1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Buzz...Postscripts, reaction on Dolphins draft and other signings

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Apr 28, 2012.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007

Regarding Tanny

Its a long and detailed blurb .Its worth a read.:yes:

Overall I think it was pretty good draft.What do you think

Trowa, sws84, CashInFist and 6 others like this.
  2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I think overall, on paper as we look at it now, I think it was a very good draft by Jeff Ireland. However, as we all know, you've really got to wait until these guys hit the field. He managed to find great value picks, good talent, great potential, and fill all of our needs with almost every pick. On paper, I'm happy with it. Lets get them on the field now and see how it goes in this new system, with this new coaching staff and these new players, then we can all really decide. Shame we probably won't get any credit for it though, from the media, both local and national, and amongst most fans.

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What I hope is Ireland has learned to not follow the "big man game" theory and this draft, while I'm not wild about a couple of the picks, seems to point in that direction.

For example, J Martin, yet another linemen, they don't score TD's, we have John Jerry etc, however at least Martin is not a lumbering ent of a linemen.

I like the Egnew and Miller picks, not wild about the Martin/Vernon picks, think we did some good things in the UDFA market as I suspect Fuller's problem was he was unable to deal with nagging injuries and still produce.

4. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I like it, I just wish that they could have grabbed a WR earlier. I'm not content with what is there now, compared to the rest of the league, and what that current group had previously shown. But overall, I think it was pretty darn solid. Just think that they waited too long to grab a WR. But I'm sure that sentiment agrees with a whole lot of folks.

5. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Martin was the best pick IMO. Solid value.

6. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

See now, I was putting Wr as their number 2 need but I like this drafts direction. Taking care of some needs with what seems to be good quality. The only thing was Lamar Miller but thats great value. He is a possible game changer if healthy.

xphinfanx and SICK like this.
  7. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011

OL doesnt score TD's? That's prob the dumbest thing anyone has ever said about a general football strategy. How many touchdowns has any quarterback ever thrown from his back? How many super bowls did the dallas cowboys win behind a monster sized Oline and a nasty defense with a great defensive line? We had no right side to our o line and got a first round talent and you're still *****ing. amazing.

Die_Nasty likes this.
  8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    But of course, linemen score Td's, what was I thinking>?

Hmm, could insert invective, but would prefer to model the behavior I'd like to see in others.

9. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    No they don't actually score TD's but you don't win without them either. Martin was a GREAT pick for a young QB who needs solid protection.

10. Die_Nasty

Die_Nasty Well-Known Member

May 16, 2008
    West Palm Beach, FL
    I really liked the Martin pick, I think that he can hold down the right side of our line for years to come. He is obviously intelligent and I love how confident he sounds.

Beats having Colombo letting guys by to nail our QB.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sure, the problem is we have spent a ton of resources on the OL, #1 and the #15 and the #41 and JJerry etc. that reduces opportunities to upgrade other areas.

12. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    There are five positions on the line. Out of those five going into the draft I'd say we were a plus at.....two of them. Average at one and horrible at two. Just because you invest in a position doesn't mean you never have to again. The only real investments we made were Long and Pouncey who also happen to be our most successful lineman. There is nothing wrong with developing an elite line through the draft. Especially now with the rookie pay scale. It just means you don't have to overpay for them in free agency.

Fin D likes this.
  13. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    With the UDFA WRs we got, to go along with the two drafted, I'd like to think at least one will turn into something worthwhile. So I've got that hope at least.

14. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    How Wideouts do you think we will keep on roster? I'm hoping we stash at least 2 to the PS.

15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Successful teams typically do not spend that heavily on their OL, the fact we have and failed constantly at it tells me either Parcells template was flawed, or Ireland just does not have an eye for later rd OL talent, either way the fact we have to spend 2 #1's, a #2 and a #3 and still have Oline questions is a red flag that someone is not doing their job very well.

The one thing that just kills me about that is on top of spending so heavily on the OL, they then have refused to play the guys who did not cost as much, or a guy like Jerry who literally has no shot at starting.

texanphinatic likes this.
  16. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Five or six. It really depends how they perform. If guys play well enough we'll keep them rather than risk the PS.

If I had to make a hard guess, I'd say 6.

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Maybe, thing is with DTrain, Bush and now Miller, you usually have a FB active, 3 Te's in Fasano, Clay and Egnew, we may only carry 4 active Wr's on gamedays, Hartline, Bess, Gates and whichever rookie/Roberto Wallace type that wins a roster slot.

18. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Even if we only had 4 WRs active on gameday (something I don't see happening this year, at least not unless injury related), we'd still carry 5 on the roster. You can't carry just 4 WRs on your roster.

19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    True, other thing is guys like Pruitt have their PS eligibility expiring soon, so they are in a position to either make the 55 man roster or be churned, iirc Pruitt, Moore, and Wallace all have been here 3 yrs, this being their third yr, meaning they could be replaced by this host of UDFA Wr's they have brought in.

20. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    i love how all of our needs were met in this draft. now we have to hope they all pan out and become starters. i loved this draft.

xphinfanx likes this.
  21. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Injuries can change things very quickly along with the fact the drafted players might not always live up to our expectations. If it's not broke don't fix it. Problem there is it hasn't been fixed right yet.

Edit: From what Sparano left us.

22. InfernoOrangeSS

InfernoOrangeSS New Member

Mar 10, 2011
    I am ok with this draft. I think Tannehill may become productive as long as he is given time. I don't see him being gang-busters this year. I think he could develop into a very good QB. I think we addressed some needs in this draft. I just hope they pan out as hoped.