1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tebow/Gators/Jan. 2010

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by my 2 cents, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    I am going to save everyone a lot of time away from their families next year.....Tebow returns, mad mad love from the press and a non confrence schedule of Charleston Southern, Troy, FIU, and FSU, SEC away games are, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State and South Carolina....your 2009 national champions are the Florida Gators. There is no way...no way the Gators will not be playing in the NC game for the 2009 season...that schedule is nt even worth of being called Utah'ish...and the Gators could lose 3 games and with the messiah playing for them they would still play in the NC game.....congratulations Gator fans. Great team, mad media love, defending champs, lousy schedule equals repeat.

2. Oboy

Oboy Premium Member Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    So much hatred this morning, Ray??

Yes that schedule does not look that daunting. However, look at their one loss this season... Ole Miss. You never know who is going to be good. Not many predicted Bama in the SEC title game this year... So lets let it play out before we crown the Gators.

3. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Its a very easy schedule I will agree, But there are some tough games. FSU, Georgia, LSU, SEC title game, and if we are lucky a National title game oppenet

4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Is LSU going to get better than last year?? Did they lose alot of players?? Obviously I dont follow the SEC so I wouldnt know also Georgia could be very average losing their top offensive players.

5. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    LSU will still have playmakers on both side of the ball. Besides their home field is a serious home field advantage. I am sure they will get better QB play as well.

Georgia will have very nice Oline and Running back, But finding a QB will be there problem. I would not be shocked if they start a true freshman because the guy they have coming in can play. Their Defense will be around where it was this year

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  6. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Not even Utahish? Are you ****ing kidding me? We by no means have a tougher schedule next year than we had this year(as of right now anyways), but Utah and the MWC are an absolute joke when it comes to scheduling. TCU does not belong in the top 10, I would be willing to put money on SEC teams with more losses(and therefore lower ranking) compared to the MWC teams who play the unstoppable forces that are Air Force, San Diego State, Wyoming, New Mexico year in and year out. I mean who would have thought that with a tough conference like the MWC, that any team could possibly go undefeated?

Looking at the other 2 ranked teams from the MWC, TCU and BYU...they would be near bottom feeders in the SEC IMO. People that want to point to the Sugar Bowl to argue about MWC vs SEC and ignore the fact that Bama had nothing to play for must really enjoy basking in ignorance. I would love to see a Bama-Utah set added to their schedules. I would be shocked if Utah could even beat Ole Miss.

7. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Gee's man....you UF fans are an emotional group thats for sure.

Skeet84 likes this.
  8. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Oh please. You havn't been having to put up with idiotic Ute fans that have been trolling the Internet with a hard on ever since they managed to beat a soul-less Bama team. Coming onto UF boards claiming they are the real champions gets old fast. The fact is, when someone makes a comparison claiming UF's schedule is laughable compared to Utah's(the epitome of a joke), I am going to point out how ridiculous that is.

9. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Im not taking any sides Im just saying if anyone questions your team or your conference some of you guys get a little hostile.

10. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    It is not even about "questioning my team". I don't know why you would assume that I cannot take "questioning", but it gets frustrating putting up with people who do things like complain about UF's schedule, all the while putting Utah up on a pedestal. They have an absolute joke of a conference and schedule.

Just go spend 2 minutes on the UF board at ESPN or other places, you will see it packed with morons claiming that the NC is tainted and that we didn't deserve it. This is a team from the MWC we are talking about after all.

11. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Still you have totake it for what it is....a group of fans who feel betrayed by a flawed system, just because they disagree with you doesnt make them a "moron".

Florida has the crystal ball in the case thats all that should matter. Just seems like they get your blood pressure up a little too much.

Skeet84 and Oboy like this.
  12. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I believe they should go out of the state of Florida for their OCS

13. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    We have a home and home starting with the "U" then one with Oklahoma. We finish the 2nd leg of USC in the shoe next year( I'll be there) and split with Texas in years both us and them made the BCS game.

There are going to be your in state schools no question but its nice to see our A.D scheduling the powerhouses.

I think I read where we tried to schedule a home and home with FSU but they didnt wanna play us on the road.

14. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I would never say Florida doesn't deserve the NC, but I would certainly enjoy seeing them play Utah and/or Texas (or the winner between those two at least).

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  15. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    LOL.....more like jealousy:):up:

16. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Uhhhhh...yeah I was:)...........

17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'm not a big fan of the SEC because I think they are sometimes thought of too highly but there's no doubt in my mind that if your playing in the SEC, you have a tough schedule. There are some bottom feeders, just like in every conference, but I think that overall, the schedule in the SEC is difficult.

Get Up And Go and Phinz420 like this.
  18. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Or USC for that matter...

Stitches likes this.
  19. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Good call. :up:

20. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    I imagine it does...I can only imagine because my Canes have been irrelevant since the OSU game.....but my opinion is that this situation is exactly what makes CFB so great and so bad......great because we have something to argue/debate the till next January and bad because their is no clear cut winner.

Bottom line is the system is flawed...do you realize that if you play a game September 30 on a Thursday and win by 10 you will get less computer "credit" than if you played that same game on Saturday...and it is significant...that is flawed. We have no real reason to watch CFB until late November because all we hear is that it is all about..."who is playing best at the end of the year"...so screw watching games until Late November for me...that is all that counts. We have coaches that vote and NEVER see another team other than their opponents and themselves, yet somehow have the expertise to play into the NC......it used to be that the entire season counted...now just the last 3-4 games count. You have teams with no conference Championship that somehow get considered for NC games with losses.

You an refer to Ute fans as "morons" if you like, that is certainly your well within your rights, but fact is they beat the teams on their schedule...all the teams on tyheir schedule....You think they thought Notre Dame and Oregon State would suck as bad as they do when they added them to the schedule. The SEC will always get high rankings but it is in decline the last two years....still a high level but in decline. Look at the probable QB's next year...they have an argument...Florida lost at home to an unranked team (later ranked), Texas lost on the road to the 2nd ranked team in the country, OU lost to Texas (#4 at the time I think), USC lost on the road to a terrible team...UTAH did not lose...now which of those are the least impressive losses...USC and florida I say...I also agree that their was probably no better team at the end of the year...but it is a season not a specific moment in time...it is supposed to be about a body of work....Look at the QB's next year in that conference.............

MSU: who knows
    LSU: Randall Sheppard or the INT machine Hatch or their 1/2 dimensional player Jefferson....potential but bad right now.....
    OLE Miss: Jevan Snead....2nd best in the conference and the only other legitimate QB in the conference
    Kentucky: Mike Hartline or Will Fidler....*** on...
    Auburn: who knows...Kodi Burns...that is funny.......
    Georgia: Joe Cox.......nuff said
    Tennessee: Jonothan Crompton...LOL
    Alabama:Greg McElroy...LOL ...harder
    Vandy: Who knows
    South Carolina: Garcia is Smelley........
    Arkansas: Someone that sucks worse than Casey Dick....maybe Nathan Dick.....

Great history but LSU will be a 4-5 loss team next yext year....playmakers on offense...who...name one that can play without Ciron Black, Hermann Johnson and no QB...Richard Dickson...a TE...no....

Florida has by FAR..BY FAR the most talent in that conference next year and it is not even close...that conference has been slipping and next year slides off the edge of the cliff....Florida is the one legitimate team with a legitimate QB next year...they should go wire to wire and never be threatened with that schedule and competing against those opponents with their talent, the press on their side and Tim Tebow.......is they do not win by more than 20 every game then they should drop in the rankings (I am only slightly kidding with the way they like to run up the score).

All in all IMHO the NC is becoming less and less clear cut and less and less of an achievment because it is so arbitrary.or else OLE MISS would be NC...they were playing great at the end of the year and beat the #1 team on the road........

21. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    I think we have an obvious misunderstanding here. I am in no way defending the BCS system. I have been long calling for a playoff structure that could actually include obscure teams like Utah and BSU given the right circumstances. However, we have the current BCS system due to one reason. It created an atmosphere where the #1 and #2 ranked teams in the nation guaranteed for the National Championship. I do not think it is the most fair system and I would love to see it changed asap.

[/quote]
    Actually I referred to the Ute fans who trolled UF message boards "idiotic" declaring themselves the champions, not their fans in general.

Beating all of the teams on their schedule shouldn't be an automatic bid into the National Championship. Otherwise we would be seeing things like Boise St. vs Utah. ****ing ridiculous that would be my friend. I do feel though that they should be able to be included in a playoff system. However I am not so sure that the current BCS system would easily allow them in if we simply move to a +1.

The SEC is in decline, yet we have won the last 3 BCS championships(now 5-0 in BCSNCG) and the only SEC team to get embarrassed in this bowl year was Alabama, who indisputably had nothing at all to play for.

I do believe Texas was shafted. If the Big 12 had rules similar to the SEC, they would have been in, nuff said on that.

I really don't see where any complaint has any kind of validity about our loss to Ole Miss. They put a beat down on TTU and Grahm Harrel. We lost by a blocked extra point that would have tied the game with a few minutes to go.

The fact is, we lost. But so did the other teams in the top of the rankings. For someone to suggest that the best way to structure these teams for a 1v2 championship game is to just look at who they lost to and nothing else is ludicrous. Strength of schedule & winning a top conference far outweighs looking at who the L came from.

Utah's SOS was ranked #88th in the nation. That is simply unacceptable for anyone to claim they deserved to be in the NCCG simply because "they beat all the teams on their schedule".

I really hope you can see just how asinine it is to sit there commenting on how this team will have X number of losses next year.

Injuries happen, so can shockers like Ole Miss vs UF 2008. The SEC should be given more credit as a whole than you are allowing. What do you think the best conference is? I'm going to assume you will bark out the Big12. Does it not look bad at all that one of the top teams(and who was included in NCCG discussions towards the end) lost to the "dreadful Ole Miss"? Texas barely edges out OSU and the supposed "best offense ever" gets put down by UF's defense.

Now, UF's defense is great don't get me wrong, they easily along with Harvin were the MVPs of the big game IMO. But there just isn't a lot of separation between UF and many other SEC defenses'. Tim Tebow is obviously what really sets us apart from the pack, for one more year anyways.

If you ask any player from any school about what their ultimate goal was for the end of the season, 100% of them will say it is to play in the BCSNCG. Until we implement another system that is, but we will most likely have to sacrifice our beloved intense CFB seasons. No longer will be the days where every game matters once that transition is made. I think it will be worth it though, just so that the championship will be less clouted with sour grapes.

The problem still lies in that Ute fans are seeking to be given the credit for going undefeated as enough to get them into a championship game. Unfortunately for them, the system sees right through that #88th ranked schedule for what it really is.

22. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    It is a flawed system but that doesnt mean that Florida's title is tainted in any way, you are gonna have teams that try and stake their claim until we get a playoff. This wouldve been an awesome year if we had a playoff but what can you do?? UF is the champs they beat a worthy opponent in Oklahoma end of story.

23. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    1. My bad....thought you called them idiots....which is still your choice:)
    2. UF lost at home...Texas lost on the last play of the game on the road to a top 5 team...Texas got shafted IMHO...
    3. Actually Sagarin has them with the 56th rated schedule but I get your point. The MWC is not great top to bottom but IMHO the SEC is Becoming way overrated and I am an SEC guy. I always thought the best football as the SEC. Utah was 2-0 against BCS top 10, Florida was 2-1.........against the BCS top 30 Utah was 3-0 and Florida was 5-1...go down 2 spots to 32 and Utah was 4-0. I understand it is unacceptable that Utah feels slighted to Gator fans, but you are discounting Utah and acting like they played no one.....
    4. OK if it makes you feel better...IMHO LSU is a 4-5 loss team next year based on their talent level coming back....better?
    5. I agree...I would love to see a limited "tournament" so the season has some meaning...right now....IMHO...the season is losing its importance because the voters do not look at the entire season...only who "os playing better at the end of the year".
    6. 56th...according to Sagarin...not 88th...who quotes that ranking BTW? Utah stacks up very well against the top 32 at least according to Sagarin based on the top 32.....the SEC was overrated in the mid pack this year....IMHO....SC was terrible and Bama proved that #1 ranking was an aberretion. I think you have a very good argument if you are talking Boise State or someone that only played 1 or 2 games against top 30...or 32 type competition...but as much as you and Gator fans in general want to discount Utah the numbers are close enough to at least present a good argument.

Also if you look at the ELO chess number then Utah is #1 and UF is #2.....that number does not take into account margin...only SOS/wins so it was the humans that made the Gators #1...not the computer,,,that was Utah.....also to answer one of your questions...I am really not sure what conference is the best, I guess to directly answer your question ...I do not know and really do not have a strong opinion....most conferences are unbalanced and the top teams are always the same top teams....and distancing themselves further from the middle of the pack....IMHO the SEC is following most conferences and becoming very unbalanced at the top...I still think UF is the top team in the SEC obviously but the second tier will be worse next year and the bottom is going to be terrible...IMHO. As for how good florida will be...IMHO they are the most consistent, talented team that returns their nucleus...USC will be down, OU will struggle some if Bradford leaves losing Loadholt, Robinson, maybe English, Iglesias, and some major role players, Ohio State is Ohio State, ACC stinks, TT will come back to earth IMHO, Utah should be very good but again the schedule perception will hurt them...IMHO Texas/UF are the top 2...........

24. Oboy

Oboy Premium Member Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I love your optimism Ray! I hope it goes down like you say just bc that pretty much gives us the championship.

Again though, I stick to the fact that college football is extremely unpredictable. Which is why most of us think it is the best sport out there. Every year USC is stacked with talent and they typically lose to some team that has no business beating them. Lately same can be said of UF. Which is why I do agree, I think Utah got shafted. However, I think there are a few teams that can say that this year. So yeah, the system is flawed, but it is all we have right now.

As for the SEC being down... they only lost 2 games in the Bowl season. One of which Spurrier just looked like he had a lost team. The other, just did not seem like themselves (for whatever reason-maybe just the talent of Utah). If I am not mistaken the SEC was underdogs in almost every match up. So I am not sure I would say they are down too much. Still have some of the best coaches in the Nation.

Skeet84 likes this.
  25. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    So you think it should have been Texas vs Oklahoma for the NCCG? Even after Texas barely edging out Ohio State and UO losing? That would be a joke. Texas should have won their conference if the Big12 didn't have stupid rules, so they did get shafted there. But in no way should they have gotten UF's spot.
    LOL, BCS top ten. So you are acting as if TCU is a powerhouse just because they similarly to Utah, play absolutely nobody all season long and collect wins against cupcakes? I would love to see these teams play through SEC schedules year in year out. Not to mention that Alabama, once again had absolutely nothing to play for against Utah. If they beat Utah, they would be given no credit for accomplishing anything, and they were the #1 ranked team in the nation for over a month going into the game right before Utah where they had their hopes ruined. Now Utah on the other hand, felt like they weren't given enough respect and had a chance to stick it to one of the top SEC teams. Let's not act as if the Utah win against Alabama is anything spectacular given those circumstances.

Maybe you should seek out the definition of the word asinine.
    The numbers aren't anywhere close, especially when you factor in how unimpressive the ranked teams they even played are. *cough* TCU, and why do you keep falling back on that win vs Bama as if it proved anything substantial?

26. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    3 losses and they're done, no way they play for the title short of a complete down year in college football. And even if they do play for the title I wouldnt hand them anything. They should be the favorites next year but how often does the favorite go wire to wire?

27. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Not very often but I believe FSU did it in '99.

28. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Actually I think it should have been Texas and Florida.....

What is asinine ...i.e. silly or stupid IMHO (maybe you should seek out the meaning of that acronym) .....are the inconsistencies in your reference points in this debate...you reference rankings when they fit your side of the debate and then dismiss them when they are referencing TCU, Utah or an opponent of Utah...Look I get it, you are representative of many people's vision of a sterotypical Gator fan....when their is any debate that might...might not be too their liking they get defensive...look I have no problem with UF being NC...fact is they are...does UTAH, TEXAS and possibly USC have an argument...yes....I am done here....I agree with you and I disagree with you....but you seem to want to finish first, third and fourth in this circle jerk of a debate.............

Oboy likes this.
  29. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    You made comments declaring how many losses various teams will have next year. That is just ridiculous. Nobody cares what some random fan thinks about how many losses this or that team will have next season. You don't know a damn thing about what you are talking about with comments like that. It is absolutely pointless.

You can cry all you want about my listing of ranks, but that doesn't change the fact that TCU & Utah did absolutely nothing to prove that they deserve their ranking. My comments have more to do with their schedules than their current ranking. I have held steadfast on the position that it doesn't mean **** to go undefeated when you consistently play some of the worst teams in the nation.

You are representative of a hater with sour grapes. All I ever did was point out how idiotic people are for declaring Utah the national champs, and then you had difficulty comprehending basic English to the point that you go and accuse me of lambasting their entire fan base. Then you go and use the whole mantra of "oh my they were undefeated". Why is it that to some people going undefeated means so much when you have an absolutely atrocious strength of schedule?

Maybe UF should leave the SEC if this is the case, really what is the point to playing difficult teams if we always have to hear this bull**** from teams who play in the worst conferences in college football?

30. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    I will leave it to others to evaluate the quality and your overall contribution aside from emotions to this thread. I will say you do not know me, and I do not know you, so I assume you to be quality people because this board is made of good pep's.....BUT... go easy on the judgments on someones opinions, intelligence and motives for stating an opinion when you know nothing about them, their background or "qualifications" to have an opinion.

With that said, I did some more number crunching, and with all respect to you, your post made me look a little closer. In the end the Utah argument got weaker and weaker the more I looked.....we may find more to respectfully disagree about, in that thread also............

http://forums.thephins.com/showthread.php?t=25221

31. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    [mod] lets stay on topic with this please [/mod]

32. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Ummm.....bitter much.:cry:

Phinz420 likes this.
  33. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    So the truth is out...you are a self declared Hater.

34. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Absolutely ... never denied it and never will.....been consistent over a long time now...has nothing to do with the University or its football team.

35. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    More like jealousy rather than bitter...considering my Canes are about as relevant on the college football map as.....well...Charleston southern now days....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.