1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tanoh Kpassagnon (DE Villanova)

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Colmax, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    So, I get the feeling that Miami is sticking with a wide-9 type defense with Matt Burke. That seems to be Burke's MO having worked under Schwartz in Detroit. I think the DE is a highly important position on this defense. I'm not sure that we'll see much more blitzing than before. If the line can get there, there's no need for it. At least, that's the philosophy.

Just happened upon Kpassagnon while reading about DEs in the upcoming draft. I think Miami really has to consider this position.

A little background on K:
    - Small school guy who wasn't highly recruited out of high school
    - 6'7" 280
    - An audible "whoa" from the crowd when he weighed in at Senior Bowl (eye test: check!)

Reading about him, there's nothing to dislike. Went to Villanova because of their business school. Looked more like a hoops player coming out of high school. Redshirted. Tried out at TE. An opposing offensive coordinator who had previously come from the SEC said he looked like an SEC player playing on Villanova.

So the guy is raw. But raw is okay at DE. Maybe even moreso than almost any other position. Coaches can develop raw.

What I like (on small sample size):
    - Size is obvious
    - Disruptive in the backfield
    - I think he's actually better vs run than at pass rushing
    - Takes up good space - even when he's not making the play, he's in a good position to hinder progress
    - One thing that pops is that he's not afraid of getting his nose dirty. Seems to really enjoy the contact, even when doubled
    - Looks like they played him at different positions along the line

What could use refining:
    - Not quick off the line (or maybe it was more because of how big he is, he doesn't look explosive off the line, but he does get by defenders)
    - Maybe could have better awareness. QBs aren't going to hold the ball in the NFL like the Colonial Athletic QBs, so he just can't always go go go. He's gotta use that big tall frame to jump passes.
    - Stiff hips
    - Hits high (and I can accept that because of his height), but he doesn't always bring smaller defenders down. More of a 'hang on until they blow the whistle' type tackle.
    - No flashy moves out of four point stance. Gets low as hell for a big guy, but pass rushing techniques seem rudimentary at best.

Anyway, I kind of like the guy for an early-mid round pick. He may get overdrafted by someone, but I think Miami could use a guy like this. I think coaching could really bring out something good in his game.

What do y'all think?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  2. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    sounds like a mid to late round pick. He could rise in the combine. Do you have any tape?

3. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    There's a couple games on YouTube from Draft Breakdown. You obviously like his size, but he seems stiff like you said. I agree with d25, probably a third-round pick at the highest.

4. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Yeah, I only say early (2nd) because I think someone takes him there. Not necessarily us (at least I hope not). 3rd seems very fair.

I kind of think he'd be a solid fit, and along with coaching, could be good in this D.