1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sweeney Todd

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Vengeful Odin, Apr 1, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    So I picked this movie up today, not knowing a lot about it, and just finished watching it. Here's my thoughts:

I knew it was a Tim Burton / Johnny Depp collaboration, so my expectations were pretty high going in. I have to say that I was not disappointed. I enjoyed Depp immensely, Helena Bonham-Carter and Alan Rickman were both great as well. It's a tough film to classify - a genre bending "Musical Thriller" according to the slipcase - which I guess is pretty accurate. Visually it's enjoyable, and I would agree with the Art Direction awards that it's won. I don't know if it will appeal to everyone - there's not a lot of folks out there that will enjoy a singing horror film - but if you like Burton, and you're willing to roll with the film, you'll be in for a treat.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has seen this, and what your thoughts are on it as well.

2. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    This movie is an under-appreciated gem. Alot of people were put off that most of the dialog was sung, but they should have known better since it was a movie adaptation of the Broadway play.

Very well done, well cast, and captured the atmosphere of the story perfectly.

Two thumbs up.

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  3. FinsPensFan

FinsPensFan Professional Slacker

Dec 21, 2007
    Wheeling, WV
    I really enjoyed it.

4. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Rented it today haven't watched it yet.

5. quelonio

quelonio Season Ticket Holder

Nov 27, 2007
    Here's my thing... and I must point out I am the biggest tim burton apologist that I know, and he does a good job. It is greatly acted, well shot, the art is amazing, the problem is the musical itself (at least for me). The songs are just not very good... the music is just dissappointing, I know this is Sondheim, and after the lyrics he wrote for West Side Story, you gots to expect he will be good... but I was dissappointed in the music and songs for Sweeney todd.

6. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008

Sums up how I felt about the movie completely. I saw it in theaters and was really unsure what to expect. I liked it, but wasnt thrilled by it and felt the music for the most part was pretty mediocre. The movie looks pretty amazing, which is really what saved it for me.

maynard likes this.
  7. ChrisKo

ChrisKo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Desert
    Haven't seen the film yet, but I didn't realize that Sondheim did it. West Side Story is amazing, so I'm really shocked to hear you say this it's a disappointment.

I would have sworn it's a Danny Elfman production only because there aren't many Burton films without an Elfman score. And I'm a HUGE HUGE HUGE Elfman fan. Even back in the Oingo Bingo days. Guess I'll reserve judgment at this time, because I too am a HUGE Tim Burton apologist and if Elfman is attached, all the more better.

8. ChrisKo

ChrisKo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Desert
    Hmmm, just looked on IMDB and it does in fact appear that Elfman was not attached to the project. Bad Tim,bad bad, very bad!!!

So I guess that explains a lot to me. I think all of Tim's movies with the excpetion of "Ed Wood" and maybe his old Disney film ("Frankenweenie") were all scored by Elfman.

Guess I'll still bump it up on my Netflix queue, but my excitement for the film has dropped greatly.

9. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    I actually had assumed Elfman did the music on this also.

10. finattic79

finattic79 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    I saw it in the movie theaters, I enjoyed the movie, and will be renting it to watch again.

11. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    I originally went to see this movie just because of Johnny Depp, Jim Burton, and the fact that there would be an overload of killings. However, I came away surprised at how great of a movie it turned out to be. I mean, a musical? That turned me off as soon as I saw the tag, but the story plays itself out in regular fashion. Great movie -- can't wait for it to make it's way to the "Big Blu"

12. quelonio

quelonio Season Ticket Holder

Nov 27, 2007
    Well it's originally a Sondheim musical. I actually think this is Sondheim;s first musical ever as both the music writer and the song writer. He is a master lyricist, there is no doubt about that, he has always been one, his lyrics for West Side Story where just masterful. But you are not necessarily a great music writer because you understand how to write great lyrics.

Still, I mean it is a well made movie. The source is what is dissappointing to me.

13. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    See, that's kind of what I thought as well, but I've been singing the songs all day at work (and getting strange looks in the process). I agree in principle that perhaps some of the lyrical content could improve, but I thought the score itself was tremendous. (I even found myself checking IMDB to see if Elfman was involved). I found the "Johanna" melody to be particularly catching ... but again, I could be weird.

14. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    Same here, but most of my friends thought it sucked because they were expecting more blood and less singing :rolleyes: