1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sun Sentinel 7/28 update/NT news

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, Jul 28, 2008.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    After closely monitoring the line play for the past four practice I've discovered C Samson Satele can't handle NT Jason Ferguson one-on-one. Ferguson puts him on skates in passing downs, and one-on-one drills. I'm struggling to figure out if this is a good thing or a bad thing for the Dolphins. You tell me

By contrast, Satele handles Paul Soliai with ease. (It's not looking too good for his fellow Samoan....

The top performer of the day was Derek Hagan, who caught everything thrown his way, and made some really nice catches in traffic, and against tight coverage. First, McCown connected on a drag to Hagan, who was playing the slot.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2008/07/dolphins-prac-2.html

texasPHINSfan and HULKFish like this.
  2. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    Great news about Hagan. Not too worried about Satele. This guy played pretty good last year and only got better. Maybe Ferguson is just that good. It might bear watching though.

3. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Hagan would be a star if he could just catch the ball

4. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Good to see, I really hope Beck overcomes those struggles and finds his way. He is a good guy, a smart guy, just needs to internalize what he sees happening a little quicker.

I'm pumped! Wore my Dolphins polo to work today for the first time this year in honor of training camp! Let's get this going!

5. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    I thought thats the purpose of the NT, to tie up multiple blockers. If Samson could handle the NT one-on-one wouldn't our 3-4 be doomed?

Lab3003 likes this.
  6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Great question that i have no answer for...

Is samson getting dominated by ferguson good or bad for our team? i have no clue.

7. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    I would say it depends on how often he gets schooled.

If its every single play then I would say "Yes, its a concern", not a major concern, but a concern...

If its every so often, then no big deal....

8. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    It's a good thing. Ferguson will teach him hand fighting techniques that the other young guys are not capable of yet. 6 weeks of this in training camp will allow Samson to take another big step during the season. Brick by brick...

cnc66 likes this.
  9. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I know what you mean.

I find myself asking the question: Was I too high on Satele or was I just undervaluing Ferguson?

Either way, strong competition will only help both of them. I just don't want Satele to get constantly beat down and discouraged. Although I doubt that would happen bc I don't think he has the personality or mentality to let that happen.

I wonder if McKinney or anyone else is getting work at C against Ferguson.

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    There was a depth chart article that revealed where the players stand at their positions. McKinney was listed second behind Satele at Center.

11. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I just mean I wonder if McKinney is getting thrown around like Satele. If he is then itd be a sign of Ferguson just being beastly. If not, Ferguson could just be capitalizing on the rookie inexperience of Satele.

12. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I LOVE the fact that Robert Ferguson is owning Samson at the moment, a 2nd year player's biggest problem is complacency, after all, they had a great rookie year...right?

Now that Samson S. is getting schooled, he will have to work that much harder to improve, no professional Olineman wants to be schooled day after day after day, they should have too much pride for that to happen.

Samson Satele will start winning those battles soon enough, I bet it pisses him off at the moment though...:lol:

13. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    Yeah, I think it probably more that Ferguson has skills then Satele not being any good. I also agree that this will only make Satele that much better.

14. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think the one thing we seem to be losing track of here is that the offense is notoriously behind the D early in TC...Is Satele having issues with Ferguson because he's not capable ?? Or is it because he is supposed to be getting help from the guard next to him ?? Or because he is not making the right line calls ?? Or is this just happening in drills and not in simulated plays ?? Let's just give the O and particularly the OL a little time to gel. We all feel that the OL has improved simply because of the improved talent, but it will still take time to meld together...

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Fixed.:up:

You keep saying Robert, who plays for the Vikings. :up:

padre31 likes this.
  16. StLouisFinFan

StLouisFinFan New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    It's not good, it's great. Satele did very well for himself last year as a rookie. Getting the crap kicked out him day after day will only make him better, and he'll thank Jason for it. That Samoan pride will see to it that he'll figure Furgeson out, or at least be able to handle his own, and we'll have ourselves a top shelf center.

17. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Satele can only get better by practcing against Ferguson.