1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

State of Team: (Post-Preseason Game 1)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by zwave21, Aug 11, 2014.

1. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Guys, it's been awhile since I've posted on here but after letting the offseason wind down and training camp starting up I didn't want to jump to any premature opinions about the team. I am always glued to twitter during the work day reading highlights or lowlights from camp. Got to be honest it's tough to stay positive with some of the beat writers we have (cough: Omar Kelly, Chris Perkins, etc.) Although I like the work that Adam Beasley, Andrew Abramson, and of course Barry Jackson produce. Below are some positives and negatives I have taken away from practice reports and this week's game against the Falcons.

Positives:

1. Ryan Tannehill: Yes, he has had some rocky practices that I have read about but from what I saw in the game and what I know about practices I am more than enthused. One big thing people need to realize that in practice the defense should trump the offense more often than not. The offense doesn't go into practice with a script or gameplan like they do on gamedays, it is more generic playcalling making sure to highlight enough reps for each play and personnel package. Also, I view our pass rush and pass defense as Top 10 in the league so I'd be more concerned if they weren't making plays. Anyway, in the game on Friday I saw a QB who just looked much more decisive. One thing that really stood out is quick decisions without patting the ball. You can tell the change of OC has really given RT17 a chance to improve on areas which he struggled with. His ball placement was beautiful on that Matthews throw allowing him to pick up yards after the catch. Only thing I'd like to see is him keep the ball on the read-option, not frequently but at least 3-4 times a game to keep the defense honest. I would like to see him in the 35 yard range rushing weekly.

2. Bill Lazor: Yes, he is making a huge difference. One look at our QB some of hig biggest pet peeves were not as apparent in week one of preseason. He is making tweaks to Tannehill's game while also focusing on emphaizing his strengths and trying to mask his weaknesses. Additionally, his play calling on that first drive might have been the best drive I have ever seen as a Dolphin fan from a gameplan and rythym perspective. I have watched years and years of Phins teams coming out flat or ill-prepared especially on offense. This team was not. Lazor came out with a plan and RT17 ran it to perfection. Yes, perfection. I only hope to see more and more of this in the following weeks. Again remember, he did this without his 3 top receiving options in Wallace, Hartling, and Clay.

3. Pass Blocking from 1st Team: One number stands out: 0. In the amount of times RT17 was hit or sacked. Progress is a good thing people and this was a step in right direction. Also the quickness in which Lazor wants decision's to be made is a big help.

4. Vet Stepping Up: One big thing to create continued success is cultivating and developing talent. This is one area we have struggled at mightily over the years which has kept us from being a consistent winner. I like what I've heard in regards to players rising to the challenge. Lamar Miller - after a disappointing 2013 he seems to be relishing the starting role and running with more authority. There is no doubt in talent, hopefully he is put in position to make plays. Dion Sims - everything I have seen and read he has been taking a strangle hold on the #2 TE job and I for one am very pleased to hear it. In Philly, they used Zac Ertz as the joker TE and Celek as the more in-line guy, and I hope that Clay and Sims can replicate that type of production. Dallas Thomas - jury is still out on him but to go from never sniffing the field as a rookie to starting RG through 2 weeks of camp is an improvement, he needs to get better push in run game. Jamar Taylor/Will Davis - each seems to be having a good camp, I do need to see it more from Taylor when the lights come on. Davis is always going to be a boom/bust type corner but when it's boom he is the type of guy who feeds off momentum. With Reshad Jones missing 4 games and Jimmy Wilson moving to safety one of these guys needs to lock down the #3 CB job. Speaking of Jimmy Wilson, he is one player who just keeps making me eat my words. He provides a real value to this defense especially in the fact he is a jack of all trades type piece. I was tempted to put Koa Misi on this list and while he has done all right things in embracing MLB role, I need to see it in live game action, jury still out.

5. Rookies Showing They Belong: We were in the bottom 3 in terms of snap count production from our 2013 NFL Draft Class... Yes, and that is the one we traded for the #3 overall pick. In terms of a premiere on the NFL stage I hope we don't have another draft class in history that replicates the 2013 class. Injuries, lack of development, and some head scatching can be put to blame. Literally all of our first 5 picks from that class dealth with injuries that caused miss games. This year's picks of JuWan James, Jarvis Landry, Billy Turner, Walt Aikens, Arthur Lynch, Jordie Tripp, Matt Hazel, and Terrance Fede have had some impact so far some more than others. James was a major need pick, while some would've preferred a flashier pick he was the selection based off of the biggest weakness in the NFL. From what I have heard in practice he struggles vs. Cam Wake but who doesn't? The fact is I am much happier him going against and All-Pro caliber player everyday than going against a weaker one. His pass blocking is much better than his run blocking and I am interested to see in coming weeks how he fares against superior talent than that of the ATL D-Line. Jarvis Landry seemed to always play second fiddle to the speedier Odell Beckham in college despite superior production. When draft day came such was the story again, but one thing is apparent the kid is a football player through and through. After the negative media cloud that always seems to loom in Davie his presence is a welcome sight. He takes care of business on and off the field. He is the type of player who may not start year 1 but he is someone who needs the ball a few times a game cause he can make things happen. Billy Turner, some may have jumped the gun on him starting right away but I think he could become a 1st team player by week one if he can keep improving. He is a mauler in the run game something our 1st team guards are not. With Daryn College locking down the LG position barring injury, it really is between Shelley Smith, Turner, and Thomas for the other position. Turner being the biggest and strongest but the youngest of the group. Aikens has moved to Safety where I think it will be a long-term fit. Lynch needs to step up to make 53 and with Egnew injured he has every opportunity too. Jordie Tripp like Landry may not overwhelm you with his measurables or his performance at the combine but he is a football player. Makes a play in the scrimmage and then has the 4th highest graded game in the Falcons game. One thing needs to happen and that is to get him more plying time with starters to see if he belongs. Hazel was always a stretch to make 53 but he could be intriguing for P.S. Fede may be the most pleasant suprise of the group. The Phins seem to have success with 7th rounders and with Dion Jordan out for first 4 weeks, Fede could make initial 53. He has size and talent that needs to be developed. A couple undrafted players also have outside shot: Anthony Johnson, Gator Hoskins, Chris McClain, Brett Brackett, and Damien Williams.

Negatives:

1. Linebacker play: If there is one major thing that could keep our Defense from being a Top 5 unit it is the play in the middle. IF the OLine didn't stink up the league so badly on a consistent weekly basis the LB play would've been more notoriously negative throughout the grapevine. Worst part is all were signed to high money deals that have cost burden if cut. Koa Misi was the most respectable of last year's group, and he was on the field the least. I think the move to ILB is a good attempt and may work out but after Friday's game I am not happy with any of them. Moving Ellerbe outside is better option cause he cannot diagnose and shed blockers like we need in the middle. Misi should do well in run support but covering the pass is still a question. Phillip Wheeler is awful and I can not stand watching him in the starting 11 week to week. My hope was that we would put more emphasis in the draft on finding a LB to challenge and while we waited we might have in Jordie Tripp. I was also expecting to see more of Jelani Jenkins in the mix but just as in college he struggles to stay healthy. One thing I hope the continue to do is mix things up. Right now the starting 3 while re-organized is showing the same sh*t results. If it were me, I'd toy with the idea of Dion Jordan at LB when he returns in week 5. The DL is a strength and if Odrick is going to bounce back and forth between DT/DE and Shelby/Fede stepping up it isn't a terrible thought. But that won't help us for the first 4 weeks. I'd also try and get Tripp some looks with the 1's at both ILB/OLB. Also, get Jenkins healthy and get him out there too. Objective #1 should be replacing Phillip Wheeler no matter what. Now if Tripp proves he can hang at ILB then you move Misi back to his 2013 position at Strong-Side and have Jenkins for nickel depth. Or if Tripp or Jenkins steps up then you can sub them in for Wheeler. Put it this way guys, I don't think a rookie despite not being as experienced can be any worse than what Wheeler has showed.

2. Tackling: The LB's again were the poorest performers of the group but the defense as a whole was disgusting. One factor that can be attributed is the new training camp format but still it isn't like these are beginners these are guys who for some have been playing 20+ years of organized football. This stuff is so fundamental that it is sad someone with the title professional can be so poor at it. The NFL has become a league of throwing your body violently at a ball carrier with no attempt to wrap up and secure. Well, newsflash ball carriers have gotten bigger and stronger too so that initial hit may falter them it doesn't always stop them. Our body position on tackles was terrible as well as our angles. Reports from practice today were that tackling was a big point of emphasis and it should be not just this week but every god damn day.

3. Injuries derailing cohesion: Listen it's football I get it injuries happen but with a new offense being installed it is vital that our play makers are involved in the installation and preparation phase of training camp. On offense we have lost Mike Pouncey for contradicting length of time. For some it's 3-4 weeks for others it could be 8-9 weeks, knowing the athlete and competitor Pouncey is I'd be shocked if he weren't on field by week 4. Either way his loss as our only returning starter from last year's team is a huge one which has made the team desperate in signing old friend Samson Satele. Knowshown Moreno had a fantastic 2013 with Peyton Manning and while that definitely inflated his stats he still had to be the one to do it and he did. When we signed him I thought he and Miller could form a good duo but Moreno having knee surgery delaying his start to camp hasn't helped either. He did return late last week and showed some good runs today in practice, whether or not he becomes the starter shouldn't matter but he is a huge need for this offense to be successful. Wallace, Hartline, and Clay have all dealt with minor injuries and while all are proven players I want them on the field with RT17 as much as possible. Clay and Hartline have a very good rapport with Tannehill while Wallace's struggles with the QB are much more common knowledge. Wallace needs to be on the field with our QB as much as possible and not just for the long ball timing but for the whole new offense scheme as Wallace will be a moving chess piece rather than the stationary one we saw in 2013. Btw, this may be the quietest camp I've heard since Hartline has been with us...don't be surprised to see Matthews/Gibson/Landry take away some of his opportunities.

4. Accountability: You know that aforementioned hypothetical cloud above Davie... well it just keeps on raining. All offseason we've heard about Dion Jordan's added muscle and dedication to taking the leap in 2014. Well, that is all good and fun besides testing postive for PED's resulting in no Jordan for the first 4 weeks. On top of that add former Pro-Bowl Safety Reshad Jones to the no-play for 4 weeks list. Jordan while not a starter is supposed to be a key contributor in year 2, while Jones is a starter and Pro-Bowl caliber talent for our defense and his loss will be felt. While I am confident their replacements can at least provide a adequate stop-gap its never good to lose two vital players for that amount of time. They along with possibility of no Pouncey or Moreno week 1 is not a pleasant sight.

5. Keeping dead weight on the leash: One thing I can point out that Joe Philbin has made some positive strides in adapting his overall coaching style. He brought on a new OC and OL coach probably the biggest overall needs on the staff. He is trying to connect with players more with more face to face interaction and adopting music to practice, etc. Still, the one thing I think he can't get over is the ol' "If it aint broke don't fix it" adage. Well, Joe there is still plenty to fix. One...Daniel Thomas sucks and should not be on the roster. Two...Phillip Wheeler sucks and should not be a starter...if you can't find someone to replace him then you didn't watch any gamefilm from say the last 16+ games in Aqua. Backup LB's.... our starters aren't good and are backups are worse. While Jason Trusnik is a good special teams player every year he is forced to play at LB it's like watching the blind lead the blind. To not be able to replace him in all these years is gross. Our defensive blitz packages... Tip: Don't stack every defensive player over the ball in a blitz read and expect to cover everyone. The formation where we stack our LB's over the OL or behind our DL is so frustrating cause it rarely yields a quality blitz nor good pass coverage. Our creativity in blitzing and defense packages really needs to improve, we have too much talent on defense to not be able to cause confusion and chaos for opposing offenses.

My 53 Man Roster as of Today:

QB: Tannehill, Moore
    RB: Miller, Moreno, Gillislee, Damien Williams
    WR: Wallace, Matthews
    WR: Hartline, Binns
    Slot: Gibson, Landry
    TE: Clay, Sims, Egnew
    LT: Albert, Fox
    LG: College, Smith
    C: Satele, Brenner
    RG: Thomas, Turner
    RT: James, Garner

K: Sturgis
    P: Fields
    LS: Denney

DE: Wake, Shelby
    DE: Vernon, Fede
    DT: Starks, Mitchell, Odrick, A. Johnson
    OLB: Ellerbe, Jenkins
    MLB: Misi, Tripp
    OLB: Wheeler, Freeny, McClain
    CB: Grimes, Davis, M. Thomas
    CB: Finnegan, Taylor, Brown
    FS: Delmas, Aikens
    SS: Wilson, Kovacs

KR: Landry
    PR: Landry

Note: That Pouncey, Jordan, and Jones were left off roster due to injuries/suspension.

Let me know your thoughts guys, hope everyone is enjoying the pre-season as much as I am

Bumrush, Colmax, Fin D and 2 others like this.
  2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I will never understand the obsession with Binns. Damian Williams is a more intriguing player than he is.

3. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    At this point until Daniel Thomas is not on this team, I wouldn't write him off this team.

4. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I agree re: Binns; other than being the tallest receiver we have, he's shown very little.

Apropos of this thread, Bill Polian was interviewed by the Finsiders today: http://www.miamidolphins.com/multim...Dolphins/0ac7075b-4e2e-4d09-8909-bd41d9e73a17

Just some quick notes:

- Really likes Tannehill...or "Tally"hill as he called him. Had him as the #3 QB in the 2012 draft when he was looking at QBs for Indianapolis. His rankings: Luck, Griffin III, Tannehill, Wilson.
    - Said that Dennis Hickey comes from a similar NFL upbringing as him. Appreciated Hickey's looking further into analytics in terms of player development/scouting.
    - Thinks that when Pouncey returns and the line jells, they can challenge New England. Said if Pouncey was healthy now they'd "be ready to make a pretty good run at the Patriots". Thinks Miami will be a 2nd half team once the O-line is cohesive.
    - Said to be patient with Ja'Wuan James; thinks he'll be good, but will go through some growing pains. Happens to everyone.
    - Gave kudos to Hickey for signing Satele to bridge the gap to when Pouncey is back.

5. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Sounded like he actually checked into the Dolphins and some of the positional issues/competitions, compared to most "analysts" who just blurt out what they remember from last year. Good stuff.

Barring serious injury problems, I'm looking for 4-4 at least in the first half, 6-2 at least in the second half of the season for 10-6 and playoffs...I don't think that's too unreasonable.

MAFishFan and Bumrush like this.