1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stephen Ross is a schmuck.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Vinny Fins, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'm getting a headache from all of you standing on this make-believe pedestal. don't be so naive, this is how business works, not just in the NFL. Tony's severance package is bigger than anything any of us will ever get. If he did a great job, it would be different, but he was terrible. He deserves to be replaced. At least this way, he still has a tiny shot to keep his job.

It's not like he will be getting another HC job if he gets fired.

Auburn and Pariah like this.
  2. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Vinny, did you...me...or anyone else here sit down in the meeting between Sparano and Ross?

A dime to a dollar says Ross has already told Sparano he's looking for another head coach. Ross MAY have offered Sparano a position on the coachinig staff of the new head coach.

Your problem is not that Stephen Ross is "doing business the wrong way"

Your problem is you, like me and every other Dolphins fan don't know what's going on.

Releax dude. Not everythinig is a conspiracy.

late again likes this.
  3. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Tony Sparano is fortunate to even have a chance of still being an NFL head coach and I'm sure he realizes that. Poor him, if he gets fired he still gets paid for this season. Not to mention he'll surely be working somewhere else in some capacity almost right away.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  4. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    To tell you the truth, I really don't think he'll be fired. It's my understanding he is actually a pretty good offensive line coach and will probably be asked to stay on in that capacity.

He's liked by the players...he's a great motivator at a subordinate level, but he was/is probably in over his head as a head coach.

Wish I could find the link, but I did see a story of him possibly remaining with the Dolphins at a subordinate level.

5. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Doesn't happen to coaches. They are given more respect. That's the difference.

6. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    This is definately an ugly situation no matter how you look at it. In my honest opinion any potential HC candidate with any intergity would look Ross and Ireland square in the face and ask "Why should I even consider working for you in that capacity seeing how you are already treating the the guy I am set to replace?" People skills, honor and integrity are still incorporated in the business world and in my opinion any coach who agrees to take the job while Sparano is hanging in limbo is not the kind of coach that is going to take us where we need to go.JMO.

DolfanJake likes this.
  7. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    That's true.....we tampered and got him :lol:

8. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Ummmm, yes he was in a civil lawsuit brought on by his ex-wife's family & the Goldman's. They won a $ 40 million judgement. He was convicted of being responsible for their murders.

9. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    At least under Wayne we got to an AFC Championship in his 2nd year of ownership.

10. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    You can't do that in the NFL. If you are moved to another position as an NFL coach it has to be an upgrade. You cannot stay on the same team unless its an upgrade. There is no upgrade from HC, so the only place Tony can go is out the door.

11. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Its not that they don't want him back, they do want him back. However they think they can find someone better. If they can, then they don't want him back. Ya know, its identical to what the Dolphins and Sparano do on a weekly basis with their players. Especially the bottom of the roster guys. If we can find someone better, you're out, he's in. We're always actively looking for replacements while having guys under contract. The only downside, is the news attention this has gotten. I dont think its a matter of Ross absolutely not wanting Sparano back, I think he does, but at the same time if he can find someone better, he's going to. Obviously Tony is OK with what's going on, if he wasn't, he would have resigned himself by now.

12. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    You guys need to read the rules regarding NFL coaches. You cannot be downgraded from HC to position coach on the same team in the NFL.

13. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Such a high value that they are nearly bankrupt from being unable to fire incompetent workers or forced to pay ridiculous pensions.

14. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    When did Daniel Snyder buy the Dolphins? That's right folks. WE now have the dumbest owner in sports.

15. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Why?

He maybe should have just fired Sparano outright, but this is a business and Sparano is a big boy.

Until Ross starts making draft choices, let's not compare him with Snyder

16. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    You don't cut off your nose despite your face first things first.

17. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    maybe the most ridiculous post I've seen in awhile.

18. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ

Sometimes respect is not enough,Does respect bring in more fans to a game ? Im pretty sure not, he wants to win now and is doing everything he can to build a winning team.

Not sure he is right , Im just going to sit back and see what happens ,I keep hearing Jim Harbaugh is good but reminds me of Saban days.

19. Zod

Nov 25, 2007
    SssssssshhiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaT........... A guy went to Texas and recruited a high school kid to come to Stanford. Ride that dream dude. Ride it out! It's the moron's money anyway.

20. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    Was it any better when Shula "retired" or Tom Landry was replaced?It is an ugly cruel world when you are a millionaire working for a billionaire.

21. Phinvader Bill

Phinvader Bill The all new Mr. Event

May 1, 2009
    Columbia, SC
    I really don't care what they do. Every time I read threads where people are saying they are pissed because of how X coach or Y player are treated, I kind of laugh to myself. These people are millionaires, and will be able to land on their feet, and get back into the swing of things without even missing a beat. Tell me..Are these people who are being defended like they are heroes or something going to stand up and defend you if you lose your job? No. In fact, you would get a season ticket renewal letter in the mail. How insensitive is that? Sending you a request for money when you are out of work?? Are you also going to start a thread if Matt Damon loses a movie part to Woody Harrelson? Come on. There are much more pressing things to be worked up about. Things that you can control that affect your life. A millionaire coach's job is not one of them.

22. Zod

Nov 25, 2007
    Then why are you here?

23. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I think this is beyond the pale.

That Stephen Ross is planning to pay upwards of 2 MILLION dollars to Tony Sparano to sit around and watch TV at home next year is just plain MEAN. How can Stephen Ross be SO cruel?

jetssuck, jdang307, NaboCane and 2 others like this.
  24. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    You know how you solve this?
    You don't finish with the same crappy record as the previous year (including losing to the Browns, Lions, and Bills) despite getting 2 big FA acquisitions, and an outstanding DC..
    Tony made his own bed here, now he gets to lay in it.

Instead of being pissed at Ross, how about being mad at the guy who put us in this situation in the first place.

Just curious, but how is a million+ dollar pay day considered "putting a guy's life in a holding pattern?"

Bottom line: Sparano didn't deliver. Not only will he STILL get paid when we fire him, but he'll get paid by whatever team hires him next...... so basically by failing here, he now stands to be paid twice. I don't feel bad for the guy AT ALL.

25. Auburn

Auburn New Member

Dec 13, 2010
    The real crux here is at best Tony is a lame duck coach now. Silly. Get rid of him and bring in Cowher. Harbaugh will likely end up in SF anyway. Cowher wants to coach, on inside the NFL they said he would go to Miami. Get it done.

26. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    there has to be some serious merging done on these threads

gunn34 and Da 'Fins like this.
  27. hazed819

hazed819 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    LOL life on thwe line eh. lets see 3million a year for 3years +1 one whether or not he gets ****canned thats 12 millions minus uncle sam's cut of what 1 mill leaves him with 11 million dollars... yeah i stopped feeling sorry for him long ago. You should too

28. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    just business, nothing personal

29. Phinvader Bill

Phinvader Bill The all new Mr. Event

May 1, 2009
    Columbia, SC
    Just to piss you off. ;)

Zod and NaboCane like this.
  30. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Seriously - who can feel sorry for Sparano? The guy is getting paid through next year - whether he has a job or not. I suspect he's not listening to the media and by now is probably fired. But, big deal? Whether it was Monday or today, he's not going to be happy about being fired. I don't think it matters which day. But, at the same time, he has a GREAT pay check coming his way.

And, I bet there is hardly a person on this site who would not trade places with Sparano right now (to be given his contract the past 3 years and know you are going to get paid his $$ the next year). I'd take that in a heartbeat then go to an island and retire on the interest.

Let's get over the feeling sorry for this guy.

And, indeed, how about a merger of the threads.

Texphinphan likes this.
  31. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    Sparano gets bought out. He's not exactly "on hold." Besides, we have no clue what they've discussed with Sparano behind closed doors. For all we know he could have known what the deal was and put out some feelers. Honestly, as fans we have no REAL idea of exactly what is going on, only what is reported.

32. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Why should coaches and football players be treated any differently?

33. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Wine. whining would be unattractive.

And if Sparano really was a stand-up guy, he would have stood up FOR THE FANS, THE PLAYERS AND THE TEAM'S LEGACY at any point during the season and fired Henning.

He's getting exactly what he deserves.

34. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Stephen Ross is a schmuck on wheels.

BicketyBam likes this.
  35. Texphinphan

Texphinphan Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    One day I hope to be disrespected to the tune of $3 million.
    Only way Tony loses is if he got his feelings hurt soooo bad that he quits. I don't suspect that will happen

36. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If he had the power, which I'm not so sure he did.

37. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    You think other coaches around the NFL don't notice this?

38. Vaark

Vaark Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium

Mar 26, 2008
    [​IMG]

"You see you can't please everyone so you've gotta please yourself"
    - Rick Nelson, Garden Party, Stephen M. Ross, Mega Billionaire

39. Zod

Nov 25, 2007
    The season is over. I can't get pissed anymore. A depression shall soon take over until Spring.....

[video=youtube;-7nTjQ7Y6UM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7nTjQ7Y6UM&feature=related[/video]

Phinvader Bill likes this.
  40. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    Padre I'm afraid you are very wrong, the guy paid 1.1 billion for the team and inherited this mess, Parcells took advantage of a reputation based on no results, poor wayne.
    **** these guys they wasted 3 years of this team history

Vaark and NaboCane like this.