1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suprising Stats on Miami's Pass Attack

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GMJohnson, Jun 28, 2013.

1. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    According to Football Outsiders, Miami ranked 3rd in the NFL in YPA via the play-action pass. Only the Broncos and Redskins ranked higher. Interestingly, Miami ranked 3rd best in YPA but 4th WORST in % of pass plays where play action was used. Washington and Denver ranked 1st and 5th in that category, respectively, with Seattle, Minnesota, Carolina and San Fran rounding out the top 6. Miami was also far more successful on play action than on drop back passes, their efficiency gap between the two ranked 3rd highest in the league, behind only Washington and Arizona.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/2012-play-action-offense

RG3, Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, Adrian Peterson, Colin Kaepernick, easy to see why those teams were successful with play action. Manning might be the best play action QB of all time. Those teams milked play action for all it was worth, Miami used it sparingly by comparison.

Why would Sherman use play action so effectively and yet so infrequently? And how will those stats be impacted by the newly acquired receivers?

Phyl, Eop05, ToddPhin and 6 others like this.
  2. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    As to why he would use PA so infrequently its because he probably started to go away from it once we were behind in games last year. Thats just a guess. Ive seen a lot of coaches do that over the years.

It was probably effective for a few reasons. One our reputation last year was that we were a grinding, running team. Look at our skill players last year. Our most feared weapon was Bush. Our WR's and TE's scared no one until Hartline started playing well and that didnt exactly put the fear of God in opponents. Tannehill also carried out fakes really well. Combine those factors and teams probably were selling out to stop the run leaving a lot of man coverage.

Our new weapons are going to help PA a lot imo. Keller can work the seems. Wallace gets downfield as well as anyone. Gibson has size that Bess just doesnt have. Hartline now has players around and should see coverage vs opponents 2nd best CB's. As long as Tannehill continues to improve in all facets we're on our way up.

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    TBH, thought Sherman wanted THill to develop as a pocket passer w/o play action first and foremost, he wanted him to learn to survey the field more quickly.

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I've talked about this before but Ryan Tannehill's play-action passer rating was the fourth highest in the league last year at 121.2.

However, his non-play-action passer rating was the third LOWEST in the league at a mere 67.7.

And you're right, Miami didn't seem to utilize play-action enough. I suppose they didn't anticipate there would be such a disparity between their success.

mbsinmisc likes this.
  5. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Hey CK...

Typically....when a team is looking at their own statistics..like is shown above, how long would they wait before reading anything into them, and making a change based on that. Having a seasons worth of data, youd think Sherman would adjust his offense to allow more PA, but, wouldnt they wait until they collected a good amount of that data before doing that? I hope I worded that correctly..lol.

6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I expect a big increase in PA from Miami this year. I'm envisioning a ton of middle runs and middle run fakes where RT either hits quick passes to Keller or Gibson or zone reads and keeps it and runs around the end. And obviously a few of those where RT PAs and then throws it deep to Wallace. I see that middle run as the planned staple of our offense. That's why Miller is so important. If he continues to be what he was last year but with a heavier workload and obviously RT continues to develop then we could see a big offensive jump this year.

7. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I think we are gonna see a big jump...."if everyone is healthy" just because the freakin field is gonna be opened up. Having Wallace is gonna be huge...takes the top off..but...I really think having Kellar in there is gonna be even more beneficial. I mean..if you look back ....through the years....when is the last time we saw our team have the potential...to have so much open space on the field? I really cant remember the last time. Has to be back when Marino was here...

8. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Part of the reason it was so effective was probably because it was used so infrequently. Since we didn't use it much, it would probably catch teams off guard more than most.

I would guess that we avoided using it much that way we didn't have to make Tannehill turn his back to te defense during his rookie year.

Samphin, Phyl, normaldude and 2 others like this.
  9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't know. I imagine many teams would not adjust based on statistics period but would rather adjust based on their own observations of what their players do well and what they don't. They should be adjusting every week based on that.

10. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    This is definitely true, that's why it so puzzling that there wasn't more play action.

11. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    How about some more screens?

12. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Dan Henning finds the bolded absolutley ridiculous.

FinsUp likes this.
  13. NUGap

NUGap Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 29, 2012
    I can answer this a bit. As of now, teams that are "statistically challenged" (read they don't have an analytics department) do a little bit of statistics from week to week. At least one team does basic scouting with 'stats' on their opponent. In their scouting report they'll note what a QB's rating is in certain situations (3rd downs, 1st quarter), etc. It's nothing advanced, but they do put a bit of work in on their opponent. As I understand, quality control coaches do a bit of statistics on their own team, but they're often couched within the week's reports rather than a standalone recommendation.

I do know that the Dolphins are getting a little bit more wise to the analytics game. As far as I know they're not creating an analytics department, but they're talking with the relevant people, consulting around, etc. I expect they'll have access to more advanced data starting this season. How they'll use it, I have no clue.

14. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Do you think the play action game will improve, or will teams show more respect to the pass game now that Wallace & co. are on board?

15. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IIRC screens were a big part of the GB offense when Sherman was there and later when Philbin was the OC. We also have focused on more mobile lineman since the coaching change (with Pouncey already in place as one of the best pulling Cs). The second year in the system should make the timing easier as well. (Screens are largely about timing). All that makes it seem likely that we'll see more screens. It would be a nice constraint play if we had just tried some deep PA plays. I could see Wallace creating a ton of space for the screen to work.

16. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    lmfao.

SICK likes this.
  17. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Wish I had this data available. One of the few things my database is missing.

18. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Good stuff. I'm hoping to see more screens, in addition to the stuff you mentioned in your first post. Watching the Redskins, those were staples for their offense. They killed people with zone read and play action off of it, usually with a dig-post combo or a screen. It was very simple and yet very difficult to defend. The fakes held the LBs long enough for TE's to leak behind them and most teams brought a safety into the box to play the cutback and/or RG3 on the keeper, a prefect set of circumstances for Wallace and Keller if we can force defenses to do the same.

Bpk and rafael like this.
  19. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think the Dolphins are probably going to shape up to use more PA than last year. I think this team is going to look a lot more similar to the Texan than the Packers. They seem to be orienting more towards I-form/2-TE packages, and the play action I think would ease some of the route issues with Mike Wallace.

GMJohnson likes this.
  20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    B/c play action takes the Qb's off of the Defense, they may not have been comfortable with THill's ability to do that early in the season and still read the Defense quickly and make the proper decision.

Bpk likes this.
  21. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    All the more reason to sign the FB. That will enhance the running game even more and therefore enhance the play action even more.

I'm not one to make a lot of predictions. But, if we sign Leach and remain healthy (always a significant "if" in the NFL), I think we will finish within a game of the pats (+ or - or =).

Bpk likes this.
  22. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    Tannehill felt uncomfortable in the pocket. His lack of mobility in the pocket made the OL look bad and at times the blocking was pretty bad and that made him gun shy and dump off even during the times when he had decent blocking and more time to survey the field. The play action cuts the field in half but it gavee him more time. I think the play action was successful due to poor OL blocking and Tannehill's lack of pocket awareness and confidence in his protection.

23. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Yessir. I like the 2 TE package w/ Keller and Clay. It's not exactly Gronk and Hernandez but w/ that group we can go pro set/I, 2TE, 3x1, 4 wide or even empty, depending on how the defense reacts. The Houston comparison is a good one, perhaps with some of the Redskins zone read & screen stuff plus a little Pats style no huddle/up tempo.

24. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    As I watch the NFL Network top 10 players thing they just showed Aldon Smith destroy Martin on the way to getting Tannehill in the pocket I read this haha

25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    AS if Martin was the only LT that A Smith beat last yr.

cuchulainn likes this.
  26. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Or you look at the entirety of your passing options on many plays was Hartline and Bess who get virtually no separation, let alone get it quickly. Tannheill was 30th in the league with amount of time to throw. That means he had very little time, less than 2.5 seconds little. And what little time he had, he had to buy more with a gimp knee most of the season.

I think a whole lot of people are about to be amazed how much of his "faults" are going to vanish this year with a real supporting cast of skill players.

27. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I hear you man but the timing was funny though, also Smith didn't dominate everyone like he did Martin on that one play I was referring to, there is a reason that was the first highlight

28. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Waste of time and resources..

29. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Having access to more information is never a waste of time and resources.

WhiteIbanez and Fin D like this.
  30. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    When it comes to making a personnel decisions, waste of time, if your telling me it can sway your decision making I would want no part of you on a scouting staff.

The only stats that matter in today's game are that of Pff, but I really don't consider the numbers they produce Stats..the numbers your talking about do not take into account variables..

31. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I agree. I didn't see lack of mobility in the pocket from RT except when he was injured. What I saw was him getting back there on quick passes and having to hold the ball b/c the receiver wasn't open when he was ready to release and then having the protection break down as he went to the second read.

Fin D and Bpk like this.
  32. NUGap

NUGap Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 29, 2012
    I know everyone has their own opinions on analytics, stats, etc. Some choose to utilize them heavily, some lightly, some not at all. I'll just say, the NFL is trending that way. At least 20 teams use some package of data. The 49ers have been heavily into analytics for years now (see the panel from this year's Sloan Conference) and have had some good results. Off the top of my head the Bears, Jags, Bills, Browns, Ravens, and 49ers all have some sort of dedicated analytics departments. Those are just the first.

I know a team's FO that was interested in establishing analytics within their organization. Here's the basic rundown of what they're looking at:

• Use for advance opponent scouting. Look at opponent's trends to take advantage of weaknesses, strengths, etc. They do this on a small scale now, but would potentially ramp it up.
    • Use in personnel decision making. IE...draft and free agency. Similar to some of the stuff I have posted, but more tailored to a team's needs
    • Use in player valuation. A little bit like Moneyball or what PFF does with their performance over value rankings.
    Aside from that, at least one other recently successful team that I know of is working on putting together an analytics department now. Hate it, love it - analytics are permeating the NFL and will become a bigger and bigger part of teams. Football metrics will never predict well like in baseball, but teams seem to believe more information is better.

Eop05 and Anonymous like this.
  33. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It can, as what happens is a flood of information comes in and finding the useful from the useless tends to get more difficult as more information is added.

34. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Again, more information is never a bad thing. You can combine the scouts mind as well as the statistics to come to the best conclusion possible.

Fin D likes this.
  35. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    That happens if you are careless and unorganized. I doubt that happens within leagues such as the NFL, NBA and MLB. They can handle that much information. Anything to improve the team.

Fin D likes this.
  36. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I'm of the belief that too much info is often a bad thing. What matters is relevant, or in the case of scouting, predictive info. IMO most of the stuff people post about when looking at QB prospects is useless, for example. It makes people feel smart or informed but it just clouds the issue. I remember getting into debates about Kaepernick's release and throwing motion. My position was that it was fast enough so nothing else about his release mattered. But others did all kinds of film study and nitpicked at reasons he would fail. IMO they had too much info and b/c of that made the wrong call. Usually you only need a few pieces of key info. The rest is unnecessary. The trick is figuring out which is which.

37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I can see it in terms of scouting an opponents weakness, but here's why I say waste of time, because your still going to have to do the film work on all counts..personnel, opponents weaknesses..free agency...and if any staff is making blind decisions off stats, they won't have their positions very long..

I'm open minded, give me a scenario where using stats will save me time.?

38. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Agreed on all counts Rafs..

I remember that long debate about his release..it fooled a lot of folks, a lot of respected ones as well..

rafael likes this.
  39. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Lol... I Think Rafs summed it up well..

Listen, some can use their metrics, analytics, stats, I'll do things my way, and we'll see who gets 'em right more than wrong...

I will say that PFF stuff, blows any stat monkeys *** up.

40. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Didnt we run a play action Hail Mary one year?