1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars Episode VII

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Bruzer, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The good news for you with kids is that the lightsaber part is "hard to find". Its not obvious, because its supposed to feel like an underground alliance kind of thing.

The droid part will be tough. LOTS of people had them.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  2. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    Wasn’t impressed with the Falcon ride. I was the engineer(last seat).You have to focus on pushing buttons which are either on your left or right side depending on which side of the cockpit you sit in. So You kinda miss out on what’s happening on the screen. Maybe my 2nd time will be better.

I enjoyed the Galaxy Land as a whole though. Seeing the actual Millennium Falcon was amazing. Felt cool having a section of Disneyland solely dedicated to Star Wars. (Can’t wait for Marvels section,much smaller, at California Adventure).

The other minor gripe I have is they only have R2 and Chewbacca characters for us older SW fans. At least that I noticed.

3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You have to pilot.

4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Last Friday I was donating platelets because I am a hero who likes to save lives by sitting in a chair doing nothing but watching an iPad and I finally decided to check out Solo.

I have about 10 minutes left to watch since the movie didn't take as long as it took me to donate platelets because of course, I am a hero who likes to help people with cancer and I do not have much of a desire to finish the movie.

It is not good. At no point did I believe that guy was Han Solo, other than the fact they kept on calling him Han Solo. His performance was fine in the sense that I didn't think he was bad at acting. I do think the character is poorly written and they tried WAY too hard to make him likable instead of having him give a likable performance.

IMO, the movie should have been space Payback set in the Star Wars universe where Solo isn't ever the "Good" guy, he is just not a complete piece of ****.

The story was bad. That action was not super exciting. The twists were terrible. I just did not enjoy this movie. I know people like to blame the billion-dollar The Last Jedi for Solo's failures, however, that movie failed on its own. Even if someone were to like it, I can't imagine them liking it enough to see it multiple times and it isn't interesting enough to see it a second time.

I do not feel upset. I feel mostly bored. Which IMO is worse than upset. I hate Rogue One, but at least, for the most part, I was entertained.

5. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    *shrug*

I felt that Solo was a fine, B- movie. It did what it needed to do, and left me wanting more.

6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    It left me wanting more Lando. If they made a Lando movie Donald Glover, I will be watching it first day. I thought his character was excellent.

I would give the movie a C-. So bland. The movie is Vanilla Dairy Dessert.

7. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Solo sucked a bag. I knew it would suck as soon as I saw the casting, but even with low expectations, it sucked a bag. A big one. Best part of the movie was Paul Bettany as Dryden Vos...

Gotten to the point with the franchise to where I either wait for Redbox or to catch them on tv sometime... Don't like Daisy's overdone mouth-breather acting and Adam Driver just isn't convincing as the emo-boy with Daddy issues baddie, which is weird cause he's a good actor and I like him in other stuff like Logan Lucky... just ****ty SW scripts and directing maybe.

Tin Indian likes this.
  8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I love Kylo Ren. He is like if Ben Shapiro or any insel was the main villain of Star Wars.

9. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Actually, I'd like him more if he were more Shapiro or even Vader like... a bit more intellectual and withdrawn. More cunning and menacing and less screaming and raging...

Personally, I don't find the prancing mad dog types who can't control their emotions particularly compelling to watch. When they introduced him and he flew into a rage and light sabered the computers, I was done with him and his stupid looking helmet.

They are slowly evolving these space movies into spaghetti (spaceghetti?) westerns. The new one most certainly is. They should learn what made the old westerns that are still hailed as movie greats actually great and emulate them. In the westerns, Kylo Ren's stupid *** would be killed by now or something would have occurred to alter his persona. Till then he's just an emo-punk in black trying to impress those have already died in the movies. His character needs to evolve or he'll forever be 3rd violin no matter how much they try to feature him. Maybe they'll figure it out.

10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    LOL at Shapiro being intellectual, cunning, or menacing and not screaming and raging.

Fin D likes this.
  11. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    You misread or misunderstood. I was referring to Vader.

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    My bad.

I like how he is different from Vader. Not enough whiney cry baby bad guys in media.

texanphinatic likes this.
  13. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I'd prefer him to be more Klaus Kinski's "Wild" or Indio from "For a Few Dollars More". LVC and Clint were known for the acting portrayed thru their faces... Facial ticks, hand shakes, eye twitches, jaw clenches, etc... convey more to me than some brat throwing a temper tantrum and destroying his toys with a light saber. Just an instant turn off. The guy giving him the bad news was more than able to convey his nervousness and fear of reprisal as the messenger of bad news just with his mannerisms.

Wish directors would get back to actually having guys act than over react. Have the fun of movies is when you leave you to interpret what's going on without forcing it upon you. That's another reason why Solo blowed dead goats. Ford was a better actor and his mannerisms were his own. Aldrich was just so obviously trying to mimic then. He just lacked the screen presence and character to do so.

14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I Hope you are just considering the Original Trilogy than the prequels. The prequels had the worst acting directing I have ever seen.

texanphinatic likes this.
  15. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Nothing on the new trailer? Jesus I am psyched as **** for this movie.

I love the idea of SW going all in with a massive space battle with modern tech in this trilogy. The Kylo/Rey dichotomy is intriguing, Rey being portrayed as being a bit darker is interesting, building up of the new rebellion, and the send off to Luke and Leia. Man, I am jazzed.

And goodness the musical score. Star Wars scores are just so phenomenal.

16. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    While I'm still excited for the movie, the trailer last night just didn't do much for me. I guess we'll see what we end up getting.

cuchulainn and ScottishFin like this.
  17. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I guess the thing that most intrigued me is the fact that the planet many of the scenes were on looked a lot like Kamino. And if that's the case, then that obviously leads to some very interesting questions as to why they're there.

18. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    It doesn't seem so: https://io9.gizmodo.com/disneys-star-tours-just-told-us-the-name-of-the-rise-of-1839295533

I thought the trailer did a pretty solid job of giving some generalized hype without revealing anything obviously huge imo. It wasn't my favorite trailer from this final trilogy, but it serves it's purpose. I do know some people are still down after TLJ, but I thought was fantastic, and I am very excited to see the conclusion here. From what JJ and everyone is saying, they worked overtime to try and tie up threads. That was kind of a big worry with JJ, as he likes to open doors that he doesn't always know how or when to close. This movie should be packed with goodness I hope.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  19. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    https://geektyrant.com/news/ewan-mc...i-wan-kenobi-series-and-confirms-some-details

Despite the long series of rumors and debates regarding the project, apparently Ewan McGregor has known that he would be starring in the Obi Wan series for four years. This is extremely interesting both because he had to either lie or not comment on it during that whole time, and also because Disney+ wasn't part of the public conciousness back then. I wonder if he signed on to star in a feature film and the plays changed along the way.

He says that the series will be six episodes, one hour long each. I'm really, really looking forward to it. Obi Wan is one of my favorite characters.

20. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    just amazing that the theory that came out after chapter 7 is likely dead on about palpatine. guy seemingly nailed it.
    I'm looking forward to this movie.

21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    What was the theory?

22. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    can't find the link right now. basically, after episode 7 - he looked at the lightsaber fighting style of Rey at the end of the movie and showed how it mirrored that of Emperor Palpatine in his battles with Mace Windu and Yoda. From that, he generated the theory that Rey is somehow descended from Palpatine, either by direct line or by cloning.

Fin D likes this.
  23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I buy that.

24. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    That would be interesting

25. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Well, the Mandalorian rules.

#1 fan likes this.
  26. ScottishFin

ScottishFin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Tickets booked for midnight showing , 00:01 on the 19th UK time :D Cant wait

27. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Just bought 10:30 pm on Thursday

28. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm much, much too old for that! My wife and I have been going to 10am movies mostly the last few years.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  29. ScottishFin

Dec 9, 2007
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Only really the big Avengers movies and Star Wars for me. The whole cinema just going to see one film is great fun and especially for Endgame the vibe all across the complex was brilliant. Although getting out at nearly 4am to go home was a bit of a nightmare.

Also The Mandalorian is brilliant, just watched episode 5 and while it doesnt move the story that much forward it is still very good. If the rest of the Star Wars TV shows is as good then we will all be very happy I think

30. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    7pm on Friday, can't wait!

I love both episodes 7 and 8, so I am super jazzed to see the finale. Finishing a story arc of this magnitude will be a challenge, but I think Endgame shows it can be done successfully. Most early reviews seem to indicate that it does a pretty successful job wrapping up most of the varied plot points. My only real concern is that JJ will try and just sweep episode 8 away instead of working with it, which would be a huge mistake imo. I think a well done final episode here will cement 8's role the same way that Return did for Empire.

31. ScottishFin

Dec 9, 2007
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Not sure what to make of that tbh, just home after the midnight showing here in Scotland. 7 full screen which is a bit lower then endgame but still decent.

Effects are stunning bit the Scripts a bit clunky at times and over exposition is quite bad in the first part of the film (yeah we get it you need to go here to get that but don't tell me for the 3rd time).

Third act is very good though lots of action and a satisfying but quick ending.

Main complaint is that it is very rushed , it could easily have been split into 2 films and it would've felt fine

Overall 7 out of 10, good but has its faults.

texanphinatic and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  32. ScottishFin

Dec 9, 2007
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Oh and if you've read any spoilers they are 100% correct on everything

33. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Good to hear you enjoyed it, some of the reviews are pretty bleak. Mostly the criticism seems that JJ went safe and relatively bland, which ... I think I will be ok with if it ends satisfactorily and is a fun and "pretty" movie.

I think people in today's viewing era too often have an expectation of something "perfect" and things just so rarely, if ever, are. I am still super excited.

34. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    And back. It was aggressively fine. It tried to reverse course on Episode 8 a little hard, but did it a decent enough way that it doesn't marginalize the film. It was mostly safe, expected - the twists were mostly predictable, especially for a JJ film. I kind of wish they had given him the whole trilogy. Not necessarily that he did a great job, but just for better narrative cohesion.

The movie itself was enjoyable, solid visuals, it FELT Star Warsy. I think it ended suitably. I'd be happy to see it again.

was Han/Harrison Ford's appearance. Killed me. Loved it. Best scene by far imo.

Overall for the trilogy if I had a gripe, it was a criminal underuse of Luke and starting on a poor narrative footing. Luke should have absolutely been heavily involved in TFA, and I would have like to see things like the Knights of Ren used immediately, see Ben's fall right away. JJ went way too heavily into setting up teases, mystique and other things instead of just putting that stuff on the screen right away. Reading the books (namely Aftermath and Bloodlines) helps fill in some of the blanks, but shouldn't be necessary. He got too caught up trying to recreate the past that he forgot to SHOW the "present".

Still, I loved seeing Star Wars on the big screen, I enjoy the new trilogy (more than the prequel trilogy by a lot, less than the original trilogy), I will watch all of them multiple more times because I enjoy them, and really hope they do more with the franchise.

ScottishFin and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  35. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I just got home from watching it. I agree for the most part.

I was disappointed when JJ Abrams was hired as the director for TFA, and to be honest I feel justified in my disappointment today. I just do not like him. This movie felt very paint by the numbers, just like TFA.

I enjoyed it, but I was missing heart and soul. Things were happening but it was hard to care. It was just fun seeing Star Wars stuff, and I wanted more.

When I heard the name, "The Last Skywalker", in a conversation with a friend I created a scene as a joke. That scene I created as a joke was the end of the film.

While I still think the prequels are MUCH worse, including Revenge of the Sith, that is a terrible movie. I don't know why people defend it so much. However, at least they feel like they tried. TFA and RoS just didn't try.

36. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I understand why they brought him back for 9, but they should either have given him all 3, or made sure to have 3 different directors. I think Gareth Edwards (of Rogue One) would have been a better choice if they didn't or couldn't have Johnson wrap it up. Edwards made some bold choices, and wasn't afraid of the moment. JJ seems like he wanted to celebrate the franchise, but at the cost of really moving things forward. Johnson I think may have gone a little too far in moving things forward, but still feel TLJ was easily the best of the new trilogy.

that JJ really didn't know where the story was going after TFA. The way he wrote off Snoke (lame emperor clone) and Hux (wtf do I do with this character, guess he dies) indicates to me how he was more invested in setting up mystery than in telling a coherent and cohesive story. Not to mention the supremely lazy "Rey is the Emperor's ... grandchild! Like, really?

#1 fan likes this.
  37. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I just got back from it. Not sure I agree with any of the criticisms I've heard, many of the critics just had a different vision of how it should unfold and didn't like the way JJ did it. The story wasn't real deep and it could have been a good 4 hours, but I'm glad they didn't. I've been an absolute fanatic for SW since Episode IV came out when I was 5 years old. I thought they did a good job closing out the series. I'm still stunned that one guy nailed the theory after episode 7 on who Rey was based on minute details. I will defintely go see it again soon. and for those of you that can see it in real IMAX (not the fake AMC IMAX) you really should. It takes a movie that might be a 7 and automatically makes it an 8.

38. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    It was alright. It was better than TLJ, but even the prequels were better than that awful movie.

Rian Johnson, clearly hated the Skywalker story and did everything he could to destroy the characters and momentum, TFA had built. He wanted to tell different stories in the SWU, which is great, just not Film #8 of a 9 part series. The parts of RotS that weren't very good were because JJ had to retcon and explain away all the damage Johnson did. Not too mention, the 3 main characters had no real fraternity between them because Johnson kept them as far apart as possible in TLJ. I'm all for Johnson making his own SW trilogy, he was just a terrible choice whose arrogance superseded the story.

Having said all that, my favorite Star Wars anything is the Mandalorian TV show.

39. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I just got back from watching it, and I enjoyed it. Good, not great. I felt that The Force Awakens was fantastic, and that The Last Jedi was uneven. This was in between. The first half of the movie was very enjoyable, but probably too fast paced. They tried to squeeze a lot in, and so nothing got quite as much time as it should have. The second half was a lot more straightforward, but also very bleak to me. Very surface. In the end, I wanted lots and lots of things to be explained a lot better than they were. I wanted to know both how and why things happened, that were left for the audience to assume. I'm totally fine with the broad outline, but wish that it was filled out better than it was.

40. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    I saw it last night, it was fine, my only drawback is some of the main characters outside Rey and Kylo (who were both fantastic), Finn and Poe (his swagger is just not convincing) were pretty bland and never understood the Rose character, talk about not bringing a damn thing to the table. Cameos of the old characters are usually good but the one with Harrison Ford felt force fed, I didn't buy it.

Overall I give the movie a B.