That was ugly - 49er game

28 replies

FinatikFinatikStaffOP
Dec 5, 2022, 12:26 PM

Not sure what happened after the initial 1st play. People were open all over the field but Tua was way off. His worse game yet. Not sure if he was in his own head because Armstead was out or the vaulted # 1 defense. When he did make throws people dropped the ball. Overall no a good showing.

Was this a wake up call they needed? Were they thinking they were all that? OR maybe it was one bad game. How the entire team responds will show what type of character this team has or doesn't have.

Lots of people will tell you what they think about you and what you shouldn't and should do. Not everyone's thoughts are worth consideration. Don't take criticism from anyone who you wouldn't also go to for advice.

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Dec 5, 2022, 12:43 PM

I'm hoping his ankle was jacked not allowing him to plant foot correctly.

Lord help us.

FinatikFinatikStaff
Dec 5, 2022, 01:52 PM

He looked like he was rushing. I kept saying calm down. Slow down the game but I think all the hype just got into his head. I hope it's a learning experience that he moves past.

Lots of people will tell you what they think about you and what you shouldn't and should do. Not everyone's thoughts are worth consideration. Don't take criticism from anyone who you wouldn't also go to for advice.

KeyFinKeyFinForum Veteran
Dec 5, 2022, 02:42 PM

"Finatik wrote:

He looked like he was rushing. I kept saying calm down. Slow down the game but I think all the hype just got into his head. I hope it's a learning experience that he moves past.

I thought so too, it felt like he wasn't in his typical rhythm out there. I'm sure the game plan was to get the ball out extra fast with two backup tackles starting, but he just never seemed to get comfortable out there except for a handful of plays.

The irony was that his 1st pass was perfect for a long TD pass. His deep strike to Tyreek was perfect as well in the 2nd half. But outside a handful of other throws, he was way off (for him) the entire day. I didn't even know what to think when he missed that screen pass that was only 6-8 feet away....it was so not like the Tua we've come to know this season.

I hate to even think this because I don't believe it's true, but I made a good friend on a cruise ship a few weeks ago. He's a lifetime Cowboys fan and he insists that the NFL has become the same thing as WWE wrestling. Great entertainment value, but ultimately the outcomes are staged to create interest and outrage throughout the league. He thought that's why every year a lousy team makes a deep playoff run, why top teams lose to horrible opponents, etc.

Again, I don't believe it...but I can't explain how that possibly could have been Tua's best yesterday. Just bizarre.

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

Dec 5, 2022, 03:21 PM

Not a good look for anyone besides Hill and maybe Phillips.

Tua looked off.
A lot of throws were either short by 3 feet or high by 3 feet. Very uncharacteristic from what we have seen this season. Definitely a bad game, he’ll bounce back.

Check down game continues to be the way to destroy our defense.
Everything is wide open underneath. And our players are terrible at coming up and making the first tackle.

As long as the opposing team has a couple playmakers/tackle breakers, they are going to eat all game long.

FinatikFinatikStaff
Dec 5, 2022, 03:53 PM

I agree that tackling has been poor - even from the beginning of the year. How does that get fixed?

Lots of people will tell you what they think about you and what you shouldn't and should do. Not everyone's thoughts are worth consideration. Don't take criticism from anyone who you wouldn't also go to for advice.

FIFishheadForum Veteran
Dec 5, 2022, 04:15 PM

"Finatik wrote:

I agree that tackling has been poor - even from the beginning of the year. How does that get fixed?

For starters, upgrade the LB corps.

FinatikFinatikStaff
Dec 5, 2022, 05:29 PM

"Fishhead wrote:

For starters, upgrade the LB corps.

Maybe. It isn't just one group or the other. Before it was explained away as not having contact during the pre-season. You can't use that excuse anymore. It's like they need to have someone come in a teach fundamentals on how to breakdown and proper technique.

Lots of people will tell you what they think about you and what you shouldn't and should do. Not everyone's thoughts are worth consideration. Don't take criticism from anyone who you wouldn't also go to for advice.

The_Dark_KnightThe_Dark_KnightForum Veteran
Dec 5, 2022, 07:28 PM

"Finatik wrote:

I agree that tackling has been poor - even from the beginning of the year. How does that get fixed?

Get back to pads and tackling during training camp…wanna make the team? Make the tackle!

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Dec 6, 2022, 07:45 AM

"KeyFin wrote:

I thought so too, it felt like he wasn't in his typical rhythm out there. I'm sure the game plan was to get the ball out extra fast with two backup tackles starting, but he just never seemed to get comfortable out there except for a handful of plays.

The irony was that his 1st pass was perfect for a long TD pass. His deep strike to Tyreek was perfect as well in the 2nd half. But outside a handful of other throws, he was way off (for him) the entire day. I didn't even know what to think when he missed that screen pass that was only 6-8 feet away....it was so not like the Tua we've come to know this season.

I hate to even think this because I don't believe it's true, but I made a good friend on a cruise ship a few weeks ago. He's a lifetime Cowboys fan and he insists that the NFL has become the same thing as WWE wrestling. Great entertainment value, but ultimately the outcomes are staged to create interest and outrage throughout the league. He thought that's why every year a lousy team makes a deep playoff run, why top teams lose to horrible opponents, etc.

Again, I don't believe it...but I can't explain how that possibly could have been Tua's best yesterday. Just bizarre.

I've been saying for years that it's all scripted like WWE. Starting in 2001, the Patriots just happen to win it all. To me it's one of the only explanations for the shitty refereeing that we see week in and week out.

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Dec 6, 2022, 10:10 AM

"Pennington's Limp Arm wrote:

Not a good look for anyone besides Hill and maybe Phillips.

Tua looked off.
A lot of throws were either short by 3 feet or high by 3 feet. Very uncharacteristic from what we have seen this season. Definitely a bad game, he’ll bounce back.

Check down game continues to be the way to destroy our defense.
Everything is wide open underneath. And our players are terrible at coming up and making the first tackle.

As long as the opposing team has a couple playmakers/tackle breakers, they are going to eat all game long.

Chargers run a ton of those plays.

Lord help us.

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Dec 6, 2022, 10:12 AM

"Finatik wrote:

Maybe. It isn't just one group or the other. Before it was explained away as not having contact during the pre-season. You can't use that excuse anymore. It's like they need to have someone come in a teach fundamentals on how to breakdown and proper technique.

I've seen them so many times break down in tackle form, wait for the receiver to catch the ball and then go try and talk them... Just go tackle them!

Lord help us.

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Dec 6, 2022, 10:19 AM

Was Tua playing scared? Ankle injury from game before? Trying way too hard to make coach look good against his former team and mentor?

I watched interview and Tua took some credit for the bad play, but was very sure to point out the receivers didn't do what they were expected to do on some plays.

Lord help us.

BIBigBadBrettForum Veteran
Dec 6, 2022, 02:21 PM

"dolphin25 wrote:

I've seen them so many times break down in tackle form, wait for the receiver to catch the ball and then go try and talk them... Just go tackle them!

Exactly. With the trend of bringing back former players to coach, we should call ZT to teach these guys how to tackle.

FIFishheadForum Veteran
Dec 6, 2022, 02:38 PM

"Finatik wrote:

Maybe. It isn't just one group or the other. Before it was explained away as not having contact during the pre-season. You can't use that excuse anymore. It's like they need to have someone come in a teach fundamentals on how to breakdown and proper technique.

The LBs make the majority of tackles; if you draft/sign better LBs (who can tackle), you improve the defense overall. The other main tacklers, our (starting) safeties, aren’t subpar in this category.

SpringveldtSpringveldtForum Veteran
Dec 6, 2022, 05:00 PM

I’ve been watching some of the All-22 breakdowns on YouTube and it makes me even more confident in this offence. Tua left so many points on that field.

Other things I noted…
On the Sherfield touchdown Waddle makes up about 6 yard on him in 50 yards and runs past nearly all the 49ers defenders. Ridiculous speed.

The first 49ers touchdown in blatant pass interference. Ayiuk flat out blocks Howard from the get go and never let’s go of him until the receiver is nearly in the end zone.

The holding call on Hunt that took away the big Mostert run that would have had us down to the 15 is every bit as bad as I thought. Horrendous call that change the game momentum as Tua throws an interception soon after when Wilson falls down.

The 2nd interception might be the worse pass Tua had thrown all season.

Our LB’s are bad. We need new ones.

CBcbradForum Veteran
Dec 6, 2022, 05:10 PM

"Springveldt wrote:

I’ve been watching some of the All-22 breakdowns on YouTube and it makes me even more confident in this offence. Tua left so many points on that field.

Yeah no defense can stop our WRs. The combination of route running + speed by 2 WRs just can't be defended. And that's here to stay for many years. McDaniel + Hill/Waddle + normal Tua is a deadly combination. Very impressed at the massive turnaround in just one year.

firedanfiredanForum Veteran
Dec 6, 2022, 06:47 PM

No good reason for a bad game but they do happen. For me it is tough to watch a team under perform on both sides of the ball with an early lead and losing to an unproven back up QB. I've seen this movie before,to many times.

mlb1399mlb1399Forum Veteran
Dec 6, 2022, 07:42 PM

Time to move on. Hopefully McDaniel learned some things and can coach it up. The turnaround has been remarkable so I’m gonna continue to trust him. I had this and Buf as losses anyways. So if we take care of business, we’re still 12-5 and that’s a great start.

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Dec 7, 2022, 10:14 AM

"mlb1399 wrote:

Time to move on. Hopefully McDaniel learned some things and can coach it up. The turnaround has been remarkable so I’m gonna continue to trust him. I had this and Buf as losses anyways. So if we take care of business, we’re still 12-5 and that’s a great start.

Big fan of McDaniel he is a winner

Lord help us.

DolPhinPhan7DolPhinPhan7Forum Veteran
Dec 7, 2022, 01:37 PM

With all the shit in that game, we're looking at it differently if two calls aren't over-turned in that drive with 3 minutes left.

SpringveldtSpringveldtForum Veteran
Dec 8, 2022, 04:46 AM

OK, who has replaced Chris Simms with this new guy?

StrikingStrikingForum Veteran
Dec 8, 2022, 09:43 AM

Simms hates our fan base because of how we discuss Tua. And he's not a hater. That might be two lies, so what's the truth?

Phin McCoolPhin McCoolForum Veteran
Dec 9, 2022, 12:37 PM

"DolPhinPhan7 wrote:

With all the **** in that game, we're looking at it differently if two calls aren't over-turned in that drive with 3 minutes left.

To be fair, they were both correctly overturned. That was down to some smart red flagging by Shanahan and his booth team.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

The_Dark_KnightThe_Dark_KnightForum Veteran
Dec 9, 2022, 07:47 PM

"Phin McCool wrote:

To be fair, they were both correctly overturned. That was down to some smart red flagging by Shanahan and his booth team.

Sadly and objectively I have to agree, though the Gisecki drop was much more obvious that the other. That was some microscopic hair splitting overturning that one.

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”