1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tebow leads Broncos over Raiders

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by padre31, Nov 6, 2011.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    10-21 2 Td's

117 yds rushing

Raiders lost 38-24, they couldn't stop the run as McGahee had 160 yds rushng or some outrageous number.

But, to me Tebow is the story as he is now 2-1 as a starter, and he has not got it done in a traditional Qb manner, which makes him interesting to me as according to folks who watch this stuff, Tebow couldn't win the NFL playing that style.

To me, he is the modern version of Joe Kapp, or even Jim McMahon, neither was the prettiest passer, but they just won ballgames.

gafinfan likes this.
  2. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Sheesh now Tim Tebow is an NFL winner. I've heard it all today. Tebow sucks, as do the Broncos. This becomes obvious everytime they're not playing a joke of a franchise like the Dolphins and Raiders.

3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    2-1 is 2-1, you may not like Tebow, it's hard to argue with the numbers.

4. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Well when he faced a decent defense with some talent in Detroit he was made to look like a joke, I mean the players were literally making fun of him on the field, they had no fear of him whatsoever. We made him look like a joke for all but 3 minutes and the Raiders just had no answer for the running game. Do you see Tebow going into Baltimore or Pittsburgh and coming out with a victory? Thats where guys like Tebow come up short, remember Vick and Young when they were rooks coming up with off the wall plays and running around winning some games? Its hard for bad teams to stop them but when they went up against legit defenses they were made to look foolish. Tebow has to learn how to pass to win in the NFL. A 3 game sample isn't enough, he's got to get it done against real competition over a season and it won't happen. He is one of the worst passers I've ever seen in the NFL, I mean its embarrassing to watch him throw.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Good defenses can make even all pro Qb's look bad, Tebow is pretty much a rookie as it is, but he does find a way to win ball games, which is my point with him, he is in career start what..#6? And is 3-3 or so, if viewed as what he is a young starting Qb, how is this a bad overall performance?

Typically, 10 for 21 will get you beat, but add in 2 Td tosses and 100 yds rushing and it wins games

6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Denver adjusted their offense to better fit Tebow's strengths. It's still a work in progress, but it got them more points than this team was getting with Orton. It also got them more wins than Orton was getting them. I give Fox credit for adjusting more than I thought he was capable of. I flipped to the game periodically and I saw some read option that left the Raiders confused. That long McGahee run was created in part b/c the DE followed Tebow. And Tebow had a beauty of a TD pass to Decker. I couldn't tell if Decker was his second read or if he was looking off the S, but either one is good QBing.

7. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    And when he finishes with a terrible record, he finishes with a terrible record. Hard to argue with the numbers. Never seen a worse QB in my life.

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    He is going to have to pass more effectively, but otherwise I think he is a ton of fun to watch.

Who knows? Problem is his skill set is unique, if he goes down and your backup is a dropback guy, your team's season is over

9. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    I actually watched the Broncos v. Raiders game. Tebow looked like crap in the first half, something turned on in the second half and was throwing the ball pretty nicely. He had a strong drive and eventually led the Broncos from a deficit to win the game (with help from a kickoff return for a td and Willis McGahee having two nice TD runs.) I think maybe in time he'll become a decent starter at qb, he's got a ways to go though.

10. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    The dude has started 3 NFL games and he's a winner already?

jesus christ.

11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    He turned water into a 160 yard performance by McGahee.

12. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Good Qbs can beat good defenses too. Tebow's passing stats are embarrassing, I don't really think there is a large enough sample to say the 'guy just wins', its way too early to say his style of play can win consistently. I think the Broncos will take a Qb early in the draft next year and we'll see how long they stick with Tebow.

13. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    Thank you, R&R!

Love,

Cleo Lemon

padre31 likes this.
  14. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    And this has nothing to do with how bad we are, or Willis McGahee having a monster game....

15. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    McGahee doesn't have a monster game without Tebow as quarterback.

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Fun to watch tho...:lol:

IDK, for some reason, guys who move around and make stuff happen, consistently, just seem to get better performances from their teammates.

I've watched a bit of Joe Kapp play, and Tebow reminds me of Kapp, throws up wounded ducks, runs tough, firey.

Though some graybeards told me on twitter that TT is a better athlete, the only place Kapp could run to was the fridge, for another beer...:lol:

17. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Bull****. No one is scared of Tebow.

18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Did you watch the game? There is no way you say that if you watched the game.

19. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I didnt watch the game, but no one in the NFL is scared of or respects Tebow. That is a fact.
    Good teams will crush him like the Lions did.

20. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    That doesn't change the fact that McGahee doesn't have a monster game without Tebow.

If you watched the game, then you wouldn't say something that is just plain wrong.

If you want to point to things that didn't have anything to do with Tebow that lead to a Broncos victory, then you could point to Palmer's 3 interceptions or the big punt return by Eddie Royal.

Plus fear or respect doesn't matter on game day when a player gets results. Tebow threw some nice passes, which made it so the Raiders couldn't just disregard his passing. Tebow had some success running the ball off of a fake hand off to McGahee, which then made it so the Raiders had to take the run threat seriously.

padre31 likes this.
  21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Scoreboard.

22. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Something tells me this is going to be a week in and week out discussion as long as Tebow is a starter. He will look bad in the wins and pathetic in the losses, he'll make enough big plays that the guys with man crushes on him will keep making excuses and he'll make enough bad plays that the haters will keep hating. I expect the Broncos to be around 6-10 and taking a Qb in the first or 2nd round, I don't see Fox or Elway sticking it out for the long haul with Tebow, he's fun for the fans to watch but he's got to drive a coach nuts with his inconsistent play.

23. KingofMiami

KingofMiami FINS ARE KING

Jan 29, 2010
    miami fl
    I'm not a fan of tebow
    but how is it possible to look bad if you're winning

24. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    No, he's right. Every big play Denver had was off of a zone read with Tebow-McGahee. If Orton is QB, that zone read doesn't work.

25. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Yea it's not like McGahee had two 100 hundred yard games without Tebow or anything, and had most of his yards in another 100 yard game with Orton at QB in the SD game. Tebow, ****ing awful. Still makes me laugh that somebody actually drafted such an obviously terribly flawed prospect with a 1st round pick lol.

26. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Spoken as someone who didn't watch the game.

27. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    At least he could complete half of his passes and throw for a couple hundred yards during football games.

28. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Spoken like a douche who couldn't refute my statement about McGahee having 3 big games without Teblow.

29. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    spoken as someone who has to result to insults because he didn't watch the game.

30. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Tebow ran for 117 yards on them. If they weren't worried about player who got 117 on them, then they are idiots. I'm sure they'll be worried about him if they play him again. And if you actually watched the game you would have seen that on McGahee's big runs the end followed Tebow instead of McGahee. He also had a couple of nice TD passes. I don't think they were incredible throws, but they were successful in part b/c the Raiders had to respect the run (both the RB and the QB). That's the thing that people don't get about why a QB with Tebow's running skills wins more often than a QB like Orton who is a much better passer. The playing field isn't level. The running QB often gets to pass against fewer defenders b/c the defense is forced to use a spy or some other strategy to protect against the run. The fan just sees a poorer passer, but suddenly Denver has doubled the number of wins they had and doubles their point average.

31. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Can you add a third ball-carrier to that rotation, a sweep type player?

32. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Meh I think Denver could have beaten us and a McFadden-less (by far and away their most important player) with Orton. I do think Tebow's ability to run helps him get easier passes but how many good teams are going to let Tebow get over 100 on them? We are talking about building a team to compete against the Ravens, Jest, Steelers, etc, not just putting together a gimmick offense that can make fools of Miami and Oakland. When Tebow actually plays well against a good team people will stop asking a lot of the questions but until then he's, as stated by his own front office man John Elway on a short leash because of his poor play.

33. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    IDK if that is really fair ff72, Tebow has a handful of starts, why is he viewed differently then any other young Qb?

Not saying he'll turn into Staubach, or even Joe Kapp, do think to be fair to the player he should have a season of starting under his belt, then see where he is in yr #2 to see if he has worked to improve his yr #1 mistakes, the same chance any other young Qb would receive.

34. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    You could add a third player but not a sweep. You'd have to make it a triple option.

35. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Maybe its not being fair but do you really see Elway or Fox literally placing their jobs and reputations on the line for a guy like Tebow? Its an experiment really, you are seeing if you can have a Qb that needs to run for 70-100 yards a game to set up his passing game, has their been a Qb like this before? Its a lot to ask for a coach or front office to get on board, for fans its fun to watch, I enjoy watching sandlot football but we are talking about a coach and front office that are going to be fired if the Tebow experiment blows up in their face.

Remember neither one had anything to do with picking him either. And lets be honest if he wasn't so popular with the fans he wouldn't be playing right now, from all the reports he didn't even beat out Brady Quinn in training camp, if he wasn't Tim Tebow the man of the people he would probably have been cut in training camp. Who knows, maybe he will revolutionize the position and be a franchise savior, I don't think it will happen but hey it could.

36. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Nobody is saying Tebow is a great QB. What I'm saying is that Denver is a horrible team that (actually worse than the one Orton led since they traded away Brandon Lloyd) and yet he is pulling off some wins in part b/c of his unusual skill set. With Orton there, they looked Indy bad, not win another game all season bad, yet he's gotten 2 wins in his three starts. The more close-minded or just clueless want to ignore those wins b/c Tebow doesn't look good in a conventional offense, but the fact is that he's part of the reason they're winning. You can reasonably question whether or not Tebow has the skills to develop enough as a passer to ever become a good NFL QB. Personally, I don't think he can ever be even a good QB in a conventional offense. However, I also don't think a conventional offense is the only way to win. I follow UF quite a bit and all of the criticisms in this thread have been heard before. How the SEC is the best conference in the country and the closest thing to the NFL so there's no way he could succeed there. He was a moderately highly rated QB b/c of his HS success, but his passing was just as questioned. Meyer figured out how to use him in an unconventional offense and he succeeded spectacularly. Meyer limited the number of three and five step drops, those timing patterns that Tebow struggles with. He didn't eliminate them and he didn't have to. The fact is that Tebow throws some great passes. His release isn't Leftwich slow as many keep saying. That isn't an opinion. During the draft process his release was clocked and it wasn't much slower than the better NFL QBs and about in line with the average QBs. He does have the loop in the early part but the second half is faster so the net is easily fast enough. So the mechanics aren't really an issue. Tebow's main problem with timing plays is that he's not reading the defense fast enough. He gets back there and too often doesn't pull the trigger on the first read. Tebow also is inconsistent. He makes some great throws and then some WTF throws. Minimizing the timing plays seems to help Tebow get in a rhythm and minimize the errant throws. And on the other side Tebow has a tendency to make a ton of plays when he runs with it or is extending the play. He's not going to put up 117 against everybody or even most teams, but that will be b/c most teams will make keeping him in the pocket a priority. Meyer put him in more situations where Tebow could create or extend the play. And he found play makers that could make defenses pay for focusing on stopping Tebow from making those plays.

37. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Much will depend on how many games they win. I could see Denver pulling off a 5 - 7 win season (which is incredible based on how bad they looked with Orton). That would take them out of contention with the top 2 guys for sure (Luck and Barkley). Jones might be in that group as well (McShay likes him) depending on how much his struggles when pressured are emphasized. If those three are gone then much will depend on whom they take. IMO Weedon could come in and look worlds better than Tebow immediately, but I expect struggles from RGIII and Wilson if they come out. Even Tannehill is pretty raw so he might need some time as well. So while I expect Denver to draft a QB, it's possible that only one of the available guys will make them switch the starter immediately.

38. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    A lot of things can be done with it. Here is a zone read with a couple of pass options, making the play a quadruple option:

quadruple.jpg

39. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009

Zone-read. It's what superbowls are made of. True story.

Lab3003 likes this.
  40. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    All true, the thing I dislike about Tebow is he has not yet learned the craft of being a Qb, he is still raw in areas that he really should not be as raw as he is, for example, for a good athlete his footwork is terrible and that causes his inconsistency throwing the ball (imo), he also, as you point out, does not look of receivers even at a minimal level.

He also is ripe to have the ball stipped as he still carries it to low when he does drop back.

These are issues that good Qb coaching and hard work can help to mitigate, but, I have the impression that he does not put in the time needed to improve those areas.

But to me, every young Qb will have issues, the thing with him is they are fixable imo.