1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid Question about Car Audio Systems

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by slickj101, Jun 2, 2008.

1. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Is it a complete necessity to replace a stock CD player when your adding a system to your car? I know that most cars dont have the right wiring for a lot of systems but I dont know the specifics.

I'm trying to put in a 12inch Kicker Sub with a 460watt Power Acoustic Amp into an 05 Impala. Gracias.

2. bkbuffet

bkbuffet Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    The big question is whether or not your stock CD player has the inputs for a amp or not.
    If it does, then you should be fine. If not, it's going to depend on what inputs are available on the CD player.

slickj101 likes this.
  3. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I'm not sure. I've got the stock in and it's an 05 Impala. Any idea how I'd be able to tell?

4. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    ok here's the skinny.

you can put in a sub & amp with a stock headunit... but the question is, do you really want to? virtually NO stock headunits have RCA inputs (what you need to plug in the patch cables to the amp to send the audio signal).... so you have to run stereo-level inputs (taps into your rear OEM speakers)... this of course alters your ability to adjust the gain and balance/fader properly with the subwoofer.

CAN you do it? yes.

DO you want to do it? probably not.

I would recommend getting an aftermarket headunit not just for the inputs to run the sub, but for the cleaner signal. an aftermarket unit will have a more clean signal pushing directly to your sub, and have its own crossover built-in to the headunit so you won't have to hope the amp has an effective one.

slickj101 likes this.