1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STUPID Bowl games

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by The_Dark_Knight, Jan 2, 2013.

1. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    If you're my age, you remember once upon a time when a Bowl game actually MEANT something. If you played in a Bowl game, it meant your team was one of the elite and was rewarded with a Bowl bid and depending on the team's ranking, a chance at being crowned National Champion.

Today, we have the Bowl Championship Series, a debacle designed to math up the number 1 and 2 ranked teams in the actual national championship game, making all other Bowl games relatively insignificant. The number 3 through whatever ranked teams will never be afforded the opportunity to earn that illustrious title and as such, the flood gate of STUPID Bowl games has ensued.

As a kid growing up, THE Bowl games were the Rose, Sugar, Cotton and Orange Bowls. The behind them were the relatively lesser Bowl games of the Gator, Sun, Independence and Fiesta Bowls. Oh and as a note? Each of these Bowl games had sponsors, but they were known by their actual name not the "Nokia Sugar Bowl" or the "FedEx Orange Bowl". In this day and age of Bowl stupidity, I at least tip my hat to the Rose Bowl. This year's game is the "Rose Bowl, presented by Vizio" and not the sponsor name first.

Bowl games now have gotten SO out of hand is stupidity is beyond measure. At last count, I counted 35 Bowl games this year; 35 games in which 70 college teams will or have gone head to head in such illustrious games as the...

-GoDaddy.com Bowl
    -Heart of Dallas Bowl
    -Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl
    -Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl
    -Maaco Bowl
    -Belk Bowl
    -Bell Helicopter Bowl
    -Pinstripe Bowl
    -Alamo Bowl
    -Chick-fil-a Bowl

Really? Because of this stupidity, I hardly ever watch college football anymore, especially the Bowl season. And if the ridiculous invented Bowl games weren't enough, the match-ups are even MORE ridiculous!

Take for instance the Rose Bowl, considered by legendary Keith Jackson as "The Grand Daddy of them all"...where national championships have been decided and every year there is a prestigious New Years Day parade named after the game. This year's prestigious game featured #6 ranked Stanford versus unranked Wisconsin. One of the more historical Bowl games that should be considered a reward for well played football featured one top 10 team and another unranked. And because of Stanford's win at this game against an undeserving team, some sports writers are claiming that due to Stanford's win, they should be considered one of the elite teams in the nation. Really? They beat a team they were predetermined to beat, by matching them against a nobody and they should be considered elite? This would the NFL equivalent of matching the Washington Redskins against the Kansas City Chiefs, the Redskins win and they should be considered one of the league's elite. Again, STUPID!

I pray to God that when the NCAA does institute its playoff system, these stupid Bowl game go to the wayside!

2. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    5 BCS Bowl games that SHOULD be the main attraction and instead we get 3 crap games.
    Stanford vs 8-5 Wisconsin
    FSU vs Northern Illinois <snore>
    Florida vs #21 Louisville who lost 2 of final 3 games. Seriously?

They're killing the allure of these games and making many of them flat out boring to watch, not to mention these pansy games make it all but guaranteed that any team ranked behind Stanford, UF, and FSU won't be moving ahead of them, which is BS and unfair to those other teams.

3. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I welcome more bowl games if it means more football.

4. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Yeah, try telling that to teams that haven't been there in ages that finally made one this year. It's an amazing experience for those teams.

Skeet84 likes this.
  5. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    You're against this one? Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl

I'll take the stupid bowl name if it benefits their program.

Stitches and BlameItOnTheHenne like this.
  6. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    The Rose parade started way before the bowl game (12 years before). The bowl game is named after the parade, not the other way around, and was started as a way to fund the parade.

Skeet84 likes this.
  7. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I will say, it does make me shake my head every time I see one of the big bowls called by its sponsor's name, like during last night's pregame where the announcer says something like "Welcome to the 78th Discover Orange Bowl". Wrong mother******. It's the 78th ORANGE BOWL. Discover has been here 2 years.

8. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

You forgot the Bluebonnet Bowl. I remember watching that one.

9. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Louisville resents your remark :shifty:

10. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Aren't these essentially hand picked? Why are so many of these games u competitive?