1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texans gameplan for the Wildcat

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SkapePhin, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Well, if Sparano is as good as he's shown so far, he'll come up with another wrinkle or two that will befuddle them just long enough for Brown, Williams, CP or whoever to get a few yards..what it does, mostly is keep the opposing D concerned more about the Wildcat and less about the base offense...

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    If they "gameplan" anything like the Chargers said they did then they'll be in for a long one.

In all seriousness though, I think they can stop the 'Wildcat' but it will be difficult. IMHO, for them to stop it, they will have to have their four down linemen hold up the offensive linemen while the Linebackers come in to make a play through the gaps opened up by the defensive linemen. On the first couple plays against San Diego, I believe that the three down linemen held up well against the offensive linemen which gave an opening for Matt Wilhelm to make the play. That was against San Diego's 34 defense which has the OLB's wider. What I wonder is how it fairs for the 43 'backers because they're more inside. I would think that they have to shoot through the gaps to make a play on this unless the defensive linemen makes a play of his own. The key thing for them to stop it is containing Ricky Williams on the sweep play imo. If Ricky Williams has successful sweep plays coming out of the slot (in motion), then it will be difficult for them to stop it because it opens it up for Ronnie Brown. One thing that could give them major problems is if they try to over-pursue the play because they could get burned. The Texans would have to execute very well defensively for them to stop the run.

Against the 43 defense, I would think that the offensive linemen would pull one way while the ball-carrier would go the opposite way. With the linemen pulling to the right for example, it would free Ronnie Brown up going to the left because he would gain some yards, maybe not a long run but some yards and he would be likely facing Defensive Backs. Remember, Ronnie doesn't need these long gains to make this successful. In the last game against San Diego, his longest run was 13 yards.

HugeFinFan likes this.
  3. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Like Larry says I hope they really prepare for Pennington catching the ball because personally I think its unlikely to happen.

It would mean they would have to assign a db to cover him and that will leave someone else open .

The more they prepare for the Wildcat the less time they will spend in preparing for our base offense.

gafinfan and azfinfanmang like this.
  4. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

While watching last weeks game, did anybody else get the feeling that by running the exact same Ronnie-fake then Draw play over and over, they were indeed almost setting something special of for this week and following weeks?
    Its almost like a very "Twisted" Play action or Statue of Liberty just waiting to happen. Show them the exact same thing over and over and over till they start stopping it, then SHAKE IT UP.

Brown42000 and alen1 like this.
  5. Duss

Duss Season Ticket Holder

Dec 9, 2007
    The next plan should be to lineup in the wildcat and then audible out of it

6. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    The only time I saw it stopped was when one of the Chargers safeties timed the snap perfectly and shot the gap before it could close up and tripped Brown up.

7. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

Actually, I did see Wilhelm stop it once or twice..which is what started the entire Soccer Kick flap I guess. I am VERY sure that Wilhelm practiced Spying Ronnie in that set. In which case Wilhelm should get that huge EPIC FAIL sign over his locker..

8. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

It would be great to see them line up in a different personel group all together. Ginn goe sin motion while Ricky takes the snap. Or line the o-line up for the wildcat, but put Chad in the shotgun with Ricky going in motion and Ronnie out deep.

All kinds of small, seemingly inocuous wrinkles can be added to cause havoc for a defense.

How about this. Ronnie is in the shotgun, Ginn is wide right and CHAD is in motion. Think of the mayhem that can ensue with Chad meeting up with Ronnie when the ball is snapped. Defense won't know what ihe heck is going on.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  9. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    Maybe we should change to the wishbone.

10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    First of all Samphin, i have to say....you were HILARIOUS in the game thread against the chargers, you and Sickfan were cracking me up bigtime..you are like a rollercoaster watching your team, i sure can tell your a great fan...anyways,

Texans trying to stop ronnie and the wildcat......LOL

Samphin likes this.
  11. jupiterfin

jupiterfin Mild Irritant

Nov 29, 2007
    Jupiter Florida
    This is great, Kubiak seems nervous...

“I’m not surprised it works because he’s a heck of a football player,” Kubiak said of Brown. “He looks like he’s totally healthy and he’s had some nicks through the past couple of years, but man, he looks really good. Ricky looks really good. It’s a scary thing what it (the "Wildcat") did to New England and San Diego, and now it’s our turn.”

12. Jackson

Jackson Bruce Banner

Mar 24, 2008
    Connecticut/Florida
    Does Anyone think we would/could run the package sans Pennington? Why not sub him out for Wilford, hagan, or Camarillo? This way we have a better blocker and a better pass catcher if needed. I guess my question is why do we always have Pennington on the field?

13. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    I may be wrong but I am thinking that there has to be a QB in the game .
    Where is Jim Jensen when you need him.

We dont really have an athletic QB to further enhance the Wildcat.Now if they make Ronnie a QB on the roster........

Jackson likes this.
  14. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    That would get Chad killed if he did what Ricky has been doing.

15. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    I'd like to see the Dolphins do something completely different to throw them off. But firstly, I'd like them to try to just line up in a base offense and be physical. Too much trickery and not enough pure physical presense will equal a loss and Sparano knows this. I could see Ronnie throwing a pass out of a standard running play. With there Defensive Line this game will really hinge on how well our O-line plays. Also, our D has been stout but they need to start coming up with some turnovers.

16. bkbuffet

bkbuffet Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    QB is on the field so the D doesn't know that the play will be the wildcat before they come out of the huddle. They have to adjust on the fly.

How about this for a wrinkle...
    Ginn in motion, HENNE out wide.
    Snap to Ronnie, Ginn motions across then turns to streak down field, he will be at full speed crossing the line and if he can avoid the first bump, should get downfield in a flash...
    Ronnie pitch to Henne, then moves up to block...
    Henne looooong to a hopefully open Ginn! :up:

17. Samphin

No it wouldn't. He goes in motion, gets the ball from Ronnie, turns and throws. How does he get killed?

18. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    If he does what Ricky has been doing (as I said), he'd keep running up around the edge (opening him up to hits). Also, Chad isn't exactly fleet of foot, I imagine if the D saw him in motion, they'd get all ready to lay him out (whether he manages to get the ball off or not).

19. Samphin

But I never said he would do what Ricky did in terms of faking the handoff and going around the edge. He would come ot the line, get the ball from Ronnie and then turn into a traditional QB.

And no, no one would take the cheapshot as you have said. Why? Because they have yet to do so while he is flanked out wide exposed to is and where it would be legal.

If he is in the pocket throwing the ball, a defender taking a potshot on Chad will result in 15 yards. Meaning the Wildcat continues to gain yardage for us. :up:

20. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Weed never killed anyone. Just kidding. This is where having aguy like Antwan Randle El would be great.

Stitches likes this.
  21. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    When did I ever say it'd be a cheap/potshot? I'm saying it'd be a lot easier to get a hit on Chad (IMO) in that formation when he's coming from a motion position (especially if he were to keep running after the snap/exchange.

Flanked out CP poses no threat, and defenses know it, so why take themselves out of the play just to try and hit him? It's completely different with him coming in motion.