1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sportsmanship

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Sportsmanship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sportsmanship is conformance to the rules, spirit, and etiquette of sport. More grandly, it may be considered the ethos of sport. It is interesting that the motivation for sport is often an elusive element. Sportsmanship expresses an aspiration or ethos that the activity will be enjoyed for its own sake, with proper consideration for fairness, ethics, respect, and a sense of fellowship with one's competitors. Being a "good sport" involves being a "good winner" as well as being a "good loser".[1]

PMZQ, GoPhins!, joeydolfan and 18 others like this.
  2. Jackson

Jackson Bruce Banner

Mar 24, 2008
    Connecticut/Florida
    Sportsmanship is one of the biggest reasons why this board is so much better than a lot of others. The majority of people on here have such great sportsmanship and continually take the high road. Keep up the good work everyone. And I don't mean to sound unsportsmanlike but this board is number 1 and its not even really all that close!:up:

PMZQ, GoPhins!, gafinfan and 5 others like this.
  3. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Thanks brother, and we will keep it that way.:hi5:

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I have to agree with everything Jackson said. Great people on this site. Keep up the great work moderators and administrators. Your doing a great job.

Great post John. You always seem to come through with these type of posts when something isn't going as well as it normally is.

PMZQ, GoPhins!, azfinfanmang and 3 others like this.
  5. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Thanks brother. I just want things to remain awesome here.:knucks:

6. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Co-Sign with everything

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  7. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Brother, I have learned in life that in the heat of matters, sometimes it is best to walk away, get some sleep then reply or communicate back to a person for the best results.:wink2: Also the tone, and words that I use, also will make the situation better.

8. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Couldn't have said it any better myself.

FFIC is right, though. It's just like I told cnc66 via PM, whenever the Dolphins lose.....I'm going to wait a couple of hours to catch my cool before logging on. :wink2:

9. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    That is good thinking brother.:hi5: Give yourself some time to unwind, and think things out.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  10. Styla

Styla #1 Davone Bess Fan!!!

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal

No your not a poor sport, your a die hard fan. When the team loses we take it hard.Were like the players out there, when they hang there heads after a loss we do the same.We have a passion and that passion is the Miami Dolphins.We shouldn't let words on a message board bring us down.But, your right just avoid people after a loss"which hopefully there won't be too many this year", and all will be good!!!

Go Dolphins!!!

Jackson likes this.
  11. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Surround yourself with family and friends and enjoy the game. They are what matter at the end of the day and try to realize that while you are passionate about your team, this is only a small part of your life. I am just now turning that corner in my life where I'm not throwing and breaking stuff and yelling at the game, and I have my daughter to thank for making me a better man. Life goes on after Sunday, so don't let it ruin the other 6 days, it's not fair to you or your family and friends.:up:

Now if we don't beat the hell out of those Cardinals.......:lol:JK

tinytown50, GoPhins!, calphin and 3 others like this.
  12. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

Yeah yeah and if all that doesnt help, get drunk as a Sailor (No offense brother Marty) which of course will make it impossible to actually type. In fact, go on a week long bender, that way by the time you sleep it off, it all wont matter much anyways.......:knucks:

13. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    As another former anchor clanker, I'll have you know I resemble that statement!!!!!

Not really, but I just had to throw that in. And I also have to add that this board is probably the best I've been on of any - sadly including some theology boards which are more like mental armed conflict when a heated discussion comes up. Far and away, the level if integrity, civility, and willingness to hear each other out is, on this board, exceptional.

Thanks to all for caring for both our sports team and each other..
    Shalom;

14. jupiterfin

jupiterfin Mild Irritant

Nov 29, 2007
    Jupiter Florida

Haha, I saw that you unleashd on the Jets fans after the game :tantrum: I usually wait 24 hours before I go congratulate them, by then my blood pressure is usually back to normal and I can think somewhat rationally. One thing we all need to remember is that it's just a game and life goes on. Although, leaving Dolphin Stadium after the game I did feel like throwing a Jet fan over the edge of the 400's... But I didn't.

15. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

Really? All in all I was actually quite impressed with our squad.

In regards to the game, we were HEAVY underdogs folks. We were 1-15 last year, and although there are significant changes (To say the least) until we start winning on a regular basis, that is the benchmark to go against.
    Add in that the Jets gobbled up Highly regarded Free Agents and added them to an already talented squad, throw in an absolute prayer by Farvee and viola, we still almost beat them in the end.

I have no reason to be bitter with Jets fans, nor would I taunt or call them out. They have the W, they were VERY VERY fortunate to get it...but in the end, they are now 1-0 and we are 0-1.

I bet the Jets aren't looking forward to playing the Phins again. :wink2:

GoPhins! and Fin Fan In Cali like this.
  16. jupiterfin

jupiterfin Mild Irritant

Nov 29, 2007
    Jupiter Florida
    It was hard being at the game, I seriously could taste that last touchdown as we were driving the field. The Jets fans were all nervous and quiet and then all of the sudden BAM... Interception! It was like a switch on those Jets fans, within seconds they were doing their stupid chant and in general being smug pricks. For the most part they are not gracious winners and I had just had to bite my tounge and channel the inner rage.

I'm a realist and I think that 6 wins for us this season is optimistic, with that being said I want to win every game, hopefully all of us here want that, that's why we spend our free time posting on boards and watching the games and buying team merchandise etc... It's understandable when we, as people, are bitter and upset over losing, but, we have to remeber that it's just a game. Even if the opposing teams fans aren't the same way.

17. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Remember last year bro? There was a lot of in-house fighting, a lot even in the premiere rooms. it happens this time a year. its evident, this site is at its peak from april through august. We have the draft, everybody is 0-0. Hope, speculation, fun, with no chance of losing and the pain it brings.

This year, at least we as a site and fans are more unified in our turmoil. But I hear you and Celt and everyone. September bring volatility, but we'll all get through it again.

18. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I feel the same GA. I want my grandgirls to love the Dolphins and the game. I used to be awful during games with language and actions (I only threw socks at the tv tho') Now, I get down and sometimes depressed about a loss, but it's better.
    Every one at my church always ask me about our game and how we did. My Pastor is really nice after a loss, OR, he teases me badly. LOL
    But your right, it is a very small part of our lives and I love that small part!
    Ditto on the Cards.....................:up:

Georgia Fin and njfinfan like this.
  19. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    You rock Deb, and you're right. You've never seen me at the sports zone and I used to get CRAZY. Can't tell you how many cell phones I've broken throwing them after a loss. This week, everyone came to me and were so concerned about me (I had never missed a kickoff party in 7 years) and they all asked Mike where I was. They all made sure I stayed seated and ate something before I had my glass of wine, and checked on me throughout the game. Doc said I could have a glass of red wine a couple days a week. I used to drink much more than that on gameday (white wine, though). Thank goodness I quit smoking. It was a disappointing loss, but I was not disappointed with how we performed, although our secondary still scares me to death.

20. Themole

Themole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.

If...you do count that job you just lost! :lol:

azfinfanmang likes this.
  21. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Hi girl, glad to hear every one watched out for you. I never drank during a game, it would have been brutal. I'm supposed to drink 6 to 8 ozs of red wine each night for health reasons, but I always forget.
    I wasn't disappointed in our guys either. I think they are getting it together and will be fine.
    You take care and we'll get 'em next week. :knucks:

njfinfan likes this.
  22. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University

Say this three times then repeat it to Urban Meyer:up:

23. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I think its great for people to be able to express their opinion without insulting someone and to disagree with class. I hate being insulted just because my views are opposed or different from someone else.
    This site has a lot of class, unlike the previous site I belonged to where it was a common thing to be ridiculed and insulted because of differing opinions.

Sportsmanship is a common thread on this site and thats whats great about it in my opinion, you have to love that about it.

24. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Thanks Bro!:up: We try to make this the perfect second home where you can relax, unwind, and enjoy yourself.:wink2:

25. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    I can be the same way.....I am a very emotional person, and I let it get the best of me sometimes. Celtkin can attest to that :wink2: