1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunday Morning Dolphin

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Jan 22, 2012.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Long offseason, so I thought it would be fun to just have a weekly thread concerning all things Dolphins:

-Joe Philbin hired, while a great hire, anyone else notice it did not have much splash on ESPN etc?

-Championship Game weekend, fmr Dolphins who are playing:

Patriots:

-Rob Ninkovich
    -Wes Welker
    -Donald Thomas

Ravens

-Brandon Ayanbadejo
    -Ricky Williams

49ers:

-Justin Peele
    -Ted Ginn, though I suspect he won't play, his knee is giving him problems

-For all of the talk of having staff in place prior to the Senior Bowl, Philbin will not be attending the game, he will be moving his family down to S Florida, he has 3 children still of school age living at home

-I checked the packers FA list, Flynn, Finley and Scott Wells are the only real names on it:

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=By+Team&y=2012

-For fun, the Bengals Db Coach is being looked at for DC, if rumors are correct, look at their FA list:

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=By+Team&y=2012

Huge list of FA's, huge, looks like their entire secondary is hitting FA aside from Taylor Mays

-I suspect we see the Patriots in the SB, oh joy, but it will hurt their draft position, well, no they traded for more picks in this draft as well, one of the more interesting aspects of GB's run is they have found scrap heap guys who can play quickly, which we absolutely need to beat the Patriots, for the draftniks, if every pick matters what happens when your opponent has twice as many picks, and their depth chart is loaded with high draft picks at the #2 and #3 depth positions?

-pity we missed out on Khalif Mitchell, but he always was a bit nutty.

-Ireland has said Philbin is in total control of the systems the team uses and staff hiring, I'll believe that when I see it, add in Philbin emphasized pursuit being a main quality he wanted in the Defense, which also goes against Ireland's "Big Man Game" theory, should make for an interesting offseason, Ireland also said his job is to scout for guys for Philbin, we shall see.

FA: March 13, 4 pm, or about 45 days from now.

Trowa, dolfan7171, Aquafin and 2 others like this.
  2. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    great idea Pad

I dont care about splash anymore. I just want substance and Philbin appears to be substance

3. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Why wouldn't Philbin be in control of those things?

Really not Ross' style.

4. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Padre, like above post I love around the league updates especially when they are dolphin heavy.

Anyone prediction?

Ravens 27
    patsies 14

San Fran 30
    giants 27

Its gonna be a family Super Bowl folks!!!!

dolfan7171 likes this.
  5. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    In the sense that family will finally be able to see each other, as no one will watch 49er's vs. Ravens.

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Pats 35
    Ravens 20

Giants 24
    49ers 10

About Philbin, I wonder is he was privvy to the packers draft strategy?

7. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I think you need to see who Ireland actually brought in last year after Parcells was gone. That pretty much goes against your statement. Ireland when given the chance brought in players that operate well in space. Obviously, your entitled to believe what you want but I think this year's draft will also prove that statement to again be a falsehood.

ToddsPhins, MrClean, Trowa and 4 others like this.
  8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thomas, Wilson, Kearse, Pouncey (who was overdrafted imo), the only actual speed he brought in was Gates, arguably Pouncey.

9. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    I admitt I am warming up to this hire as coach Padre I love your post because you are honest. especially the draft statement.as for not being a impact on espn , thats because Joe Pa passed away so there is your reason for not being a topic.Philbin is a good dude and I think he will succeed here if Ireland doesnt screw up the draft.

10. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    I imagine Ireland's career as a Dolphin GM is tied to Philbin having success so even if final say is Ireland's I would imagine it is in Ireland's best interest to do whatever Philbin thinks is best.

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not quite so Aquafin, normally a new HC hire for the Dolphins leads off the top of the hour and bottom of the hour news updates, we had maybe 4 of those, then we were shuffled off of the rotation, that is how it goes.

I also think Philbin is spending time studying Henne and Moore's play, he is in the process of moving to S Florida but there is normally lots of wait time in that process, with the usage of Ipads, all of that game film is easily accessable.

Could be wrong of course.

12. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    I like this idea for a thread. Keep it going Padre. As for splash on ESPN, that doesn't matter. Like someone said recently, the Miami Dolphins have won the press conference before (Johnson, Saban, Parcells) and where did it get us in the past?

jsizzle, MrClean, Aquafin and 2 others like this.
  13. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    For reference sake, here is the list of our FA this off-season with Restricted Free Agents noted.

Chad Henne
    J.P. Losman
    Steve Slaton
    Lex Hilliard (RFA)
    Lydon Murtha (RFA)
    Vernon Carey
    Ikaika Alama-Francis
    Paul Soliai
    Kendall Langford
    Phillip Merling
    Marvin Mitchell
    Will Allen

14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Langford and Soliai are the best free agents to sign. I would also like to bring back Marvin Mitchell and Lyndon Murtha.

15. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Langford and Soliai are really only worth resigning if we continue to run the 3-4 defense.

16. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Resign: Mitchell, Langford, and Soliai
    Let walk: Carey, Losman, Allen

17. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    First priority in the offseason trade for Pollard the Patiort killer.

Trowa likes this.
  18. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    I don't think that philbin was aware of the packer draft strategy, to reply to you padre...

Also I think we should let Paul go resign Langford and resign hilliard. Draft a DT there will be a solid option when we draft at 8-9 in the Illinois guy correct me if I'm wrong

19. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    damn that first post of Trowa 's couldnt have hit the nail in the head any better. man i must be sick if I agree Trowa.

20. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I don't agree. It is more about what technique the DL are playing than whether it is a 3 or 4 man front. In a 4-3 in an odd front, one DT could be playing 1 technique, which would best suit Soliai. Langford could play 3 technique pretty well in any 4-3 front IMO, which is basically where both your DTs line up in an even front. IMO, all 4 of Langford, Starks, Odrick and McDaniel would be solid DTs in a 4-3.
    Another thought on Soliai, his skill set and physical traits are reminiscent to Tim Bowens, who played in a 4-3 his entire career. Early on, Tim played 3 technique, while Chuck Klingbeil played a tilt tackle 1 technique next to him.

Trowa and ToddsPhins like this.
  21. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Whitney Mercilus is more a 4-3 end or a 3-4 olb, not a DT.

22. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    I told you I make good posts when I'm not trolling Seth...or Larry.