1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ST Coach Bonamigo looks to improve performance

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Aug 15, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2009/08/14/0815dolphins_specialteams.html/

Yeah, our ST were really bad in 2007 as well:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...fl/stories/021008dnsponflspecial.34df4b9.html

Were were 24th in the NFL, this with Ginn being named a pro bowl alternate and Jay Feely setting a club record for accuracy.

Of all the teams in the playoffs, we had the worst unit:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...ries/020809dnspospecialteamslede.38f0fd2.html

We ranked 30th.

Last season, the only unit that regressed was the Special Teams, but we also were playing the easier schedule, this season we play teams with equal to, or greater talent position by position and Special Teams performance then becomes more important as our margin for error becomes smaller and smaller.

Bpk, gafinfan, PhinsRock and 3 others like this.
  2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

a lot of fans overlook ST but it is SO important

Bpk likes this.
  3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly, look at it this way, the opponent scores on field goal with 3 minutes left and we are now down by 1, they kick off deep and we field the ball, if the returner can make it to the 40 yd line we only need 25 yds or so, and the additional 10 yds on the return put us ten yds closer to field goal range.

10 yds is one series for a first down, not bad for "free" yards.

That is why imho we need a designated kick returner who can excel at it.

gafinfan likes this.
  4. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    There was definite improvement in the coverage teams as the year progressed in 2008. I'm hoping we have a solid group of gunners who can really excess in the open field and make the big hit. It does no good to get to the returner and then whiff. We gotta box him in, and smash the ever-loving crap out of him. Ellis Hobbs is a dead man!!!!

5. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

ellis hobbes plays for philadelphia now

6. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    keys to 2009:
    1) Special Teams
    2) Offensive Line

gafinfan likes this.
  7. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    its better to have a weak return unit than a weak coverage unit. If our offense can move the ball, then we will score. But if we give up huge returns all day, our defense has no chance, and our offense is forced to do even better. It does work both ways; but I'd rather be great at stopping returns than getting returns if push came to shove. Although both would be awesome.

Disnardo likes this.
  8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    One of the problems over the past two seasons has been:

1. in 2007 the pats raided us for Sammy Morris, we lost Bowens to the Jets and Travis Minor went to Denver

2. in 2008, the roster was churned over constantly, and heading into 2009 our best all around St player, Erik Walden, is on the roster bubble.

and HC Sparano's philosophy is not exactly conducive to big plays in ST:

The ST unit is the step child, imho that is a mistake.

Bpk and gafinfan like this.
  9. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend Gish:six of one, half dozen of the other
    the game works this way: 1/3 offense + 1/3 defense + 1/3 special teams
    need to win two of the three (or superior % combination of the three) to consistently win games

should be noted

very few players are exclusively special teams relegating (in some minds) the Special Team Unit to a step-child status
    in reality it is as important as the offense or defense within the context of any given game

there are play books & special packages/plays for kick-offs & coverage & a seperate coaching cadre

however

they draw their talent almost exclusively from the offense & defense. Want to upgrade the Special teams?
    everyone is potentially a special teams component. think about it. where are the best players for ST going to come from on that roster of 53. you play your best. you play to win. can't play any other way.

gafinfan likes this.
  10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Why can't it be both? Returns and coverage?

During the Wanny Era, and the Nicktator era, we had a sort of magic coach theory for the Oline, Houck could take scrubs and make them into decent starters and it never worked out, imho Sparano is sort of doing the same thing with ST Coach Bonamego, he has to make do instead of having a good core of ST players who eat up roster spots.

11. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I can assure you there will be a major shake up on both returns & coverage.
    We will use the best fit to produce a competitive special teams unit.
    I expect to see a number of our first team utilized in the reconstruction of our horrendous SpecialTeam Unit in 2009.
    We simply have to upgrade.:yes:

gafinfan and padre31 like this.
  12. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Like Sparano said;if you keep changing out your players,how can you get continuity on ST? We did alot of that last year trying to get better players at the bottom of the roster.
    I see a big step forward this time around.Bigger,stronger,faster with a renewed confidence to get the job done.
    Everyone's job is on the line.If you can't cut it on ST,there's no need to put on that Dolphins' jersey.You won't be here much longer.

13. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    my sentiments exactly. could have said it better myself. kudos Friend 54Fins!
    "I see a big step forward this time around.Bigger,stronger,faster with a renewed confidence to get the job done.
    Everyone's job is on the line.If you can't cut it on ST,there's no need to put on that Dolphins' jersey.You won't be here much longer."

14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Really?

I sort of don't see that much of an improvement moving forward, Sparano won't use roster spots for the Best ST guys, they have to be the "right" ST guys, meaning if Brandon London isn't seen as a guy who can play Wr at a high level, he won't be here.

15. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Simple & only solution to the problem:
    Special Teams draw their talent almost exclusively from the offense & defense. Want to upgrade the Special teams?
    everyone is potentially a special teams component. think about it. where are the best players for ST going to come from on that roster of 53. you play your best. you play to win. can't play any other way.

:morning:every farmers wife knows:
    can't make a silk purse out of a sows' ear
    got to have the material to work with to get the job done.

:hammertime:Run GinnJr Run!

16. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Until they un brain cramp themselves and let Ginn return kickoffs full time like he was born to do, the Special Teams coach is about as much use as a baseball mitt. Ginn could be one of the best in the game if he got the touches. Biggest WTF??? ever if you ask me.
    EDIT: OK maybe not as big a WTF??? as a Jamar Fletcher or "who the @#$% is Eddie F.N. Moore?" or Cullpepper? instead of Brees? but still
    WHY ISN'T TED GINN RETURNING KICKOFFS?!?!???

gafinfan likes this.
  17. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

ST's was hurt big last year by the incredible turnover or churning of the bottom of the roster. This year there will be a lot more continuity, yes we will still churn the bottom of the roster when an upgrade becomes available, but we have a LOT more talent on the roster this year so expect less turnover in ST's. This should help us to get to where ST's was the last 6 games last season, much earlier this season.

18. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I just don't understand why you think that the only way to have a good STs unit is to have a roster spot set aside for a STs ace. Or that if you don't have that designated roster spot you therefore don't care about STs.

Bpk likes this.
  19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Because you cannot demand performance then dispose of the ST players who do perform, that puts ST Coach Bonaemgo in the situation of retraining ST fillins over and over again during the season, and their performance is unknown until the ball is kicked off.

20. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    C'mon John, what are we doing out there?!?! Coverage is dreadful the past 2 weeks!

21. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    we took a step back last night in terms of coverage

Bpk likes this.
  22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well...sort of, it was more of mixed bag, we allowed that long return (with Fields being held) and Chris Williams muffed that led to a TD, but we also recovered a fumble on a punt and defended a busted FG play.

And Bryan should have hung onto the first fumbled punt...

23. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I said it elsewhere and I'll repeat it here with a solid ST core (PLEASE somebody let Ginn return kick offs) we are Super Bowl bound. If we get the same old same old then we'll make the play offs but not make it past the second round!! JM2C:pity:

Puka-head likes this.
  24. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Most of your STs will be made up of players who do something else. That's the reality of roster limits. How those players play together is what will determine if your STs excel or not. It will not be because you saved a roster spot for a STs ace.

The one exception would be an outstanding returner.

25. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I'm drinking the kool-aid on a Super Bowl run. I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm b/c I know the odds are against every single team, but I'm doing a poor job of it.

gafinfan likes this.
  26. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    better do something because this is not a competitive unit
    they will cost us dearly, if not fixed immediately:nutkicker:

the fix: use your best on SpecialTeams :yes: every one's expectations should include playing SpecialTeams

can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear:deadhorse: got to use the right material

gafinfan likes this.
  27. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Bonamego had a strong track record before coming to Miami. In his 6 seasons prior as a ST coordinator, his units finished top ten, 4 times. I have to believe he can turn our STs around.

Bpk likes this.
  28. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Top ten is not really that exceptional though Mr. C, in a 32 team league...upper 30% is hardly worth mentioning.

Will HC Sparano allow Bonamego to have guys who can get the ST job done but who are not very good prospects to play their native positions on the offense or defense?

And you may and probably should laugh, but the thought of putting Jason Allen on kick return duties has crossed my mind, he is big and fast and dense enough to be fearless..

gafinfan and Bpk like this.
  29. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida

Padre you're very right about top ten by itself not being impressive, but I'd like to add I think if all your units were able to finish top ten you'd have a tough time not making the playoffs. It does mean something, though like you said not everything.

I think more than that is how close to the best and how much better than those behind you.

30. MrClean

Not worth mentioning? Jeez, would you rather have STs remain in the bottom third? I think having your combined STs ranking somewhere in the top 10 is very good, and would make a significant positive contribution to the team's overall success this season.

31. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    ST is the one squad that can go from 30th to 5th in a single season, that is the sort of dramatic improvement that we need out of that squad to have an impact this season.

gafinfan likes this.
  32. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I don't know that Bonamego shouldn't be able to do better than 30th this year, no matter whom we give him.

If he's worth his salt, we should at LEAST be middle of the pack.

If we are bottom 1/3rd of the league in ST's again, I'm sorry but Bonamego would need to go in that case. Maybe a good coach, but just not working out.

On the other hand, if he can at least find enough consistency to not make STs a LIABILITY to us, then our O and D can win us games.

33. MrClean

And our ST's coordinator's track record indicates he should be able to achieve that. THAT'S ALL I WAS FOOKING SAYING. :(

Then you tell me, oh well, top ten STs isn't worth getting excited about. :no:

34. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

That's the real kicker padre, Tony has talked a good line concerning the import of ST but when it comes to walking the walk I'm somewhat concerned that ST is treated as the stepchild or else Why is Ginn not returning kick offs? He is only one of several I could point to!:shifty::wink2: