contract with veteran infielder Miguel Tejada.

Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the Yankees may be willing to go up to $51 million for Derek Jeter or add a fourth year option.

According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports, free agent first baseman Adam Dunn is seeking a four-year contract worth $60 million.

All but two eligible FA's decline arbitration offers -Francisco, Frasor to remain with Rangers, Blue Jays in 2011