1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tannehill the O.C.?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by bbqpitlover, Oct 20, 2017.

1. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    This may explain why play calling has been so bad this year.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article180031326.html

Gase also joked that Tannehill knows the right way to diffuse his easily animated coach “when I’m going off the rails.”

This is all good stuff, of course — assuming Tannehill is nimble enough to protect himself on the sideline. While he has moved around the practice field and locker room relatively well in an athletic sleeve, the speed of games might be too much for him at times.

That’s why Gase “pretty much have said that to him every week [to] ‘stay out of the way,’” the coach said Friday.

Gase added: “Any time we’ve got a guy down there that’s coming off an injury, that’s the last thing that you want to see is something else happen. He’s staying away from the play for the most part. I think sometimes he creeps a little too close to where you’ve got to remind him. For him, he feels like he’s already alright and he’s doing a lot of the things that it looks like he’s alright but we just know that it’s a process. We’ve still got a ways to go.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article180031326.html#storylink=cpy

2. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Good read- that explains why Tannehill was throwing and moving around the field pre-game last week. He thinks he's ready to play, even though he's clearly not. Good attitude to have though.

3. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Mental reps are vastly underrated. If he returns to 100% physical form, we will have a top 10 QB on our hands.

ChrisKo, Rocky Raccoon and Puka-head like this.
  4. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I agree, he's doing everything right as far as I can see. I would think that watching Cutler from the bench would also be a powerful learning experience if he chooses to use it that way.

Irishman, Unlucky 13 and Puka-head like this.
  5. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    He should get up in the booth. He could learn a LOT from that point of view.
    I would pray he learns nothing except for how to NOT do ish from Cutler honestly. Don't think there is a single part of Cutlers game that Tannehill isn't quantitatively better at. Except being a tool. Cutler is way better at that.

6. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Agreed. As much as it sucks not having him this year, I do believe there is a silver lining in him seeing the game from a different point of view for the first time. He's been the starter since day 1 and never had the chance to just watch things unfold from the sidelines. This season allows him to soak up a different perspective that can help him grow more.

KeyFin likes this.
  7. Dolphin North

Dolphin North Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Climbing the pocket and sliding laterally to buy time and find throwing lanes. This is not going to go over well with some, but he could learn a lot there, even from Cutler.

8. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Agreed. Everybody can learn something. Tannehill is a far better QB than Cutler, but Cutler climbs the pocket better and gets the ball out quicker. I don't agree that Cutler slides laterally well or better than Tannehill.

eltos_lightfoot and resnor like this.