1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars Episode VII

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Bruzer, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    KeyFin likes this.
  2. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    With Disney in the driver's seat, it means that they will produce a lot more over the next few years (similar to Marvel stuff). They might not all be top quality but I'll definitely go see them anyway.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  3. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Same . A pretty good movie every year is better than waiting five years and hoping to get a great one, putting all the eggs in one basket and raising the chance of huge disappointment. If star wars becomes like the MCU, I'll be tickled.

Ohio Fanatic and KeyFin like this.
  4. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    For me it's just like being back in that universe again. I swear sometimes I forget that I'm not still 8 years old in the theater because it brings me right back- the feelings and emotions are the same. There's not another franchise out there that feels as magical to me....maybe Star Trek and Harry Potter come close, plus the Spiderman movies usually feel "special".

There's just something amazing about reliving those universes that we first discovered as kids- I hope they make 20 more movies. And you're right, they certainly don't have to be awesome in plot lines...a big part of the awesome is the universe itself.

Ohio Fanatic and Unlucky 13 like this.
  5. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I've honestly not been down on any of the four new movies at all. I've seen Rogue One three or four times now, and love it. I don't really grasp the notion that it or Solo are "unnecessary". Both are fun movies, and Rogue One especially is just really good and tells a cool story that we didn't have before. That's why I see movies in the first place.

Ohio Fanatic and KeyFin like this.
  6. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Without having seen Solo yet ...

I love Star Wars, but "fatigue" can be real, especially when they drop movies in a crowded summer. I just don't get to the theater much, and with Infinity War and Incredibles 2 (Disney cannibalizing itself haha), I couldn't squeeze Solo between them. One a year seemed fine, and the Christmas time period is generally slower and so it's easier to get out.

As for the movies themselves, I am really really really wary of them just churning out a bunch of formulaic biopic junk. Solo, Kenobi, Boba (God he is the most overrated ...). I would much prefer Rogue One style open/close stories that tell a new story. I was hyped for Rogue, but even though Solo interests me and I will see it asap once it is available in-home, I didn't really have a main trilogy or Rogue draw to see it.

7. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I guess I'm not as prone to fatigue because overwhelmingly, MCU, Star Wars and LOTR movies are the only one's I've gone to the movies to see in many years. I also don't watch a whole lot of fictional TV these days (drama/comedy), so the movies that I see are my primary entertainment. I look forward to every one, and my wife and I pretty much only get to three or four a year ourselves.

KeyFin and texanphinatic like this.
  8. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Yeah it's less about number of movies and more about timing really. For me, Solo was just timed poorly. It doesn't help that my wife isn't really a fan haha. I'd have seen Solo over Incredibles, but I didn't win that one. :)

9. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm extremely fortunate that my wife was already almost as big a geek about these things as I am when we met. 14 years together has deepened the bond, but she already loved most of it. We have about a 80% overlap in taste, so things go well most of the time.

We've been getting our two girls (6 and 4) into it all as well. We haven't taken them to a non-animated/Disney movie at the cinema yet, but I'm thinking probably next year. We're all pumped to go watch Incredibles 2 though. My wife introduced me to the original, and its always been a family favorite.

10. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Solo was just as good if not better than Rogue One.

Zippy likes this.
  11. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    not sure I would have married my wife 17 years ago if she wasn't a fan of these kinds of movies. while she doesn't obsess like me, she enjoys seeing them in theatre.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  12. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I forgot to mention Jurassic Park- I'm a huge fan of that franchise as well! The first of the new series they made a few years ago was amazing- who would have ever though we could witness a T-Rex and a raptor duke it out with a super-hybrid? Just the technology alone to make that stuff come to life nerds me out in spectacular ways.

The Matrix- that's another series that sort of started all this amazing new tech. I can still remember the 1st time I saw Keanu Reeves dodge bullets or actually flew away......<poof> mind-blowing.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Unlucky 13 likes this.
  13. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I read Jurassic Park back in 1991, and thought to myself that if they could make it into a movie, it would be the most amazing thing ever. And they delivered. The first one was spot on, and terrific. The second and third ones got corny, but I did like Jurassic World a lot. Not looking forward to the new one as much.

Have you seen the Animatrix? A collection of animated shorts based in the Matrix universe, some approved as official canon, or at least in the spirit of the movies. Its excellent. I would love, love to see a prequel based on some of that work, and then other stories from the universe fleshing it all out and giving more background details than we got.

KeyFin likes this.
  14. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I haven't seen it but I will check it out. The new Jurassic World series is better than the original in my opinion just because of what technology allows. It loosely continues off the old series and the first one is my favorite- they essentially start making bigger, meaner alpha predators by splicing DNA because it brings in more park revenue. Their latest creation escapes though and then all hell breaks loose...that's just in the first few minutes of the movie. The dino vs dino fight scenes are spectacular throughout.

Edit- oh, I just re-read and you already saw the first new one. duh!

The 2nd movie is also very good but it lost a little of its charm...definitely worth seeing though. And then the 3rd one comes out later this week.

15. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    The one that just came out yesterday is just the second film in the new trilogy right?

Unlucky 13 and KeyFin like this.
  16. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Yup, it's the 2nd one. My kid went to see it and said it was really good- almost as good as the 1st one. The media is trashing it for a weak story line but it really comes down to big dinosaurs wrecking cities and each other- do you want to see that or not? So I'm definitely going to see it soon. =)

17. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  18. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Apparently, due to less than expected ticket sales and some of the fan backlash, they might not make a sequel to Solo, be it direct focusing on Han, or indirect focusing on another character like Qi'ra. Given the ending, that seems shocking. Perhaps we'll eventually get another movie set in that time frame before Episode 4 that will tell more of the stories.

19. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    danmarino and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  20. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Just saw Solo last night and I really enjoyed it....right up until the very end where I was extremely disappointed. Darth Maul would have been dead already for at least 10 years.

*sighs*

21. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Apparently, because the cartoons are canon, he was somehow saved after being cut in half, and is now part cyborg. Dont ask me how or why, because I dont know.

22. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    So if you didn’t watch the cartoons, you’re lost. I just hate continuity conflicts in film...especially when it’s not explained

23. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Yeah, I had to read up on it and get the outline of the story. Apparently, the director thought it would be a cool idea to throw in, because the movie took place in a previously unexplored part of time between Episodes 3 & 4, and could have allowed for something else to fill that time period with before we meet Luke and Leia. However, with the movie not making as much money as Disney wanted it to, who knows what will happen now. They've already scrapped the Boba Fet movie to do a show on their upcoming streaming service instead.

24. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Just saw Solo myself and it was ... aggressively alright.

The Darth Maul thing didn't make any sense. I actually watched the cartoons (I'm a SW nerd, sue me) so I knew the whole bit about him still being alive (though it was kind of a dumb idea to start with, the cartoons did some fun stuff with it). Still, it just felt more jarring and confusing than anything else. Even knowing he was alive and coming it was just kind of like ... why?

I mean, they seemed to clearly want to set this up for a sequel, but this was supposed to be a standalone story, so ..... ****ing weird.

There were lots of jarring moments too. Like when the pirate queen took off her helmet and just stood there for a minute. Like, am I supposed to know you? Who the TF are you? Oh, I guess I'm just supposed to be surprised it's a girl and not some super scarred warlord I guess? The start of the film on Corellia was a mess but it picked up fairly well from there.

I dunno - it was enjoyable, but I am not disappointed to have missed it in the theater. Easily the weakest of the post-prequel movies. I probably enjoyed it more as a world-building movie than for it's plot or acting.

25. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014

26. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    The Last Jedi ruled.

texanphinatic and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  27. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I've watched it three or four times now. Its very good. It's really unfortunate that the troll campaign against it got so much press. Really looking forward to Episode 9 later this year.

28. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    No.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  29. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Rewatched it quite a few now, and it was excellent. Not a perfect movie, but none of them are. I feel it does an excellent job of recapturing much of the original film's mojo however.

Cinematically, it was gorgeous. Some of the shots and scenes are incredible from a visual perspective. The hyperspace attack was crazy gorgeous. The shots on Crait were stunning. The initial assault on the dreadnaught was full of fantastic visuals.

Loved the parallelism of the movie as well, the development of Kylo and Rey and how it hearkened back to the original movies without following them as by the book as TFA.

The humor I thought was mostly on point and placed well, from Luke's milk scene, to the porgs annoying Chewie.

Most the criticism I find completely overwrought. Like I said, there are definitely some valid issues. Canto Bight was a little preachy and overly direct and didn't really need to be as long as it was - it jars the pacing. The dreadnaught scene at the start was maybe a little to emotionally intense for being so early among others (though as a WW2 nerd I appreciated the scene as a callback to the old bomber fleet raids over Germany).

Otherwise, most criticism falls into nitpicking, which frankly can be done for any of the movies.

I'd still probably say Empire as my favorite, but Ill be damned if TLJ isn't right behind.

Dol-Fan Dupree, #1 fan and Unlucky 13 like this.
  30. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    I'm utterly mystified. Honestly. TLJ ranks dead last for Star Wars movies for me, and at least one huge Star Wars fan colleague sitting opposite me, with a Darth Vader image for his permanent desktop wallpaper - and a Kylo Ren bobble head type toy on his desk.

It almost doesn't count as a Star Wars movie.

I agree that the cinematography was, for the most part, brilliant. Can't fault it at all. Don't want to. It was beautifully shot.

The problems, for me, are with the story itself as part of the Star Wars saga. I won't go on a rant here and list the details because it's already been covered by many others all over the place. I'll just state that as a piece of story-telling it sucks. Even from the previous movie to TLJ there are inconsistencies and changes that are clearly a result of one writer/team taking things in a different direction to the previous writer/team. You just can't do that sort of thing and expect the story to come out okay. For me, whether in games or movies or TV shows the story and writing are paramount. Tell me a good story, put together well, and I'll likely be a happy man and forgive other consistencies and changes. However, do a bad job, and you'll ruin the whole thing, no matter how pretty it might be.

I was already not super happy with TFA as a follow up to the original trilogy. I felt it was too repetitive of the original movie and the writers missed massive opportunities to do something really good with the epic saga that is Star Wars. But, when in TLJ they took what had been established in TFA and flushed it down the toilet, establishing almost nothing in its place, it was a disaster. It was just all over the place, and didn't/doesn't feel like there was/is any real continuity or direction. In some ways that can even be seen at the level of cinematography where, for some bizarre reason, Star Wars introduced one single visual gag - the spaceship/iron moment. That's just inconsistent visual story telling. Never has Star Wars utilised visual gags - the sort of thing you might get in a spoof show or parody. What's it doing there? It breaks the fourth wall for the viewer, it pulls you out of the universe you're supposed to be immersed in.

The whole thing seemed to be a Star Wars movie made by people who liked the idea of Star Wars, but have rejected more traditional story telling. Gone is the classical hero saga/storyline. Instead we get a sort of slice-of-life Jedi drama. Or worse, a story set a long time ago, on a Jersey shore far far away.

Star Wars isn't supposed to be about exploring the existentialist/nihilist struggles of a force sensitive being. It's a fantasy adventure/epic. It's essentially a unique retelling the same story/stories told for all time. Not a deconstruction of that story or a place for social commentary.

Look, if a writer/director wants to try that, then fine. Make a new, 'A Star Wars Story' movie, and see how it goes. You can have full creative control over every aspect of the story and it might actually work really well. What you don't do is take an ongoing plotline and sage, and run it off in a completely different direction. It's like reading through the Fellowship of the Ring, then the Two Towers, and then, in the Return of the King Frodo says decides to pack it in, tosses the ring away and decides to explore middle earth by himself. Gollum overthrows Sauron, Sam dies somewhere in the middle, and then it looks like we're going to get an inside look into the family lives of goblins.

Who said what now?

No thanks. And that's why I'm not interested in the last movie. Not unless something changes.

Rogue One. That was the best of the new Star Wars movies. The true sequel/prequel. That's the sort of movie the sequels should have been, just set afterwards. Really, really enjoyed that movie. It felt like a Star Wars movie in how it was shot, drew you in, honoured/stayed faithful to the story. Excellent story-telling and creativity. That's the sort of thing they should do.

31. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I hate Rogue One so much. It is like someone jizzed Star Wars on the screen and forgot to write a movie with characters.
    No one makes any sense. The movie wa shot with, "this will be cool." Mentality.

It is hard for me to call it a movie, let alone a real Star Wars movie. It is more like a poorly done fan film.

I was so happy the movie was over so the torture would stop. It is pure and uttermost garbage in the highest order. @@@@ Rouge One and it's stupid message of hope that comes out of no where, its lack of characters where the only interesting one is a robot, for having a cool awesome Darth Vader scene that if you think about it for just a second is extremely stupid.
    Rogue One is everything wrong with the Disney Star Wars franchise

32. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    If you wouldn't mind clarifying something, are you saying you did or didn't like Rogue One? It's just a bit unclear.

:D

#1 fan likes this.
  33. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Yup. Hated it so much.

34. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    LOL you guys. I enjoyed them all! Honestly, I like every Star Wars movie, from 1-8, plus Rogue One and Solo. Some of them are 6s and some are 10s, but they're all enjoyable. Not all of them went in the direction that I would have liked, but thats still ok.

#1 fan and texanphinatic like this.
  35. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I respect the opinion, but to me it's extremely overwrought.

Sure, they could have done the "predictable" thing and made Snoke's background a huge thing, or made Rey the daughter of Luke/ObiWan/Leia/etc. Frankly, that would have been fine, but it was the lazy and boring choice, just as it was kind of lazy/boring (though fine!) of JJ to basically make TFA a rewrite of the original movie. Yeah, the iron thing was kinda kitschy, but I found it mildly amusing, it certainly didn't detract anything or pull me out of anything - it was just a screen reset device, no more or less harmful or harmless than JJs flares for instance. And I mean, kitschy silly **** like that is literally all over the SW movies. Think for instance of the squealing pig guard in Return of the Jedi getting sucked up by the rancor like a noodle.

If you didn't want a more existential look at the force and just a generic space hero story than I guess I can see the issues, though you have Rey to fulfill the heroes journey. The problem many seem to have is relinquishing the story from Leia/Luke (and Han to a lesser extent), but that's what it was always going to be. I thought it was an interesting and bold choice to make Luke an Obi Wan like hermit. As for social commentary, that has never been absent from the SW universe, from the questions about droids (segregation), slavery, etc. Not to mention the whole "authoritarian government/fascist dictatorships are terrible" that was the whole movie.

Rogue One was fun, but it was pure fan service more than a serious movie and had a lot of glaring issues.

Hey, different strokes I guess. I absolutely loved the take on things, was happy to see a bit of a mixup, especially after the paint by numbers TFA.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  36. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I have no problem with shows and movies subverting expectations. I just don't like them subverting expectations simply to subvert expectations.

This is a story that is a trilogy of trilogies, Rain Johnson wanting to play in the SW universe and craft his own story is perfectly fine and understandable, but doing it in the middle of a third set of trilogies is asinine, IMO. He subverted decades of story simply because he wanted to tell a different story.

He is making a new SW trilogy, which is what he should have been doing all along instead of changing this particular story.

Galant likes this.
  37. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    IMO, Rian Johnson was stuck in a huge corner by Mr. Mystery Box and did the best he could to make any of those "mysteries" make sense.

And, IMO, he did an excellent job with many of his choices.

texanphinatic likes this.
  38. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Snoke's background being a huge deal would have just been a waste of movie. Like having Khan being the bad guy in Star Trek: Into Darkness. It would mean something to the audience, HOWEVER, it would have meant nothing to the characters in the movie. Everyone knew who he was. That was the best he could have done.

Rey being a nobody fit the narrative perfectly. If she was a Luke/Obi Wan/Leia, that would have ruined all of their characters as they abandoned her to be a slave. Which is a terrible decision. She was wanting to believe she was more, but learning she came from nothing and still decides to be a hero. That is awesome!

Making Luke a hermit is really the only thing he could have done. What else could he have done? Why else would Luke be sitting on the sidelines while everything he helped create die? He notices what we all have noticed because of the prequels. The Jedi's kind of suck. Then he learns that the legend of the Jedi is more important than the Jedi themselves.

I really enjoyed the Last Jedi. It had a ton of problems. Most of them pacing and screenplay. IMO, Rian Johnson did the best he could do, with the BS he was given by Mister "Write a bunch of things and hope someone else figures it out"

texanphinatic likes this.
  39. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    This exactly. The whole Snoke thing just felt kind of like a red herring in TFA. Like, back in Ep IV we had no idea there was an emperor until like halfway through the first movie, we didn't see him until the second IIRC, we never found out (until the prequels) exactly who he was and how he came to be. ****, we didn't really even learn who Vader was until Empire and the big reveal. You could tell things were getting a bit weird at that point too, like the plan didn't QUITE come together. Think Luke and Leia kissing in front of Han. Gross. Obi Wan and his "certain point of view".

I guess if people expected more fan service instead of what we got that may have been frustrating or confusing at first, but I definitely enjoyed it, and seeing it again multiple times with that knowledge has, for me, just increased my enjoyment.

I really hope JJ doesn't do anything dumb like "Lol Rey, you actually ARE Luke's kid, Kylo lied har har har."

Dol-Fan Dupree and Unlucky 13 like this.
  40. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Personally, I'm very much hoping that Kylo either lied or was just wrong, and Ray does have some connection to another known character.