1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ted Ginn had a great game against the Bills...with 1 catch

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Oct 5, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    1 Catch...4 yds...one would think that means Ted Ginn flopped against the Bills, but if you look at what he did he clearly had a large impact.

The two fake end arounds on kickoffs doubled P Cobbs average per return, 1 punt return for 11 yards which is 4 yds more than Bess had been averaging, and 22 yds on the end around.

Berardino is correct that is not really the stuff of a #1 Wr, but Ginn is not really a #1 Wr, he is a player who can be used for a host of things and make the players around him much much better than they normal.

I love the fact he returned that punt, to me that is his natural role if he takes it seriously, ditto kick off returns, I would propose Ginn knew he was not really in the game plan so he made an impact where and when he was given a chance to make an impact.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...game-rewind-of-dolphins-bashing-of-bills.html

2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Well, I do agree that I could see the staff creating a situation of return duties becoming Ginn's #1 concern, and more and more, that could turn into something good..... I guess.
    You mention that Ginn tried to make an impact when and where he could, why wouldn't he be doing that all the time?

EDIT: I am not bashing Ginn in this post, really not.

3. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Why he's not returning punts full-time we'll never know. I really liked those fake handoffs. You could tell it threw the Bills coverage unit off.

I also agree that he's not a #1 WR, so why not utilize his other skills?

padre31 likes this.
  4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Just pointing out the obvious AZ, I'm beginning to think of Ginn as a I think of Jason Allen, not as a "bust" but he is what he is, a sort of jack of all trades offensive weapon who can run well.

I'm cool with that, to me that is what Ted Ginn can do well for us.

5. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    A couple of contradictory thoughts:
    Ginn has not been that impressive as a returner in the Pro's
    If indeed , they could work on it being his forte`, that could be a huge huge upside to our team.
    Going into the season, we know that ST is one area we really needed to improve, and I think we have. Could he help improve that area even more?

6. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Not to play semantical games, but if all Ginn does for us is (a) be a decent WR; and (b) be a decent return guy....he's a bust for the #9 overall pick.

7. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    if not for penalties, he has 3 or 4 tds as a returner.

8. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I agree completely.

And FYI ... next week's game is actually on Mon ... your Avy says Sun ...

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    To me, Ginn's benchmark is 2,000 yds this season, that is if he is used on punts and kickoffs like he probably should be used.

If he is only a Wr then that removes half of his value and potential to impact games....and I cannot wait until that faux hand off on a kick off becomes a real handoff..

10. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Depending on how our staff gets him involved though is the key.
    Let's face it (And yes we will argue it till the end of time :lol:) he is a decent WR, nothing more nothing less. I personally don't think he will ever be any better at WR than he is now, HOWEVER he does still posess world class speed. That is something none of our other recievers have. That makes him a role-playing WR which is fine.
    They need to spend Mucho time getting him KR/PR duty, and take away from his WR duty IMO as ii don't think he will ever improve much at WR.
    If he learned, and our ST learned how to work some returns, he could still turn into a solid contributor

Anybody else believe I am actually defending Ginn :lol:

11. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Consistency. Some get it,, some don't. If he does, h'es 1,000 yard receiver. if he doesn't, he's spotty. We'll see what happens.

But I swear, a yard is a yard closer to the end zone, even if it's on ST. Watching Bess last night on returns is painful. Lotsa movement on his feet, not much actual movement up the field.

12. phinfanuk

phinfanuk Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    Give him a chance to gel with Henne. I think in a few games we may start to open up the playbook a bit and let Chad sling it down field. Ginn has been open fairly often from what people around here have been saying, let's judge him at season's end.

13. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    Another blog which is another ahole trying to create a story.

GINNs help today !. deep routes even not connected kept the Bills honest, end around for a bunch and he had cobbs open on returns all day, they had to respect the idea Ginn my get the hand off on the kick returns imo

LMAO "I posted numerous in-game updates on my Twitter account about this" Guess who doesn't get sideline privledges after that remark dumb ***

BuckeyeKing and padre31 like this.
  14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly, however while that gelling is happening he can make plays that sometimes do not show up in the stats, Cobbs doubling his return average for example, at the end of the season there will not be a note saying "Oh, Ted Ginn ran a fake end around that netted Cobbs 40 more return yards".

I think we will see Ginn de-emphasized as a Wr and moved back to returning kicks, especially punt returns.

15. siciliansith

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    I have to disagree and im not a Ginn supporter or any kind of strap you call it lol.

Ginn is Sparanos go to guy, and we'll work him in more and more especially with Henne. He's the only one that can out run the defense backs he's got to be are go to guy JMO

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    My take on TG is that he is a "good" not "great" Wr.

And Ginn back there on punt returns is huge, that job was taken away from him last season which causes me to wonder why he was back on them unless they've decided they have seen what Ginn has as a Wr only.

I also think Ginn returning kicks will provide a spark for him to up his game.

17. siciliansith

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    This is were i think they have coached him up and after the crappy returns we had against Indy and San Diego why not put Ginn in there it has nothing to do with his WR duties IMO. Also he really didnt do much we created the idea that the other team must defend but he only faked getting the ball lol

PS: I agree he is good, still has time to get great but just doesnt have the size to be aggressive, Vontae's pick wow he totally threw his body into the guy knocked his *** sideways till monday and took the ball. Thats what we need in a true # 1

18. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007

Which is why I'm still stunned that he hasn't been thrown a slant yet. How many of those did he take to the house in college? Is he not getting off the bump?

19. siciliansith

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    good question ive just got into the college game this yr so i deffer to you . Tell me more about the slants he had in college:up:

20. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I think that they have him back there now not because of what he has done as a WR, but because of what the return game has done with him only as a WR. Honestly, I think we see him less as a WR the next few weeks then more after that. I think Henne gets put in a more bigboy run first personnel sets than open multiple receiver sets until he is more comfortable. Let him play action, with fewer routes to watch, and a much better ability to run or pass block out of. Hartline suites this better than Ginn. IMO the Bills game seemed to follow this.

21. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2Z7wReGYxo"]YouTube - Ted Ginn Jr Highlights[/ame]

2:00 - kind of a slant

2:20 - crossing pattern

5:25 - another crossing pattern

We have to give Ginn YAC opportunities. It is the easiest way to allow him to utilize his speed.

Crossing/Slants are the easiest way. Plus, with a young QB like Henne, you can't go wrong. He gets in a rythem and gains confidence. Henne has the bullet to get the ball into the slant and or cross even in tight coverage. Hit Ginn in stride, and he can take it to the house any moment.

This regime prides themselves about basing their system around the talent they have on the roster. Again, I am surprised that that haven’t utilized Ginn with these routes yet.

BTW, I’m no expert. :up:

jdang307, dolfan7171 and siciliansith like this.
  22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is true, our return game has been anemic at best, granted we have not turned the ball over on a return as of yet but 7 ypa on punts is not very good.

23. siciliansith

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    Explosive ty, while we may be pushing ginn towards the long bal. He hasnt shown the crazy ablity in the pros, in that vid he breaks all tackles and gets YAC. lets go Ginn and Henne!

EDIT:
    So i come back to your question lol why hasnt he seen the light here is the game to fast ? i know he has a slight learning issue but i think he'll be ok in the second season with the same playbook. IMO I think he'll prgresss evry game this yr

24. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I'm glad he's pissed. It's put up or shut up time. We need him pissed.

siciliansith likes this.
  25. siciliansith

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    Wow the only time i want to have my guy pissed lol WELL SAID

26. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I dont give a rats azz whether or not hes a #1 receiver, i have seen more then just flashes from him

Hes got a frail body that limits his strength and explosion, keep grinding him, keep making him do squats and deadlifts, and keep letting him run...Ted ginn would love a peyton manning offense and would flourish..we just have to utilize his strengths.

He is very valuable to us at receiver....

27. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Watching the Vikes game...Harvin is 5'11" and 184, and Ginn is 5'11" 180...but Harvin looks way way bigger than Ginn.
    Posted via Mobile Device

28. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    he is not returning punts because he runs like a sissy... :angry:

29. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I've got Harvin at 192-195. You sure about your numbers?

EDIT: Reading some comine measures, and he came in at 202?

30. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Yeah it's much better to have tough man Cobbs run straight into tacklers at the 22 yard line.

31. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is why his punt return on Sunday is good news, Ginn has said he wanted to return kicks again, so hopefully he will continue on returns.

Like I've said, to me Ginn's benchmark if he returns kicks he should top 2000 total yards.

32. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Cobb may not be the answer but neither is Ginn. Ginn plays scared that is why he will never be anything more then he is right now.

33. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    a "great" game is a incredible stretch imo.....a decoy for 2 plays, one end around where he could have scored but made a dumb move inside instead......and 1 catch for 4 yards.

hardly "great" imo

mroz likes this.
  34. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    He does have value....not like it makes any sense to cut him loose.

And I'd add something to that idea of yours for bulking him up.....

Have Parcells get in his face and challenge him to step up and quit playing so soft. Nothin to hurt but his feelings.....

And not sure how much he improves even with Manning........Peyton's receivers look for yardage after the catch, Ginn does the "sniper".

35. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I "think" both Cobbs long returns led to Dolphins scoring drives, Ginn's decoying can be safely said to be the cause for Cobbs doubling his normal return average.

And it is odd that Ginn cuts inside on that end around, and heads for contact, and now he is not given credit for doing so?

36. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    are you just inventing stuff to help your defense now? lol.

so now lets hope ginn nulifies a potential TD to go for contact and "prove" haters wrong? nice.

oh and now cobbs return, is given credit to ginn......but not only that, its not like we started on the 15 yard line. we still had to drive down the field.....its not like we havent had trouble scoring in the redzone before this game.....but we did yesterday....let me guess thats credit to ginn also? (even though he had no catches, and had nothing to do with the drive itself) comon padre.

37. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I liked Cobbs and Ginn both back there....it shook things up.

I had to laugh when Ginn cut back up field.....all the times I've complained about him heading to the sideline and not turning it back up field. He FINALLY does it and it probably cost him a TD.

For the most part, Ginn runs a nice reverse....he generally picks up some good yardage.

38. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    Oh yeah I am psyched too our number one receiver has caught 1 pass for 6 yards in two games, I bet the jest defense is having nightmares about his awesome performances.

SICK likes this.
  39. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Meh I think the guy being blocked towards the sidelines would have gotten him. He followed his blocker and he just got there before his blocker...

But I wanna know why we used Hartline on a reverse...

40. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    i don't think you can pretend cobbs was not getting more yards with ginn back there. Unless you are proposing it is coincidence.

GridIronKing34 likes this.