1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spygate to Deflategate: Inside what split the NFL and Patriots apart

Discussion in 'AFC East Rivals' started by MonstBlitz, Sep 8, 2015.

1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart

A phenomenal read. Some old and new information in here. I'll add some more stuff later but here is one interesting blurb:

Unlucky 13 and MikeHoncho like this.
  2. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    nothing illegal about that.

I highly doubt you signed Jonas Gray for McDonalds runs.

3. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    The means (videotaping signals) by which this knowledge was gained was absolutely illegal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

4. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    it doesn't say where it was taped from, remember video taping is legal from certain locations. these could have been tapes made from broadcasts.

5. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Did you read the article? That kind of denial is just sad.

Agua likes this.
  6. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    I was going off what monst said, that's why quoted it.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

7. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I mean really? Are we really arguing that the taping was actually legal? If you read the article it points out about 100 times and ways that the Patriots illegally taped signals.

Agua likes this.
  8. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    again, i was talking about what monst quoted, not the article.

9. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    What he quoted was illegal. Yeah getting a guy from another team that they cut and grilling him for info is fair game (albeit morally questionable and lazy coaching) but using illegally taped footage and asking him to view it and go over signals that were illegally taped is you guessed it....illegal.

10. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    where does it say in that quote that it was obtained illegally? Videotaping is legal if done from the proper area of the stadium, just not on the sidelines and the coaching booth. if it is done from the mezzanine, for example, it's legal. both teams have to be afforded the opportunity to use the location.

Also, if they want signals, they can just go into a game against someone else prior to their own, all legal.

the rule is about videotaping and using the same videotape during the same game, not future ones. it cannot be accessible to coaches during the game. that's why the operations manual states "no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game."

the memo that went out prior to the 2007 season from Ray Anderson even parroted that. 'Video taping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent’s offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches’ booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game.'

And I think knowing that another team knows your signals and opting not to change them is the definition of lazy, not grilling a former player for information.

11. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Cheating is lazy, thats kind of why its frowned upon.

12. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    So now "a poster on an internet message board did not post the entire article, and left out the part that said it's illegal" is the defense of your team? Patriots fans get more creative by the day.