1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super sleeper...and I mean super sleeper...QB

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by my 2 cents, Feb 10, 2009.

1. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    I have been doing a vast amount of film watching for a project and was watching Duke Robinson, Iglesias, and Loadholt and someone caught my eye as I fast forwarded in a couple blow out games ... so I checked some DVD's of some real action against Texas Tech and Miami ... and the kid caught my eye again.

Now this is a real stretch I admit...but given Matt Cassell's success I am a least a little intrigued by this kids potential and some of the "buried" backup CFB QB's....I am speaking of Joey Halzle, backup QB at Oklahoma. I dug some more and found his background interesting. Halzle was a three star HS recruit out of Huntington Beach, California (recruited by ASU, Cal, UCLA, and Washington) that went to Golden West CC, where he threw 18 TD's versus 4 Ints, and threw for 2,000 yards. Not great numbers but very efficient in a running offense. He was the #91 JC recruit by Rivals and was highly recruited by OU and Michigan. He ran a 4.58 and benched 185 22 times and ran a 4.3 shuttle...fairly impressive numbers. He is 6-4 and listed at 205..he does look skinny.

He committed to OU and lost out to a freshman named Sam Bradford in the spring. When I viewed the Tapes I saw a strong arm than can get the ball outside the hash. Now he looked shaky in his first big time action against TT but grew tremendously in that game alone. He showed good touch and slid in the pocket and found the TE in the between the hash on more than one occasion. H?e looked like a different player after the first 10 minuets. Where he looks a bit strange is in his footwork...he stands with very little foot movement almost like he is in cement but has a nice step, rotation and compact 3/4 delivery. Obviously he is athletic...now one of the easiest things to teach is footwork when there is little in the way of bad feet to undo.

I see a kid with enough arm, nice height, room to fill out, pretty good mechanics, very good athlete and no experience..obviously a FA type...but I liked what I saw...but there is very little to see. Con, Boomer, CK, Big Red and some others are the draft experts and I would be interested to hear what any OU fans or anyone that has those tapes see's in this guy.......

PhinsRock and Nappy Roots like this.
  2. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I was amazed to hear that Matt Cassell never had a chance to start that much in high school or college because he was always behind someone, but sometimes a guy slips through the cracks. You have to wonder if guys like get will even get a call to go to the combines. There always is a chance to make it as an unsigned free agent like Devone Bess did for us last year.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  3. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Did you forward your tapes to Jeff and Bill?