1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tannehill & the Wild cat ?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, May 9, 2012.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    NFL experts differ on how long they think Ryan Tannehill will need before starting.

seems to me that the coach could put together a variation of the single wing- WildCat, getting him into the game without throwing him directly to the wolves. I'd like to see him wait until mid-season or next year before he takes over the entire offense.

whatever, let them compete...

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bgDk9?...medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=miami-dolphins

2. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    The Wildcat? No, probably not. That's a very specific formation.

Will they use some option stuff, like Texas A&M did in college? Probably a little, apparently it wasn't Mike Sherman's favorite element of the offense.

3. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I doubt it. Aaron Rodgers was a pretty mobile guy, and IIRC there weren't many designed runs for GB, even in situations where it would have been prudent.

4. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    We are liable to see plenty of the wildcat...from the Jests et all,Sparano and Tebow .

We will probaly see a lot of sprint outs and misdirection plays on our offense however

The Rev and Stringer Bell like this.
  5. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    One of the plays that if you watched the Gruden QB Camp is that Sherman's offense liked to use a bit of QB read options. Tannehill would watch the DE when he was in the process of handing off and if the DE over committed he'd keep the ball and run right by the DE.

6. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I was thinking about Tannehill and the wildcat earlier today.....completely different thoughts though...I was thinking, has there really ever been a QB run it in the NFL that was a legitimate recieving option? That could be a whole new wrinkle...not only do you get an extra blocker...you keep that defender out of the play.

7. Mr772

Mr772 New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    When you have a QB that has the passing skills of Tannehill you don't put him at risk by having him run at LB's. If he has to run to buy time or if a play breaks down that's one thing, but why risk a franchise QB by asking him to run the ball by design??

8. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    I wonder how much the wildcat will be seen in Miami now that old regime is gone.I'm sure the Jets will still be running it !

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Aaron Rodgers is a 'pretty mobile guy' true enough but there's a difference between a 'pretty mobile guy' (who runs in the low 4.7's) and a guy that used to be his team's leading wide receiver and probably runs in the low 4.5's when his foot isn't freshly broken.

Mike Sherman installed some zone-read at Texas A&M. I think they'll do some of that in Miami as well.

10. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I would love to put Ryan on the field as a wide receiver and have him run the fly sweep. He's fast enough and has good enough run instincts to be a threat running the ball, and he is uniquely good at throwing the football with accuracy while on the run.

That's a highly uncommon combination. That's one of the problems with the wildcat to begin with.

Hell you put him on the field with David Garrard and Garrard is actually athletic enough to release out on a pattern after he hands the ball to Tannehill on the fly sweep. A little A-11 offense in Miami. Why not?

11. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Tannehill:

1)he's capable of many things & will present many options to the new offense. the sky is the limit with what he potentially brings to the table.

2) I do not think you have to "protect" a young player, you need to play him & play to win. MY only concern is that he's not thrown over his head too quickly with the weight of the franchise on his shoulders. I'd like to see him in some capacity playing from day-one, gradually gaining his sea legs before the NFL begins to rock the boat too much as we introduce our new offense. Shula sat out Marino the first half of the season for this very reason.

3) in boxing, you bring a young fighter along gradually. the first ten bouts are continually upgraded to keep him confident while improving. the QB position fits the boxing analogy perfectly

12. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    he should only get significant playing time or starting if it's a 100%, clear cut situation where he was better than Garrard or Moore. I don't want to see him get Beck'd.

13. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Although you're obviously joking about the A-11 but I'm definitely NOT a traditionalist when it comes to offense. Any way you can move the ball and confuse the defense you should. I would actually love a Tannehill/Garrard formation.

14. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I dont think you should risk your Franchise QB's health by putting him in a gimmick formation.

15. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That is a legit concern. Tebow is a freak who can run it more, but I wouldn't use Tannehill in the same way. My goal would be to minimize hits. I expect some zone read. Tannehill can read the end and probably gain about 5 yards before sliding and avoiding any contact if he's conservative. I also expect the Dolphins to do a ton of sprint out passes where Tannehill will have a run/pass option. If the outside WR goes more than 10 yards, Tannehill could probably gain 5 yards before running out of bounds and not getting hit at all. If Gates is the outside guy and the CB is already back, that can turn into 10-15 yards pretty easily. I think those two types of plays can provide easy, low risk yards that keep the offense on schedule. And if the defenders start keying the run quicker, the pass can be open for some big gains.

djphinfan likes this.