1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ted Ginn is the new Chris Chambers

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Sep 22, 2009.

1. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    It was a drop. It hit him in the hands and he didn't catch it, that's the definition of a drop.

2. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    ok, i can agree with that. But Ted still has a chance to prove he can be that guy this season. We'll see how it goes. I know i'd take Ginn over a few guys on that list. Not many, but a few.

3. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Says the guy with a "Ted Ginn Mafia" sig

Most of us just want it understood that he is NOT a number 1 WR, so we can keep looking.

I'm more than willing to give him his props as a possession receiver...

4. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    TO let a crucial pass go through his hands going down the sideline last game that would have been a TD for them. Guess he's not a number one. Moss let Revis pick off a ball to him on the sideline, gurss he's not a number one.
    Posted via Mobile Device

like2god likes this.
  5. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I'm not saying that you should have just accepted it, I'm pointing out that some folks watch a game and say "**** TED GINN!!!!" and others say "We controlled the time of possession, our offense was clicking, but our defense gave up alot of big plays and we had trouble stopping the opposing TE for the second week in a row.". Just because someone, not necessarily you, has watched more football than someone else, that doesn't mean that you (general) know anymore than the next person. Some folks know what to look for and others overreact.

Not at all, as Boomer pointed out, most of Ginn's catches were outs to the sideline or into heavy traffic, there really wasn't much room for him to turn those catches into big gains. That shouldn't be looked upon as he's afraid or a pacifist, that's just the nature of those plays.

So a rookie that didn't show much in Jacksonville gets released and he's now on par with a player who has improved each year that he's been in the league and is now our #1 WR (whether you like it or not)?

A comparable comment would be "John David Booty threw an interception during the Vikings final preseason game and the Vikes cut him. Pennington threw an interception last night, so why is he still here?"

Ginn didn't drop two TD passes, the first one was overthrown.

Why are those plays being exaggerated (2 dropped TD passes)?

resnor likes this.
  6. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    LMAO

THAT'S your response? You realize that is simply a leftover from the Survivor thread, right? Fact is, you really can't judge Ginn's ability as a deep threat until you have a QB out there who can make the intermediate to long throws. That QB is NOT Pennington. Give it a rest. Go back to calling Ronnie a bust.

Actually, that's a better thread title: "Ted Ginn Jr. is the new Ronnie Brown."
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    assuming the game was just that one play sure.

like2god likes this.
  8. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Actually, not that's not. Drops as counted are defined by passes that should have been caught with normal effort. if you're interfered with, you're interfered with. The ball hits his front hand at the top. Not in the bread basket.

9. Dannyg28

Dannyg28 Say hi to the rings

Jan 4, 2008
    Is anyone else finding it ironic that Ginn is being criticized for being a possesion receiver by the same people who believe Devon Bess is better than him? and that those same people probably criticized him from the onset of his career that he would not be able to do anything but run fast?or how about the fact that considering our Quarterback cannot throw past 15 yards its impossible for Ginn,one of the fastest players in the NFl, or anyone else on our team, to be anything but a possession receiver if they want to succeed?

10. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    all very true.

11. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Well I suppose when that's all you have to hold onto, you hold on tight

12. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    And when you can't argue the points I bring up, you complain about my sig. I post alot from my iphone, so changing my sig is a PITA. Get over it.

You blind hatred of Ginn is unnerving and unhealthy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

13. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I'm not of the **** Ted Ginn, or Ginn sucks crowd.......I don't post like that. To me those posts are as useless as the posts where ppl go out of their way and over a cliff to defend someone.

All I have done is state my opinions on him.....what that got me was being told to "watch more football"
    by someone that couldn't have possibly watched more than I. And your first reaction was to defend him for it.....I'm a little baffled by that to be honest..

And Boomer couldn't be more wrong....

Having the game winning TD hit you squarely in the hands, needs no help, it magnifies itself...

14. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    Ginn dropped 3 balls or more last night and yes it caused Miami the game. Espn was all over Ginn today pointing out Ginns lack of concentration catching a ball that hit him in his hands.
    Wasn't it practice last week Ginn dropped a ball and the coach yelled out concentrate on what the hell you are doing ? Does Ginn lack concentration and if so when will he learn it ? I mean it only took him 3 years to learn to run a route, so how many more years to learn to concentrate ? I have a basic question for everyone including the Ginn lovers on the board. If Miami were to trade Ginn right now would they get a first round pick for him ? Be honest because I think they be hard pressed to get a second round for him. I am not suggesting Miami will or should trade Ginn as we have too much invested in him and we could never comp the investment.

15. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

If it had ever cost my team somehow I would certainly have *****ed about it.

I don;t think ginn was 'sacred' necessarily last night, but he is just not a naturally physical player and it shows when push comes to shove etc.

His routes have gotten much better though.

If we could add a bigger, more "#1WR" body type to this offense and let Ginn play a role that suits his style of play instead of throwing him jump balls in the endzone on hail mary's, we would amazing.

I am actually more surprised that he didn;t make a Jets-like fingertip catch on the earlier 'back of the endzone' pass he almost got. That's his type of ball.

16. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    for who?.....I feel fine, you're the one getting bent over nothing.

Bring up some actual points and we'll debate it...until then enjoy being part of the mafia or whatever it is...lol

17. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I've brought up points. How about you address the lack of a QB on the field who can throw the intermediate to long pass? Do you or don't you think that affects Ginn's playmaking ability that he supposedly lacks? Or how about talking about why you expect a 5'10" receiver who isn't a jumper, and hasn't had many chances at the NFL level to make a catch in that situation, to make the catch like a 6'4" receiver?
    Posted via Mobile Device

jdang307 likes this.
  18. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    No one is basing their criticisms on him being a possession receiver, we're pointing it out to those of you holding your breaths until he "breaks out" as a true number one.....

And don't blame Penny for him being a possession WR.......he is what he is

19. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Well you didn't have to complain about it with Marvin because the ball usually hits Colts WR in stride. Yeah I know, Peyton one of the best ever. Of the passes last night, how many hit our WR in stride? How many quick outs were floated in the air? When Penny has the time, and the lane, he can deliver a pretty decent short and intermediate pass, not great, but decent. But if it's something that requires a quick throw, or similar, it's usually not pretty.

20. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Explain to me how Pennington's physical limitations don't limit Ginn? Sure, Pennington's limitations have made Ginn a better route runner, but they also keep Pennington from hitting Ginn when he's behind the defense 30 yards downfield. Manning, Brady, Cutler, Ryan, Rivers, even Favre are hitting Ginn for massive gains if they're under center for the Dolphins. Henne needs to start this year, soon, IMO.
    Posted via Mobile Device

21. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I'm sorry.

I didn't realize that Ted Ginn's catch on 4th and 10 on that very drive meant jack**** to you or anyone else.

I didn't realize that Chad Pennington had to pump fake about 5 times before actually throwing the damn ball to the endzone. Someone at the game said Ginn had a lot of separation before Pennington threw it, but he threw it a day late.

People call out others for defending Ginn... well there are others out there who seem to think he deserves to be cut. There are 31 teams that would love to have Ted Ginn Jr. on their roster with no strings attached. I have no doubts about that. And the comparison to Nate Hughes? Really?

I want you all to go watch a Chris Chambers highlight reel... Look at those passes he's catching, they're being thrown 30-40 yards and on target... With great velocity. When Pennington can pull of something like that, then it'll be a cold day in hell. You want to hate on Ginn's YPC being low, well realize who is throwing to him first...

adamprez2003 likes this.
  22. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Address it?......Hell no one on this forum wants Penny outta there more than I do.

And yes, a better QB would be beneficial to Ginn's game.....but there are things that a better QB won't be able to help Ginn with.

How often do WR's get to make big plays or score touchdowns when they are virtually untouched?.....because that's pretty much the only time you see Ginn make a play.

Last night he'd make a grab and his first reaction was to dive outta bounds, 1st down marker be damned....

You can attribute my posts to some non sense like hatred of player or whatever, it just makes the excuses you make for the guy look even worse.

23. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm ready to just move on and focus on San Diego. We have all given our opinions on what we think happened last night and it's been almost 24 hours since we blew that game. I'm not going to lose any of my friends on here over Ginn or our D or our O.

I can't wait until Sunday and those fricking S.D. Chargers.

jetssuck likes this.
  24. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL

the first one was not a drop, if he had caught it it would be difficult to stay in bounds.

Lets see, there was a drop when he was running a route in the middle of the field, the pass that could have been caught at the end of the game, which one am I missing?

and whose fault is that? he caught the ball over the middle like he was supposed to, it was one of many poorly exceuted plays on that drive.

Camarillo could have made the catch with his ***.

I am very upset with the decsions this coaching staff made.

because he cant get open against a CB unless its a third string CB?

jetssuck likes this.
  25. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia

The throws were there, he dropped them...

26. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    All the time. Tom Brady, Drew Brees, hell Peyton Manning, the list can go on. if you got your man beat, you've done half your job, the QB needs to get you the ball in stride, that's his job, now you've got to catch the ball. Anything else is extra credit.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  27. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I wouldn't cut him, it's not as tho he is of no use at all.....he's just not the player we needed him to be. Doesn't mean I want him executed, just want the FO to realize he's not a #1 WR and find us one.

And I'd be interested to know what those 31 teams are offering for him....I'd listen

steveincolorado and CashInFist like this.
  28. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I think that we watched different games. Under two minutes, of course he's going out of bounds as quickly as possible. I recall a game last year where he didn't go right out of bounds, and the jackals on here were all up in his s*** because he didn't make the right choice. Now last game he shouldn't have gone out to stop the clock. Whatever. He's starting his third year. His first two years were in an offense that doesn't throw deep, and rarely focuses on the same receiver two games in a row. I would imagine it's hard to get into a flow in that situation...kinda like giving Ronnie ten carries a game, and Ricky ten carries a game, and complaining that neither of them are breaking out. Bottom line, Ginn has improved every year, and he looks to still be on that track.
    Posted via Mobile Device

adamprez2003 likes this.
  29. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Wasn't referring to the last two minutes was referring to his ENTIRE CAREER

But I will agree he has made improvements in his game and can at times be a useful player.....

30. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Not quite 3 years bub, 3 years would be April/June 2010.

Also, we might get a 1st rounder for him. I was one of Chambers' biggest fans, but I never thought we'd get a 2nd for him. Just like I never thought anyone would give up a 2nd for Welker. Never thought Moss would be let go for a 4th either, so who knows.

I mean Lamar Gordon went for a 3rd, I absolutely believe it is possible that Ginn could get traded for a #1.

31. TJamesW_Phinfan

TJamesW_Phinfan New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I think the issue is both Pennington and Ginn. It was apparent in the way Manning hit his guys in stride and with fast balls. Pennignton doesn't do that much if at all. No I'm not say hang Pennington. Ginn seems to not focus enough on the ball and too much on defenders or the sideline both of which can be improved. No I'm not saying hang Ginn. I'm saying it is more than just one thing going on in our passing game.

I wish we had grabbed a veteran receiver for Ginn to learn from.

As for pennington I am glad and grateful for what he brought to the Phins and feel he may still be able to contribute but sooner or later they need to let the young guns get dirty. You can only learn so much carrying a clip board. and no I'm not saying Henne or White will necesarily be better than Pennington but eventually we will have to find out.

adamprez2003 and jetssuck like this.
  32. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Who is saying that? Honestly, because I don't see it.

Ginn can be a #1, in fact he is right now.

A "true," prototypical #1 he will never be though. He's not 6'2" 215lbs, with a 40" vertical, and a 4.4 forty.

I like Ginn, hated it when we drafted him, but I am glad he is on this team. And for the record Kenny Britt was who I wanted most in rd 1 this year.

adamprez2003 and Linus like this.
  33. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I wanted Nicks or Britt too, but I still like Ginn. I defend Ginn only because I don't feel he deserves the hate he's getting right now.

adamprez2003 and resnor like this.
  34. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Well not everyone that is criticizing Ginn should be lumped into the hate category...and those that went over board, mostly did so in a blind rage after a tough loss, and in some cases that blind rage had some help from alcohol...lol

Many of us would just like to see a duck called a duck......Ted Ginn = #2 WR, we need to keep looking for a number one.

That being said, those catches and that hundred yards he gained meant little once the ball bounced off his hands in the end zone. Number 2 WR or not, he should have caught that ball.

35. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I don't hate the kid, I just don't think we is a very good WR. I'm still waiting for him to prove me wrong, but he hasn't yet.

BTW, I'm one of those that doesn't drink:wink2:

dirtywhiteboy and jetssuck like this.
  36. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Okay it's one thing to say Ginn can never be elite, but to say he isn't very good is off IMO

He put up good numbers last year, and is off to a good start this year. At worst he is a great #2 option.

adamprez2003, jetssuck and Stitches like this.
  37. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    Riiiiggghhhtttt.

Knee jerk reactions went out the window back after he played his first 20 some odd games.

He's now been in the league for how long and played how many?

If he doesnt start to MAKE PLAYS like it means something and not like "I am here for a check", then all the talk defending him will be just this:

[​IMG]

38. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    See, despite me not agreeing with the no. 1 designation, I dont think he is bad either.

The kid is a good #2 or a GREAT #3 WR in the NFL.

However as a no. 1, he just doesnt seem to have it in him to be that guy.

Its just hard to really say were he belongs when you know he is scared to take shots so you know that over the middle you can't really count on him because he hears the phantom steps of the Safety (no matter how close the safety is), so you can only really play him on the outside and hope that once in awhile he can burn his defender(s), or do what we did last night and mostly have him curl or run outs so he can feel somewhat comfortable and run out of bounds ASAP.

39. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I disagree with the shots thing. I saw him take shots last year. He's not afraid to take a shot when he can make a play. He just doesn't leave himself out there for a shot on every play. Frankly, I wouldn't want him taking a shot every time he catches a pass.
    Posted via Mobile Device

40. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    hope you dont mean this year :lol: we couldnt address every hole we had this past offseason. we have possession guys and we have speed. what we need is that superstar receiver. Ginn was never going to be that guy. He can be one of the better speed guys but dont expect him to transform magically into Larry Fitzgerald. Next year we either draft a playmaking OLB or a playmaking WR with our first. Personally I would rather get the OLB. I think putting in Henne will improve our passing game tremendously. Ginn will be able to make big plays vertically and we'll have the possession types running around with a less crowded underneath coverage. If we do go WR with our first we will have a killer receiving corps. Can you picture Ted Ginn, Dez Bryant and whoever with a strong armed Henne being able to hit every part of the field. It will be a nightmare matchup problem for defensive coordinators